Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

166man wrote: »

No mention of an NCT! :eek:

Mine was NCTd when I got it :D

Alas, that has almost perfect bodywork :)

And a clean engine ;)

I've been doing some thinking about this one...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ongarite wrote: »
    Citroen C5, NCT 8/12. Available for €700 cash I'd say.

Full?id=9268351

99 A4 1.8T, NCT 6/12 for €900.

Full?id=9351647
    Links to ads, not pics, please. :D

Pic links cannot be back-linked to ads by some users, including YT.

Not your ornery onager

Was behind a real poshy lady in one yesterday at a roundabout, as i pulled up beside her at a roundabout she looked at me if to say "Hmmpph, state of you".
    FYP. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Esel wrote: »
    Links to ads, not pics, please. :D

Pic links cannot be back-linked to ads by some users, including YT.

Yours truely?

I like it haha

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2889808

Full?id=9442227

More than likely an SDI, but that's not a bad thing. Will go for ever!

You'd be surprised what you can fit in the back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

RoverJames wrote: »
    It's not actually, the 2.3 was quite possibly the worst engine in the range (in terms of longetivity and reliability), T series engines didn't suffer from Head Gasket trouble, there is no such thing as a "Rover direct-injected 'T' Series diesels okay", it's an L series.

So it's not accurate at all really :)

What made you think it was by the way?

I find Honest John Back Room VERY accurate. Much like here, the truth comes out in the stats of ordinary Joes chatting. I understand you might just be referring to the car reviews, but there's a mine of truth on HJ, IMO.

• Advertisement

An Ri rua wrote: »
    I find Honest John Back Room VERY accurate. Much like here, the truth comes out in the stats of ordinary Joes chatting. I understand you might just be referring to the car reviews, but there's a mine of truth on HJ, IMO.
    +1

While denying any knowledge of HJ's BR :D, I am inclined ;) to give credence* to RJ's opinion of the Rover 600 / Honda Accord (Prelude).

* BMR, FS, PM. OK, Creedence, but YKWIM...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Honest John is very good. Never heard about him till I was looking for cars and for the ordinary punters, he is very good same as parkers.

I think you boys are seeing it from a different viewpoint. You know cars. You know engines. Ordinary buyers dont and thats who HJ caters to, he doesnt write for you....... theres no big sentences like the "EGR value is going in and sticking, on the out cycle".
    He writes simple and that's what I appreciate.

Now I'll still take what he says with a pinch of salt, because who knows what company is paying him backhanders this week to write glowingly about new car on market......... but on average he seems to be very fair with all the reviews on different cars and models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

A bit steep at 1700? But what a car! NCT til next year, but a feckin' ton to tax. Probably a bargining chip?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2890328

View2?id=9444520

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I always worry when I read sentences like...

" 18" staggered pirelli alloys with loads of thread on tyres"

dahamsta wrote: »
    I always worry when I read sentences like...

" 18" staggered pirelli alloys with loads of thread on tyres"
    I actually take it with a grain of salt. Most people aren't so good with wurds on the internets.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

"27 MPG around town..." bahaha!

Still I nice ould motor though!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Merc E240, €1000, tax 03/2012, nct 06/2012, pity there's no internal photos, I'm assumming no leather.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2890345

Full?id=9444574

Merc E240, €1000, tax 03/2012, nct 06/2012, pity there's no internal photos, I'm assumming no leather.

Full?id=9444574
    It says leather in the ad. :)

An Ri rua wrote: »

I'm referring to the linked article that I was asked was accurate :)
    NO doubt some folk in the back room know their beans though.

M

barura wrote: »
    It says leather in the ad. :)

Sorry I'm blind as a bat this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,871 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I had a 530i V8 E34 auto. Lovely car / engine / gearbox. Not many V8s that aren't in the max tax category either :D

http://photos.donedeal.ie/photos/Full?id=9444574

Could be wrong but I could of sworn E240's were 2.6 petrols, not that it makes that much of a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Yeah honestjohn in the Uk where they mind their cars, but not here.

Honest john being one source, there are also otherrs that give the piccaso good reviews, the internet in general is a good starting point.
    HonestJohn :eek:

As above, a starting point on reviews
    It's not actually, the 2.3 was quite possibly the worst engine in the range (in terms of longetivity and reliability), T series engines didn't suffer from Head Gasket trouble, there is no such thing as a "Rover direct-injected 'T' Series diesels okay", it's an L series.

So it's not accurate at all really :)

What made you think it was by the way?

Both hj & parkers gave the same 2 stars, but the hj gave a way better and detailed review of that example

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

barura wrote: »
    A bit steep at 1700? But what a car! NCT til next year, but a feckin' ton to tax. Probably a bargining chip?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2890328

View2?id=9444520

Hmm whats going on with the numberplate in the photos ha! Full (german style :rolleyes:) reg in the main photo, blanked out in another, and e34 530 touring in another!

Probably just wanted to keep the plate hidden? I dunno. Ring him and find out! :D

• Advertisement

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Honest john being one source, there are also otherrs that give the piccaso good reviews, the internet in general is a good starting point.

If that car was still for sale I'd nearly buy it or at least go and view it to prove you wrong!

M

She's now marked as sold, looks like it wasn't all too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,871 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Could be wrong but I could of sworn E240's were 2.6 petrols, not that it makes that much of a difference.

W210 E240s are 2.4 W211 E240s are 2.6 :)

Edit: difference in tax now €242 between these two :eek:

unkel wrote: »
    W210 E240s are 2.4 W211 E240s are 2.6 :)

No, as I was driving a 01 last week and I'm 100% sure it was 2.6, and I priced a trade in on one when I was in sales and it was 2.6 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

No, as I was driving a 01 last week and I'm 100% sure it was 2.6, and I priced a trade in on one when I was in sales and it was 2.6 as well.

Always thought they were a 2.6 aswell.

If that car was still for sale I'd nearly buy it or at least go and view it to prove you wrong!

That was a heap,an nct'd heap for 500? Thought that was the point of bangernomics, Picasso' all $hitboxes, lol
    MEH!:pac:

JJJJNR wrote: »
    That was a heap,an nct'd heap for 500? Thought that was the point of bangernomics, all $hitboxes, lol
    MEH!:pac:

Buying a **** box isn't bangernomics, buying hassle free (ish) cheap motoring is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Seemingly honest ad is endearing, even if it is a crap box. Bangernomics all the way though ;)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2890997

View2?id=9447806

Target price of 350 quid

Was talking about above, ;) on my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I Was VB wrote: »
    Always thought they were a 2.6 aswell.

Mate has a 02 (newer model) e240, and it's 2.6

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement