Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

maidhc wrote: »
    Newish plate, low miles, nct, image potentially on the up, very cheap, should be reliable.

I bring you the Kia Magentis.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4198562
    View2-15719379.jpeg

Returns 40mpg, maybe under engine breaking on a downhill run. Not as bad as the claimed 57mpg on this, I'm almost tempted to call him to see him prove it, my S202 C200 Auto returned circa 30mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

flazio wrote: »
    IIRC, the 1.5 is a mazda-based engine, yeah?

How bad could that be for something you should be able to pick up for €750 or closer the asking price with an engine/gearbox warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Returns 40mpg, maybe under engine breaking on a downhill run. Not as bad as the claimed 57mpg on this, I'm almost tempted to call him to see him prove it, my S202 C200 Auto returned circa 30mpg.

Christ sake..that just takes the biscuit all together..2012 1.4 diesels are struggling to get those kind of figures!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

unkel wrote: »
    Hyundai Sonata the poor mans Toyota Camry :D

Toyota Camry the fat American mans Honda Accord :D

Honda Accord the old mans Audi A4 :D

Etc. We should start a thread :D

So the Magentis is the blind mans version of the poor mans version of the fat mans version of the old mans version of the tailgaters tarted up Skoda. Has it got a big boot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sleepy wrote: »
    IIRC, the 1.5 is a mazda-based engine, yeah?

How bad could that be for something you should be able to pick up for €750 or closer the asking price with an engine/gearbox warranty?

Not necessarily a good thing, they can go through a woeful amount of oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

alias no.9 wrote: »

I really, really hate ads like this. When I'm trying to look up 2.2 HDis or 2.1TD's I'm NOT looking for this sort of crap.

Would anyone who writes up ads like this do us all a favour and take a long walk off a short pier

Back to some bangers and nomics :)

NCT till May, 750

3.0D
    Full-15782867.jpeg

NCT till Oct, 750

Automatic to make this even more exciting
    Full-15785543.jpeg

NCT till June, 650

Full-15775368.jpeg

NCT till April, 550

I'll get my coat...
    Full?id=15783889

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

190 auto with plenty of test.
    Worth a look at that money. Interior looks sound.

(Is that a mid 00's E class & a 90's S class in the background?)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4174147

View2-15599796.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

W123-80's wrote: »
    190 auto with plenty of test.
    Worth a look at that money. Interior looks sound.

(Is that a mid 00's E class & a 90's S class in the background?)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4174147

View2-15599796.jpeg

That looks fairly decent. What do you reckon it would retun mpg wise with the autobox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

dgt wrote: »

NCT till May, 750

3.0D
    Full-15782867.jpeg

NCT till Oct, 750

that merc after 2 years will cost couple grands as classic. if id have place where to keep it, id take that. it would take any quality diesel though .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Mar4ix wrote: »

that merc after 2 years will cost couple grands as classic. if id have place where to keep it, id take that. it would take any quality diesel though .

What lurks under those chrome arches !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Mar4ix wrote: »
    it would take any quality diesel though .
    It is proven that it can run on potato juice as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Remmy wrote: »
    That looks fairly decent. What do you reckon it would retun mpg wise with the autobox?
    More less half what a 190D would, i.e. 25 - 30 mpg on average, a wee bit more on a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,204 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

dgt wrote: »

NCT till May, 750

3.0D
    Full-15782867.jpeg

Taxi, 500k miles, no service history :p

And there's only ever been one reason anybody stuck those horrid bits of chrome on the arches of a W124 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

DAZP93 wrote: »
    Christ sake..that just takes the biscuit all together..2012 1.4 diesels are struggling to get those kind of figures!

There's a Discovery here doing a claimed 64.5mpg too. Some crazies out there. Worst thing is some people will believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Clean 2L Petrol 850 Estate with NCT 7/13 for €650
    View2-15801830.jpeg

Very nice 2L Accord Coupe w/Leather,CC,CC NCT 4/13
    View2-14655413.jpeg

2L Saab 93 NCT 4/13 Strange spec level here, leather and no aircon!? Unusual colour too. €600

View2-15191069.jpeg

And another nice car screwed by the tax system..

Volvo 850 2.5L N/A with NCT 9/13 for €1000

View2-15635310.jpeg

Bawnmore wrote: »
    There's a Discovery here doing a claimed 64.5mpg too. Some crazies out there. Worst thing is some people will believe it.

The mpg thread on here has some looney claims too :)

Saab Ed wrote: »
    What lurks under those chrome arches !

And there's only ever been one reason anybody stuck those horrid bits of chrome on the arches of a W124 ;)

Not a huge issue on a cheap car though, to be fair :)
    The arches may well be quite solid if a tad blistered etc etc etc.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Taxi, 500k miles, no service history :p

We used to call them knackers eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I like the look of this. NCT is a bit short but it looks fairly clean.

View2-15813793.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4218329

2003 Mazda 323 with 6 months NCT and a months tax in Dublin asking €1950...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3922239

View2-14347876.jpeg

2000 Mazda 323 with 8/9 months NCT asking €900 in Dublin, this ones a 1.5..

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4214286

View2-15794482.jpeg

2000 Lancer with 6 months test (passed in Nov), asking price a tad high at €1200 but potential I suppose, it's in Monaghan so seller shouldn't be over ran with interest...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4159154

View2-15527508.jpeg

2002 Mazda 6 in Laois with a years test, 70k miles asking €1400 .........

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4210252

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

No NCT so strictly speaking does not tick all the bangernomics boxes but if the car is relatively straight its going for an absolute song for what it is. Looks to be in good order in the snaps.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4216558

I'd need to be getting it up on a lift and checking out the underbody before I'd committ to buying it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

No NCT so strictly speaking does not tick all the bangernomics boxes but if the car is relatively straight its going for an absolute song for what it is. Looks to be in good order in the snaps.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4216558

I'd need to be getting it up on a lift and checking out the underbody before I'd committ to buying it though...

How would it fair in getting parts for her? I love them 80's jap sports cars.

I'd just have a quick peak and if it seemed ok buy the thing and if it turned out to be a sh1tter put it down to it being worth the risk, seriously :cool: car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

padma wrote: »
    How would it fair in getting parts for her? I love them 80's jap sports cars.

Your a man after my own heart padma.... I do have a soft spot for 80's and early 90's Jap mobiles also. I'd be by no means an expert but I'd imagine most good motor factors would be able to source maintenance parts for you.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    I'd just have a quick peak and if it seemed ok buy the thing and if it turned out to be a sh1tter put it down to it being worth the risk, seriously cool.png car.

I hear you RoverJames:)

Im just probably being a pedantic git really;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,204 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The 323s and the Lancer are horrid, but you redeemed yourself with this one :)
    RoverJames wrote: »
    2002 Mazda 6 in Laois with a years test, 70k miles asking €1400 .........

• Advertisement

The 323s and the Lancer are horrid..........

I know exactly what you mean, the 6 makes so much more sense from a value and nice to drive/have viewpoint in comparison to the 323s and the Lancer.

However, a car is a car and low purchase price, coupled with low tax and the potential for a few years troublefree, low cost motoring would appeal to so many at the moment who don't have too many €s to spare at the end of the week/month etc and who can't do without a car :)

Realistically the financial situations of so many at the moment might make a €900 323 just about feasible whereas the few hundred extra to buy the 6 coupled with the extra motor tax makes it impossible.

A friend does some work with SvDP on the ground and the stuff on the news about food poverty amongst working people (with kids) etc doesn't appear to be at all rare from his experience :(
    I'll make my usual comment that the USC (or whatever the feck it's called now) is an absolute disgrace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement