Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Marthastew wrote: »
    [
    Tuesday April 9th
    5.17 avg pace 7.48

Good stuff. getting the Wexford pacing practise in I see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

menoscemo wrote: »
    Good stuff. getting the Wexford pacing practise in I see ;)

I'm really looking forward it now, thanks a mill. RQ says you'll do my head in chatting but she doesn't know I'm worse than you:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Monday April 8th
    Rest day...
    during which I discovered 3 crème eggs is my limit in one sitting:D:D:D
    :D:D

Then you and CL are definitely not twins ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

digger2d2 wrote: »

and the two of them did an ultra.......lightweights! ;):D

jcsmum wrote: »
    and the two of them did an ultra.......lightweights! ;):D

I'm hanging my head in shame.... no creme eggs yet today:)

however I have just been over to CL's log and it would appear that although I may not be able to catch her while running I could go for a PB in creme eggery:D:D, I'll start my training in earnest this evening

• Advertisement

Wednesday April 11th
    5.5 miles, hill repeats
    With no ultra to train for, I no longer have miles and miles to run so I’ve had time to read up on speed work in an effort to find sessions that will be simple enough for me to understand and complete. Hill repeats seem a good place to start and I’ve previously sort of tried these but in a half-hearted sort of way. I definitely need to find a good 10K training plan but most of the ones I find online are fairly basic, anyone got any good book suggestions? I’ve really enjoyed P&D for my marathon training, although I have tended to gloss over the sessions that seem like too much work confuse me.

I’m still taking it fairly easy enough after Conn as I’m very aware that while I feel fully recovered I couldn’t yet really be so I decided to do an easy trial run of hill repeats; About a mile and a half from my house is what I consider a hill, about 150m long but having just looked at my Garmin I see that the elevation gain is only 16 feet so I’ll obviously have to find somewhere else to do these. Anyway I did a warm up run to the hill gentle slope and ran up fast and down slow 8 times, slowest time up was 39 seconds and fastest was 37 seconds. Not exactly sure what I achieved if anything but when I do get the location sorted hill repeats should be easy enough to fit in. The sun was shining and this hill was beside the sea so I was happy anyway.

in other news; it’s finally time I come to terms with the fact that my career as a foot model is over before it has begun… three toenails from my right foot have recently parted company with me, I think they were just holding on to make an appearrance in Connemara:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I'd recommend P&D's Road Racing for Serious Runners as it has very similar sessions. The only guesswork involved is how many recovery miles to do to reach the weekly recommended mileage, and how to schedule each session during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

^^ +1

Totally concur, another P&d gem. Starting one of the 10k plans from this myself next week for Dunshuaghlin. They're 12 week plans so I'm just going to skip the first 2 weeks.

Thanks MM and Neil, I have ordered my copy and I'm looking forward to getting stuck into the 10K training plan:)

MM; Best of luck with the Great Ireland run this weekend

Neil; I must check if the dates of the Dunshaughlin 10K suit, we'll hopefully see you there

Thursday April 12th
    3.43 avg. pace 7.55
    The kids are still off school so it’s been hard fitting in runs but perfect for recovery after Conn. I had a half hour to spare so I flew out the door to a lovely sunshiny blustery day. Legs feel great
    Friday April 13th
    5.06 mile avg pace 8.15
    This run confirmed what I already know; a night out affects your running, this is the route I flew around at the beginning of the week at sub 8 min miles, I was struggling a bit by the end of this one, but I did have a great night out on Thursday, way too much to eat and drink:D
    Saturday April 14th
    6.65 miles avg pace 8.35
    I was delighted when Meno suggested we hook up for a run; I had been wanting to try out the DLR Bay 10K route but as it’s not the most scenic of routes I knew it would be nicer with company. We took it nice and handy but not handy enough according to his training plan, but then again I’m not yet following a training plan;) and I hadn’t worked hard all week like Meno had.
    Sunday Rest day
    Not exactly a rest day as I started the day at 8 AM on a bus with a bunch of 9 year old boys on their tour to Longford for a rugby blitz with a few of the local teams (some great spuds to be had down there, lots of big lads:eek:) followed by some sangwiches and tea. Then we tired the boys out even more by taking them to an assault course, they loved it.
    One very happy, very tired 9 year old in bed at the moment:)
    Total miles for the week 25.81

The boys are back to school tomorrow so I’ll be able to get back into the gym this week and out for a few more miles (Damn 1000 mile challenge, ruining my rest:mad:)
    My plan is to keep the miles low again this week and then start a 10K plan next week for the Dunshaughlin run on June 23rd, I’m looking forward to this as I haven’t followed a 10K plan before.

