Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 WWE Hall of fame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

briany wrote: »
    Macho Man (R.I.P.) should be inducted by his brother Lanny if that were possible *cue several close ups of a tearful Stephanie. Zoom out to show a quietly seething Vince *. Additionally, his ex-wife and former valet, the first lady of the WWF R.I.P. Miss Elizabeth should be inducted also *cue several close-ups of a shifty looking Lex Luger.*

I don't blame Martha Hart for not wanting Owen inducted. The way that WWF/E handled the situation in the immediate wake of his death was distasteful in my opinion. They did not stop the PPV after word of his death came through and that was wrong. The Raw is Owen special was ill advised. It was less than 24 hours after the man had died in the most tragic circumstances and there had to be this big live grief-stravaganza. I know that the best of intentions were there but it felt too much like a show. They could have aired a best of Owen compilation and given more collected tributes in the days and weeks that followed when the devastating news sunk in.

Raw is Owen was one of the greatest things Vince ever done. Noone was forced to wrestle and everyone was allowed to share stories about their friend and wrestle in tribute to him. And while I can see why some would have a problem with the PPV going on, it was a very tough call to make and, unfortunately, Vince runs a business and it would have been a bad business move to loose all the revenue from the PPV. It's not the right way for anyone to think when it comes to a human life but that's business unfortunately.

I won't speak my mind on Martha because I have little kind words for her and plenty of vulgar ones, but I will say that isn't acting for Owens memory but herself. She wanted to Oweb to stop wrestling before they can wed and had a chip on her shoulder about the industry long before Owens passing. The Hart family don't get along with her and have publicaly questioned her motives behind her lawsuit against WWE over the Hart legacy DVD.

Owen belongs in the HoF, and I can Vince just doing a Hart Family induction like the Vin Eric's just to get around her for the time being.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Raw is Owen was one of the greatest things Vince ever done.

I really cant recall the points/arguments at the time but I came from what I read that the show was a cynical ratings stunt during the Monday Night Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

rovert wrote: »
    Raw is Owen was one of the greatest things Vince ever done.

I really cant recall the points/arguments at the time but I came from what I read that the show was a cynical ratings stunt during the Monday Night Wars.

There is a strong argument for both sides to be honest. Even if it was a ratings stunt it doesn't take away from how special a night it was. I still remember me and my friends all meeting up to watch it (We were unapologetic Owen marks) and getting emotional durin the whole thing. It was a brilliant tribute and if it was used as a ratings booster it was a tasteful one at least. Same cant be said for the aftermath of the Eddie tribute shows...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭briany

There is a strong argument for both sides to be honest. Even if it was a ratings stunt it doesn't take away from how special a night it was. I still remember me and my friends all meeting up to watch it (We were unapologetic Owen marks) and getting emotional durin the whole thing. It was a brilliant tribute and if it was used as a ratings booster it was a tasteful one at least. Same cant be said for the aftermath of the Eddie tribute shows...

You can't argue that there were generally good intentions motivating Raw is Owen and I doubt that even Vince was thinking "At least some good ratings will come out of this." but Stone Cold coming out at the end cracking open beers, toasting the Titantron with Owen on it and guzzling them down? Rock doing his big point to the sky people's elbow? It felt less like a show making a tribute than a tribute making a good show and you know that if Owen were inducted there would be another round of A. Montage of Owens life and career set to heart rending melodic acoustic rock or uplifting electric rock and B. Sit down interviews with his compatriots, perhaps bordering on tears. When that's over, there's the obligatory fade out to the HoF gathering giving a standing ovation wjth close ups of whoever is crying so I don't blame Martha Hart for not wanting, as she might see it, the WWE getting more emotional mileage out of Owen's death.

Tributes to stars who have passed are absolutely appropriate but a video montage the night after, accompanied by a 3 doors down song does not a tribute make. It feels trite, hurried, cynical and formulaic to the point that I wouldn't be surprised if there was a WWE production exec going, "Roll the death package!". Let the tributes come in the weeks that follow when people have taken it in somewhat and thought of the best ways to remember that particular individual's life.

Fully admit to possibly talking out of my arse here as I am trying remember but I think Martha/Hart family didnt want the Raw to go ahead.

It was felt that Austin's toast to Owen was inappropriate as Owen wasnt a drinker.

Vince really did fear getting slaughtered in the ratings and handing viewers to Nitro if they just repeated last week's show. Some posters here might say "what about airing old matches then" but the issue there was that Owen spent the vast majority of his run as a heel and the commentary was always on his case for being this conniving heel so they couldnt air old matches as it wouldn't be appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Edge & The Horsemen

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Edge stated during an interview with Aftermath on The Score Monday night that if the choice is his, Christian will induct him into the WWE Hall of Fame.

WWE announced during the first hour of Monday’s RAW SuperShow that Edge would be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame the night after WrestleMania XXVIII.

As noted earlier, The Four Horsemen as a group will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame this year. JJ Dillon will be inducted with Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard and Barry Windham. It will be interesting to see how the Flair situation is handled as he is currently signed to a TNA deal.

Christian and Shawn Michaels went on Twitter to congratulate Edge for his induction into the WWE Hall of Fame, which will take place the night before WrestleMania XXVIII.

“A gigantic, enormous congratulations to Edge on his Hall of Fame induction. Unbelievably well deserved & I could not be happier for him!!!” wrote Michaels, a fellow WWE Hall of Famer.

Christian added, “Edge… Hall Of Fame… No one deserves it more #YouThinkYouKnowMe.”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,965 ✭✭✭cena

Is edge not young to be in the hall of fame. Not saying he shouldn't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Edge is in the HoF before Rock, Undertaker, Macho Man and a crap load of others. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Don't see the problem.

Rock, Taker and many others are active hall of famers just without the place/official title yet. They can still wrestle. Edge can't. Edge is also retired. Unlike other wrestlers who have just left and are just considered for a place, Edge is officially gone. He doesn't have any years left in him to wrestle so they're giving him the place. Inducting him now also lets WWE give him another pat on the back as the youngest inductee.

They've been saying he's a future fall of famer for years, and now the time has come where he can no longer wrestle, and people are crying "Too soon!"? I just don't get it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Edge seems a young enough choice, but's he had a career which deserves to see him inducted. Personally, I would rather he goes in now when he's remembered than wait twenty years and have to go in in front of people who don't know who he is.

I've been all for younger guys like Rock or Taker going in previous years, so am happy for Edge.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea would have thought they would have kept Edge till next year (if they were going to have WM in Canada)

Chuffed for Edge. A very deserving Hall Of Fame inductee and don't forget the WWE treat the HOF as a big part of the show so they need a big headliner.

The 4 Horsemen!! Probably the greatest stable of all time. I'd like to point out I called it a few posts back...:D

Diamonds are forever and so are the four horsemen.

Be interesting to see if Flair takes part considering he's under contract to TNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Mill Mascaras is going in too right? I wonder will Del Rio do the induction, maybe along with his Dad, Dos Caras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 The Baptist

Apparently Savage made a pact not to accept a HOF induction unless his brother and dad were part of the ceremony as a whole family.

Seems a bit strange, considering they are hardly worthy.

Rumour that Yokozuna is the next inductee.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

WWE COO Triple H also announced via WWE's official website that Mexican legend Mil Mascaras will also be inducted into the Hall of Fame's 2012 class in Miami in April.

http://www1.skysports.com/other-sports/news/14203/7421787/Kane-s-hate-shows-no-bounds

He's Alberto Del Rio's father.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

WWE COO Triple H also announced via WWE's official website that Mexican legend Mil Mascaras will also be inducted into the Hall of Fame's 2012 class in Miami in April.

That was announced back in October, when WWE tapped SmackDown from Mexico

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Edge seems a young enough choice, but's he had a career which deserves to see him inducted. Personally, I would rather he goes in now when he's remembered than wait twenty years and have to go in in front of people who don't know who he is.

I've been all for younger guys like Rock or Taker going in previous years, so am happy for Edge.
    Is that not the big problem with the HoF? Half of the people in it dont deserve to be there? If Edge isnt remembered in 20 years time, he obviously didnt do enough. Undertaker, Rock, Austin, Triple H etc will all be remembered. Will Edge? Probably not, so why is he getting a sympathy induction before people who have actually done something to earn a place in it?

It's already a joke of a HoF, why continue to make it a joke by inducting random guys who were popular for a few years ahead of people who have done much, much more for the business?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Is that not the big problem with the HoF? Half of the people in it dont deserve to be there? If Edge isnt remembered in 20 years time, he obviously didnt do enough.

How many people today would have an honest idea of who Harley Race was? Or even somebody like Terry Funk? Just that time might forget somebody doesn't remove their Hall of Fame credentials. More people from this era than you'd expect will be forgotten by the vast, vast majority in twenty years time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

No point getting worked up over who gets into the WWE HOF tbh. There are no selection criterie except convenience really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

http://www1.skysports.com/other-sports/news/14203/7421787/Kane-s-hate-shows-no-bounds

Uncle I thought.

Apparently Savage made a pact not to accept a HOF induction unless his brother and dad were part of the ceremony as a whole family.

Seems a bit strange, considering they are hardly worthy.

By himself, Angelo has achieved as much as, if not more, than a number of past HoF inductees. I don't think he wrestled in the WWF but he's still Macho Man's father and he's still Lanny's (The Genius) father both of whom are well remembered WWF/E alumni, Macho in particular of course but Lanny was great too. Fair play to Macho Man wanting for his kin to go into the Hall of Fame and get the respect they deserve.
    It's already a joke of a HoF, why continue to make it a joke by inducting random guys who were popular for a few years ahead of people who have done much, much more for the business?

It's not as if the WWE HoF is the most credible HoF fame going anyway as it's mostly for people who have given service to the WWE and then there's the politics of it. Letting people like Pete Rose and Drew Carey in (I don't care if it's the celebrity wing) doesn't do anything to change that.

Off the top of my head, they should induct :

Paul Heyman
    Paul Bearer
    Ravishing Rick Rude (posthumous)
    Jake Roberts
    Ken Shamrock
    Cyndi Lauper

Doubt we'd ever see "Double J" Jeff Jarrett ever be inducted but if he does, I want it done by Tennessee Lee ("Ain't he greaaat?!!") along with a tearful Road Dogg being shown in attendence.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Undertaker will be inducted in 2013/2014 and id say Paul Bearer would induct him. Likewise Undertaker or Kane would induct Paul Bearer.

I would like to See Randy Savage,Bill Goldberg,Sting, Kurt Angle, Mick Foley inducted either this year or future years.

With the stables now being inducted what would be the likely hood of DX, The Hardy Boyz, The Dudleys, NWO, Hart Foundation (Most Likely to be inducted at some point) being inducted.

Will Chris Benoit be inducted because he was a member of The Four Horsemen ???

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Undertaker will be inducted in 2013/2014 and id say Paul Bearer would induct him. Likewise Undertaker or Kane would induct Paul Bearer.

I would like to See Randy Savage,Bill Goldberg,Sting, Kurt Angle, Mick Foley inducted either this year or future years.

With the stables now being inducted what would be the likely hood of DX, The Hardy Boyz, The Dudleys, NWO, Hart Foundation (Most Likely to be inducted at some point) being inducted.

Wish there was a Hall of Fame trophy, then Paul Bearer could deliver it to the Undertaker in the classic pose.

takerbearer_display_image.jpg?1285876722

It wouldn't be a bad idea to induct the NWO because they were they catalyst for wrestling's biggest boom but, technically speaking, if they were to induct the NWO they would have to include everyone who's ever been in it so you'd have Horace Hogan, Stevie Ray, Konnan and, uh, Nick Patrick in there by association.

Benoit's double murder - suicide pretty nixes any chance of ever going in any capacity. He had a great career that was ultimately overshadowed by a sad, tragic weekend that we'll probably never know the entire story of but we know the horrible outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Anyone think they would induct the British Bull Dogs this year?

Dos Caras is Alberto's father which is Mil Mascaras brother so he's Del Rio's uncle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

PTH2009 wrote: »
    U

Benoit will never be inducted; they've wrote him out of WWE history for the most part, and they'd never risk the backlash from glorifying a murderer.

ciano316 wrote: »
    Rumour that Yokozuna is the next inductee.

Mike Johnson confirmed it today

• Advertisement

If groups are inducted it only includes the people the WWE mentions... So no Benoit, Sid, Mongo, Sting etc. inclusion in the Horsemen and if the NWO were ever inducted as a group it would only be Nash, Hall & Hogan.

Yokozuna is a deserving inductee, he was one of the best big men.

Carlos Colon is my next guess after Yoko.

Advertisement