Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History Essays?

Options
13»

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The green and red


    India is tipped by all the grinds schools to come up because it was answered so badly last year.
    Interesting, our class just presumed that it wouldn't come up again. India is the worst out of the three in my opinion.


  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega


    If they thought India was poorly answered last year I can only imagine what it would be like if they put it up this year :pac:

    Anyone know what angles they can ask on India?


  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.


    Wow, I was told by my teacher not to bother with it at all, so I haven't since we actually did it in class last year. More work I guess haha.


  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega


    India is tipped by all the grinds schools to come up because it was answered so badly last year.

    Out of interest, which grinds schools are you referring to? You claim 'all of them' have said this which is a blatant exaggeration :p. I'm slightly concerned you're trying to throw people off here and the fact this is your first post doesn't help...


  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322


    India is tipped by all the grinds schools to come up because it was answered so badly last year.

    During the easter revision course in the Institute they didn't even bother going through India, just gave us handouts on it and went through the other two. I haven't heard anyone saying that india is likely to come up at all.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,218 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd


    History talk in trinity few Saturdays ago mentioned the chance of India , authors and some of them exam setters were there , they mentioned India but gave no notes or sample essays , gave notes and sample essays on race relations in France and Katanga


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho


    Dapics wrote: »
    Ah Yes, but could you give a coherant answer on the succeses and failures of the Land Wars between 1879 and 1882?!

    Not so simple actually.
    Its one thing to write stuff on a page but in history they are ruthless on the Overall engagement with the question (OE) and overall coherance.

    Its basically an applied english exam with references to historical events.

    Sorry, looking back at what I said was ridiculously condescending, arrogant and in no way helpful. I never actually did leaving certificate history, just picked it up in college and carried on towards MA level.

    What I was trying to say, but didn't portray at all because I'm an ass (being honest, and sorry for doing so) is that asking for other essays will not benefit you at all. What you need to do, is research and write your own work. That way you understand your own arguments much more clearly and you will understand why you are saying what you are saying.

    Some general rules of thumb I've learned, might help and might not, but here goes.
    1. When writing, leave your introduction until the very last thing. Obviously when writing on the day you can't do this, but in your preperation leave it until last. That way you know exactly what your introduction needs to state.
    2. Every paragraph must make a relevant point to your overall argument. A paragraph needs to first of all outline what the paragraph will do in relation to the overall argument. Then you state why this is relevant by using supporting evidence.
    3. Dates are important, but my advice is not to get hung up and depressed if you cannot remember them. What is much more important than dates is your interpretation of events. You'd be amazing how many students at my level cannot remember essential dates, myself included. I constantly have to look up some really basic stuff, but whats important is my understanding of when something happened and why.
    4. Concluding is simple. That doesn't change. You simply summarise everything you have said, ie a line per paragraph, summarising everything in relation to the argument you set out in your introduction (or will set out in your introduction if you are preparing.)

    Again apologies for my first post, I am writing a dissertation and think it just had me in a bad and unhelpful mood. If you love history, or are considering carrying on to third level, arguments are what set you aside from the rest. Obviously this is the 11th hour for leaving, so much of this work should be done already. Wikipedia is indeed your friend, as at leaving level there is more than enough here to formulate good strong arguments to support your points. Don't be afraid to think outside the box. For example I wrote one paper on the cause of the Irish Civil war, arguing that the divide in Ireland went back a decade or two prior to the treaty. If you can support your argument anything is valid. I wrote my first major work on Holocaust denial, stating how deniers are wrong, and often delirous, but that doesn't mean these people should be censored. Eventually thinking outside the box leads to a much stronger argument, giving you a unique advantage in writing something interesting. No matter what level you are writing at, if you write something which grabs your audience and catches their attention, your grades will benefit. Once you support everything with evidence.

    I'm not 'classically trained' in history as they say on masterchef to the chefs, but I have developed these little methods of writing which set me aside from the traditional writing, and if you can set yourself aside from simple chronological narrative writing, again your grades will benefit.

    Hope this is of some help to you all, and I wish you all the very best of luck in the upcoming exams. Hopefully see some of you around colleges in years to come ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭El Inho


    ps, going on absolute gut instinct, the Eucharistic congress will come up. National identity is a massive topic due to the decade of commemoration, and that question can really only come up this year.

    That is a fascinating question and writing about Irish national identity is actually really interesting. You're really looking at Ireland trying to return to the 'lands of saints and scholars' and being the most catholic place on earth. The Free State was so broke, they off loaded much of the nation building to the Church, which led to a ridiculous amount of problems, including the suppression of the carrigan report which in turn led (imo and others) to the child abuse for years to come.

    If you ask me that question will be a dead cert. Pardon the pun.


  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega


    El Spearo wrote: »
    ps, going on absolute gut instinct, the Eucharistic congress will come up. National identity is a massive topic due to the decade of commemoration, and that question can really only come up this year.

    That is a fascinating question and writing about Irish national identity is actually really interesting. You're really looking at Ireland trying to return to the 'lands of saints and scholars' and being the most catholic place on earth. The Free State was so broke, they off loaded much of the nation building to the Church, which led to a ridiculous amount of problems, including the suppression of the carrigan report which in turn led (imo and others) to the child abuse for years to come.

    If you ask me that question will be a dead cert. Pardon the pun.

    It came up last year?

    If they're going to ask on cultural identity, they could just ask it on a broad scale like 'What efforts did governments make to promote Irish cultural identity 1922-1939?'

    I wouldn't bother with the Eucharistic Congress at all. Of the case studies, the Anglo-Irish delegation is tipped to come up (which is a nasty one because they could potentially ask on the delegate meetings rather than the treaty debates).


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious


    India is tipped by all the grinds schools to come up because it was answered so badly last year.

    The papers for this year were in an advanced stage of setting before last year's exams would have been corrected.
    History talk in trinity few Saturdays ago mentioned the chance of India , authors and some of them exam setters were there , they mentioned India but gave no notes or sample essays , gave notes and sample essays on race relations in France and Katanga

    Exam 'setters' (do you mean drafters?) do not go around advertising who they are, so I doubt anyone knows whether they were at a History talk or not. If they were and advertised themselves as setters or drafters they will be out of a job next year. They are not allowed do talks on exams, in Trinity or anywhere.

    A great deal of mis-information and nonsense in this thread.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant


    spurious wrote: »
    A great deal of mis-information and nonsense in this thread.
    It's May - the rumour-mill is in overdrive.


  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭SeanyboyQPR


    It's May - the rumour-mill is in overdrive.

    The land question is surely bound to come up, hasnt done so for a while!


  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Cora O Mahony


    0mega wrote: »
    Out of interest, which grinds schools are you referring to? You claim 'all of them' have said this which is a blatant exaggeration :p. I'm slightly concerned you're trying to throw people off here and the fact this is your first post doesn't help...


    Kilmartin and the tutorial, why would i try throw people off ? hmmm:rolleyes: was just trying to help.. i just came on here to look at some essays (y)


  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Cora O Mahony


    spurious wrote: »
    The papers for this year were in an advanced stage of setting before last year's exams would have been corrected.



    Exam 'setters' (do you mean drafters?) do not go around advertising who they are, so I doubt anyone knows whether they were at a History talk or not. If they were and advertised themselves as setters or drafters they will be out of a job next year. They are not allowed do talks on exams, in Trinity or anywhere.

    A great deal of mis-information and nonsense in this thread.


    The history paper was only finalized in November :)


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious


    The history paper was only finalized in November :)

    Yes, but that means finalised as in the question breakdowns and all the ancillary stuff. The guts of the paper were set last summer, though I guarantee the setters didn't go blabbing what is on it.

    'Predictions' for most subjects are a complete waste of time.

    Plath.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6 lindade


    You can get the essay for the topic you like. For that first search for
    best essay writing companies and give order in any of the company. But you must check that the selected company is the best. Instead of trusting completely at the essay reviews you can go through the sites and can understand their language usage. Their presentation in the home page itself will give you an idea about the quality of their essays.


  • Registered Users Posts: 27 boogenhagen


    I find it a lot easier to just write down a heading such as health, economy etc. for each paragraph and then bullet points underneath with the details of what I am going to write in each paragraph and then just write around those points as best as I can, I haven't learned off an essay yet and I haven't gotten a grade below 75 on any of my essays.


Advertisement