Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden County Trophy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Hacker111

Did I mention anything about there being a connection between Blessington and the Garden trophy, I had asked on a few occasions if Blessington was a members club, because I had an interest in whether their membership drive was of primary benefit to the club members or was it a secondary benefit because the fees were going to a propriotor.

I found the answer to that query in one of the replies here.

Now because I am generally to idle to go look but you might point out were my beef is with viable clubs selling cheap memberships.

If you take the time to read the posts I do have a serious problem with clubs that are in NAMA selling cheap memberships and green fees and pulling the whole market down.

I have no problem with a club and in particular with a members club which is owned and run by the members for the benefit of those members and whatever fee structure they need to put in place to try and make ends meet.

When this fiasco of a race to the bottom is over it will be these members clubs or propriotory clubs who have run proper businesses that will be left to pick up the peices caused by clubs who are not in a position for one reason or another to pay the debts that they have accrued.

so much for getting back on topic...this is my view! It is an open market (thank god), clubs will fail and clubs will prosper. Courses owned by NAMA and/or operated by receivers are perfectly within their rights to try and turn a buck. They need to turn the club around to pay the bills and look after the existing members. They need to be brought to a position where they are self sufficient and may one day be sold on (possibly to the members)..... the banks will take a bath due to their existing debt levels and we all move on. If their prices aare low thats great it sharpens everyones pencil and makes golf more affordable for the masses.

Yes sorry Hacker, I was off topic, my apologies

too late! I came back

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

OK I had written that before you came back but I won't reply to your observation in this thread. OK. Back to the Garden Trophy

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

OK I had written that before you came back but I won't reply to your observation in this thread. OK. Back to the Garden Trophy

:D I too will abstain from replying but may reply in a more relevant thread as i have a contrasting view. Do u have anything to add on the garden trophy Unglika? Which comment was it that made u think BL is not a members course as I am actually confused on this one?

It was actually when your captain said that if the course was not fit to play the owner would have closed it, which indicated to me that it was not a members decision as to whether it was open or closed for play simple as that.

• Advertisement

It was actually when your captain said that if the course was not fit to play the owner would have closed it, which indicated to me that it was not a members decision as to whether it was open or closed for play simple as that.

:D he's not my captain as I am not a member in BL, i haven't even played the course before!! I can safely say that i have never heard of a course where the members decide if its open or not as u can be guaranteed that it would be open 365 days a year if the grumpy old men got a say in the decision. In my experience its down to the greenkeeper who informs the general manager who while employed by the members operates separately from the members committee in an objective manner. I'm sure El Capitano referred to the owner having final sign off once the greens keeper lets him know of the state of the place. To say its not a members course based on this is a bit OTT in my opinion.

By the way what club are u a member of Unglika? Are u playing in the garden trophy this year?

sorry misread, No I'm not playing in the Garden trophy and none of the clubs of which I am a member are partaking. Ok, you might consider OTT but it is accurate none the less

sorry misread, No I'm not playing in the Garden trophy and none of the clubs of which I am a member are partaking. Ok, you might consider OTT but it is accurate none the less

I don't believe that the owner having a say on whether the course is open or not determines whether it is a members course or not. There is a such thing as a private members course where a membership committee will be established and liaise with the owner on big ticket items. What is your worry with courses with this structure? I find it strange that u have hijacked this thread on the garden trophy when none of the courses where u are a member play in this and your first post was to have a go at BL for their club structure. Possibly u could find another thread where u can have a meaningful say on the subject matter.

Yes sorry Hacker, I was off topic, my apologies

Two quotes ending the topic which you chose to keep going I made a statement on an observation and didn't have a go at anyone, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Redzah wrote: »
    Ah come on Mr. Captain, that last comment was just a bit of banter. Surely a sense of humour and an ability to partake in some banter is part of the El Capitano job description.

With the level of banter and witty repartee on this forum I'm sure the performers on the stage of The Laughter Lounge must feel threatened. It also seems, according to our spiritual guardian, that banter is a prerequisite to posting on the forum. There must have been a change to the charter I didn't notice.
    This debate came about when Whinging (see banter) Sheet, who we have established is not a member of either club, yet again tried to create tension between the two clubs on the week of a match. It is not the first time he has used the forum for such a purpose, nor is it the first time he has had a pop at our club, although I can only assume now it is banter.
    Our club, and in particular our captain (even though he is the one most acquainted with the facts), has been called petty and unsporting based on the ramblings of an anonymous keyboard warrior. This is closer to slander than banter.
    I have known our club captain since he first joined the club at twelve years of age. He is an excellent representative of our club and always upholds the traditions and values of the game. He is a person of integrity and sincerity. We are very proud of the role he plays in promoting our club. As one of the youngest club captains in GUI history he reflects the changing nature of Irish golf. I have no doubt he will play a major role in Irish golf in years to come.

• Advertisement

With the level of banter and witty repartee on this forum I'm sure the performers on the stage of The Laughter Lounge must feel threatened. It also seems, according to our spiritual guardian, that banter is a prerequisite to posting on the forum. There must have been a change to the charter I didn't notice.
    This debate came about when Whinging (see banter) Sheet, who we have established is not a member of either club, yet again tried to create tension between the two clubs on the week of a match. It is not the first time he has used the forum for such a purpose, nor is it the first time he has had a pop at our club, although I can only assume now it is banter.
    Our club, and in particular our captain (even though he is the one most acquainted with the facts), has been called petty and unsporting based on the ramblings of an anonymous keyboard warrior. This is closer to slander than banter.
    I have known our club captain since he first joined the club at twelve years of age. He is an excellent representative of our club and always upholds the traditions and values of the game. He is a person of integrity and sincerity. We are very proud of the role he plays in promoting our club. As one of the youngest club captains in GUI history he reflects the changing nature of Irish golf. I have no doubt he will play a major role in Irish golf in years to come.

:D Jaysus you guys really aren't helping to promote you're place with the way you are approaching this. Banter is not a prerequisite but one must be able to separate comments that the majority would determine to be banter from comments which are stated in a serious manner. An example would be the end of my comment which wished BL best of luck in the 'grudge' match. This is clearly banter based on what had been said in this thread beforehand yet El Capitano (banter ;)) took this comment 100% seriously and felt compelled to respond like a robot when it was not really necessary and my guess is that 99% of the thread readers would have seen my comment as banter and not serious.

My understanding is that Mr. Sheet was there on that fateful day as a member of South County and surely that is all that matters. We are talking about an event at a point in time and at the point in time Mr. Sheet was not only a member of one of the clubs involved but he was also there on that day when this disgraceful act of bad sportsmanship occurred (;) banter). I have no doubt that El Capitano is a great representative of your club but based on what has been spoken of and looking at this objectively, he may not have covered the club in glory on this day.

If he is one the youngest GUI captains ever then great and fair play to him, and this may explain a potential judgemnet error made on the day in question due to inexperience. I'm not sure how the BL captain can play a major role in irish golf in years to come but if he does then fair play to him again. All these points u are making about him are irrelevant as we are talking about one incident in the Garden Trophy which is the topic of this thread. Based on this incident, it has been established that he was the captain of the BL team that was sent out to play in the 'lakes' literally and so he may have made an incorrect decision based on what a few posters have said. If he did then sh*t happens and you live and you learn but to defend it so strongly is only making the matter worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

Jesus Redzah put away that big spoon and quit stirrin will ya! :D

South County and Blessington Lakes seem to have moved on and are playing a match this weekend - let's let them get on with it shall we and hopefully the next few posts on this thread will be reserverd for results from the weekend matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭L.O.F.T

Hacker111 wrote: »
    Garden County ....a mildy competitive pre Barton competition that provides no formguide for the main event

well done hacker, stating the obvious but spot on.

airguitar wrote: »
    (Just so we can get this thread back on track here is some useful information unlike the previous few posts, I will update the results as I get them)

