Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MW3(ps3) NAT Help

Options
  • 05-01-2012 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

If anyone can help me change my NAT from Type 3 i would be very grateful, this is my first thread and probably not the most interesting but i would really appreciate the help as i have read dozens of articles about changing my NAT from Type 3 to Type 1 or 2 but it never works. :( I would just like to say i have no idea about networking :confused: and im worried in case any attempt to change it will knock off my broadband. Im using a Motorola Netopia router, model number 2247-62, Software Version 7.8.2r2 and i was formally with Eircom but now im with Vodafone however im using the same router. If you need any other details ask me. Please Please PLEASE help me im so sick of it, i can't even join matchmaking in mw3 at all. All help is appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

If anyone can help me change my NAT from Type 3 i would be very grateful, this is my first thread and probably not the most interesting but i would really appreciate the help as i have read dozens of articles about changing my NAT from Type 3 to Type 1 or 2 but it never works. :( I would just like to say i have no idea about networking :confused: and im worried in case any attempt to change it will knock off my broadband. Im using a Motorola Netopia router, model number 2247-62, Software Version 7.8.2r2 and i was formally with Eircom but now im with Vodafone however im using the same router. If you need any other details ask me. Please Please PLEASE help me im so sick of it, i can't even join matchmaking in mw3 at all. All help is appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Did you try port forwarding or putting PS3 in a DMZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭solidMGSsnake

frankled wrote: »
    Did you try port forwarding or putting PS3 in a DMZ?

Yes thats what im asking for help with, sorry if i wasn't clear enough and i have no idea what a DMZ is:confused:

Yes thats what im asking for help with, sorry if i wasn't clear enough and i have no idea what a DMZ is:confused:

No you're grand. I'm in no way an expert and there are many more clued-in people on here. I've been having trouble beyond the port-forwarding/DMZ step, but it's ok now.

Port-forwarding is opening your router's necessary ports in order to play a specific game. A DMZ is the quick way to do this (my understanding), but allegedly comes with a risk of hacking, though I'm led to believe that this isn't much to worry about with a PS3. That's the option I reverted to anyway.

Are you using windows? Do you know how to get to your router's settings page?

Are you using windows? Do you know how to get to your router's settings page?

Yes i have attempted to port forward by myself to no avail so i haven't a clue what to do but i know how to get onto the settings page.

Yes i have attempted to port forward by myself to no avail so i haven't a clue what to do but i know how to get onto the settings page.

Cool, what about putting your PS3 into a DMZ? Ideally the problem should be fixed with port forwarding but I gave up on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Im using a Motorola Netopia router, model number 2247-62, Software Version 7.8.2r2 and i was formally with Eircom but now im with Vodafone however im using the same router.

EDIT: OOps you gave a model number

Well heres the link for port forwarding on that router on COD.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/2247-62/PS3_Call_of_Duty_4_Modern_Warfare.htm

Let me know if you have any problems

Ed

Cool, what about putting your PS3 into a DMZ? Ideally the problem should be fixed with port forwarding but I gave up on this.

I guess i could use a DMZ but i still have no idea what it is, your going to have to walk me through it

eddhorse wrote: »
    EDIT: OOps you gave a model number

Well heres the link for port forwarding on that router on COD.

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/2247-62/PS3_Call_of_Duty_4_Modern_Warfare.htm

Let me know if you have any problems

Ed

That says for COD 4 not MW3, does it use the same ports? Also i haven't a clue how to set up a static ip address and i saw one tutorial that said if the ip address on the computer is different from the routers (something along those lines) than it can misconfig the connection knocking off the broadband, so if i am to do that than i will need a very simple step by step guide from you. I said in my introduction that i've read loads of guides to no avail, i just can't understand them. I don't mind providing my ip address or anything as long as i can get this working with out my connection being at risk :)

Have a look at your router by using this link :

http://portforward.com/networking/routers_ip_address.htm

That says for COD 4 not MW3, does it use the same ports? Also i haven't a clue how to set up a static ip address and i saw one tutorial that said if the ip address on the computer is different from the routers (something along those lines) than it can misconfig the connection knocking off the broadband, so if i am to do that than i will need a very simple step by step guide from you. I said in my introduction that i've read loads of guides to no avail, i just can't understand them. I don't mind providing my ip address or anything as long as i can get this working with out my connection being at risk :)

Also, if port-forwarding won't work and you want to try DMZ it's probably simpler. Your basically setting your PS3's IP address to be static within your network. So you could set it to be 192.168.2.99 for example, on your PS3. Just set up your network settings on the console again, and when asked do you want to set it up manually or automatically choose manual. Even test the connection so that you know what the other settings are. All you need to change is your IP address to static. Sorry if this is not specific as I'm not looking at my PS3 now so can't remember exactly how it's done. Gimme a shout if you choose to do this and then if you need help.

Also, you would have to go to your router's settings and find an option for DMZ. Here, you would specify that you want the router to put IP address 192.168.2.99 in the DMZ. DMZ means 'demilitarized zone', your putting your PS3 outside the router's firewall in order to free up access to it. Port forwarding should be enough to do this but it seems to not always be that simple. I have my PS3 in a DMZ and it's working ok.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement

Have a look at your router by using this link :

http://portforward.com/networking/routers_ip_address.htm

well i understood what the page was talking about but i don't see its function in port forwarding

Also, if port-forwarding won't work and you want to try DMZ it's probably simpler. Your basically setting your PS3's IP address to be static within your network. So you could set it to be 192.168.2.99 for example, on your PS3. Just set up your network settings on the console again, and when asked do you want to set it up manually or automatically choose manual. Even test the connection so that you know what the other settings are. All you need to change is your IP address to static. Sorry if this is not specific as I'm not looking at my PS3 now so can't remember exactly how it's done. Gimme a shout if you choose to do this and then if you need help.

