Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History Essays?

Options
  • 02-01-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Ok so I know these threads have been done before but I can't seem to find one for this year. I think we should use this thread to exchange work and compare essays and stuff like that. Try to keep it on topic guys! :p

I'm looking for any essays on;

Modern Europe & the Wider World
    1. British withdrawal from India 1945-7
    2. The secession of Katanga 1960-65
    3. Race relations in France in the 1980s
    4. Lyndon Johnson and Vietnam 1963-8
    5. The Montgomery Bus Boycott 1956
    6. The moon landing, 1969

Modern Ireland
    1. The Treaty negotiations, October-December 1921
    2. Belfast during World War II
    3. The Eucharistic Congress

In return I have;

1. A Powerpoint presentation on British Withdrawal from India 1945-7
    2. Why did the US economy decline from the mid-1960s and how successful were government policies in trying to solve the economic problems
    3. Why did the US experience an economic boom in the 1950s and 1960s?

Modern Ireland
    1. How did divisions over the Treaty lead to civil war in Ireland in 1922?
    2. (PLAN ONLY) To what extent did the 1932 Eucharistic Congress and/or the language and education policies of Irish governments promote Irish cultural identity?
    3. (PLAN ONLY) During the period 1912-1920, what factors contributed to the partition of Ireland?
    4. (PLAN ONLY) How did the Unionist Party in power respond to the challenges posed by the existence of a substantial nationalist minority within Northern Ireland?
    5. What were the main social and economic challenges facing Northern Ireland from 1920 to 1939?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭chomps_x

Ah c'mon lads... Mocks are coming up and you're trying to say not one person has an essay to swap? :p Jaysus thought there would be loads of posts here by now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

So you're looking for 9 essays and in return 8 of the 'essays' you have done include a powerpoint presentation and 3 which are plan only.

Do your own homework.

So you're looking for 9 essays and in return 8 of the 'essays' you have done include a powerpoint presentation and 3 which are plan only.

Do your own homework.

No it's not like that at all. I've seen threads been done like this on other forums in which people exchange work and compare essays, but they're all a few years old now, so I just thought I'd make one which more a bit more up to date. It's not just for me it's for other people as well :) We do this in school. Everyone gets a different essay to write, it is handed up and corrected and then photocopied so every has more than twice the work done than they could have done on their own. Plus those 9 essays at the top are just an essay on each case study I've done so obviously I have an essay already done on each of them, as we get an essay after each case study :) All I wanted to do was compare what other people wrote for the same essay and then maybe I could give someone a point that I had in my essay and they could do the same in return. I didn't mean to seem like I was trying to copy work or anything :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a waste of time getting someone else's essays.

I am absolutely horrified if your account of everyone doing essays and passing them around is a reflection of how your history 'teacher' teaches. People like that deserve to lose their job.

Anyone who takes other people's work is only fooling themselves. You might artificially boost points to get into a course, but what will you do when no-one has 'sample' essays to give you for college?

spurious wrote: »
    It's a waste of time getting someone else's essays.

I am absolutely horrified if your account of everyone doing essays and passing them around is a reflection of how your history 'teacher' teaches. People like that deserve to lose their job.

Anyone who takes other people's work is only fooling themselves. You might artificially boost points to get into a course, but what will you do when no-one has 'sample' essays to give you for college?

I think it's a good idea because the only way to improve yourself is knowing where you went wrong. So if I was to write the same essay as you on the same topic, but our responses were completely different, I think it would be a good idea comparing them and seeing where both of us could improve. Do you not agree? As I said before I'm not trying to just copy and paste someone else's essay and say it was my own work. I'm merely just trying to compare what other people write for a certain question. And as for your comment on what way my teacher teaches. I find that it is very useful. There is simply no way of being able to write every single essay which has come up since 2006 and therefore this merely speeds up the process so that everyone has the papers covered. We all still have to study at the end of the day. Being handed an essay doesn't simply mean everyone will learn it :p I know people who have been handed essays of A1 standard and haven't even looked at them. The resource is there as my teacher says, and it's our own responsibility if we want to use it or not :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I accept you're not going to spew out someone else's essay, but there is an element of the blind leading the blind about students swapping essays. If your teacher is following DESS guidelines, they will already be employing 'Assessment for Learning' methods of correcting, so you should be told at the end of each essay what could have made it better/more relevant/whatever.

A1 standard essays are not just about the points made. The style of writing is a factor and no matter how many good points someone gets from someone else, they may be limited by how they write, how they construct an argument, their whole approach to an essay.

The best essays by far are ones written in response to a specific question. An 'A1' essay on 'Hitler's foreign policy' is almost useless if the question is 'Hitler's foreign policy - how it influenced xxxxxx'.

I welcome the statement from the SEC that they are going to make the papers 'less predictable' - about bloody time. Hopefully teachers will start teaching the syllabus again and not spend their time practising for exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

spurious wrote: »
    I welcome the statement from the SEC that they are going to make the papers 'less predictable' - about bloody time. Hopefully teachers will start teaching the syllabus again and not spend their time practising for exams.

+1

I did my Leaving Cert in 2005, and signed up for History in fifth year because I absolutely love the subject. Could only hack it for two weeks and moved into Chemistry instead.

The teacher's metod of teaching was to spend the two years dictating essays to us on different topics which we would write down, learn off and spout out onto paper. Rote learning for exams. I could not do it because I can't learn something off word for word. I need to be able to understand it to write about it. I am perfectly capable of writing a well-constructed argument, I did not need her to do that for me. But I cannot learn off someone else's words and spout them out in three hours.

It's about time that this changed. Then students may actually understand what they are writing about.

Ok, I did not intend for this to turn into a lecture forum. I simply wanted to create a basis for people to exchange and compare History essays, as that is what I am use to. I googled to see if anyone was doing the same online and I did in fact find a forum post on this site which did just that [URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056242120[/URL]. Unfortunatley the participants had already completely the big LC and were more than likely off doing assignments and did not want to compare History essays with a LC student, as I'm sure that would be in the back of their minds! I myself find it useful to see how other people go about answering a certain type of question and I'm certain there are people put there who feel the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

The OP never said he/she was going to learn off and rewrite essays ffs, theres no need to be so harsh. The history course is huge and I share essays with my friend in school - we both get A's, we can both do essays, but its nice to know whats relevant to the question, if theres anything you've left out and just get a more concrete idea of something like Hitler's foreign policy for example. It doesnt mean we're going to stop studying from our books too!

Thanks Patchy :D

• Advertisement

Ok what was the point in quoting what I said and then no comment :L

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

To do well in history you have to have your own grasp on a topic, and understand the reasoning behind things. Plagiarising someone elses work is only going to work against you.

I'll repeat this again.... I NEVER SAID I WANTED TO COPY PEOPLE ESSAYS. The thread was intended for people to exchange work and COMPARE as i have said numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭KathleenMcCabe

I'm trying to help a friends son with his ordinary history leavingcert and sample essays and bullet points on the topics would be very helpful. The idea of swapping is a good one for the correct reasons.

I have no essays to swap i'm afraid but wish you the best in getting your essays chompsx.

If you PM me and give me your email address I can send the ones I have here. I'm doing higher level so they might be a bit different but the bullet points should be the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

number10a wrote: »
    +1

I did my Leaving Cert in 2005, and signed up for History in fifth year because I absolutely love the subject. Could only hack it for two weeks and moved into Chemistry instead.
    The Leaving Cert History Syllabus changed in 2006 - moving away from rote learning.

You can try learning off essays and you might be lucky - but unless you know how to adapt the information you have to answer the essay question then you could end up making an absolute bags of the essay.

For those looking for help there are a number of websites out there

http://leavingcerthistory.net/

http://moorehistory.wordpress.com/

http://www.stkevinscollege.com/leavingHistory.html

http://leavingcertificatehistory.blogspot.com/

http://www.scoilnet.ie/hist/

http://multitext.ucc.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7 loopylocky

Have to laugh at these posts. I did history for my leaving got an A2, and out of the 12 or so doing honours in my class 5 got As, and i can say each one of us had the exact same essays learned for the exam word for word. History is the most predictable exam in the leaving cert. my teacher told us ''these 4 essay and they will come up'' and all of them did. (luckily for us). But out of the 12 or so case studies we had done in 2years everyone had the same essays, each essay was between 4 1/2 an 6 A4 pages and your grade depended on who could write the most. This thing about learning of an essay and if the question comes up and its a little different is b.s , if you learn off an A1 essay it will have all them little twists in it. And just to say i will give the essays out to anyone who wants them :)I BELIEVE , the best way to do well in history is rote learn an essay and if it comes up write what you can as fast as you can.

loopylocky wrote: »
    Have to laugh at these posts. I did history for my leaving got an A2, and out of the 12 or so doing honours in my class 5 got As, and i can say each one of us had the exact same essays learned for the exam word for word. History is the most predictable exam in the leaving cert. my teacher told us ''these 4 essay and they will come up'' and all of them did. (luckily for us). But out of the 12 or so case studies we had done in 2years everyone had the same essays, each essay was between 4 1/2 an 6 A4 pages and your grade depended on who could write the most. This thing about learning of an essay and if the question comes up and its a little different is b.s , if you learn off an A1 essay it will have all them little twists in it. And just to say i will give the essays out to anyone who wants them :)I BELIEVE , the best way to do well in history is rote learn an essay and if it comes up write what you can as fast as you can.

Finally someone who agrees :D Could you send me some of the essays you still have if you're not too busy? Absolute lifesaver! I'll PM you my email address now :)

Have a brilliant website that condenses a whole chapter onto ONE A4 PAGE :Dhttp://leavingcerthistory.net/revision/revision-handouts/

Well worth having a look at :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

chomps_x wrote: »
    Ok so I know these threads have been done before but I can't seem to find one for this year. I think we should use this thread to exchange work and compare essays and stuff like that. Try to keep it on topic guys! :p

I'm looking for any essays on;

1. British withdrawal from India 1945-7
    2. The secession of Katanga 1960-65
    3. Race relations in France in the 1980s
    4. Lyndon Johnson and Vietnam 1963-8
    5. The Montgomery Bus Boycott 1956
    6. The moon landing, 1969

Modern Ireland
    1. The Treaty negotiations, October-December 1921
    3. The Eucharistic Congress

In return I have;

1. A Powerpoint presentation on British Withdrawal from India 1945-7
    2. Why did the US economy decline from the mid-1960s and how successful were government policies in trying to solve the economic problems
    3. Why did the US experience an economic boom in the 1950s and 1960s?

Modern Ireland
    1. How did divisions over the Treaty lead to civil war in Ireland in 1922?
    2. (PLAN ONLY) To what extent did the 1932 Eucharistic Congress and/or the language and education policies of Irish governments promote Irish cultural identity?
    3. (PLAN ONLY) During the period 1912-1920, what factors contributed to the partition of Ireland?
    4. (PLAN ONLY) How did the Unionist Party in power respond to the challenges posed by the existence of a substantial nationalist minority within Northern Ireland?
    5. What were the main social and economic challenges facing Northern Ireland from 1920 to 1939?

There's not really any point learning Retreat from Empire essays when it's the documents question though, is there?

• Advertisement

Namlub wrote: »
    There's not really any point learning Retreat from Empire essays when it's the documents question though, is there?

Sure you still have to do an essay on them and you still need to know the chapters so of course there's a point of learning it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Considering the entire documents question is worth the same marks as an entire essay, I'd hazard a guess that studying for it is pretty vital? There's 40 marks going for one question on it where you have to have some knowledge of the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

In fairness the document needs about 1/3 of the work of the others. 3x40 mark topics vs about 10x100 mark topics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Considering the entire documents question is worth the same marks as an entire essay, I'd hazard a guess that studying for it is pretty vital? There's 40 marks going for one question on it where you have to have some knowledge of the case.

Eh, I didn't say there's no point studying for the documents question in general, I said there's no point studying essays for it.

Eh, I didn't say there's no point studying for the documents question in general, I said there's no point studying essays for it.

You still have to write an essay which should be around 1 and a half to 2 pages long so I'm pretty sure it's worth studying essays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 reux_

Hey! Well I think that this post is a great idea. Us history students gotta stick together :P From your list I have:

1. British withdrawal from India 1945-7 (short document style)

but I have a lot more essays if you need em'

I'd love:

• Why did the US economy decline from the mid-1960s and how successful were government policies in trying to solve the economic problems
    • Why did the US experience an economic boom in the 1950s and 1960s?
    • How did divisions over the Treaty lead to civil war in Ireland in 1922?
    • What were the main social and economic challenges facing Northern Ireland from 1920 to 1939?
    PM me if you're interested :)
    also @loopylocky - your essays would be fantastic too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

loopylocky wrote: »
    Is there any chance you could send me your essays too? :pac: im having real trouble beefing mine out and I just wanna see where I'm going wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 car2626

@loopylocky I would appreciate your essays also if you would be able to send them to me

• Registered Users Posts: 21 DreamingAgain

Think you'd be better off just writing your own essays in your own personal style!Examiners can tell if its clearly just word for word rewritten !Plus why would people give you their essays anyway!We want our own marks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭patar

Hey I'll send all my essays to whoever wants them... And they can send theirs in return. Just pm me :)

Advertisement