Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE to close lines.

Options
  • 02-01-2012 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭

IE are considering closing lightly used lines according to todays Irish Examiner.
    They have already briefed Minister Varadkar, who agree's that IE have to maximse their potential even if that means closing routes. Among the first to go is believed to be Limerick-Ballybrophy. This line has carried 14000 passangers from Jan 1st to Sept, averaging out at 55 passangers a day. Competition from the newly opened M7 has meant that journey times by road are faster.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

not unexpected.:( Which is next on list?

should be in c&t really i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Full article below. There is the added irony that the rail line passes through Ireland's only Ecovillage at Cloughjordan http://www.thevillage.ie/. :rolleyes:

Limerick%2BBallybrophy.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Full article below. There is the added irony that the rail line passes through Ireland's only Ecovillage at Cloughjordan
    Only 55 out of 130 units either complete or being worked on. Sounds like it's Ireland's only ghost ecovillage.

Sorry, but I'm well skeptical of property developments down the country miles away from any centres of employment, and I don't think this one would provide any meaning amount of patronage to the nearby railway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What's the average daily usage between Athenry and Ennis? (just for comparison)

Is the timetable between Ballybrophy and Limerick any use for potential commuters or is it another example of a timetable drawn up for IE staff convenience rather than one designed to attract and retain an actual customer base (like the trains leaving Rosslare 5 mins before the ferry docked, at their own port)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There was some potential there

The line was badly run for years with Irish rail and the station masters working their nine to five shift to suit themselves. ;)

Leave Nenagh at eleven for Limerick and return at three in the afternoon
    Handy for some shopping or lunch in the city centre but useless for anything else.

Volunteers set up a lobby group, surveys and questionnaires were done and success, the schedule was changed to a commuter service. Would get you to Limerick Colbert which is quite central before nine am.
    The local TD's jumped in at the end to claim credit of course :rolleyes:

But it hasn't worked at all. Tens of thousands leave North Tipp for Limerick every morning, a large proportion of them students in UL or LIT.
    But Bus Éireann and JJ Kavanaghs have that market wrapped up and Castleconnell station has no shuttle bus to UL

It's still a useful service to have there. From Nenagh to Dublin it's still the fastest way to Dublin even with the Ballybrophy change. Beats the bus easily

But locals don't use it, Cloughjordan/little Belfast is a ghost town with hardly any employment and Roscrea and Nenagh have sprawled outwards and away from the train stations

When I'm around, I use JJ Kavanaghs

And the service is doomed to be shut down if the locals won't use it but Irish Rail deserve their share of the blame for failing to adapt for years and years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

roundymac wrote: »
    IE are considering closing lightly used lines according to todays Irish Examiner.
    They have already briefed Minister Varadkar, who agree's that IE have to maximse their potential even if that means closing routes. Among the first to go is believed to be Limerick-Ballybrophy. This line has carried 14000 passangers from Jan 1st to Sept, averaging out at 55 passangers a day. Competition from the newly opened M7 has meant that journey times by road are faster.
    That figure of 14000 means Nothing!

How many passengers got on or off at any of the stations on the route not served by a normal Dublin-Limerick train? I would imagine just as many as the failed western rail corridor! close both lines before they destroy what railways we have left!

foggy - you don't seriously believe that closing two more little used lines is going to make any substantial difference to IE's financial position or the future of the Irish railway system? What will be next - the WRC, Ballina and the Tralee line?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Didn't Alan Kelly just get money to paint the stations? Shades of West Cork indeed! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I can never understand how it costs so much to run these lines that they cant knock a profit out of it. 55 people on average per day is about a coach-load. I dont know how much it costs for a one-way ticket from Limerick to Ballybrophy, but say it was a tenner.

Thats E550 per day, thats E3850 per week! If it was a coach, you could buy a brand new one every year!

HOW can that not be profitable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

newmug wrote: »
    I can never understand how it costs so much to run these lines that they cant knock a profit out of it. 55 people on average per day is about a coach-load. I dont know how much it costs for a one-way ticket from Limerick to Ballybrophy, but say it was a tenner.

Thats E550 per day, thats E3850 per week! If it was a coach, you could buy a brand new one every year!

Add in fuel, wages, insurence, esb/watercharges, servicing equiptment. Profit, what profit?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,135 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Drivers starting salary 38k after 2 years training, add 3 signalmen on similar money and then a guard on 30k, say 200k allowing for employers PRSI, pension etc, thats 3850 per week (coincidence eh?) before you pay for the gatekeepers, fuel, the train and track.

Income side, child/student/free travel pass result in a low yield

Add in fuel, wages, insurence, esb/watercharges, servicing equiptment. Profit, what profit?:confused:

To keep with the coach comparason, even if 99% of what you take in goes on overheads, you'd still have a profit! Aswell as that you'd have the service available to the people, and you'd be providing jobs to keep the show on the road.

How far is it from Lim to BB? How much is a one-way ticket? And would anyone have a breakdown of what IE pays on average to run a service per mile of track?

CIE/IE have wished to close the entire railway down since the 1st McKinsey report back in the 1970s. These latest proposed closures are all part of the 'close the railways by stealth' option. Facts, figures, fares and costs play no part in the operation of either Ballybrophy/Limerick or Limerick/Waterford. Ballybrophy should have been provided with a direct curve facing the Dublin direction when the place was remodelled some years back but look what they did instead. There's no hope for Irish railways with the CIE in charge, and now with the No Trains Authority and a Minister who knows about as much about railways as my big toe, the end is nigh.

To keep with the coach comparason, even if 99% of what you take in goes on overheads, you'd still have a profit! Aswell as that you'd have the service available to the people, and you'd be providing jobs to keep the show on the road.

How far is it from Lim to BB? How much is a one-way ticket? And would anyone have a breakdown of what IE pays on average to run a service per mile of track?
    1% is not a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The gatekeepers are one of the principal problems on both the Limerick/Ballybrophy and Limerick Junction/Waterford lines - there are just so many of them!

lxflyer wrote: »
    The gatekeepers are one of the principal problems on both the Limerick/Ballybrophy and Limerick Junction/Waterford lines - there are just so many of them!

Arguably but I maintain that the main problem is the CIE mindset that sees cutbacks and closures as the answer to losses rather than innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Arguably but I maintain that the main problem is the CIE mindset that sees cutbacks and closures as the answer to losses rather than innovation.

In which case how do you rearrange and innovate this line?

More services?
    Different times of service?
    Cheaper fares?
    Faster services?
    Close or automate level crossings?
    Better connections to other services?

Or something else unlisted here?

Let's hear some decent suggestions of what you reckon an operator would need to do in order to turn the line around :)

The cost of doing a weekend special is astonishing when the gatekeepers overtime is counted up! Whatever about the politics of closing the whole railway by steath the turn of the century operating procedures are the biggest problem which will never be overcome without weeding out these obsolete lines where nobody needs or uses the railway and building new commuter lines which people will use.

There is no place in a modern railway for all the sentimental throwbacks to the good/bad old days of steam, or trying to keep pointless historic lines open. Limerick-Waterford is only open still because it was used for beet and cement for so many years. build a proper railway or shut the lot down!

on the Mallow killarney line they appear to be building an overpass to eliminate an occupation crossing.How much more cost effective that would be if it was a manned crossing!

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    on the Mallow killarney line they appear to be building an overpass to eliminate an occupation crossing.How much more cost effective that would be if it was a manned crossing!

Where possible, they will get rid of accommodation crossings for safety reasons and in some places to increase line speeds.

1% is not a profit.

Eh, I think you'll find that it is! 0% is breaking even, and its what the vast majority of business's in Ireland are doing at the moment, so 1% is nothing to be sneezed at.

Drivers starting salary 38k after 2 years training, add 3 signalmen on similar money and then a guard on 30k, say 200k allowing for employers PRSI, pension etc, thats 3850 per week (coincidence eh?) before you pay for the gatekeepers, fuel, the train and track.

Income side, child/student/free travel pass result in a low yield

:eek::eek::eek: I am astonished by that post! Why is ANYBODY working in CIE on a cent over the minimum wage? Min wgae is E8.65 per hour, we'll say a 40 hour week, thats E346 per week! Anybody should be happy with that in this day and age, its almost DOUBLE the dole! And if min wage was back at 2000 levels, well....:rolleyes:

So lets say E350 per week (18,200 per year) for a driver (irrelevant how long it takes to train, although 2 years is ridiculous), 1 signalman should do and he should be controlling them from a computer somewhere, maybe a guard who should double as the return driver, thats E54,600 in wages per year. Double that for employers PRSI, pension should be up to the individual, child/student/free pass and gatekeepers should be eliminated etc., you're looking at about E110,000. That still leaves you with E90,000 to play with for fuel, expendibles etc. Train and track are capital expenses and should be paid for from the surplus 90,000, and you still should have some left! Thats how a proper business would be ran.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

I dont think there's too many signalmen left ?....aint it all computerised?..

signalcabins closed everywhere .....signalling centralised?

Park Royal wrote: »

There are still signalmen on platforms in many stations including Carlow Newbridge Kildare etc etc, they may be legacy positions regulated and preserved by the unions? or may be just some antiquated regulations insisting on them? either way they could easily be given statutory redundancy and those salaries saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Park Royal wrote: »

On that line there is a signal cabin at Killonan Junction, Birdhill and Roscrea

:eek::eek::eek: I am astonished by that post! Why is ANYBODY working in CIE on a cent over the minimum wage? Min wgae is E8.65 per hour, we'll say a 40 hour week, thats E346 per week! Anybody should be happy with that in this day and age, its almost DOUBLE the dole! And if min wage was back at 2000 levels, well....:rolleyes:

So lets say E350 per week (18,200 per year) for a driver (irrelevant how long it takes to train, although 2 years is ridiculous), 1 signalman should do and he should be controlling them from a computer somewhere, maybe a guard who should double as the return driver, thats E54,600 in wages per year. Double that for employers PRSI, pension should be up to the individual, child/student/free pass and gatekeepers should be eliminated etc., you're looking at about E110,000. That still leaves you with E90,000 to play with for fuel, expendibles etc. Train and track are capital expenses and should be paid for from the surplus 90,000, and you still should have some left! Thats how a proper business would be ran.

Just to add to that, perfectly servicable and usable locos and carraiges should not be scrapped one second before there usefullness is fully expended.

In which case how do you rearrange and innovate this line?

More services?
    Different times of service?
    Cheaper fares?
    Faster services?
    Close or automate level crossings?
    Better connections to other services?

Or something else unlisted here?

Let's hear some decent suggestions of what you reckon an operator would need to do in order to turn the line around :)

Any serious attempt to renovate the line would have to involve building a direct curve at Ballybrophy and closing or moving Ballybrophy station. The line needs to be upgraded to allow decent speeds. Once this is done through trains between Dublin and Limerick could be inaugurated. Serious marketing/special offers and a new timetable to attract traffic from Nenagh (pop.7,000) and Roscrea (pop. 5,000) and Birr!
    Automate crossings where possible and reduce the number of accommodation crossings.

Lease excess railway property or better still encourage courier companies to set-up depots at the existing stations – rent free – providing they use the railway service. All the same, tried and failed solutions have never worked before and if Irish railways are to be saved the problems need to be approached in a radical way.

Don't ask me about costings but if part of CIE/IE's subsidy was diverted into projects like this instead of just being used to shore up their annual losses it would be a better use of the funds. Anyway, it's not going to happen.

Why not use NEWMUGS 1% profit.That will go a long way.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    There are still signalmen on platforms in many stations including Carlow Newbridge Kildare etc etc,

100% unlikely given that three signal boxes closed years ago :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

100% unlikely given that three signal boxes closed years ago :rolleyes:
    Are those staff whose job it is to signal trains off with a signal flag not signalmen?

Advertisement