Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Meriva would be a great little bangernomics car and some of the later models with a decent colour/rear tint arent half bad.

Agree, it would be a decent bangernomic in a few years but it's just that type of car where there is not one thing I like about it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Also has to be worth a punt @€;500 if it's straight, NCT until May and a few new bits along with the fact that it's diesel.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3792668

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

166man wrote: »
    Also has to be worth a punt @€;500 if it's straight, NCT until May and a few new bits along with the fact that it's diesel.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3792668

there has to be a catch there surely? lots of new parts, new NCT, take for granted that the 146 kms are actually miles and it still seems too good to be true.

it simply must have a big diesel bill in the pipeline, DMF, EGR etc? otherwise thats a bit of a steal.

NOT bangernomics, but a representation of good value for money i think.
    i must admit, its a weedy petrol in a big car and it looks like a poverty spec example but for jaysus sake people are paying not much less for 01 passat diesels etc.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3794385

dont shoot me, i could be way off on this one :pac:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3791484

old-ish 3 series diesel with 170k miles, looks tidy with 8 months test. asking €875. not sure if they are a good or a bad car, but if it stands a chance of being reliable it could be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

Saab Ed wrote: »
    View2-13732247.jpeg

Tax 1005 a year :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

MidlandsM wrote: »
    LOL.........meriva............lol.......****box marea..........look at all the dents......

Can't see many dents? Shaped like that from that factory?
    Diesel Marea is handy bangernomics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

andyseadog wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3791484

old-ish 3 series diesel with 170k miles, looks tidy with 8 months test. asking €875. not sure if they are a good or a bad car, but if it stands a chance of being reliable it could be nice.
    Sweeeet!

A 17 litre BMW! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

166man wrote: »
    I hate the Meriva... Just a tin can for the OAP's who need a high driving position...

Edit: Wow I sound so ignorant sorry about that, I just dislike the car...:D

My parents have one. It's not as bad as that, but it's a very impersonal car. Seats are rock hard and it feels gutless, even compared to the 1.2 Corsa I drive. I feel uncomfortable being up so high.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Someone here might be interested in this - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3797797
    Low milage, NCT and cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Fuh Q wrote: »
    Someone here might be interested in this - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3797797
    Low milage, NCT and cheap.
    Nice find.

There is obvious reason for the price being so low and the car is nearly sale proof at a higher price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Top Dog wrote: »
    A 17 litre BMW! :pac:

And the next would call it 17cc:)

Quite low mileage at 1,700!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel

there has to be a catch there surely? lots of new parts, new NCT

NCT could be from last year!

Also old skool diesels might not have expensive injection systems, DMF, DPF etc. to worry about but they are slow, noisy, unrefined and not very frugal (compared to more modern ones)
    Seweryn wrote: »
    There is obvious reason for the price being so low

There are 3 reasons

1. Motor tax
    2. Motor tax
    3. Did I mention the €1.683 motor tax?

I can only see someone who has no intention to tax the car be interested in it tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 g7sxb

unkel wrote: »
    NCT could be from last year!

Also old skool diesels might not have expensive injection systems, DMF, DPF etc. to worry about but they are slow, noisy, unrefined and not very frugal (compared to more modern ones)

There are 3 reasons

1. Motor tax
    2. Motor tax

I can only see someone who has no intention to tax the car be interested in it tbh...

The reason for not buying that car is precisely why my Alfa GTA sits on the drive in the UK whilst I graft over here, the crazy road tax charges. 3.2 V6 in the UK £248 for the year, here Ireland HOW MUCH!!! Not to mention that very dodgy VRT for importing it.

Ok Bangernomics guru's this is my first post and perhaps you guys can come up with some good suggestions. I'm looking for a banger that is capable of surviving a 160 mile round trip commute 5 days a week and runs on fresh air in terms of fuel. Economy (60+ mpg if possible, diesel probably and with an average purchase price of less than 1k) is way more important than performance though I'm trying to avoid cars that would make folk think I'm a hairdresser. What should I be looking for I'm sure you've all got plenty of wit and wisdom to provide a short list of possible candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

g7sxb wrote: »
    Ok Bangernomics guru's this is my first post and perhaps you guys can come up with some good suggestions. I'm looking for a banger that is capable of surviving a 160 mile round trip commute 5 days a week and runs on fresh air in terms of fuel. Economy (60+ mpg if possible, diesel probably and with an average purchase price of less than 1k) is way more important than performance though I'm trying to avoid cars that would make folk think I'm a hairdresser. What should I be looking for I'm sure you've all got plenty of wit and wisdom to provide a short list of possible candidates.

that volvo above, or a seat toledo tdi, or peugeot 106 1.5 diesel and lots of spare time to reach your destination

The reason for not buying that car is precisely why my Alfa GTA sits on the drive in the UK whilst I graft over here, the crazy road tax charges. 3.2 V6 in the UK £248 for the year, here Ireland HOW MUCH!!! Not to mention that very dodgy VRT for importing it.

I am sad your GTA is off the road but I'm happy you've joined boards.ie

Welcome to boards :)

not many cars out there for a grand that will do 40k miles a year without a few quid needing investment, this is asking 1900 euro but they are relatively troublefree ...
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3245582
    An older 406 diesel or a C5 would do the job too, time isn't on my side for trawling donedeal though, welcome along too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 g7sxb

Oh my GTA isn't off the road. I get to go back to the UK once a month (time off for good behaviour) and then I get to drive a real car rather than the shed on wheels that is the Fiat Marea I currently drive over here. I was looking at the diesel Marea that was put up on here the other day. I swear those cars are made out of tissue paper, you only have to look at them and the metal work buckles, especially round the wheel arches.

Thanks for the welcome guys and thanks also for the suggestions with regards to fuel frugal cars I shall follow them up and start hunting for my next banger

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭hometruths

unkel wrote: »

There are 3 reasons

1. Motor tax
    2. Motor tax

Sold. It did not last long at that price. Cracking buy, I was interested, and I would have taxed it!

not bangernomics, just a banger, but its proving very difficult fighting the urge to pick up the phone. if it isn't rusted to death it'd be such a quirky car to run around in after a bit of a tidy up.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3796686

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

not bangernomics, just a banger, but its proving very difficult fighting the urge to pick up the phone. if it isn't rusted to death it'd be such a quirky car to run around in after a bit of a tidy up.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3796686

That is bangernomics. Totally and utterly. And give it a few years, it'll be even cheaper in tax.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

An almost 30 year old car that looks like it hasn't seen a bit of maintenance in 31 years and only 68 k on it, it's imagine that'd be like getting a piggy back off an auld one around town that has arthritis and hasn't gotten off a couch in 15 years.

An almost 30 year old car that looks like it hasn't seen a bit of maintenance in 31 years and only 68 k on it, it's imagine that'd be like getting a piggy back off an auld one around town that has arthritis and hasn't gotten off a couch in 15 years.

i never said it'd be fast or fun to drive :pac: i think im just a jap scrap fanboi though. i'd love it, polish it up, respray the wheels, good clean on the interior, put a square plate back on the front... a real classic in my eyes anyway but surely not to all tastes. learned to drove in my mams 1990 k10 so maybe thats why it holds a place.

maybe im naieve but i do think that the mileage could be genuine.
    fanboi :)

The mileage on that I wouldn't care about, as there's no way of ever proving it.

The paint, you haven't a hope, been there done that bought the tshirt. It's a respray or nothing.

I can see the cool factor, but no quick lick would make that anyway presentable.

im just a jap scrap fanboi though

Maybe we should start a jap scrap thread for you, VolvoBoy and a few other like minded spirits :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Have been offered a 1 owner from new, 00-reg Seicento with headgasket gone, by a neighbour - realistic value, in this condition ? (btw, didn't realise the bloody tax was so big on it- €300+ :().

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Have been offered a 1 owner from new, 00-reg Seicento with headgasket gone, by a neighbour - realistic value, in this condition ? (btw, didn't realise the bloody tax was so big on it- €300+ :().

Realistic what? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

My first car was 00regd spotless 2 owners Seicento, and it was 700E in 2008. So realistic value for the one you have been offered is 0. Because it is broken already...

Only scrap value really. Best thing that could happen to that car is if a mechanic picked it up (for scrap value), did it up in his own time, passed the NCT and sold it for 800 or thereabouts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

I wouldn't bother. Th most you could make would be a few hundred if you rrepaired the gasket an even at that, it would need a fresh nct to punt it on @ €800. It's a risk I personally wouldn't bother with.
    You could however, get the gasket repaired and get lucky (no damage) and it might sail through the ensiti :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement