Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Ireland launched. 1 month free trial

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

ixtlan wrote: »
    Just guessing... you are logged into a VPN... going through some other country?

Ix

No, no vpn open and just checked my IP, its i am in Ireland. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

cena wrote: »
    They don't stream sports right.

Right, they don't live stream anything.

Just TV shows and films.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

I can see this being the final nail in xtravisions coffin, and possibly kill hmv sales too

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I can see this being the final nail in xtravisions coffin, and possibly kill hmv sales too
    Don't know if we're quite there yet tbh..

.. there's still plenty of areas with either not capable enough broadband or capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭cena

I can people upgrading there boradband service if they are going to stream alot. More money for the companys that provide boardband.

I could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Polar101

Is it HD streams (when available) or just standard definition?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

Thanks OP. Signed in less than 2 minutes, can't test it on my laptop but works perfectly on Android phone.

Polar101 wrote: »
    Is it HD streams (when available) or just standard definition?
    HD streams are available too AFAIK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

About time we got something like this, whatever about torrents etc, I'd happily pay 7 quid a month for unlimited streaming.

I'm surprise by how shít the website looks though, and apparently Netflix are doing awful business over in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

anyone know what an average hours worth of streaming would cost, from a download limit point of view? MB/hour figure

I know my gf's dad got a bit of a shock from eircom when the bill arrived, and he'd been watching alot of the golf via HD streams that month

From the Onlive (an online streaming game service) thread over on the games forum, 20 mins looked to be about 400mb (link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

They dont seem to have much movies listed in their " Browse selection " part of their website. Most of the movies in there are old and not worth getting excited for ( atleast for me). Hopefully this is just a start and they will update the library with better movies. As for me, i think i will wait till the library gets bigger. However i am delighted to find that they have launched this service here in Ireland.

jmx009 wrote: »
    They dont seem to have much movies listed in their " Browse selection " part of their website.
    Their website only reflects a small percentage of their actual catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Basq wrote: »
    Their website only reflects a small percentage of their actual catalogue.

Really, if thats the case then i might just join for a month and see what the library is like? Do they have recent DVD releases as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Wossack wrote: »
    anyone know what an average hours worth of streaming would cost, from a download limit point of view? MB/hour figure

I know my gf's dad got a bit of a shock from eircom when the bill arrived, and he'd been watching alot of the golf via HD streams that month

From the Onlive (an online streaming game service) thread over on the games forum, 20 mins looked to be about 400mb (link
    If you're watching 1080p quality streams, then you could easily chew through 1-2 GB's in an hour.

Can anyone confirm if Netflix supports an option to choose a lower-quality, less data intensive stream?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Anyone know if they limit how many devices can be connected on the same account? And can you be logged into more than one device at a time?

I've got 4 Androids and 2xboxs that will be hopefully all rocking the one account. :D

If you're watching 1080p quality streams, then you could easily chew through 1-2 GB's in an hour.

Can anyone confirm if Netflix supports an option to choose a lower-quality, less data intensive stream?
    Lower than standard def? Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

No lazer? Sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭tinodz

You can choose to force a low quality stream on all your devices. After signing up, go to Your Account & Help on Netflix.com (Top Right). Click, then look under Manage Account for Manage video quality. The following options are available there:

Good quality (up to 0.3 GB per hour)
    Better quality (up to 0.7 GB per hour)
    Best quality (up to 1 GB per hour, or up to 2.3 GB per hour for HD)

This will then force the lower quality stream, even if your connection can handel better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

god's toy wrote: »
    Anyone know if they limit how many devices can be connected on the same account? And can you be logged into more than one device at a time?

I've got 4 Androids and 2xboxs that will be hopefully all rocking the one account. :D

Only one device connected at a time, and can be on multiple devices - but I don't know if there is a limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Curious to try this, is our any good on a Wii?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

First three seasons of Breaking Bad are there!! Impressive seeing as no Irish or UK station showed the third season and wasn't even released on DVD here! It has a great selection of older titles but very few newer titles, as what was expected! Not sure its worth €6.99 yet, but will hopefully shake Sky up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

b318isp wrote: »
    Only one device connected at a time, and can be on multiple devices - but I don't know if there is a limit.

Ah not all bad so!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Looks good on my PS3... it's pretty quick even streaming HD and there is an ok launch collection. Hopefully the selection will be upgraded in the next couple of weeks.

Anyone know if you can get this working with a WDTV Live player?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I was wondering that as well. I think you need a WDTV Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

In the screenshots from the android market, there are 4 categories in the top frame, but on the app itself, I only have 3. Queue is missing!

Anyone else only have 3?

Netflix Android

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭klingklang

JayeL wrote: »
    Curious to try this, is our any good on a Wii?
    Just fired it up on the Wii. Setup is a doddle after you get Netflix from the Wii Shop Channel. Menus work well (in the usual clunky Wii fashion), search feature is fine and picture quality is good on my old 28" CRT telly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

marcbrophy wrote: »
    In the screenshots from the android market, there are 4 categories in the top frame, but on the app itself, I only have 3. Queue is missing!

Anyone else only have 3?

Netflix Android

I don't have Queue either. Not bothered though as I don't see myself watching on my phone for a prolonged length of time

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭balfe1990

Dman001 wrote: »
    First three seasons of Breaking Bad are there!! Impressive seeing as no Irish or UK station showed the third season and wasn't even released on DVD here! It has a great selection of older titles but very few newer titles, as what was expected! Not sure its worth €6.99 yet, but will hopefully shake Sky up.

Holy crap, that's excellent. Was waiting for season Three to release on DVD but this'll do the job.

Anyone know how the absolute minimum of Broadband speeds will fare in regards to streaming quality?
    Our connection is about 2megs but seeing as I'll be using this over the WiFi, I'll be lucky to get half of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭neon123

That selection looks brutal, if Netflix doesnt improve on that selection,then that is pathetic ,half the library looks ancient and the other half is crap.I was surprised they didn't screw us with the price,6.99 is very reasonable,but with the selection they have there,I wouldn't use it, if it was free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The webpage almost put me off but once I signed up and logged in I found some good things to watch. That might be just me though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement