Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SOPA- now with added ACTA

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I made a short vid linking to that one.

Felt I had to do something. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

If this goes through, I think everyone should email copyrighted content to the US government and then request their servers be taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

eLive Pro throwing their weight against SOPA/PIPA
    eLive Pro wrote:
    A decision has to be taken and in this war, there is no hiding. As a Silicon Valley company and as a defender of the Liberty, we will stop supporting games, tournament, events and everything related to pro-SOPA editors.

I understand it’s a very big bummer, and trust me, I ain’t happy about this, but we can’t let these people take our freedom away.
    eLive, and all the US eLive staffs, have signed the anti-censorship petitions and I will attend the different anti-SOPA/PIPA meeting in California.

Once again, there is no hiding and everything different from a clear “we are against SOPA/PIPA” is a pro-SOPA/PIPA action. I will personally mail and ask Capcom, SNK-P and Namco about their positions and from their answers, eLive will continue or hibernate its actions in Fighting Games.

Of course, no matter what, we won’t block people talking about these games on eLive.pro but eLive will definitely stop promoting games by sending players to events.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/jan/08/team-elive-pro-twitchtv-stand-against-sopa/

Twitch.tv moving against GoDaddy just as destructioid did...

Also SOPA seems to have gone caustic in several places in America. It's looking good that it and PIPA might get shot down.

C'mon America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

....for Freedom!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

damn after watching that video my eyes have been opened :eek:
    (thanks for posting it plumpynuter)

i thought of this as why would game companies not want free advertising for there games but holy crud it goes ALOT deeper than that

so if this goes through it will be like living in china with bush as president :mad:

Um... Bush hasn't been the president of the USA for about 4 years now...

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Um... Bush hasn't been the president of the USA for about 4 years now...

yes kiki i know this ;)
    but seeing as his administration was a censoring cover up piece of garbage i think my statement still valid

• Advertisement

yea i dont care for that puppet either,promises change...changes promises

In case people aren't following, some interesting developments in this.

Reddit are having a 12 hour black out to protest SOPA. This has lead to widespread media coverage in America, which is actually making reddit more and more popular. Apparently Wikipedia is in discussion among its board about how to join them.

MLG is one of the latest to drop goDaddy as their hosting firm (one of the original major advocates of SOPA). GoDaddy have now rescinded their support of the bill.

I've seen a couple of news articles saying the bills have gone caustic (meaning being attached to them would be dangerous for a congressman) but I don't know if that's wishful thinking or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭powerofscience

I've seen a couple of news articles saying the bills have gone caustic (meaning being attached to them would be dangerous for a congressman) but I don't know if that's wishful thinking or not.

This is pretty true, it used to have quite a lot of support until recently. But now congressmen are dropping support left and right. Probably in part due to the large amount of emails, phone calls, letters, and stuff they received from people angry about their support of SOPA. I was one of the people who sent my congressman a letter, well an email actually. I know that many people set up to have in person meetings with congressmen as well to explain how dangerous SOPA is, and what it could mean for the internet and freedom of speech in general.

I know that the bill failed to pass Congress, but it's not completely dead. Although from what I've heard, and seen, it appears to be hemorrhaging support rapidly and it'll only be a matter of time before it is dropped. Though that could be wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Now Americans need to make sure PIPA isn't sneaked through in its wake.

but seeing as his administration was a censoring cover up piece of garbage i think my statement still valid

Not entirely true, it's not quite so simple.
    yea i dont care for that puppet either,promises change...changes promises

This is for sure true.

"All the troops out of Iraq in 6 months" *sends in a **** load more troops*

This isn't the first time PIPA's showed up. They've been trying to pass it for years and it gets shot down every time. I'm not too worried about it.

This isn't the first time PIPA's showed up. They've been trying to pass it for years and it gets shot down every time. I'm not too worried about it.

It only needs the one time to pass.

I'm worried people will see PIPA as the slightly friendlier version of SOPA.

It only needs the one time to pass.

I'm worried ponies will see PIPA as the slightly friendlier version of SOPA.

While that is one of the many possibilities of the Continuum Shift. I think it is more likely that politicians will be afraid to support anything that resembles SOPA, due to how unpopular it is. This bill has popped up under different names in different states many times over the years and has never passed. As long as SOPA remains caustic, then I think no one will want to support anything like it.

Even if SOPA does die I doubt this is the last we'll hear of it or PIPA. Some politician will always want to use this as a scapegoat to make it look like they're doing something while ignoring the real problems we have, like our declining education, or our rising unemployment, or, oh yeah our outrageously high national debt.

Oh America... *sigh*

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I want to cry every time I see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I want to cry every time I see this.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/world-debt-clock.html

Compare the stars and stripes to the tricolour on this...:(

http://www.usdebtclock.org/world-debt-clock.html

Compare the stars and stripes to the tricolour on this...:(

Wow, suddenly I don't feel so bad. But, remember your country is the size of the state I lived in, and we've got 50 of 'em, and that's not counting our territories. Still, Ireland has the highest percentage of external debt by a large margin, I had no idea. I suppose it makes sense though, a lot of things are imported here right?

I'm moving to China, screw this crap. Oh wait, I am moving to China :D. But still as an American :(. Damn you Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

It's more to do with Brian Lenihan guaranteeing "our" insolvent private banks debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wtfbenson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

brewster.jpg

And I say, "hurrah", but it is with trepidation.

Justice prevails...for now

And I say, "hurrah", but it is with trepidation.
    Justice prevails...for now

I agree with the reserved tone. We'll see what happens next.

I agree with the reserved tone. We'll see what happens next.

Murdoch gone rantin...

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/174357/rupert-murdoch-takes-to-new-media-to-slam-new-media-defends-sopa/

As Brian says - issue dead for now.

ayjayirl wrote: »
    This website is temporarily unavailable. Please check back later.

Looks like they were done under SOPA

• Advertisement

Wow, Wikipedia IS going black with Reddit. That's some news there.

Advertisement