Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January/February Beers -

Options
  • 03-01-2012 11:43pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭

On Saturday 4th Feb, we'll meet around 6 at Cafe Pacifico with a view to getting in around 6:15. They operate a first-come-first-served system on Saturday evenings, so if you want to come along for food PM me your number and let me know if you're coming.

After delicious nom noms and possible squiffyness-inducing cocktails (WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!) Jack B Badd and I have to shoot off as we've got tickets for a show, but the rest of ye will presumably move on to a watering hole of some sort. The Interwebs seem to think that The Harp Bar is quite good, so ye might want to start there.

(We now return you to the original version of this post...)

On Saturday 4th Feb, we'll meet around 6 at Cafe Pacifico with a view to getting in around 6:15. They operate a first-come-first-served system on Saturday evenings, so if you want to come along for food PM me your number and let me know if you're coming.

After delicious nom noms and possible squiffyness-inducing cocktails (WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!) Jack B Badd and I have to shoot off as we've got tickets for a show, but the rest of ye will presumably move on to a watering hole of some sort. The Interwebs seem to think that The Harp Bar is quite good, so ye might want to start there.

(We now return you to the original version of this post...)

Moved due to now having happened in the past:

Right, we're doing both dates.

On Saturday 28th Jan, we'll meet around 6 outside Meat Liquor for food, with a view to join the queue around 6:15 so we can get in and get served before it's too busy. Since Meat Liquor don't let you jump the queue, you should PM me your number and let me know if you're coming for food so that we don't end up going in without you.

After delicious nommable food, we'll head to The Adam & Eve for further beverigible consumption, and see how the evening goes from there.

Huzzah, we're into 2012 (or as I saw one particular numpty refer to it while being interviewed on New Year's Day, "two twelve") and there's not even the whiff of a Mayan around the place. (Surprising nobody with any braincells to rub together, but that's a different conversation...)

Anyway, January is upon us, that drab and dreary bollix of a month. To combat the inevitable misery that this brings with it, I suggest the traditional boardsie remedy of beer & grub.

Now, the question is...do we do it the last Saturday in January, or the first in February? I'd prefer the last in January 'cos it's sooner, but payday for a lot of folks won't be until the Tuesday afterwards, so the first Saturday of February might be better.

As for the where...I'm sorely tempted by Meat Liquor again, but if our Resident London Food Guru bluedolphin wants to suggest somewhere else I say we follow her. If anyone else has suggestions for food and/or grub places, post them and we can get planning.

When do you want the next Beers to happen? 12 votes

Saturday 28th January
    0%
    Saturday 4th Feburary
    100%
    FyshPlayboyAlessandraJack B. Baddfluke83steafatbollixTefralsilvervixen84old hippyflynniniocork exile in london 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I'd say I'm in wherever it is and whenever it's on. Not in London yet but I will hopefully be starting to find my feet by the time it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

I hope to make the next one after this. Currently getting over a broken leg so Feb might be pushing it for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I'm in Paris the last weekend of January, so my vote is for February seeing as I haven't made one of these in months! Boo hiss!

I'll root around my Knowledgeable Culinary Database and see what I can come up with.

Any areas of London in mind? North, South, East, Central? Not gonna say West 'cos it's paaaaaaaaants over there. All else fails, MeatLiquor is not a bad offering! Om nom nom nom nom...

Edit: I've just looked at the Poll Results so far and it's not boding well for my attendance at this one either. Are you trying to tell me something, Fysh? :( Yore just using me for my Knowledgeable Culinary Database...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Saturday 4th Feburary
    Heh, after posting the poll and deciding to discard the idea of Friday nights I was reminded that I have tickets for a gig on the 4th, which makes it a bit awkward for me :o

I'll see if I can re-do the poll and include Friday 3rd. I'm not going near Saturday the 11th, there'll be some horrific mess of pre-Valentines crap all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Saturday 4th Feburary
    I voted 28th just cos it's sooner, but I can also do the 4th.

Friday nights are no good for me.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Fysh wrote: »
    I'll see if I can re-do the poll and include Friday 3rd. I'm not going near Saturday the 11th, there'll be some horrific mess of pre-Valentines crap all over the place

People might mistake us for a swinging group! :D I know what you mean though, everywhere will be jammed with vomit-inducing couples

Is there a way of doing a multiple-choice poll for those of us who could probably do either?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I would like to go to one. Can we have one in the West End though? Stop this West/NW London favouritism! The Adam and Eve off Ox St is spacious and wont be too packed at weekends for e.g.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Saturday 4th Feburary
    Can i add my name to this? Im a new blow in to London.

