Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas 2011 - When will it end for you, and when will your decorations come down?

Options
  • 03-01-2012 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

The 6th of January is traditionally the last day of Christmas, its also when the Christmas tree-lights and the decorations come down and get put back up into the loft until next year, (or at least thats how it always was), but I have noticed a trend in recent years wherby the tree and decorations tend to be put away much earlier than the 6th, my neighbours took down their tree yesterday (2nd/Jan), admittedly they had it up far too early, at the beginning of December!

Anybody else observing this trend, early up, early down?

Comments

Mostly over and cleaned up now, after a near 50 hour house party last weekend called for a big clean up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It ends at 00.00 on the 26th of december:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

They went up on the 17th, came down on New Years Day. As far as I'm concerned once the leftovers are finished, so is Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

6th of January for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The problem is that here we don't have a high point after New Years Day and Christmas just peters out. I always hated the last few days after New Years as kid as everything would start to get back to normal and school would loom large on the horizon, even though it was still technically Christmas.

I'd love if we made a big deal out of Twelfth Night like they do in other countries and were able to keep the Christmas spirit going till then.

I know some people are probably sick of Christmas already and can't wait to see the back of it once it's January (I know I get the feeling myself we've really lost our ancestors' appreciation of periods of idleness), but I'd like to at least finish Christmas with a bang instead of a whimper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Didnt have many decoartions in the first place this year, and only put em up around the 16th December, but took down my small tree yesterday. Still have a few Christmas candles etc about, will prob put them away today/tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Tonight when kids in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

When the kids go back to school, after then 6 weeks summer break in Oz.

That will be about January 27th 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

6th of January for me. Christmas only comes once a year so may as well celebrate it for as long as possible.

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    I threw the few cards I got in the recycling this morning.

I know how you feel, I sent out over 80 cards and only got back 76.

Don't you fell "just ripped off" by Christmas.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

The problem is that here we don't have a high point after New Years Day and Christmas just peters out. I always hated the last few days after New Years as kid as everything would start to get back to normal and school would loom large on the horizon, even though it was still technically Christmas.

I'd love if we made a big deal out of Twelfth Night like they do in other countries and were able to keep the Christmas spirit going till then.

I know some people are probably sick of Christmas already and can't wait to see the back of it once it's January (I know I get the feeling myself we've really lost our ancestors' appreciation of periods of idleness), but I'd like to at least finish Christmas with a bang instead of a whimper.

I agree. I remember being dragged to mass on the 6th and the priest saying that in some countries the 6th was a big festival and feeling really gypped. I know in Spain the 6th of Jan is a big holiday where kids beat a log with sticks and it gives them presents (I saw that on my nephew's Tellytubbies video) and in the past in England it was the feast of misrule, where the lowest servant in a castle would be lord for the night and order the actual lord about, to everyone's amusement. More recently this was replaced with the servant's ball.

I think that if people (especially parents of young children) are going to keep their trees up until the 6th, they should bloody well do something good on the last day to make it worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Nearly took them down yesterday in a fit of enthusiasm, but instead decided to eek a few more days out of them and go for next weekend.

I hate lonely looking poinsettias.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This Friday the tree comes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

In our place they don't usually go up before the 8th of December (bar we're snowed in) and come down after the 6th of January, tradition from the grandparents and so on.

Biggins wrote: »
    Tonight when kids in bed.

Too scared to take it down while they're awake are you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

iguana wrote: »
    I agree. I remember being dragged to mass on the 6th and the priest saying that in some countries the 6th was a big festival and feeling really gypped. I know in Spain the 6th of Jan is a big holiday where kids beat a log with sticks and it gives them presents (I saw that on my nephew's Tellytubbies video) and in the past in England it was the feast of misrule, where the lowest servant in a castle would be lord for the night and order the actual lord about, to everyone's amusement. More recently this was replaced with the servant's ball.

I think that if people (especially parents of young children) are going to keep their trees up until the 6th, they should bloody well do something good on the last day to make it worth it.

