Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

That looks like a fresh enough UK imported so I'd be very wary of rust on it!

As i said elsewhere, saw a '00' W210 when I had a 97 W210, checked the chassis no. and it was about 1000 after mine so got lowdown from Merc dealer. It was originally an Irish model but wasn't sold and exported to UK in 99 and sold there in 00, reexported to Ireland and as log book said 'First registered 2000' in UK, so revenue gave it a 2000 reg here ( wonder did they pay / get refund on VRT etc ) :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Well, the car was exported unregistered I assume? Therefore VRT wouldn't have been paid so it would be due on import.

Vrt is only paid once.

Also, it doesn't matter what year a car it's built, it's what year it's registered. I've seen three year old cars been registered as new ;)

There are simple ways to check this if you're buying a new car that's an about to run out model.

Also, in those W124's you either got an airbag or a glovebox! That 99 has the airbag.

Re looking at that 99, there leather around the top of the wheel has been cut off, and the gearknob is worn to hell! 125k miles my rear end!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sunny2012

CianRyan wrote: »
    Relevent.

A bit out dated and I don't agree with EVERY thing he says but it's still a nifty little video.

My first car was in the UK while at Uni - an F registered Volvo 340, 1.4 in the same blue colour as in the video. A great yoke for lugging all my gear over and back and economical. No power steering though!!! My next was a a 89-D
    red polo as in the video. Blew the gasket and that was that... Great wee car though.......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Not a perfect one in terms of bangeromics, but rare enough car. May need new tires judging from the pictures (seller claims brand new tires, so worth to ask) No mention of Nct tough...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3709807

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cgal093

wonski wrote: »
    Not a perfect one in terms of bangeromics, but rare enough car. May need new tires judging from the pictures (seller claims brand new tires, so worth to ask) No mention of Nct tough...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3709807

probably means brand new to him, severely worn tires :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

88/91 Carinas , great runners but a bit pricey though his motives (not for export ) are admirable.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3712837

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Capri wrote: »
    88/91 Carinas , great runners but a bit pricey though his motives (not for export ) are admirable.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3712837

Yes 2 nice cars. The Carina back in '88 would have been an executive car!
    Indeed I recall drooling over a new one in '89 , bright red in colour. Yes brings back happy memories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

I was bred to opt for reliability - those carinas were the biz. Uncle had one of them for donkeys. Correct me if im wrong but were those mark 3?

• Advertisement

I was bred to opt for reliability - those carinas were the biz. Uncle had one of those for donkeys. Correct me if im wrong but were those mark 3?

Minister,

You are quite correct. They almost dwarfed the mark 2 in terms of size. They were faultless in terms of reliablilty:)

Still a silver 88 one doing taxi service in Dublin :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,252 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Minister,

You are quite correct. They almost dwarfed the mark 2 in terms of size. They were faultless in terms of reliablilty:)
    They were badged 'Carina II' And were succeeded by the Carina E
    They were a mighty car. Still a good few around. My Dad had one for years. I drove it lots. Loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Carina II's :o

I have an 88 one (I've mentioned here a few times), 230,000 odd miles, absolutely faultless car, pretty comfortable too, lovely blue velour/suede interior with blue door cards and dash etc, real nice retro feel inside.

They will go forever, I have had to do nothing with mine except for oil & filter changes etc, incredible reliability that just does not come with modern cars.

Mine is a 1.6twin cam carburettor like the one linked below, nice and responsive engine, and actually pretty economical!

Going for nct again in a few weeks, should be ok, plenty of life in the aul doll yet.

The ones linked are pretty expensive though,

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3650723

You wouldn't really want to pay asking price, but you can guarantee if minded properly and rust was safeguarded you could use one as a daily for the next 20 odd years.

I feckin love these cars

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭kulareggae

Want to know ur opinions on polos im happy with her shes a1.4 i do love corsas tho should i keep my polo or swap for sumthing more economical x

Carina II's :o

I have an 88 one (I've mentioned here a few times), 230,000 odd miles, absolutely faultless car, pretty comfortable too, lovely blue velour/suede interior with blue door cards and dash etc, real nice retro feel inside.

They will go forever, I have had to do nothing with mine except for oil & filter changes etc, incredible reliability that just does not come with modern cars.

Mine is a 1.6twin cam carburettor like the one linked below, nice and responsive engine, and actually pretty economical!

Going for nct again in a few weeks, should be ok, plenty of life in the aul doll yet.

The ones linked are pretty expensive though,

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3650723

You wouldn't really want to pay asking price, but you can guarantee if minded properly and rust was safeguarded you could use one as a daily for the next 20 odd years.

I feckin love these cars

Cannot understand why they were called carina 11 , there were two previous mosels as fa as I am aware, first was in mid/late 70's, second was in early 80's,third was in early late 80's ,4th in mid/ late 90's and so on .
    Perhaps some Carina fans could fill in more details?
    Nevertheless all these cars were fantastic in terms of reliability:):):)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

kulareggae wrote: »
    Want to know ur opinions on polos im happy with her shes a1.4 i do love corsas tho should i keep my polo or swap for sumthing more economical x

Probably best to start a new thread, not too sure what you're asking either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Cannot understand why they were called carina 11 , there were two previous mosels as fa as I am aware, first was in mid/late 70's, second was in early 80's,third was in early late 80's ,4th in mid/ late 90's and so on .
    Perhaps some Carina fans could fill in more details?
    Nevertheless all these cars were fantastic in terms of reliability:):):)

I think there was 4? before the model (88 onwards Carina II) we're on about,

There was the first one, early 70's which was not unlike a ke20 corolla in body shape (obviously a bit bigger), lovely sporty looking thing. I think the model code is a10??

The second gen, iirc looked kinda like a mk3 Cortina, twin round headlights and a good square nose.

The 3rd gen Im not so sure about tbh, i think they looked a lot like Nissan laurels of the same era but I'm not certain.

Then there was the early II's, which I think were sold from around 83 or 84 around the same time as the front wheel drive DX corolla's came about,

Then after that came the legendary carina II, who, Whether in petrol or diesel form were a rock of reliability and simplicity and IMO are the textbook example of how to build a simple, easily maintained, rock hard, reliable car.

To answer your question about the branding, I cant be sure, seeing as they were sold as Corona's in Japan etc It must have been a European angle, Id say that it was because most older toyotas of the 70's rusted to pieces before they even left Irish showrooms, It was probably a marketing exercise..

As a whole Im sure a lot of people would say they're ugly as sin, they probably are but they're just top class :D

I just realised that I'm actually toyota mad :D

Edit* seeing as its the bangernomics thread :P

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3704484

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

MidlandsM wrote: »

Possibly a full set of hubcaps that match, maybe there is a ring missing on the steering wheel by the logo. Anyway if he takes it off sale at 9pm tonight then he will still have the car. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Possibly a full set of hubcaps that match, maybe there is a ring missing on the steering wheel by the logo. Anyway if he takes it off sale at 9pm tonight then he will still have the car. :confused:

Also notice the hubcaps? Could at least put two matching in front, and another two in the back. And a 9'o clock deadline?

2 grand today until 9 o clock ???

Is it some form of blackmail, or what???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

wonski wrote: »

And a 9'o clock deadline?

2 grand today until 9 o clock ???

Is it some form of blackmail, or what???

Insurance disc expired in Feb so he's possibly been trying to sell it since then.

Weird ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

It also means that this day next week it will be 1750....until 9 o clock:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Chavways wrote: »
    Meh

Meh away lad ......but a carolla is like a washing machine to people who don't give a fcuk - A 2 B motoring is all they want with no frills and no hassles.....so its a perfect banger to many, hese why its one of the worlds most popular cars ever in sales terms.
    Also, for dealers, its a bread and butter car, thats why I like em, as they tick boxes, serve purposes and they sell. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I fcukin hated those Carinas.

Anyway, Here's one that I''m sure was up for sale only last week ....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/3716122

View2?id=13360187

That's pretty cool infairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,230 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Citigolf :cool:

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Citigolf :cool:

Thought the CitiGolfs were newer and had a slightly different front?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement