Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eddie Rockets!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

ah yeah i prefer morning swims as evening swims can be badly hampered with egits! i am going to have to suss the morning wakeups. I was thinking of hitting the sack at 10pm the evening before, rising around 5.30am and having a proper brekkie which would give me 90mins digesting before swim start. Might also experiment with some liquid brekkies which would digest quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Bambaata wrote: »
    ah yeah i prefer morning swims as evening swims can be badly hampered with egits! i am going to have to suss the morning wakeups. I was thinking of hitting the sack at 10pm the evening before, rising around 5.30am and having a proper brekkie which would give me 90mins digesting before swim start. Might also experiment with some liquid brekkies which would digest quicker.

Considering you haveup to 2 hours worth of a glycogen store, why would you need a breakfast for an early swim session. Ok, it may be 8-10 hours since you last ate and you still burn calories in your sleep. Surely just a quick top up will get you going? Chrissie Wllington eats half a banana with peanut butter spread on top and honey drizzled over, before an early swim session and then has a big breakkie afterwards. If I wake up a bit peckish this is what I have, or a large glass of OJ and/or a small yogurt for some sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Considering you haveup to 2 hours worth of a glycogen store, why would you need a breakfast for an early swim session. Ok, it may be 8-10 hours since you last ate and you still burn calories in your sleep. Surely just a quick top up will get you going? Chrissie Wllington eats half a banana with peanut butter spread on top and honey drizzled over, before an early swim session and then has a big breakkie afterwards. If I wake up a bit peckish this is what I have, or a large glass of OJ and/or a small yogurt for some sugar

+1

Or you could start experimenting with "training on empty" and the adaptations that come with it - like becoming a fat burner.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

pgibbo wrote: »
    +1

Or you could start experimenting with "training on empty" and the adaptations that come with it - like becoming a fat burner.

Is that not quite tough with the swim? I'd find myself getting really weak swimming on empty. No issues doing it running or on the bike but swimming makes me hungry.

Ill give that a go too. Gonna look into it more over the coming days as i want to feel good in the water! I think it might partially be down to the slight break in swimming recently and the amount of evening swimming i had been doing. I was traditionally a morning swimmer but got lazy the past while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

pgibbo wrote: »
    +1

Would only eat a banana before an early swim. But the early swim usually means getting to work 30-45min early, which is where microwaves and quick-oats come into their own...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Is that not quite tough with the swim? I'd find myself getting really weak swimming on empty. No issues doing it running or on the bike but swimming makes me hungry.

I hear you. You get used to it though. Initially I used to find it hard. I had built up to doing 4k on empty with water on deck. I'd then have a banana and some protein in 8oz of fruit juice before I hit the shower. Within an hour of the swim I'd have a decnet breakfast and made sure there was protein in the brekkie too. That helped with recovery and enabled me to run at lunchtime.

That wind was brutal today out there. I ran there at lunchtime from the business park, first time running out that way. I was only doing a recovery run but the wind still annoying!!

What time where you out along there at? I was along it from 13:10 to 13:35 or so. I generally get to the Bull Island bridge and back through Fairview Park to work (Croker) 3 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭HalfTri

I hear you. You get used to it though. Initially I used to find it hard. I had built up to doing 4k on empty with water on deck. I'd then have a banana and some protein in 8oz of fruit juice before I hit the shower. Within an hour of the swim I'd have a decnet breakfast and made sure there was protein in the brekkie too. That helped with recovery and enabled me to run at lunchtime.

What protein shake would you suggest taking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

I eat like a savage and if a banana and a cup of coffee on the way into the pool for an early swim can keep me going - a finely honed machine like yourself should surely be able to do it.

Always love coming home after and having the big breakfast and a coffee then as I don't feel so guilty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

When I was swimming competitively, I don't believe I ever ate before a morning session. Of course the morning sessions were so blame early, but I would have snacks in the car for my return trip home, and then I'd make a pig out of myself with a full breakfast. Everyone's different about what works for them, but I'm more in line with pgibbo. Your body adapts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

For the last two years I've been an early morning swimmer and BTH cannot imagine going back to afternoon/evening swimming again. I agree with Dory and P Gibbo, you will get used of it. For me it's a half a banana before and that's it. On the way to the pool (2min or min) I'll have a few sips of my on deck drink (1l of High5 Zero). Then after it's 200ml water and whey and the other half of banana and finish off on deck drink. Proper breakie then before work.

Already on the 3rd page of your log-keep it up!

Well ill be going back to the routine of morning swimming as of tomorrow.

Saturday 7th January
    Bike - 3.5hrs hilly (seated)
    So the weekend. I was off up in Leitrim for the weekend visiting Leisha's grandmother. It was a good chance to vary up the terrain so while i brought he turbo just in case cycling conditions were extreme fortuntately it didnt get used. Got out for a great spin. Plan was for 03:30:00 ride with hills and staying seated on those hills. Out came the OS map and i planned a route from Drumkeeran towards Ballyconnel but diverting through Swanlinbar towards Enniskillen and back via Belcoo after seeing that there seemed to be some hills that direction. Well hills i definitely found. I was constantly changing gears! It was very rolling and then i got some nice decent climbs out towards Swanlinbar. Mallorca supposedly has a fairly hairy descent off the largest climbs and this was similar. I was hitting 55-60km/hr into sweeping bends and was loving it. The rain that came inside the first hour was long forgotten about. Twas a savage route and ill definitely be doing it again. I pushed the climbs a bit but always remained seated. Unfortunately i had taken a wrong turn near the start which added about 10km to the trip so i was beginning to lose light. It meant i had to put in some steady effort just above easy for the last hour. I also took a slightly longer route home than planned and just got back before darkness fell properly! Power ave for the first 2 hours or so was just above 200W but it climbed due to that dash home. I felt great though and really enjoyed it. Took on 900mls Lucazade Sport, 750mls water, an aldi fudge flapjack and an Aldi cereal bar. Here was the route - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/140128582
    Time: 03:51:00, Ave Power 218W, Distance 113.78km Elevation Gain 1,094 m

Sunday 8th January
    Run - 1.5hrs easy (run 19:30/walk00:30)
    I was expecting the legs to kick back a little at me for yesterday and as was expected the first 25mins or so i had to push to get the HR up into the easy zone, RPE was beyond what it should have been. I was thinking it was going to be a toughie but they suddenly got into gear and i felt fine from then on. I actually felt better as the session went on. First 19:30 had a large enough descent so was quite quick. I then went onto roads i don't really know and the route got lumpy. I felt good though and was happy to see the early rain clear. Felt great right to the end and could have gone on and on but alas it was time to stop before i knew it. Good run and happy to get under the 01:30 for the half marathon at easy pace this early in the training.
    The 19:30 splits were:
    1 Ave pace 3:59, distance 4.89, ave HR 133
    2 Ave pace 4:12, distance 4.64, ave HR 140
    3 Ave pace 4:18, distance 4.53, ave HR 140
    4 Ave pace 4:20, distance 4.49, ave HR 142
    5 Ave pace 4:24, distance 2.54, ave HR 146 (last 11mins, bitch of a climb to finish!)
    Here's the run - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/140128626
    Time: 01:31:00, Ave Pace 4:16 min/km, Distance 21.33km Elevation Gain 211m

Good weekend and about to get some rolling in on the poor legs. 1 more week of decent work and then a recovery week.

What the heck is an aldi fudge flapjack? I'm not sure if it sounds delicious or disgusting.

Aldi are a chain of supermarket (German i think). Now that i look at it its not actually their own brand. This is the boyo - http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/product_range/product_range_21541.htm Bloody gorgeous they are and great for the long spins

Damn. They do look beautiful.

Monday 9th January
    Morning Swim
    Went better than the previous morning swim. Had a cereal bar as soon as i got up while getting the final bits of gear together. Then a small amount of Lucazade sport (200mls or so - took this to poolside and took a further 100mls across a few sips there) and a nice coffee for the 20min drive. Felt decent in the water. Form was ok and i was having to focus less and less on the limp wrist at the start of the stroke which id worked on with Eanna at B2R. Nice that its becoming more automatic. Twas an easy enough session with just 10x50p as 25fist/25 swim (generally coming in around 51), some easy 150's and some fast 50s on 70 to finish (39, 40, 40, 40). Enjoyed the swim and again the time flew by.
    Time:00:44:00, Distance: 2100m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Nice work on the weekend long bike and run!!

Cheers JB! Twas a good weekend for it. No real killer wind and only some drizzle which was actually ideal. Seriously beautiful area around there too and it was good to get off the beaten track! Im looking forward to a dry/clear day up there where i can actually see through past the mist. Also very satisfying to get a full week in, must do a summary now

What a fantasic weekend put down Bambaata! I must admit I was jealous reading it :) Lovely part of the country too. I dream of the day I can call 4:15/km my easy pace, I can see 4:28/km being my easy pace in the next few months which isn't bad but hopefully this time next year... 1km+ of climbing :o

Let me know when you are in that part of the country again dude, I may be able to join you for the spin.

• Advertisement

Monday 9th Jan
    Lunchtime Easy Run
    Finally the wind is gone! I never know what the weather is like when running from the office as we've no window but the pitch camera i can log onto showed it seemed decent enough (it can be deceptive). Felt a little tired from the weekend but still good enough. It was all at easy pace and i was glad of that, i wouldn't have liked to have had to put too much effort in as while the legs weren't aching they were a little on the tired side. I find myself nodding/saying hello to all runners along Clontarf Strand in case i bump into someone from here :P Still a few new people out and I haven't seen some of the regulars in a while?? Maybe they've taken an opposite resolution on. Great to have the training done for the day. I never leave running to the evening as i hate running in the dark.
    Time: 00:45:08, Ave Pace: 04:22min/km, Distance: 10.32km

What a fantasic weekend put down Bambaata! I must admit I was jealous reading it :) Lovely part of the country too. I dream of the day I can call 4:15/km my easy pace, I can see 4:28/km being my easy pace in the next few months which isn't bad but hopefully this time next year... 1km+ of climbing :o

Let me know when you are in that part of the country again dude, I may be able to join you for the spin.
    Cheers ElD. I will indeed let you know when im next around there, probably not for 5 to 6 weeks id say. Are you near there?

Well about 50 min but I'd be will to drive, love doing new routes and a great way to see this beautiful country of ours.

Cool. Well its a deadly route and one ill definitely be doing again. There are options to lengthen it also which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Bambaata wrote: »
    Monday 9th Jan
    Lunchtime Easy Run
    Finally the wind is gone! I never know what the weather is like when running from the office as we've no window but the pitch camera i can log onto showed it seemed decent enough (it can be deceptive). Felt a little tired from the weekend but still good enough. It was all at easy pace and i was glad of that, i wouldn't have liked to have had to put too much effort in as while the legs weren't aching they were a little on the tired side. I find myself nodding/saying hello to all runners along Clontarf Strand in case i bump into someone from here :P Still a few new people out and I haven't seen some of the regulars in a while?? Maybe they've taken an opposite resolution on. Great to have the training done for the day. I never leave running to the evening as i hate running in the dark.
    Time: 00:45:08, Ave Pace: 04:22min/km, Distance: 10.32km

You probably saw me out there at lunch time if it was between 12.30 -1 .30. Only one person said hello to me so i take it, it was you now:D.

Haha my saying hello to everyone and anyone seems to have worked :) I was in a grey top with a black one under and black shorts if that rings any bells. Was out there 01:15 - 01:40 myself so most likely i came across you at some point

i was in red top, black shorts, you probably went by me on the turn on to clontarf stretch!

Hmmmm....maybe there should be some form of boardie identification that is recognizable to other boardies when out and about. Name tags are so last century...and not everyone is game for a tattoo....but perhaps boardie t-shirts?

There was a boardsie training top awhile ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Good work on the log Bambaata, nice steady improvement by the looks of things. Will keep an eye on it though at the moment it's making me feel lazy and slow!

Advertisement