Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running with the birds or for the birds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

jcsmum wrote: »
    That makes two of us. Fantastic log and race reports.
    Good luck with the mini marathon. Not to put you off or anything but I've done it twice and never again. I'll say no more ;)
    It is a fast course alright once you get past the million walkers.

Thanks outforarun, jcsmum and RK for the support and well wishes and I'm always open to suggestions and words of wisdom:)

I've a while to go before the Mini-marathon so we'll see....
    If I don't decide to run it I'm sure Mr. Krusty Klown would be delighted of the excuse to don Emer911's shorts and take my place, I'm sure by then he'll probably have progressed to wearing cute matching sport's vests;)

Thursday Part 2

I had hoped to get out for a run in the evening but I didn't manage to. However a friend of mine asked if I'd be up for a full moon, high tide, midnight dip in the sea and of course I said yes! It had turned into a really mild night and I was happy heading out the door, I tried to convince Mr Stew to join me by telling him that the high tide/full moon/midnight combo didn't happen very often but he said he'd wait till that happened when we'd won the lotto and were in the carribean:)
    There were about 12 of us in total and we also had a midnight feast. The water felt warmer than the morning.
    No miles for Thursday but plenty of fun and the water is good for my legs

Friday 9th March

16.01 miles avg pace 9.05 min mile
    Glorious sunshiny run from Dun Laoighaire to Bray and back. The low mileage this week has me feeling strong and I really enjoyed this. I even managed a negative split, one minute faster on the 8 mile lap back home in spite of the fact that I was running into the wind.
    I arrived back in time for a 45 minute Body Pump class, great way to cool down but I was really hungry during the class and I spent the whole time thinking of food. I'm still starving all the time in spite of eating lots. I'll have to be careful not to put on weight during the taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

What's your plans regarding mileage for the remaining weeks?
    I've just done two LSRs over 3 days but I'm thinking maybe a 18 miler next weekend and a 10 miler (max) the last weekend...

belcarra wrote: »
    What's your plans regarding mileage for the remaining weeks?
    I've just done two LSRs over 3 days but I'm thinking maybe a 18 miler next weekend and a 10 miler (max) the last weekend...

Similar to you I'm planning on doing 16-18 miles this week and possibly 14 next week with lots of shorter recovery type and one or two intervalish runs.
    Like you I've seemed to need more rest days recently, I'm sure it'll stand to us. I sort of feel like all the hard work is done and if we just keep things ticking over we'll be ok in Conn. Not that I really know what I'm talking about... Time will tell:)

Saturday March 10th

up bright and early at 5am for this run; boy's GAA, Mr Stew's golf and numerous other things meant that this run would not happen unless it was early. I had been out the night before and although I drove so as not to drink I was shattered when I woke after just over 4 hours sleep. Luckily I had arrnaged to run with Karen or else I'm pretty sure I would have rolled over and gone back to sleep. Two strong coffees and a banana and I was out the door, almost deafened by the dawn chorus of the birds, a great start to the day even if it did feel like the middle of the night.
    I warned Karen it would be slow as I was tired but she had also had a hectic week so she was very happy to take it handy enough. We took the easy option and headed into town, I was hoping for us to do 19/20 miles but I also had to be home in time to let Mr Stew head off so we were running by time not miles. We passed lots of workmen setting up outside the pubs in Ballsbridge and they looked at us like we were mad. Karen was starting to slow a lot and she said she needed a pit-stop but the trouble with being in town just before 7am on a Saturday is that nothing is open!
    As we ran past Trinity a very bald Ray D'Arcy was on his way in and there were lots of high viz jackets to be seen, we followed him in and he said he was on his way in for the start of

Use accessible player and disable flyout menus _56394894_sequence1.jpg

Team Ireland
    - Craig Doyle (TV personality, captain)
    - Paddy Johns (Rugby)
    - Amanda Byram (TV personality)
    - Sonia O'Sullivan (Athletics)
    - Diarmuid Gavin (TV personality)
    - Shane Byrne (Rugby)
    - Niall Woods (Rugby)
    - Joe Barr (Cycling)
    - Ian Moore (Sailing)
    .....were just about to head off and their physio asked us to join them for the start, I of course was keen but Karen rather sensibly said we'd leave them to it. We wished them luck and had a good laugh with Shane Byrne who looked rather fetching in tight high viz lycra, he patted his belly and said he was an elite athlete:) Amanda Byram looked like she was on a fashion shoot and Sonia just looked like a greyhound dying to run!
    Having left Trinity we started to head for home as time was running out, we passed Jury's at the IFSC and popped in to avail of thier facilities, had a coffee,some chocolate and off we went. The last two miles were the fastest as we were under pressure for time.
    only 16.26 miles, avg pace 9.35, not quite as long as I hoped but I was home in time for Mr Stew to head off to golf.
    I did a half hour spin class in the afternoon and lots and lots of foam rolling.

Sunday March 11th
    Recovery run
    My son was playing away to Greystones so I squeezed in a very quick 5 miles while he warmed up and got started. Made it back in time to see two of his three matches and saw him score two tries:) To top it all off there was a cake sale on and we bought rocky road, Yum!
    Sunday Afternoon met a friend and we took the kids up to Djouce, the sun had disappearred but it was still a fabulous day.
    All in all a great weekend.

total miles for the week
    , a little lower than planned but it's taper time now so I'll call it an early taper week:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

A busy few days for you! Love the midnight dip in the sea, sounds so exotic even if it is Ireland in March!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Love reading your posts.....and smiled with delight at your midnight full moon sea frolic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Marthastew wrote: »
    If I don't decide to run it I'm sure Mr. Krusty Klown would be delighted of the excuse to don Emer911's shorts and take my place, I'm sure by then he'll probably have progressed to wearing cute matching sport's vests;)
    That's not fair. I nearly never do that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Taper, taper, crazy taper...

Have you got a rough plan for the next 3 weeks?

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Fact ; You must consume Monster Munchies during the race

Is this not why people run Ultra Marathons?! :D

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Taper, taper, crazy taper...

Have you got a rough plan for the next 3 weeks?

I was hoping belcara had a sooper dooper plan for us to follow for the next three two and a half weeks:)

My VERY ROUGH plan is to sort of follow P&D three week taper, by that I mean LSRs of 16 mile this week and 12 the next and I'll just run what I feel like on the other days. I generally do better on a heavy duty taper so I'll be erring on the side of caution. I'm still in that happy pre-taper phase where I think everything will be fantastic....

Monday March 12th
    10.03 miles avg pace 9.59min mile
    Lovely dip in the 40 Foot to clear the cobwebs from the weekend and then it was off to the GP for my annual check-up.
    Like a lot of posters on here I'm a newcomer to running; four years ago as I was approaching my 42nd birthday I decided to become a healthier version of me. I had plenty of motivation; my had Mum died of breast cancer at the very young age of 42 and I was carrying extra weight, enjoying a bit too much wine at the weekends... all things that would certainly not work in my favour. I joined weight watchers and lost two stone then somebdoy suggested I do a sprint triathlon and the rest, as they say, is history:D if I'd known it would be that easy I would have done it sooner! I'm in the very lucky position to rarely be sick so I never have to go to the doctor so once a year I get my bloods done etc. As usual he told me I was in great shape and said that if all his patients were as healthy as me he would be out of business:) He was a little concerned that my weight had dropped (music to a runners ears!!) but when I told him I had increased my mileage considerably and that I was also eating a huge amount he was happy. I told Mr Stew that he'd (hopefully) have to wait a few more years until he cashed in the Life Insurance policysmile.gif as the GP was very impressed with my resting heart rate; 48.
    Feeling very impressed with myself I went for a very unimpressive SLOW 10 miles, at 10 min mile pace but there are two reasons for this; I had run my recovery 5 miles too fast on Sunday (8.45 min pace) and also I ran these 10 miles in Killiney. I intend to stick to hills as much as possible over the next two and a half weeks.
    Finished the morning with a 45 minute Body Pump Class.

Tuesday March 13th
    No running, rest day.
    45 minute lower body class
    45 minute mat pilates class
    45 minute pilates on the reformer.
    Legs feeling great after all that stretching:)

When I was reading your log at the weekend and looking at your times and training, I thought you were running for years and years. Very impressive!!

