Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

William Street 20 illuminated cones what a waste

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

ninty9er wrote: »
    Different state agencies have different tender procedures. They don't all base it on cost alone.

Irish companies moan about all the forms and no guarantee of getting the contract, yet fail to see that this is exactly the same position as overseas companies. Plenty of opportunities all over Europe for Irish companies, but I suppose they couldn't be bothered putting in the effort. Typical attitude. Sure they're local, give it to em, who cares what it costs.

We don't live in a city where money grows on trees, even if a local company got the contract, there's no guarantee they'd employ local people.

Did you ever see the German Police drive a Renault?.
    Did you ever see the French Police drive a Volkswagen?.
    Funny, the same EU rules apply, but somehow, they always manage to buy their own, go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

The street would look much better without them, which would have saved money too!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RadioClash

God knows it needed this and the re-paving. I was hosting a Canadian visitor a good while back and he remarked that the street looked like a 1950's Canadian backwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

RadioClash wrote: »
    God knows it needed this and the re-paving. I was hosting a Canadian visitor a good while back and he remarked that the street looked like a 1950's Canadian backwater.

+1 on the repaving, which I'm sure everyone agrees was needed, but its these tacky advertising cones people have the issue with....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Saw them yesterday evening. They looked pretty nice in the dark. I don't see the problem with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gallee

roast wrote: »
    Saw them yesterday evening. They looked pretty nice in the dark. I don't see the problem with them.

I agree. Lets see how they bear up over time. Hell of a lot better that what the street was like before.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

jbkenn wrote: »
    Did you ever see the German Police drive a Renault?.
    Did you ever see the French Police drive a Volkswagen?.
    Funny, the same EU rules apply, but somehow, they always manage to buy their own, go figure.

Yea, we should start a trade war, I'm sure we'd come out on the winning side.

Have you seen the growth rate for our exports?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

I knew there was something about the cones I found funny, but couldn't remember till I drove past the river. If you look closely at the current display on the cones you'll see the All-Season Tree/Recycled Christmas Tree (valued at €10m+ to Limerick), included in the city scape on the bottom.

Was going to take a picture but my current phones camera is poor to say the least!

Edit: http://www.limerick.ie/living/whatsnew/williamstreetwelcomesnewilluminatedfeatures/name,46570,en.html
    The last picture shows what appears to me to be the Christmas tree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

what's even funnier is "William Street - Worth the journey". :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

"Vincent Murray, senior engineer, Limerick City Council said the re-modelling of Limerick City Centre has been under-way since 2001, comprising the creation of a new public square at Baker Place, streetscape improvements at Lower Bedford Row, and a major transformation of Upper Bedford Row (between Henry Street and O’Connell Street)."

11 bloody years and all that's done is the above?...these clowns are a complete disgrace.:mad:
    I lived in the city for about 15 years and only moved out about 5 years ago and might get in there a few times a year but it's unreal how bad it's gotten in there.
    Was in there again yesterday and it was unreal how quiet it was. I don't think I had to wait anything more than a second to cross streets etc and O'Connell Street was like a morgue....very sad to see :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Blazer wrote: »
    "Vincent Murray, senior engineer, Limerick City Council said the re-modelling of Limerick City Centre has been under-way since 2001, comprising the creation of a new public square at Baker Place, streetscape improvements at Lower Bedford Row, and a major transformation of Upper Bedford Row (between Henry Street and O’Connell Street)."

11 bloody years and all that's done is the above?...these clowns are a complete disgrace.:mad:
    I lived in the city for about 15 years and only moved out about 5 years ago and might get in there a few times a year but it's unreal how bad it's gotten in there.
    Was in there again yesterday and it was unreal how quiet it was. I don't think I had to wait anything more than a second to cross streets etc and O'Connell Street was like a morgue....very sad to see :(

Your outdated quote is missing a few things, for example:

Thomas St (whole street)
    Augtinian lane, Todds Bow, Foxes Bow.
    Catherine St (1 block)
    Sarsfield St
    William St (almost complete)
    Milk Market
    George's Quay
    O'Callaghan Strand
    Clancy Strand
    Henry Street (2 blocks, on 1 side)
    And they've started and are quite advanced on works on St John's Square.

Not sure if I've missed out on any but I think I have the whole list there.

That's a lot of public space works in the last 10 years. What you have to remember is they cannot pull everything up and do it all at once. The have to do it piece by piece in order to not disrupt traffic flow and not inconvenience the public.

Personally when looking at the almost complete list it's an impressive body of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭source

Blazer, I've just found the article you took that quote from, the very next paragraph says:

"Substantial upgrade works have also been carried out on Thomas Street, Little Catherine Street, Augustinian Land, Foxes Bow and Block 1 of Catherine Street. Along the riverside, major public realm improvements have also been completed at O’Callaghan Strand and Clancy Strand including the new Board walk all of which demonstrate the City Council’s commitment to revitalising Limerick City Centre," he added.

Looks like you were being a bit economical with your quote in order to back up your views, of laziness and ineptitude in Limerick City Council.

Edit: article URL: http://www.limerick.ie/living/whatsnew/williamstreetwelcomesnewilluminatedfeatures/name,46570,en.html

Can't link it properly from mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

It's to enhance the way city's streets look which is part of a larger project.In my opinion they look fantastic.

Stop being so negative.
    + 1000

Advertisement