Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden County Trophy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭sodbuster77

airguitar wrote: »
    As far as I know, the competition rules are that when one course is on, all six games go there. It happens most years for one or two fixtures.

Yes, it's rough on the other club, but it reduces match call-offs, and after all, the whole idea is just to get out for some BC practice.

I could be wrong, but on the face of it it seems like bad form by Kilcoole.

In a similar situation two seasons ago, Blessington Lakes called their course "on", despite the greens being flooded. This was to stop all six matches going to the opponent's course, which was South County.

It's a shame, as it's a great competition, but this kind of nonsense makes a farce of it.

Your post is pure nonsense Sheet, I played against South County in that match 2 years ago and the match was played both home and away. I think the guys we played against were called Conor and Ronan, out match finished all square.
    He didn't say all six matches went to SC, he said they should have. I played that match too in SC and can't speak for the condition of BL but I was one of the wettest days I ever played golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

He didn't say all six matches went to SC, he said they should have. I played that match too in SC and can't speak for the condition of BL but I was one of the wettest days I ever played golf.

Well I played in Blessington Lakes that day and the suggestion that he is making is complete horse manure.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭airguitar

Fair enough but what does mr sheet mean when he says "This was to stop all six matches going to the opponent's course" .

Is this nonsensical statement based on fact?? Blessington Lakes are a very sporting club which have and will continue to have a very good relationship with South County so I cannot understand why Mr Sheet would come out with a farsical statement like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

Well I played in Blessington Lakes that day and the suggestion that he is making is complete horse manure.

It may actually be last season, not two seasons ago, but anyone who played knows the day I'm talking about (see sodbuster). If the day you played wasn't flooded, then it wasn't that day.
    one of the wettest days I ever played golf.

what does mr sheet mean when he says "This was to stop all six matches going to the opponent's course" .

It's very simple. Blessington was flooded, and South County was playable, so all six go to South County. But instead, BL said "what are you talking about, our course is fine". This means, however ridiculous it may be, three matches have to be played there on water-logged greens, all because they didn't want to give up home advantage in a mickey-mouse warm up event.

There were a few wedges hit from on the green, over puddles so big there was nowhere to take relief. That's honestly the kind of thing we're talking about.
    Blessington Lakes are a very sporting club which have and will continue to have a very good relationship with South County so I cannot understand why Mr Sheet would come out with a farsical statement like that.

Also false. Do you really think you can pull a stunt like that and maintain a good relationship with your neighbour course? No, the SC players, captain, team managers et al did not come away that day feeling that there was a good and sporting relationship between the two clubs. It was a petty move, and for what?

(Just so we can get this thread back on track here is some useful information unlike the previous few posts, I will update the results as I get them)

Group 1

14.01 Woodenbridge 4(1) Driuds Heath 2(1)

22.01 Kilcoole 4.5(2) Woodenbridge 1.5

27.01 Arklow 4(2) Druids Heath(1) 2

04.02 Kilcoole 4(1) Arklow 2

12.02 Woodenbridge 3.5 (1) Wicklow 2.5 (0.5)

Group 2

11.02 Tulfarris(0) 3 South County(0) 3

11.02 Blessington Lakes 5(2) Killerig 1

Fixtures
    18th Feb Blessington Lakes v South County
    18th Feb Tulfarris v Killerig

Group 1
    Wooden Bridge 9 (3)
    Kilcoole 8.5 (3)
    Arklow 6 (2)
    Druids Heath 4 (2)
    Wicklow 2.5 (0.5)

Group 2
    B Lakes 5 (2)
    Tulfarris 3 (0)
    South County 3 (0)
    Killerig 1 (0)
    Coollatin 0 (0)

• Advertisement

It may actually be last season, not two seasons ago, but anyone who played knows the day I'm talking about (see sodbuster). If the day you played wasn't flooded, then it wasn't that day.

It's very simple. Blessington was flooded, and South County was playable, so all six go to South County. But instead, BL said "what are you talking about, our course is fine". This means, however ridiculous it may be, three matches have to be played there on water-logged greens, all because they didn't want to give up home advantage in a mickey-mouse warm up event.

There were a few wedges hit from on the green, over puddles so big there was nowhere to take relief. That's honestly the kind of thing we're talking about.

Also false. Do you really think you can pull a stunt like that and maintain a good relationship with your neighbour course? No, the SC players, captain, team managers et al did not come away that day feeling that there was a good and sporting relationship between the two clubs. It was a petty move, and for what?

The obvious question to ask here before responding any further to this nonsense is are you currently a member of either club?

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

The obvious question to ask here before responding any further to this nonsense is are you currently a member of either club?

I think u need to ease of the defense a bit. It sounds to me like blessington took the match a bit too seriously on the day which is not entirely in the spirit of a pre season warm up competition and a bit petty. I don't see why the poster would lie about this. It seems that kilcoole did something similiar at DH last weekend as Kilcoole was unplayable but the guy in charge of the team at kilcoole refused to play all 6 in DH. Again this is not in the spirit of a pre season warm up but 1 or 2 individuals from kilcoole obviously did not get that. This probably does not represent that attitude of the kilcoole team but possibly just the team captain and this may be the same for blessington a few years ago.

Redzah wrote: »
    It sounds
    It seems

With your use of these adjective can I presume you agree it is all hearsay?

Downthemiddle is right to defend his club when someone is trying to tarnish it's reputation on a public forum and it is unfortunate that you believe him.

The fact is I have since received an email from a member of South County who cannot understand why Sheet has made these comments so I am happy enough to leave it at that.

I stand by my comments that we have and will continue to have a very good relationship with South County and we are looking forward to a very sporting match next Saturday. I am sure the actual members of South County will agree with me so there are no need for the comments above.

Niall O'Connor
    Captain
    Blessington Lakes GC
    This probably does not represent that attitude of the kilcoole team but possibly just the team captain and this may be the same for blessington a few years ago.

I was also team manager of the Garden County Trophy the last two seasons so your suggestion that I have the wrong attitude when it comes to the spirit of the sport and fairplay you could not be more wrong.

I think u need to ease of the defense a bit. It sounds to me like blessington took the match a bit too seriously on the day which is not entirely in the spirit of a pre season warm up competition and a bit petty. I don't see why the poster would lie about this. It seems that kilcoole did something similiar at DH last weekend as Kilcoole was unplayable but the guy in charge of the team at kilcoole refused to play all 6 in DH. Again this is not in the spirit of a pre season warm up but 1 or 2 individuals from kilcoole obviously did not get that. This probably does not represent that attitude of the kilcoole team but possibly just the team captain and this may be the same for blessington a few years ago.

Of course I'm going to defend my club's reputation when it is the victim of unfounded allegations. It has resulted in posters, such as yourself , jumping to conclusions that are without basis and making assertions about our team captain that you cannot substaniate. This is not the first time that this particular poster has attempted to create ill feeling between the clubs on the week of a GC match. Both Airguitar and myself would be very aware of the relationship between the two clubs and their respective committees and I would reiterate what Airguitar said about the positive relationship between the clubs.
    Once again I ask Shrieking Sheet are you currently a member of either club?

Edit:
    Actually, you guys are dead right.
    I made it all up.

• Advertisement

Edit:
    Actually, you guys are dead right.
    I made it all up.
    Perhaps you would be mannerly enough to answer the simple question. Are you currently a member of either club?

With your use of these adjective can I presume you agree it is all hearsay?

Downthemiddle is right to defend his club when someone is trying to tarnish it's reputation on a public forum and it is unfortunate that you believe him.

The fact is I have since received an email from a member of South County who cannot understand why Sheet has made these comments so I am happy enough to leave it at that.

I stand by my comments that we have and will continue to have a very good relationship with South County and we are looking forward to a very sporting match next Saturday. I am sure the actual members of South County will agree with me so there are no need for the comments above.

Niall O'Connor
    Captain
    Blessington Lakes GC

I was also team manager of the Garden County Trophy the last two seasons so your suggestion that I have the wrong attitude when it comes to the spirit of the sport and fairplay you could not be more wrong.

Well not being a member of either and not being there on the day in question, all i can go on is what has been described above so if that is hear say then fair enough.

Sheet do u have any proof of this occurrance?

Furthermore I don't think that this tarnishes the reputation of the club. Its more that if this occurred it is petty from the person who made the decision which is what happened by the Kilcoole representative on Saturday. I assume that as the Garden County captain of Blessington that u would have no problem playing all 6 matches away were this to happen given your sharp defense of what Mr. Sheet has to say??

If Mr Sheet is a member of south county and was there on the day then your response of captain of Blessington holds no more value than what he has to say so i don't understand why it is necessary to input this. If sheet is telling porkies then it would be interesting to know why? What beef u have with blessington Mr Sheet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

He didn't make it up. I'm not a member any more but I played for SCGC on the day in question (it was in 2011 just to clear that up) and there's no way in hell that the golf course should have been open. Most greens were water logged, most of the holes were filled to the brim with water, the bunkers were unplayable and the course was pure mush.

Now I'm not saying anything other than what I've already said but I believe that the golf course would have been closed had there not been a match to be played on it as we were only causing damage to it. Of course the Blessington Lakes guys would want to have some home advantage, but in this instance the logical thing to do would have been to play all matches in a much less water logged and much more playable SCGC.

SuprSi wrote: »
    He didn't make it up. I'm not a member any more but I played for SCGC on the day in question (it was in 2011 just to clear that up) and there's no way in hell that the golf course should have been open. Most greens were water logged, most of the holes were filled to the brim with water, the bunkers were unplayable and the course was pure mush.

Now I'm not saying anything other than what I've already said but I believe that the golf course would have been closed had there not been a match to be played on it as we were only causing damage to it. Of course the Blessington Lakes guys would want to have some home advantage, but in this instance the logical thing to do would have been to play all matches in a much less water logged and much more playable SCGC.

Very interesting. Can i ask was the course open for members before/after the garden county match?

It seems (cooberated hear say ;)) like a very unsporting call from El Capitano as Mr Sheets statements have been cooberated (assuming this is not the same poster). I've no doubt relations between these two clubs are good but in this particular instance this is a petty decision.

I'd be interested to hear your take on this Mr. Captain seeing as it was probably your call or do u maintain that this did not happen at all. Surely their is some truth in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Even ignoring whether this decision was unsporting or not, or whether there were other members playing, common sense should have prevailed. While I was on the golf course that day, the conditions ensured I couldn't play golf to any kind of standard, and that I couldn't enjoy competing with other 'rival' golfers, which is what I took part in the Garden Trophy for. Plus I almost ruined my brand new pair of Ecco golf shoes that I got for Christmas! :(

I believe (and of course this is just my opinion) had an independent referee or party visited the course to determine whether it was playable or not, they would have sent everyone to SCGC.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Even ignoring whether this decision was unsporting or not, or whether there were other members playing, common sense should have prevailed. While I was on the golf course that day, the conditions ensured I couldn't play golf to any kind of standard, and that I couldn't enjoy competing with other 'rival' golfers, which is what I took part in the Garden Trophy for. Plus I almost ruined my brand new pair of Ecco golf shoes that I got for Christmas! :(

I believe (and of course this is just my opinion) had an independent referee or party visited the course to determine whether it was playable or not, they would have sent everyone to SCGC.

Jasus, its not the type of pre season tournament that i've been led to believe it was as a newcomer to the leinster/wicklow golf scene. I'd really like to hear Mr. Captains response to this apart from the 'its all lies' response. Surely I don't have 2/3 boards members blatantly lieing for the fun of it here?? After all their is no smoke without fire!!

Jasus, its not the type of pre season tournament that i've been led to believe it was as a newcomer to the leinster/wicklow golf scene. I'd really like to hear Mr. Captains response to this apart from the 'its all lies' response. Surely I don't have 2/3 boards members blatantly lieing for the fun of it here?? After all their is no smoke without fire!!

This has been blown out of proportion enough as it is.
    Let's leave it at that.

Very interesting. Can i ask was the course open for members before/after the garden county match?

It seems (cooberated hear say ;)) like a very unsporting call from El Capitano as Mr Sheets statements have been cooberated (assuming this is not the same poster). I've no doubt relations between these two clubs are good but in this particular instance this is a petty decision.

I'd be interested to hear your take on this Mr. Captain seeing as it was probably your call or do u maintain that this did not happen at all. Surely their is some truth in this?

The lads are entitles to their opinion which is fair enough but I for once agree with Sheet above it has been blown out of proportion!

There was no "call". As far as I know the match was never in question on going ahead or not. The South County manager did not call the match into question before it started. I actually know their manager (Greg) from the last two years quite well so I don't think there are any problems their.

At the end of the day it is the course owner's call to open or close the course and I can assure you had the course been unplayable the match would not have been played as he is very very protective of his course, we actually had to postpone our first match this year even after been offered all 6 matches at our course because the opponents course was closed

This issue has only arisen a year later when it could have been dealt with in last year's thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055752864&page=6

That's all I have to say on the matter and I won't be lured any further into this bottomless argument.

Looking forward to meeting our friends from South County on Saturday and should either course be unplayable there would be no problem playing all 6 matches home or away.

Perhaps you would be mannerly enough to answer the simple question. Are you currently a member of either club?

I don't understand what this has to do with it :confused:. If he was a member of one of these clubs last year when this disgraceful act of unsporting behaviour occurred then surely that is enough. Why the question on his current membership status?? Its clear u take exception to what he said but neither u nor ur blessington colleague have offered any alternative to what happened or how Mr. Sheet may have come up with this?

Anyways it seems like Mr. Sheet wishes to forget about the day he played golf in the blessington lakes (literally):D and move on.

Anybody care to suggest a solid Garden County winning match score. I reckon +6/7 should do the job on most matches. The day i played against arklow we played poorly and were prob about 11 over and only lost on 18.

The lads are entitles to their opinion which is fair enough but I for once agree with Sheet above it has been blown out of proportion!

There was no "call". As far as I know the match was never in question on going ahead or not. The South County manager did not call the match into question before it started. I actually know their manager (Greg) from the last two years quite well so I don't think there are any problems their.

At the end of the day it is the course owner's call to open or close the course and I can assure you had the course been unplayable the match would not have been played as he is very very protective of his course, we actually had to postpone our first match this year even after been offered all 6 matches at our course because the opponents course was closed

This issue has only arisen a year later when it could have been dealt with in last year's thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055752864&page=6

That's all I have to say on the matter and I won't be lured any further into this bottomless argument.

Looking forward to meeting our friends from South County on Saturday and should either course be unplayable there would be no problem playing all 6 matches home or away.

Fair enough, prob best left as the views contrast and its clear no general consensus will be reached. Annoys me about Kilcoole not playing all 6 in DH this weekend though as Kilcoole was closed so the DH members who were due to play in Kilcoole went back to DH and played in the 4 ball comp. I'd be interested to hear from Kilcoole members on this just in case the 'hear say' that i was told from a fellow DH team member is biased?

Good luck in the grudge match this saturday guys :D.

• Advertisement

Good luck in the grudge match this saturday guys :D.

Thanks but there will be no "grudge" about it, it is a valuable practice match or friendly match to help both teams prepare and devlop their Barton Cup squads

Thanks but there will be no "grudge" about it, it is a valuable practice match or friendly match to help both teams prepare and devlop their Barton Cup squads

Ah come on Mr. Captain, that last comment was just a bit of banter. Surely a sense of humour and an ability to partake in some banter is part of the El Capitano job description.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Ah come on Mr. Captain, that last comment was just a bit of banter. Surely a sense of humour and an ability to partake in some banter is part of the El Capitano job description.
    Not likely. You'd notice pretty close to exactly zero banter or discussion unless it directly pertains to BL which is somewhat contrary to the "spirit" of this forum. Maybe it's just me and my cynicism...

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Unglika Norse

And I finally see an answer to the question as to whether or not it was a members club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

And I finally see an answer to the question as to whether or not it was a members club.

Which club are you referring to???

thegen wrote: »
    Which club are you referring to???

Blessington,

To be honest, i can't see the link between how a one off incident relating to bad sportsmanship or possibly just a bad call on the day in the garden county trophy can be linked to whether or not it was a members club :confused:. In fact their participation in this event and other GUI events would lead me to believe it is a members club. I have seen a few of your posts before and don't quite understand what your beef is with clubs that offer cheap membership for those who wish for a GUI handicap. It reduces the barriers of entry to the game of golf (i.e. money) and thus will get more guys playing competitive golf. This should be viewed as a positive during recessionary times surely and will get more people playing competitive golf than if this option was not there which may in turn produce better players etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Hacker111

Lets get back on topic quickly!!!

Garden County ....a mildy competitive pre Barton competition that provides no formguide for the main event....scores to follow.......

To be honest, i can't see the link between how a one off incident relating to bad sportsmanship or possibly just a bad call on the day in the garden county trophy can be linked to whether or not it was a members club :confused:. In fact their participation in this event and other GUI events would lead me to believe it is a members club. I have seen a few of your posts before and don't quite understand what your beef is with clubs that offer cheap membership for those who wish for a GUI handicap. It reduces the barriers of entry to the game of golf (i.e. money) and thus will get more guys playing competitive golf. This should be viewed as a positive during recessionary times surely and will get more people playing competitive golf than if this option was not there which may in turn produce better players etc.

Did I mention anything about there being a connection between Blessington and the Garden trophy, I had asked on a few occasions if Blessington was a members club, because I had an interest in whether their membership drive was of primary benefit to the club members or was it a secondary benefit because the fees were going to a propriotor.

I found the answer to that query in one of the replies here.

Now because I am generally to idle to go look but you might point out were my beef is with viable clubs selling cheap memberships.

If you take the time to read the posts I do have a serious problem with clubs that are in NAMA selling cheap memberships and green fees and pulling the whole market down.

I have no problem with a club and in particular with a members club which is owned and run by the members for the benefit of those members and whatever fee structure they need to put in place to try and make ends meet.

When this fiasco of a race to the bottom is over it will be these members clubs or propriotory clubs who have run proper businesses that will be left to pick up the peices caused by clubs who are not in a position for one reason or another to pay the debts that they have accrued.

• Advertisement

Yes sorry Hacker, I was off topic, my apologies

Advertisement