Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell XPS Desktop 8300, i7-2600 3.40GHz, 12GB ram, 1.5TB HDD, W7

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭thegift06

Icarus152 wrote: »

This might be worth a look, you won't find many IPS displays for that price. I think ebuyer deliver for £10, but I'm not 100% on delivery to Ireland...

http://www.ebuyer.com/284104-lg-ips225v-lcd-led-21-5-hdmi-monitor-ips225v-bn

It's £120 on Amazon with delivery.
    I was told before on computer forum that ebuyer dont deliver to Ireland

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

thegift06 wrote: »
    I was told before on computer forum that ebuyer dont deliver to Ireland

They do, but I think you hav to use google checkout iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Davy wrote: »

Interesting, must look into that.

cheers to all the lads over in the computer forum so ha ha

This quoting glitch needs fixing ^^. Sorry. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

No they have stopped completely now. Think it was related to that whole import limit before they have to start paying Irish VAT thing. Post about it here from march.

You could still use deliverme.ie to get stuff I guess.

can a mod change title to 12Gb ram instead of 6Gb and 1.5TB instead of 1TB, I would if i could but i cant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

can a mod change title to 12Gb ram instead of 6Gb and 1.5TB instead of 1TB, I would if i could but i cant

Done. Report the post in future and we will see it quicker, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jaegermeister

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

So tempted by this! Got a Dell XPS 720 in that dell outlet sale on ebay a few years back that has treated me very well, would love to upgrade to this.

Does anyone know how loud/quiet this system is? The one complaint I had about the 720 was it was quite loud.

• Advertisement

Liking the telly is no basis for choosing a monitor. :D That first LG has terrible resolution - 1366 x 768

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I'd be surprised if it was anywhere near as loud as the 720. The main source of noise in the 720 was the electrical hum off the PSU. The PSU in the 8300 is much less powerful and the 720 PSU was clearly flawed in design. I expect you'll be able to hear the fans to be sure but they won't be unduly loud. If you do upgrade the graphics card (or even put the one from your 720 in it) then that'd likely make it noisier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Zab wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if it was anywhere near as loud as the 720. The main source of noise in the 720 was the electrical hum off the PSU. The PSU in the 8300 is much less powerful and the 720 PSU was clearly flawed in design. I expect you'll be able to hear the fans to be sure but they won't be unduly loud. If you do upgrade the graphics card (or even put the one from your 720 in it) then that'd likely make it noisier.

Think its actually the 710 I have. The 720 was the water cooled one wasn't it? Mine isn't water cooled. Why would the 8800GTX be on a similar level as the gfx card in this machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

There were watercooled versions of both I think. The 710 and 720 had the same noisy ~750w power supply although there was also a 1kw one depending on what options you picked. The one in the 8300 is only 460w.

The 8800 GTX would be better than the stock graphics card in the 8300. Check the benchmark post and link I posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭somurray

Has the price changed slightly from previosuly mentioned in this thread?

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ie&l=en&cs=iedhs1&kc=&oc=D00X8328

Its at € 799.00 at the moment. 15% of that would make the base PC
    €679.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

somurray wrote: »

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ie&l=en&cs=iedhs1&kc=&oc=D00X8328

€679.15.
    Yeah they upgraded the ram and HD, 40 euro dearer

somurray wrote: »

€679.15.

no man read the first post again, it starts at €799,15% off brings it to €683.65 and minus the delivery code brings it to €653.65, where is 679.15 coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

no man read the first post again, it starts at €799,15% off brings it to €683.65 and minus the delivery code brings it to €653.65, where is 679.15 coming from?

You are forgetting the free delivery code, Which brings it down ~€25.

You are forgetting the free delivery code, Which brings it down ~€25.

no i didnt forget the €30 delivery code

no i didnt forget the €30 delivery code

???

Its at € 799.00 at the moment. 15% of that would make the base PC €679.15.

You have answered your own question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Smurph90

Ugh the absolute effort of sorting this. Theres no way im passing up an extra 6gb ram and 500 gb memory for 40 euro. I dont even care if i wont use the extra ram.

???

You have answered your own question.

i never asked any question you said I forgot the delivery code and I said I didnt?

i never asked any question you said I forgot the delivery code and I said I didnt?

Ah sorry, I quoted the wrong person then mistook you for said person, my bad.

I do apologize.

Ah sorry, I quoted the wrong person then mistook you for said person, my bad.

I do apologize.

no bother mate I was just completely confused

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Also will this video card need to be upgraded to play (eg) Skyrim on highest/ultra settings? Will i be able to play PC on high specs for the next few years?

To be honest, you'd want to be spending a separate €200 on a new graphics card (and possibly 60-100 on a new power supply unit to match if the one in it isn't sufficient) if you're looking at that kind of detail.
    The build, as it is, would be more suited to work station applications - the hyper threading in the Intel 2600 and high amount of memory would be of benefit to people doing work with media encoding & and editing rather than gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PaddyM7

I am considering getting one of these but am totally clueless about hardware so would appreciate any help. Is the stock card (530) suitable for video editing, rip from blue ray and watching video files in 1080? I am not a big gamer so running stuff in ultra settings is not an an issue but would this card struggle with any modern high end game even at lower settings? Can you run a two monitor set up with it? If I upgraded to the 545 card with dell would it make a big difference performance wise, don't know if I could install a card myself if I got it seperately. I am fairly clueless, sorry for all the questions but any help is really appreciated. Thanks

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Hey Paddy - I'm also in the market for a new PC (video editing, gaming, internet) and asked the boffins in PC Building & Upgrading forum about these dell deals; they're extremely helpful & knowledgeable - if you'd consider building your own you can get better specs for the same price.

AFAIK from reading this thread and on the PC B&U forum; these dells are a good deal but need a better graphics card, stay away from Dell's suggested upgrades as they're very overpriced. Like i7 core, 12GB RAM, huge Hard drive; all that's missing to play games on high specs a nice graphics card (this is the one at the top of my list - HD6870).

Would u consider getting the dell and then getting a better graphics card separately? Like dell's upgrade is €270 but my one listed above is 147 (+30 S&H i'd imagine)

I realise making ur own PC includes a ton of hassle (not get it, turn on, hey presto) but I thought i'd mention it since the guys on boards have been so kind helping me. Also some dude nicely posted the benchmark tests for graphics cards comparison on page 2 of this thread iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PaddyM7

Thanks for the info jay, I actually would like to build my own pc but have never done anything technical before and am afraid I would make a bags of it! The dell is good value for the most part except for the graphics card

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

PaddyM7 wrote: »
    I am considering getting one of these but am totally clueless about hardware so would appreciate any help. Is the stock card (530) suitable for video editing, rip from blue ray and watching video files in 1080? I am not a big gamer so running stuff in ultra settings is not an an issue but would this card struggle with any modern high end game even at lower settings? Can you run a two monitor set up with it? If I upgraded to the 545 card with dell would it make a big difference performance wise, don't know if I could install a card myself if I got it seperately. I am fairly clueless, sorry for all the questions but any help is really appreciated. Thanks

does it even have a bluray drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

does it even have a bluray drive?

Do people still use optical media?

Advertisement