I’ll then start the 12 week P&D plan for Berlin, I think I’m going to give the 55-70miles plan a go and if I feel it’s too much for me I’ll drop down to the lower plan.

I feel much happier now I know what my plan is, no plan for me means lots of chocolate, nights out, drinks...
    (no plan=fun??)

• Advertisement

lots of big lads:eek:)

Between the comment about Frank's mickey during the Ultra and now this, I'm wondering if the bike crash has you out of kilter? ;):D

Between the comment about Frank's mickey during the Ultra and now this, I'm wondering if the bike crash has you out of kilter? ;):D

You're on form this evening... I'm still laughing at your post about Meno's Chinese takeaway:D

I thought we were applying the "What goes on Ultra, stays on Ultra" motto to my comment about Frank's Mickey, in fact I thought we were never to speak of Frank's Mickey again.....

You're on form this evening... I'm still laughing at your post about Meno's Chinese takeaway:D

I thought we were applying the "What goes on Ultra, stays on Ultra" motto to my comment about Frank's Mickey, in fact I thought we were never to speak of Frank's Mickey again.....

''What goes on Ultra stays on Ultra'' only applies to those who finish sub 6 hours... Anyway, the comment about Frank's mickey is not to be sniffed at :D

Monday April 16th
    Dip in the sea in Killiney
    5.37 miles, avg pace 7.38
    45 minute Body Pump class.

I’ve had a really lovely break with my boys off school for the last two weeks but I’d be lying if I said I was sad to see them head out the door to school this morning;)
    It’s amazing how much you can fit into one morning…..
    My swimming pals and I had decided we would head up to Vico Road for our dip this morning as the dolphins are being seen there on a daily basis at the moment, they’ve only visited us once at the 40Foot. Glorious sunshine as we headed down to the sea but no sign of the dolphins. The water is still quite cold so we didn’t spend too long in waiting for them to make an appearance. I jumped in and out a few times, nice bouncy water and warm sunshine, lovely way to start the week. As we were getting dressed we were chatting away and all of a sudden I saw them:) two beautiful dolphins:D:D They swam right into the bay and we were so annoyed we weren’t still in the water, we had to make do with waving at them and we left feeling very lucky indeed to be living where we do.
    I followed my dip with a nice fast, flat run in and out to Blackrock, I was running into the wind on the way back so the pace slowed a little. But I really enjoyed it, the legs are feeling good so I’m pretty sure I must be more or less recovered now.
    I then headed into the gym for much needed strength work. I’d no problem with squats, lunges etc, but I definitely felt weak upper body, press ups nearly killed me:o as it’s over three weeks since I’ve done any. It’ll be nice to start adding on weight and working a little harder over the next few weeks in this class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sounds Fantastic Martha ...you're are indeed very lucky to have all this at your doorstep ...:D Fair play to you for making use of it, there're lots that don't!

Tuesday April 17th
    Dip in the sea (brrr:eek:)
    45 minute lower body class
    45 minute mat Pilates class
    45 minute Pilates reformer class.
    Tuesday was all about strength work and making sure that I have no niggles that I need to be worried about. My quads and hamstrings were tired after overdoing it slightly in the class the day before but they were that lovely tired feeling when you’re not worried something is wrong.
    We did quite a lot of upper body on the reformer and again I really felt it but I wasn't concerned.

Wednesday April 18th
    Dip in the sea
    Half hour abs and foam rolling
    Legs felt great again after the foam rolling.

Thursday April 19th
    Rest day
    As this is to be my last week with no plan to follow I decided it would be prudent to have a rest day; An honest to goodness rest day, no jumps in the sea, no trips to the gym, no trips to the shops on my bike….. I know it’s exactly what I need and it will do me good but to be honest I’m cracking up and I can’t wait to get out the door tomorrow morning for a run by the sea:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

What is all this "dip in the sea" talk about?? Isn't it too freakin' cold?? OMG....I have a heater for my pool. What is the temp of the sea, and do you dip in with a swim suit or a wet suit on? (hmmm....I guess there are also other alternatives, depending on how private your slice of sea is. ;))

Dory Dory wrote: »
    What is all this "dip in the sea" talk about?? Isn't it too freakin' cold?? OMG....I have a heater for my pool. What is the temp of the sea, and do you dip in with a swim suit or a wet suit on? (hmmm....I guess there are also other alternatives, depending on how private your slice of sea is. ;))

The sea is indeed VERY freakin cold, about 8 degrees celsius at the moment. But it is SUPER fun. To answer your questions and to maybe plant a seed in your head for a stop off on the East Coast on your way to the West this Summer....
    I have been "swiming" in the 40 Foot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty_Foot) most days, year round for the past six years. I use the term swim very loosely as the water is so cold in the winter that we simply jump in, scream and get out again.
    I have a group of friends that I meet up with but if they're not around there are lots of regulars who are always there. We wear our swim suits as wetsuits would be too much hassle (and are frankly seen as sign of weakness by the regulars).
    After a LSR I have a quick dip and then I stand with my legs in the water for as long as I can manage, I think it helps me recover, or perhaps I'm just so cold I don't feel the pain;)
    My friend who was visiting from Chicago was brave enough to jump in on New Year's Day, you may have heard her screams in your neck of the woods?