Wednesday March 14th
    10.29 miles avg pace 9.18 min mile

Back to the hills in Killiney; I've a nice 10 mile loop that is challenging and enjoyable, the views are spectacular and I want to be as ready as I can be for those hills in Connemara. lots and lots of runners of all shapes and sizes out at the moment and this weather is making things so much easier.

no cross training:( as I've a lot on work-wise.

Thursday March 15th
    5.91 miles avg pace 9.03 min mile

Up at 5.30 to get a head start on work so I needed my dip in the sea to wake up.
    45 minute boot camp class that was really enjoyable and I followed this with a short run up to Killiney.

:)I'm feeling strong and happy... must be the calm before the storm... won't be long before taper madness hits, or maybe there's no taper madness with an Ultra????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

When I was reading your log at the weekend and looking at your times and training, I thought you were running for years and years. Very impressive!!

Same here. I try to justify my slowness by believing that the speedy/ ultra people are waayyy younger than me and have been running for years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Thursday March 15th
    5.91 miles avg pace 9.03 min mile

Up at 5.30 to get a head start on work so I needed my dip in the sea to wake up.
    45 minute boot camp class that was really enjoyable and I followed this with a short run up to Killiney.

:)I'm feeling strong and happy... must be the calm before the storm... won't be long before taper madness hits, or maybe there's no taper madness with an Ultra????

:eek::eek: I don't know which one I'm in shock of more...that's committment. Only time I'm up early is to catch a flight; didn't know humans could physically swim or run at that ungodly hour of the night morn!!

Training looks to be going great for you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Have to agree with this,......i assumed you had been running for years too:eek:.....

you give me great hope for things to come...fair play to you:D -but don't know if i'd ever get to the Ultra stage.

Younganne wrote: »
    Have to agree with this,......i assumed you had been running for years too:eek:.....

you give me great hope for things to come...fair play to you:D -but don't know if i'd ever get to the Ultra stage.
    littlebug wrote: »
    Same here. I try to justify my slowness by believing that the speedy/ ultra people are waayyy younger than me and have been running for years :D
    shazkea wrote: »
    :eek::eek: I don't know which one I'm in shock of more...that's committment. Only time I'm up early is to catch a flight; didn't know humans could physically swim or run at that ungodly hour of the night morn!!

Training looks to be going great for you

I'm always happy to get words of encouragement:D
    but the truth is I still feel very much like a novice runner.
    I've been very pleasantly surprised at how the training has gone so far (fingers crossed, knock on wood and all that...)
    I'm delighted I signed up for the Ultra, it has made me much more disciplined (early morning runs were never really for me) and forced me way out of my comfort zone in terms of training.
    Having said all that I'm pretty sure that you could easily train for and complete an Ultra, all it really takes is lots of time to run and strong will and lots of luck that everything goes to plan.
    If you ever do consider it for the future I would definitely encourage you to give it a go.

:)One of the things I love most about running is that it is such a personal thing, there will always be someone faster and (hopefully) someone slower than you, it doesn't really matter how far or how fast you are going, all that matters is that you are having fun and pushing yourself to do better.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'm always happy to get words of encouragement:D
    but the truth is I still feel very much like a novice runner.
    I've been very pleasantly surprised at how the training has gone so far (fingers crossed, knock on wood and all that...)
    I'm delighted I signed up for the Ultra, it has made me much more disciplined (early morning runs were never really for me) and forced me way out of my comfort zone in terms of training.
    Having said all that I'm pretty sure that you could easily train for and complete an Ultra, all it really takes is lots of time to run and strong will and lots of luck that everything goes to plan.
    If you ever do consider it for the future I would definitely encourage you to give it a go.

:)One of the things I love most about running is that it is such a personal thing, there will always be someone faster and (hopefully) someone slower than you, it doesn't really matter how far or how fast you are going, all that matters is that you are having fun and pushing yourself to do better.:)

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

thats so true...well said Martha!!:D

• Advertisement

..... The sound of Mr and Mrs Stew on a medium longish slow run
    Friday march 16th
    16.02 miles avg pace 9.30 min mile