Also, you would have to go to your router's settings and find an option for DMZ. Here, you would specify that you want the router to put IP address 192.168.2.99 in the DMZ. DMZ means 'demilitarized zone', your putting your PS3 outside the router's firewall in order to free up access to it. Port forwarding should be enough to do this but it seems to not always be that simple. I have my PS3 in a DMZ and it's working ok.

Hope that helps.

i have no problem using DMZ but i can't find it on the routers settings page and i googled around to see if my router had the function but i couldn't find my exact motorola netopia router model however on a similar model i guy claimed it doesn't support DMZ only static NAT

heres the link to the page http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100425185322AAtDbYr

O_o apparently so, although i have no idea how to do it and i think this is the thing i was referring to a few posts back about if there not the same it can knock off your broadband

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Davy r

if you look on youtube it might help. i did last year i had the same problem had to change my nat type with cod black ops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Davy r

if you look on youtube it might help. i did last year i had the same problem had to change my nat type with cod black ops. you can change your nat type on the ps3 itself you have to go into network settings.

Davy r wrote: »
    if you look on youtube it might help. i did last year i had the same problem had to change my nat type with cod black ops. you can change your nat type on the ps3 itself you have to go into network settings.

No i mentioned in my introduction that i have already attempted tutorials to no avail, thanks for the suggestion anyway. :) Oh btw you double posted:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I changed the Nat on my ps3 from 3 to 1.. simple to do but using ps3 as a media player from PC doesn't work then.

seanybiker wrote: »
    I changed the Nat on my ps3 from 3 to 1.. simple to do but using ps3 as a media player from PC doesn't work then.

I don't care about using the media player

seanybiker wrote: »

I don't care about using the media player

Have you tried the port forwarding thing I mentioned earlier with the screenshots for your particular router?

Also options for DMZ were mentioned.

You can either try them two options or get broadband for some other company.

Ed

• Advertisement

Have you tried the port forwarding thing I mentioned earlier with the screenshots for your particular router?

Also options for DMZ were mentioned.

You can either try them two options or get broadband for some other company.

Ed

No i haven't, i can't do it myself that's the whole point of this thread im looking for a step by step guide by someone on the thread because any of the ones i've i couldn't grasp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

No i haven't, i can't do it myself that's the whole point of this thread im looking for a step by step guide by someone on the thread because any of the ones i've i couldn't grasp

If your not going to try yourself then you will be hard pressed to find someone here to help you

O_o apparently so, although i have no idea how to do it and i think this is the thing i was referring to a few posts back about if there not the same it can knock off your broadband

So you have this IP Passthrough/DMZ option on your settings page ye? From the screenshot provided, it would seem all you have to do is enter your PS3's IP address into this box. Although, if your PS3's IP address were dynamic this could change. Pick something like 192.168.2.99 in the router page. Then go to network settings on PS3 and set its IP to static; set this to 192.168.2.99.

So you have this IP Passthrough/DMZ option on your settings page ye? From the screenshot provided, it would seem all you have to do is enter your PS3's IP address into this box. Although, if your PS3's IP address were dynamic this could change. Pick something like 192.168.2.99 in the router page. Then go to network settings on PS3 and set its IP to static; set this to 192.168.2.99.

thank you, i will try to do this tomorrow :)

thorbarry wrote: »
    If your not going to try yourself then you will be hard pressed to find someone here to help you

No you don't understand me, im not saying i want someone to do it for me im saying that i want someone who knows what they're talking about in this field to explain in their own words how to do it cause every "guide" i went on never helped me, and despite being modest Ed and Frankled have helped to explain how i do this

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Hi there I had the same problem with my internet and ps3 my security was Nat type 3 and i could never play any of my games online even though i had great broadband. I have the silver netopia router i got from eircom 4 years ago. looked around the internet for a solution and i was told how to change from Nat type 3 to Nat type 1.

I was told to use a PPPoE...... i dont know what it is but i seen a video on youtube on how to do it step by step. In the video the guy says the PPPoE name and password is simply broadband1 but mine was not. I changed internet from eircom to puretelecom so i just rang them up and they told me what they were.

This video should do it for you
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xod5TQy1eBI

I hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Just so you know doing this doesn't effect your internet security at all. I don't fully understand how it works but if you really want to know just google it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

If that is the eircom router? if so and when your setting the IP settings (on your ps3) go to PPPoE - Set username: "eircom@eircom.net" and Password: "broadband1"
    think of your router being a bouncer to a nightclub and this username/pass being a VIP pass

worked a charm for me! I found it on youtube but it will definitely work for eircom users. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br9VOFyvefg

if your with vodafone i'm not sure. give it a go as the PPPoE settings should just be on the router. *However if your netopia router then connects to another router you have from Vodafone - the issue is with the vodafone router, I had a look at one of them before for a friend with the same issue and I remember them being quite restricted to adjust settings however if you can change them, try open the following ports to the IP address your netopia router has been assigned.

TCP:
    UDP:
    3658 should also be opened for voice chat.

it'll will make sense when you find the port open settings on your vodafone router. (if there's one :S)

As your scenario isn't as straight forward as most people (having the Eircom router on a Vodafone connection) might need some more information to help you along but let me know how that works for you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭mad dave

I have been trying to figure this out for 2 years now. I am on eircom wireless. Tried your thing and it's worked. thanks very much.:)

• Advertisement

mad dave wrote: »
    I have been trying to figure this out for 2 years now. I am on eircom wireless. Tried your thing and it's worked. thanks very much.:)
    `
    Well im glad to see my thread helped someone :)

Advertisement