So it was an all male nudie swimming hole, then the women's liberation movement (not until the 70s...really?) changed all that. I have this image of the fed-up local ladies strategically descending on this testosterone oozing oasis while all the local poobahs were having a session in the raw. Sometimes when it comes to getting what you want, timing is everything. ;)

Friday April 20th
    10.09 miles avg pace 8.23
    1 hour body pump class
    Joy of joys, back out for a run that allowed me to relax and catch up with a Marathontalk podcast. Today confirmed what I already knew, 10 miles is my favourite distance to run, not long enough to have to worry about drink, snacks etc. and long enough to feel like my legs have had a chance to do what they are supposed to do.
    I headed from the gym into the Sean Moore park and back home again and I struggled to keep the pace slow after the restful week. I kept the brakes on for the first 8 miles and then just ran as fast as I wanted, last two miles were sub 8 minute so I’m happy with that as I’m pacing the Wexford Half on Sunday. I also didn’t want to overdo it and arrive too tired to be able to enjoy myself while I carry out my duties. I’m really looking forward to running as a pacer and I’m doing the 1.45 slot with Meno so the poor people who join us are in for non-stop chat;);). I must admit I’m a little bit nervous but that’s to be expected.
    The marathontalk podcast I listened to was the first part of the interview with Katherine Switzer, the woman who is famous for entering Boston marathon in 1967 when women weren’t allowed. She went on to forge the way for women to run the marathon in the Olympics in 1984. I really enjoyed her interview and I was thinking that when she was making her stand and running Boston 45 years ago I was probably just starting to walk. We take for granted the right to run marathons but up until she ran everyone assumed that women just weren’t physically able to run a marathon. She is very inspiring and her enthusiasm was infectious while I ran. I’d say most people I passed were wondering why I was smiling so much:D:D:D
    I was also delighted to hear Neilc get an honourable mention for his fantastic Connemara PB, second place on the podium, well done Neil:D
    I arrived back to the gym at the start of a body pump class and decided to pop into it, unfortunately the drill sergeant was taking the class and it was murder, I feel fantastically tired after today:):)

• Advertisement

Sometimes when it comes to getting what you want, timing is everything. ;)

Timing is indeed everything.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I headed from the gym into the Sean Moore park and back home again and I struggled to keep the pace slow after the restful week. I kept the brakes on for the first 8 miles and then just ran as fast as I wanted, last two miles were sub 8 minute so I’m happy with that as I’m pacing the Wexford Half on Sunday. I also didn’t want to overdo it and arrive too tired to be able to enjoy myself while I carry out my duties. I’m really looking forward to running as a pacer and I’m doing the 1.45 slot with Meno so the poor people who join us are in for non-stop chat;);). I must admit I’m a little bit nervous but that’s to be expected.

Best of luck with it on Sunday!

Hmmm...the Wexford half, is this the race Oryx is doing on Sunday?? If so, you two may be pacing her (I think she said she was targeting 1:45 even though her pb is 1:41). OMG.....if so, then you and Meno need to chatter on and on and on and on with trivial drivel and drive her tee totally mad. :D

Glad to see you're back into the swing of things with your run. Isn't post post-marathon recovery glorious?? And you are dead-on correct about Katherine Switzer paving our way. She's a hero and a real women's libber. She would have been right there at your all male 40 Foot breaking ground for the local woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Good luck Sunday martha!!

Hmmm...the Wexford half, is this the race Oryx is doing on Sunday?? If so, you two may be pacing her (I think she said she was targeting 1:45 even though her pb is 1:41). OMG.....if so, then you and Meno need to chatter on and on and on and on with trivial drivel and drive her tee totally mad. :D

Glad to see you're back into the swing of things with your run. Isn't post post-marathon recovery glorious?? And you are dead-on correct about Katherine Switzer paving our way. She's a hero and a real women's libber. She would have been right there at your all male 40 Foot breaking ground for the local woman.

It will be no problem for Meno and I to chatter on with trivial drivel:) although with a PB of 1.41 Oryx will be well ahead of us, I'll keep an eye out for somebody who looks way too comfortable running with us.
    Katherine Switzer would have LOVED sorting out the nudie men at the 40Foot. There are still a few of the nudie men around but they tolerate us women, their average age is about 80 years old, I tend to keep my eyes focussed on other things as they exit the water:eek:

It will be no problem for Meno and I to chatter on with trivial drivel:) although with a PB of 1.41 Oryx will be well ahead of us, I'll keep an eye out for somebody who looks way too comfortable running with us.
    Katherine Switzer would have LOVED sorting out the nudie men at the 40Foot. There are still a few of the nudie men around but they tolerate us women, their average age is about 80 years old, I tend to keep my eyes focussed on other things as they exit the water:eek:

Yikes! Especially 80 year old nudie men in that freezing cold water!! :eek:

Have fun tomorrow.....and I do hope you get a chance to drive Oryx nuts!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Congrats on your pacing debut, when I saw you at the turnaround you look very relaxed and happy with your gang of followers.

Saturday April 21st
    Rest day (driving the boys to and from GAA matches, karate etc)

Sunday April 22nd; 1.45 Pacer Wexford Half Marathon
    13.07 miles, 1:44:36
    Avg Pace: 8:00 min/mi
    I’ve been keen on the idea of pacing for a while and I was delighted when meno pointed me in the direction of a post on here looking for pacers for this race, lots of spring marathons meant that the usual pool had dwindled so they’d no choice but to accept a newbie like me;) I approached this job like all the other jobs I’ve had in my life…… act like you know what you’re doing and hopefully nobody will know any better:D I was very lucky as this is such an easy course to pace and I had the expert company of Meno to keep me in line. Mr Stew was away on a golfing weekend so my wonderful sister-in-law arrived bright and early to mind my boys on Sunday morning. Aimann was very kindly collecting me en route to Wexford and I’m sure he was regretting it on the way as Meno and I chatted incessantly on the way down. The weather was fabulous leaving Dublin but as we neared Wexford the rain started:mad: We arrived at registration bang on time at 9.30 and met the two other pacers (nogutsnoglory and johnny99) and donned our fabulous high-viz jackets and balloons.
    About 10.15 we headed down to the start line, it was cold and blustery but the rain had stopped and the sun was attempting to shine. We chatted with Digijem, Oryx, Digger and also a few other friends of mine so I didn’t really have a chance to feel nervous. The gun went off and away we went… CL was there at the start to cheer us on (although I think she really only came down to Wexford for a fry-up:D).
    Having paced this course last year meno knew exactly where the small hills were and he reassured our bunch that we’d settle down after about 6K. We kept the pace steady with about 20 seconds in the bank and everybody was chatting away happily. At about 7K (see Meno’s log for a very accurate description;)) we entered Johnstown castle, it’s very scenic and a really nice distraction, however there were no marshals at the gate and a car was exiting as we went in so we had to slow a little there. then throughout the grounds we had to more or less run single file, so we remained slow with our 9th Kilometre being the slowest of the race (avg pace 8.43 min/mile) As we were heading to the castle exit just before 10K Meno whispered to me that we were about 15 seconds down, I had also noticed this but we both knew there was no need to panic and we picked it up a little after we left, and not surprisingly the next two Kilometres were our fastest.
    From there on we pretty much remained at a steady pace and most of our group stayed with us. There were plenty of water stops en route, although not exactly where they were supposed to be and a couple of times I told people the water stop was coming up when in fact it was just a group of kids wanting to high five, I gladly obliged:)
    Support was sparse enough but there were a good few friendly locals out to cheer everyone on. The rain came and went throughput but we had ideal running conditions. At about 17K we started telling those who looked strong to push on and we were more or less on our own at that stage, then we began to pick up one or two stragglers and then a couple of our original group on the last two K.
    At this point as I watched those around us struggling and pushing their limits I realised that I like pacing because it’s running a race without racing, no pressure, just fun.
    Before we knew it the finish line was in sight, one or two runners around us got some gentle encouragement to push on and I finished in 1.44.35 and Meno in 1.44.42, job done:D:D

I’m already looking forward to my next pacing job but before that I guess I’ll have to get back out there and start working on my speed and just HTFU,

Total weekly miles 28.53

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ray lanigan

well done for helping people achive some new pbs,spot on pacing:)

• Advertisement

I finished in 1.44.35 and Meno in 1.44.42, job done:D:D

Total weekly miles 28.53

So, you beat Meno. ;)

Great job on the pacing - to both (all) of you. Out of curiosity, if you paced 1:45, then what would be your normal race time? Just wondering what kind of cushion pacers have built in. And is it the same cushion for marathon pacing?

Advertisement