Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overrated rappers

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

What do you mean? He had a big part to play in the group. Polo did not produce a lot of the tracks either thats not to say he did not do other things.

I think what he is saying is the Eric B. has the production credits on the album, but rumour is that he was rarely in the studio, let alone behind the boards. But he still got the production credit on the album sleve for producing the song.

Polo didnt do the majority of the production, but its correctly noted in the credits as to what he did and didnt do. Marley Marl done the bulk of the production.....and in a twist of irony, Eric B. also prduced some of the tracks on the Kool G Rap & DJ Polo albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

baddebt wrote: »
    Hugh Cream wrote: »
    Method Man

you gotta be ****tin me :eek:
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think what he is saying is the Eric B. has the production credits on the album, but rumour is that he was rarely in the studio, let alone behind the boards. But he still got the production credit on the album sleve for producing the song.

Polo didnt do the majority of the production, but its correctly noted in the credits as to what he did and didnt do. Marley Marl done the bulk of the production.....and in a twist of irony, Eric B. also prduced some of the tracks on the Kool G Rap & DJ Polo albums.

Ok, but he was one half of Eric B and Rakim. He did some things for most of the songs either general production or the beats and was on tour, videos and interviews.

Lots of people get mentioned in credits and some people who should get mentioned do not get mentioned etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Ok, but he was one half of Eric B and Rakim. He did some things for most of the songs either general production or the beats and was on tour, videos and interviews.

Lots of people get mentioned in credits and some people who should get mentioned do not get mentioned etc.

Large Professor didnt get mentioned once in the credits for Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em, but he apparently produced the whole thing.

If there were anomalies on 1 or 2 songs with the credits, fair enough, but Eric B. taking credit for a whole album he didnt produce is taking it a bit too far.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Large Professor didnt get mentioned once in the credits for Let The Rhythm Hit 'Em, but he apparently produced the whole thing.

If there were anomalies on 1 or 2 songs with the credits, fair enough, but Eric B. taking credit for a whole album he didnt produce is taking it a bit too far.

He was one half of Eric B and Rakim - him not being accredited would be weird and not very likely. But I do see the point/problem.

Producers and more so directors in films often get more credit than they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Eminem illustrates a story better than any other rapper out there, could 2pac have wrote role model. I dont think so .

Tbh Id rate eminem prob the best rap writer of all time.As for rapping hes prob not the best , but hes up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

cloptrop wrote: »
    Eminem illustrates a story better than any other rapper out there, could 2pac have wrote role model. I dont think so .

Tbh Id rate eminem prob the best rap writer of all time.As for rapping hes prob not the best , but hes up there.

Slick Rick, Tupac, Immortal technique all have equally good story telling skills man.
    And i agree with you that he's up there, not the best of all time though imo

baddebt wrote: »
    thats the whole point of the thread, most, if not all those thats been mentioned have a number of classic songs, maybe a great album.
    Meth is no different, definitely has some great songs, but personally speaking i think he fell of the face of the earth years ago.
    you may disagree but imo his best days are behind him, for that reason i think hes over rated.

thats the whole point of the thread, most, if not all those thats been mentioned have a number of classic songs, maybe a great album.
    Meth is no different, definitely has some great songs, but personally speaking i think he fell of the face of the earth years ago.
    you may disagree but imo his best days are behind him, for that reason i think hes over rated.
    But if your going on that way of thinking are you saying everyone will be overrated eventually. "pac and biggie are way over rated then, they have been dead years.

• Advertisement

Tupac wrote several songs better than role model.

I think the opposite is true pac and biggie are not overated:

"When Jay was 33, Hov worked to build a Blueprint
    When Em was 33, he sold 30 million units
    And Biggie Smalls' status as a legend's quite clear,
    And when he was 33, he'd been dead for 9 years!" - Iron Solomon.

They are still relevant despite not being alive for 16 and 15 years (roughly) respectively. Also you can not say they are only relevant because of how they died as they were both platinum and huge before their tragic ends.

Tupac wrote several songs better than role model.

yeah but he didnt write any quite like role model or Kim ,
    Eminem wrote alot of songs that nobody else could have written because he never took himself too seriously , he was always ready to poke fun at himself.
    As for Stan being the greatest song ever, somebody said that a while ago.
    Ok he improved a Dido song but in all fairness it was a Dido song , this is what seperates the beatle , stone roses culture club , frankie goes to hollywood etc tht that fella a few pages ago was going on about.
    If eminem was remembered in a musical sense it will not be for that song .It was nt even close to being the best song on that album.

No, because he was not Eminem. Only Eminem could rap about that.
    Eminem poked fun at other people mainly.

He is great, I love most of his music but saying he was a better writer or rapper than 2pac is crazy.

yeah but he didnt write any quite like role model or Kim ,
    Eminem wrote alot of songs that nobody else could have written because he never took himself too seriously , he was always ready to poke fun at himself.
    As for Stan being the greatest song ever, somebody said that a while ago.
    Ok he improved a Dido song but in all fairness it was a Dido song , this is what seperates the beatle , stone roses culture club , frankie goes to hollywood etc tht that fella a few pages ago was going on about.
    If eminem was remembered in a musical sense it will not be for that song .It was nt even close to being the best song on that album.

Whats the story with you actually makin sense now when you told us all rap was just for teenagers and we would all eventually grow out of it?:p

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Whats the story with you actually makin sense now when you told us all rap was just for teenagers and we would all eventually grow out of it?:p

Haha good spot. As I said when people actually give it a chance they get deeper and deeper into it.

Haha good spot. As I said when people actually give it a chance they get deeper and deeper into it.

Couldn't have said it better myself, the more you explore rap the better it gets.

No, because he was not Eminem. Only Eminem could rap about that.
    Eminem poked fun at other people mainly.

He is great, I love most of his music but saying he was a better writer or rapper than 2pac is crazy.
    I think he was a better writer than 2pac, look at all the different situations Eminmem wrote about , all the different types of moods he did well.He could rap about beating the missus and make you feel sorry for him.
    2 pac pretty much had 2 gears, Tough 2pac and 2pac feeling sorry for how tough they have it in the ghetto. You can pull out other songs but that may have been about other stuff but they werent as good as Eminem could have done them.
    Eminem could write a rap about cutting the grass in his back garden and make it great.

Lets call a spade a spade here for most of his career he was off his face and had occasional great songs but most of it was piss take, drugs and great production.

2pac actually rapped about lots of topics and did not need drugs (hardcore) to make great music.

I love eminems music, I grew up on it literally from 9 onwards as soon as he came out with dre.

But if anyone had two gears for most of his career it was him "dont give a ****" and "i wuv hallie/kim"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Pretty much all the rappers who have technical skills but don't say much and have a bad ear for beats. I don't think a lot of them have a good sense of how to make cohesive albums or their taste in production gets dated and they lose relevance.

Jay z is out of time alot by the way, ask anyone that plays music and has heard of him they will tell you that

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Jay z is out of time alot by the way, ask anyone that plays music and has heard of him they will tell you that
    What are you on about???

:confused:

But if your going on that way of thinking are you saying everyone will be overrated eventually. "pac and biggie are way over rated then, they have been dead years.
    no you've completely gotten the wrong end of the stick.

Lets call a spade a spade here for most of his career he was off his face and had occasional great songs but most of it was piss take, drugs .
    That's nonsense.

So all his producers and whoever else help in the making of an album never realize he's out of time, everybody ok's the release of an album where the artist is completely out of time without noticing he's out of time.
    But if you ask "anyone" theyl tell you he's out of time?
    btw not sure what you really mean either.

So all his producers and whoever else help in the making of an album never realize he's out of time, everybody ok's the release of an album where the artist is completely out of time without noticing he's out of time.
    But if you ask "anyone" theyl tell you he's out of time?
    btw not sure what you really mean either.

When live.
    But in all fairness hes more a business man than a rapper and has been for a very long time. Id put him in the p diddy category these days.

Did puffy ever explain why he changed his name from such a silly one to an even sillier one.

Advertisement