I woted for the 28th of Jan as that week I wont be flying back to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I would like to go to one. Can we have one in the West End though? Stop this West/NW London favouritism! The Adam and Eve off Ox St is spacious and wont be too packed at weekends for e.g.

What about us in the SE!!

I haven't been to one yet, but still :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Saturday 4th Feburary

I like this suggestion, it's 10 minutes walk away from Meat Liquor :D

We used to rotate the venue for the beers quite a lot but unfortunately as I work in central London and live in Kilburn it's hard for me to pick reliable venues in other areas. If you've got suggestions for venues in other areas please post them. It'd be nice to use the Beers as a way of seeing more parts of the city.
    duffarama wrote: »
    What about us in the SE!!

I haven't been to one yet, but still :mad:

We had a Beers in Balham not that long ago, and it was really good. We're probably overdue another trip down that way - we could do it for the Feb or March beers. If you fancy it, give us some ideas of where to go for food and/or drinks.

• Advertisement

Central London is really no problem for me!! I've a very reliable 24hour bus service which drops me to my door.

I can't make the 28th as my parents are in town that weekend, but will try make it to a boards beers before dragging the crew down to Brixton, Herne Hill or Tulse Hill :D

I live in Brixton btw if you've never been down here it's a great spot with lots of cool bars and places to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Saturday 4th Feburary
    I've only discovered this forum but have been living in London well over a year. I am game (if that's ok?). I voted for the 28th!!

I live in Brixton btw if you've never been down here it's a great spot with lots of cool bars and places to eat

I've been down to Brixton a lot!

Ritzy cinema is becoming a second home :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Am going to be on holidays but would be back for the 4th;would be interested in attending beers around then!

I would vote for the first weekend in Feb as it's the month after Xmas and funds will be depleted until 31st Jan (Payday!!!!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭Rob Nulty

Saturday the 4th is good for me. We could have them in the garden of remembrance, there's some sound lads there for a bit of craic.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I’m now firmly on the side of the 4th, as I have a friend from home coming to visit the previous weekend!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Saturday 4th Feburary
    It's even stevens for both dates, maybe have 2 beers to keep everyone happy? :D

Saturday 4th Feburary
    It's even stevens for both dates, maybe have 2 beers to keep everyone happy? :D

It's looking like that might be the best least bad option, alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Moved here a few months ago. Would be interested can make both dates at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dr.Giggles

I can make both dates too, I mean .... i'm very busy my schedule gets very hectic so i'll pencil them in.

(I can make both dates)

Ooh ooh... Looks like I won't miss out then.

Suggestion for February if we're going central: Cafe Pacifico in Covent Garden. I haven't eaten here, but have been told from a reliable source that it's decent. I have, however, partaken in the consumption of mojitos at the bar and I have to say they were damn good mojitos and not the worst price given the location. It could be a potential starting point anyway.

Unless the boardsies are brave enough to go...sowf. :eek:

Saturday 4th Feburary
    Unless the boardsies are brave enough to go...sowf. :eek:

Between the way you say that and Fishie's keenness for us to give the appearance of a swinging group, I'm starting to think that we've gathered together a group of nothing but filthy minded perverts!

(It probably doesn't help that I'm a filthy-minded pervert, but that's beside the point, damnit!)

Anyway, I reckon going Saaaaaaaarf can wait until the March beers. But central is good, and I reckon we could hit Cafe Pacifico on the 4th for grub and/or cocktails.

I shall concoct a plan over the weekend.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Saturday 4th Feburary
    The Adam and Eve http://www.geronimo-inns.co.uk/theadamandeve/
    that BrazilNZ suggested looks really quirky and cool.

The Adam and Eve http://www.geronimo-inns.co.uk/theadamandeve/
    that BrazilNZ suggested looks really quirky and cool.

Ooh it does indeed! I especially love the giant fork and spoon on the wall in one of their gallery pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Can't make the last weekend in January, as I'm heading up to Leicestershire with a few friends. February seems best to me also.

Saturday 4th Feburary
    Right, we're doing both dates.

On Saturday 28th Jan, we'll meet around 6 outside Meat Liquor for food, with a view to join the queue around 6:15 so we can get in and get served before it's too busy. Since Meat Liquor don't let you jump the queue, you should PM me your number and let me know if you're coming for food so that we don't end up going in without you.

After delicious nommable food, we'll head to The Adam & Eve for further beverigible consumption, and see how the evening goes from there.

Any objections, or suggestions for more/alternative places to try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

ok im going for the 4th Feb...be great to see yez :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Saturday 4th Feburary
    Think I might like to attend one of these. Any other women going?

Advertisement