Mr Stew and I have been like ships passing in the night recently; the boys and their sports, work, long runs and the like have meant that we haven't spent that much time together. He's had an extremely busy few weeks in work so when he offered to take Friday off work I jumped at the chance, he suggested a run and I was thrilled.
    He mapped out a fantastic run from Powerscourt house and after the boys left for school we headed down towards Wicklow.
    We decided to drive as much of the route as possible on the way, I'm quite familiar with the area from my Wicklow 200 training days but it's a lot less stressful if you get lost on a bike than on a run. Luckily we did cos we discovered a glitch in the plan; I had thought Mr Stew was perfect but it turns out he isn't... Part of his route had us running on a road that said Private No Entry when we got to it (Powerscourt Golf Club probably)so we had to rethink our plan a little.
    We left powerscourt while it was still dry and headed up past Dun Laoghaire Golf club and took some super quiet back roads. We pretty much had the roads to ourselves and the miles ticked by, even though they were hilly miles. When we got to Kilternan, I popped into the loo and we bought a drink even though I didn't really feel like I needed it, I felt stronger on the run after this so it probably did me good. From there we headed up to Johnny Foxes, Mr Stew was in super form, a busy week in work meant he hadn't run at all so he was flying up the hills. I told him to go on and that worked great as I picked up the pace to keep up with him. Downhill from there into Enniskerry and we arrived back with an extra 3miles to do because of the change in route, it was torture running by the restaurant with the smell of food:eek:, but we managed it and we headed in around the golf course. By now the rain was coming down quiet heavily but we were both still in great form, the thoughts of the yummy Avoca food keeping us going.
    Before we knew it we were back at the car getting dry clothes and then sitting in the restaurant:) What a perfect morning.

Ah, how romantic! Jcsdad wouldn't run 10 metres!! Sounded like a lovely but tough route.

St. Patrick's Day
    7.55 miles avg pace 9.54
    Nice easy recovery type hilly run in Killiney. Lots of people out on their way to get the dart to parades etc, I had great fun shouting "Happy St Patrick's Day" at them all

Mother's Day Sunday March 18th;
    MSB 5K
    3.11 miles avg pace 7.55
    Breakfast in bed, balloons and home-made cards made a super start to the day. I was sharing Mother's day with my middle son who was turning 11 so it was a really special day.
    My youngest son wanted to do the 5K but the rest of the family decided to give it a miss so we both headed in on the dart. He has run two other 5Ks and is quite a good little runner given the fact that he doesn't run apart from races, he is very active with rugby, karate and GAA. we met loots and lost fo familiar faces before hand, it was a really lovely atmosphere and great fun heading to the start, the weather was paerfect.
    I had run this race last year on my own, it's my one and only 5K PB of 22.XX but I was sticking to my son this year; he started way too fast slowed down for a little while but picked it up again at the end. He was wearing Mr Stew's Garmin and was thrilled to get a PB of 24.27. I let him run ahead on the final stretch and I struggled to catch up with him:D Racheljev, RK, DJ, Claralara, digger all had super races and were very, very sweet to my speedyboy, he was thrilled to get all the compliments, we also caught up with Meno who had come to cheer everyone on.
    An altogether perfect day which I then went and ruined by heading to the fun fair and letting master PB choose a ride to go on.... I am still green with nausea, it wasn't even one of the really bad ones. Next year we will head into the race and bypass the hurdygurdys on the way home:):)

total miles for the week 49.86 (I know, I know... I should have made it over 50...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Great to meet you and your speedy boy today. Hope the hurdy gurdy nausea is settled by some mammy's day wine :)

racheljev wrote: »
    Great to meet you and your speedy boy today. Hope the hurdy gurdy nausea is settled by some mammy's day wine :)
    I actually couldn't face more wine last night... Only a few glasses on Paddy's Day and I really felt it yesterday morning, I'm such a lightweight now;) The sooner the better I get this Ultra over and done with and get back to the important things in life; wine:D:D:D
    Ah, how romantic! Jcsdad wouldn't run 10 metres!! Sounded like a lovely but tough route.
    You never know... This time last year Mr Stew wasn't a runner, I guess he got tired of being on the sidelinessmile.gif