Group 1

14.01 Woodenbridge 4(1) Driuds Heath 2(1)

22.01 Kilcoole 4.5(2) Woodenbridge 1.5

27.01 Arklow 4(2) Druids Heath(1) 2

04.02 Kilcoole 4(1) Arklow 2

12.02 Woodenbridge 3.5 (1) Wicklow 2.5 (0.5)

Group 2

11.02 Tulfarris(0) 3 South County(0) 3

11.02 Blessington Lakes 5(2) Killerig 1

Fixtures
    18th Feb Blessington Lakes v South County
    18th Feb Tulfarris v Killerig

Group 1
    Wooden Bridge 9 (3)
    Kilcoole 8.5 (3)
    Arklow 6 (2)
    Druids Heath 4 (2)
    Wicklow 2.5 (0.5)

Group 2
    B Lakes 5 (2)
    Tulfarris 3 (0)
    South County 3 (0)
    Killerig 1 (0)
    Coollatin 0 (0)

Based on airguitars post, Wooden bridge and kilcoole look strong in Group 1 with B Lakes looking good in group 2.

Any1 care to offer an opinion on the standard of golf played in the matches so far?

Based on airguitars post, Wooden bridge and kilcoole look strong in Group 1 with B Lakes looking good in group 2.

Any1 care to offer an opinion on the standard of golf played in the matches so far?

Hard to tell really - looking at group 1 - Woodenbridge have played 3 so naturally have accumulated a lot of points but took a bit of a pasting from Kilcoole. Wicklow have only played 1 and have Kilcoole up next, but on paper, you'd expect Kilcoole to come out on top there (Woodenbridge edged Wicklow by 1pt, Kilcoole beat Woodenbridge 4.5/1.5) - but then personnel and matchups change from match to match, so...

Hard to tell really :)

I heard someone hit the ball 300 yards into a breeze in one of the games Redzah - must have been yourself was it? </banter>

Hard to tell really - looking at group 1 - Woodenbridge have played 3 so naturally have accumulated a lot of points but took a bit of a pasting from Kilcoole. Wicklow have only played 1 and have Kilcoole up next, but on paper, you'd expect Kilcoole to come out on top there (Woodenbridge edged Wicklow by 1pt, Kilcoole beat Woodenbridge 4.5/1.5) - but then personnel and matchups change from match to match, so...

Hard to tell really :)

I heard someone hit the ball 300 yards into a breeze in one of the games Redzah - must have been yourself was it? </banter>

Sorry didn't realise woodenbridge have played 3. Kilcoole look like favourites so.

:D It certainly wasn't me, i'm only a 270 merchant so i'm way below the boards average ;). Although I did have an arguement about where i could drop the ball behind the 2nd green in DH in my match against Arklow, in the end I just let it go as it is a mildly competitive pre season tournament as Hacker has rightly pointed out.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think Kilcoole have won this twice over last 3 years, at least their group anyway?

So my money is on them again especially after beating the always strong Arklow. Plus Kilcoole is a tricky course for away teams to master (even second time around:D).

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think Kilcoole have won this twice over last 3 years, at least their group anyway?

So my money is on them again especially after beating the always strong Arklow. Plus Kilcoole is a tricky course for away teams to master (even second time around:D).

Maybe thier reluctance to play all 6 matches in DH last saturday can be explained by their record over the last few years i.e. they take it more seriously than the other competitors and don't treat it as a pre season warm up.

Maybe thier reluctance to play all 6 matches in DH last saturday can be explained by their record over the last few years i.e. they take it more seriously than the other competitors and don't treat it as a pre season warm up.

I'm not in to club bashing at all, but I think they do take it very seriously...I was involved against them last year and as I said earlier we "agreed" to play all 6 away in Kilcoole!

I'm not in to club bashing at all, but I think they do take it very seriously...I was involved against them last year and as I said earlier we "agreed" to play all 6 away in Kilcoole!

Fair enough, fair play to them for their record over the last few years by the way. Although, it should not be taken very seriously as it is a warm up event, its always nice to win.

• Advertisement

Any results from todays' Garden County matchups?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Any results from todays' Garden County matchups?
    Blessington Lakes 4 1/2
    South County 1 1/2

I believe Kilcoole beat Wicklow 4-2..... won 2 away......

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭airguitar

Group 1

18.02 Kilcoole 4(2) Wicklow 2(1) (based on post above)

Group 2
    11.02 Tulfarris 3(0) South County 3(0)
    11.02 Blessington Lakes 5(2) Killerig 1(0)
    18.02 Blessington Lakes 4.5(1.5) South County 1.5(0)
    18.02 Tulfarris 4(1) Killerig 2(0)

Fixtures
    24th Feb Blessington Lakes v Tulfarris
    24th Feb Coollattin v South County

Group 1
    Kilcoole pld 3 - pts 12.5 - away wins 5
    Wooden Bridge pld 2 - pts 9 - away wins 3
    Arklow pld 2 - pts 6 - away wins 2
    Druids Heath pld 2 - pts 4 - away wins 2
    Wicklow pld 3 - pts 4.5 - away wins 1.5

Group 2
    B Lakes pld 2 - pts 9.5 - away wins 4.5
    Tulfarris pld 2 - pts 7 - away wins 1
    South County pld 2 - pts 4.5 - away wins 0
    Killerig pld 2 - pts 3 - away wins 0
    Coollatin pld 0 - pts 0 - aways wins 0

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rednail

I'm not in to club bashing at all, but I think they do take it very seriously...I was involved against them last year and as I said earlier we "agreed" to play all 6 away in Kilcoole![/QUOT I've read most of the posts on this. I played many matches in the garden county and have to say all the lads from kilcoole and blessington lakes were really relaxed and good lads to play with. don't think they take it that serious, they just are strong teams imho.

rednail wrote: »
    I'm not in to club bashing at all, but I think they do take it very seriously...I was involved against them last year and as I said earlier we "agreed" to play all 6 away in Kilcoole![/QUOT I've read most of the posts on this. I played many matches in the garden county and have to say all the lads from kilcoole and blessington lakes were really relaxed and good lads to play with. don't think they take it that serious, they just are strong teams imho.

No doubt they are strong teams, i don't think that this is what we are questioning. Kilcoole refused to play all 6 matches away against DH as their course was unplayable which seems contrary to the spirit of the competition and BL played on a lake last year to avoid playing all away matches which again seems contrary to the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rednail

No doubt they are strong teams, i don't think that this is what we are questioning. Kilcoole refused to play all 6 matches away against DH as their course was unplayable which seems contrary to the spirit of the competition and BL played on a lake last year to avoid playing all away matches which again seems contrary to the competition.

fair point but I think that the timesheet was delayed in druids heath and due to the competition etc they couldn't accomadate all 6 games in druids heath, thats what i've heard anyway

fair point but I think that the timesheet was delayed in druids heath and due to the competition etc they couldn't accomadate all 6 games in druids heath, thats what i've heard anyway

Accommodating all 6 matches was not a problem as the DH guys who were due to play in kilcoole went back to DH and played instead. Anyways prob time I left this go.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

Result from today:

South County 3 (1)
    Coolattin 3 (1)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭airguitar

Group 1

18.02 Kilcoole 4(2) Wicklow 2(1)
    25.02 Wicklow 5(2) Druids Heath 1(0)
    25.02 Woodenbridge 3(1) Arklow 3(1)

Group 2
    11.02 Tulfarris 3(0) South County 3(0)
    11.02 Blessington Lakes 5(2) Killerig 1(0)
    18.02 Blessington Lakes 4.5(1.5) South County 1.5(0)
    18.02 Tulfarris 4(1) Killerig 2(0)
    25.02 Tulfarris 5(2) Blessington Lakes 1(0)
    25.02 South County 3(1) Coollattin 3(1)

Group 1
    Kilcoole pld 3 - pts 12.5 - away wins 5
    Woodenbridge pld 3 - pts 12 - away wins 4
    Wicklow pld 3 - pts 9.5 - away wins 3.5
    Arklow pld 3 - pts 9 - away wins 3
    Druids Heath pld 3 - pts 5 - away wins 2

Group 2
    Tulfarris pld 3 - pts 12 - away wins 3
    B Lakes pld 3 - pts 10.5 - away wins 3.5
    South County pld 3 - pts 7.5 - away wins 1
    Killerig pld 2 - pts 3 - away wins 0