In Italy they have a similar holiday too: kids get presents from Bafana, a witch, and everyone gets the day off and has a great big meal at home.

We're probably too used to Christmas effectively ending with the New Year to change things and make Twelfth Night a big holiday.
    It's a pity as it makes more sense in some ways to me as Christmas here has a very unnatural rhythm: a few days of anticipation between Christmas Day and New Years followed by a few depressing days where it's still technically Christmas and there's still a few lingering Christmassy elements (decorations up, a few sweets left, James Bond and Indiana Jones on tv last night, Narnia on tonight!) but things are also back to normal (work, most tv).

A celebration on the 6th would give things a better rhythm, with three tentpole holidays (Christmas Day, New Year's Day and Twelfth Night) anchoring the Christmas period and keeping the holiday spirit going.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

My tree came down on the 29th but it goes up end November or early December so once Christmas is over the tree goes too. Christmas in my house is the build up from mid November till st Stephens day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Harry the Red

goddamn this topic. i refuse to take my tree down on 6 january. it's too sad! 2 weeks at least, please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

goddamn this topic. i refuse to take my tree down on 6 january. it's too sad! 2 weeks at least, please!

Agreed, actually I meant to say 'after the 6th' in my opening post instead of on the 6th, mind you, judging by the posts here most people take their tree down long before the end of December never mind after the 6th of Jan :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Waited until most the kids were out playing on New Years Day then dragged the tree around to the rubble of the local ghost estate.
    Noticed last years tree was still there along with about 50 others.
    Should have burned them Halloween night, note to self for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Out here everything goes up on the 4th Thursday in November (Thanksgiving) but comes down on Jan 1 or 2. Ours is staying up 'til Little Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭gidget

Our tree & decorations will come down the 6th! Once everything's packed away & the furniture has been replaced properly that will be the end for another year!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Mine came down today :( but had been up since the last week of November. The place looks weird now, but once it's into January, still having the decorations up is like rubbing salt into the wound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

I think it is inexcusable to take down Christmas decorations before the 6th January. You do realise that the 12 days of Christmas last up until, and include, the 6th of January?

There are some real unChristmassy people around here!!!:eek:

My problem is that once December 26th is over that's it, in Ireland at least.
    Christmas FM is over (:()and it's New Year's Eve this and that- and SALE SALE SALE.

I put my decorations up very early and often take them down at the start of January. I don't think a couple of days makes much of a difference once it's all over. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

Posy wrote: »
    My problem is that once December 26th is over that's it, in Ireland at least.
    Christmas FM is over (:()and it's New Year's Eve this and that- and SALE SALE SALE.

I put my decorations up very early and often take them down at the start of January. I don't think a couple of days makes much of a difference once it's all over. :(

But it's not!! Christmas runs until the 6th of January. Yes, it can be difficult to still perceive that we are in the Christmas season due to certain things we associate with Christmas coming to a close, e.g. Christmas FM, and new things beginning, e.g. the sales and shock, gasp, horror-today, I saw EASTER EGGS, yes, EASTER EGGS(!!!) in Dunnes!!!

However, it's completely media-ran. They start off advertising early for Christmas, sometimes before Halloween is even thought about, and then they close the Christmas season prematurely to focus our attention on even more products to buy.

Keep the Christmas tree a lightin'!!

Sure, I'm still listening to Christmas songs, eating mince pies and I have about 2 more tins of Roses to get through!!:p

Nah, I just can't be Christmassy when it's all over.
    I'm very Christmassy in October/November/December however. :D

It's just too sad for me now. All the fun is in the build up.
    Just my feelings- I just can't be festive when it's January. :(

August, though is another story.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Rainbow_brite

Christmas officially over in my house took down the decorations this morning and had my Lindt chocolate Reindeer for lunch! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭suzzi

eating chocolate reindeer's & easter bunnies for sale in the same week............it's just not right....:(

Advertisement