Mother's Day Sunday March 18th;
    MSB 5K
    3.11 miles avg pace 7.55
    Breakfast in bed, balloons and home-made cards made a super start to the day. I was sharing Mother's day with my middle son who was turning 11 so it was a really special day.
    My youngest son wanted to do the 5K but the rest of the family decided to give it a miss so we both headed in on the dart. He has run two other 5Ks and is quite a good little runner given the fact that he doesn't run apart from races, he is very active with rugby, karate and GAA. we met loots and lost fo familiar faces before hand, it was a really lovely atmosphere and great fun heading to the start, the weather was paerfect.
    I had run this race last year on my own, it's my one and only 5K PB of 22.XX but I was sticking to my son this year; he started way too fast slowed down for a little while but picked it up again at the end. He was wearing Mr Stew's Garmin and was thrilled to get a PB of 24.27. I let him run ahead on the final stretch and I struggled to catch up with him:D Racheljev, RK, DJ, Claralara, digger all had super races and were very, very sweet to my speedyboy, he was thrilled to get all the compliments, we also caught up with Meno who had come to cheer everyone on.
    An altogether perfect day which I then went and ruined by heading to the fun fair and letting master PB choose a ride to go on.... I am still green with nausea, it wasn't even one of the really bad ones. Next year we will head into the race and bypass the hurdygurdys on the way home:):)

Well done again you guys! And of course I was on my best behaviour in the presence of such a talented athlete - I have to make sure I'm on the friends-of-the-family list when young Master Stew is competing in the World Championships and may have some front-row tickets going spare! :)

Monday 19th March
    8 recovery miles, avg pace 9.55
    Met up with Karen and another friend for the start of their LSR, easy run in towards town and I turned back at 4 miles. I didn't feel great, a bit nauseous and I put this down to the hurdy gurdy at the fun fair and the huge Indian take-away I had eaten the night before.
    Foam rolling and stretching followed by 20 minute abs in the gym afterwards.
    Tuesday 20th March
    no running
    Dip in the 40 Foot, the water is definietly getting warmer and it was a fabulous morning for it.
    45 minute lower body class; a new instructor who looked, sounded and acted like a drill sergeant, my legs were like jelly afterwards.
    45 minute mat pilates class to restore the calm and zen to my life
    45 minute reformer pilates to work up a sweat again:)

Wednesday 21st March
    7.41 miles avg pace 8.45
    I woke still not a hundred per cent, tired and nauseous, I think it's the same tummy bug Mr Stew had last week that I dismissed as him just being a moany man:o I gave the 40 foot a miss but after my breakfast settled I headed out as the weather is just too nice not to run (Plus I hadn't run yesterday and I was getting a bit edgy), I felt fine after I warmed up, so I headed for the hills in Killiney.
    Arrived back to the gym to a fantastic half hour spinning class,
    Still feeling a little under the weather, my appetite is fine though so I'm sure I'll be fine tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hey Martha, enjoying that book, so thanks for the lend. Ok if I hold onto it until after Boston? I'm dipping into a chapter a day, which seems to be the right way to approach it!

Hey Martha, enjoying that book, so thanks for the lend. Ok if I hold onto it until after Boston? I'm dipping into a chapter a day, which seems to be the right way to approach it!

Hang onto the book as long as you need, it's a great read and perfect to while away the extra time during taper. You must be getting really excited about it now. I'd love to be heading to Boston again, it's possibly my favourite marathon. I'll have to get Mr Stew to train harder and qualify soon:)

• Advertisement

Thursday March 22nd
    Rest day
    45 minute lower body class, foam rolling and dip in the 40Foot
    Running for 10 minutes on a treadmill:eek::eek::eek:, Mr Stew discovered that our VHI insurance covered us for V02 testing in the Santry sports clinic so I decided to avail of it; the test confirmed that I hate treadmills and that they are even more annoying with an oxygen mask attached to you! I got the results yetserday and Mr stew is going through them with a fine tooth comb as I type, he'll let me know whether I'm fit enough to do Conn Ultra:)
    Friday March 23rd
    9.18 miles
    Fun night out with the boards ladies, we had enough sense to leave before damage was done but I'd say that was only because Conn is looming....
    Saturday March 24th
    Dip in 40 Foot to clear the head and sponsored walk around killiney hill with my son after numerous football trips
    Sunday March 25th
    3.26miles
    Out on Saturday again, but I had the sense to drive this time, I was still tired in the morning though, I managed to squeeze in a small run in Naas while my son warmed up for his away rugby match. Fabulous scenery and a heavenly day
    Total miles for the week
    27.93..... :eek::eek::eek: I'm definitely taking my taper seriously

Advertisement