Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ten Week Roster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

MagicSean wrote: »
    the way I figure it, there are about 16000 gardaí and civilians inthe job. Each one gets a payslip once a week in the post. 16000 x 52 weeks x 55c postage equals 457k a annually on pointless payslip posting alone. Throw in the cost of printing and envelopes and you probably hit a million. About 1.5% of the budget cut for this year. That's only the tip of the iceberg in terms of waste. Court lists are another big waste of paper. I'd love to see a court presenter with an ipad containing all relevant info. Think of the paper saved if you could submit a digital copy of a file for court.

In my place of work, we have the option of getting it online (not e-mailed). I get mine a day earlier than most staff so any issues that arise are quickly sorted before I get my pay. Plus, I don't have slips lying all over the place, they are all stored online. Saves me the hassle of collecting it and them the money of transporting and printing it.

The waste of paper in my job is really unbelievable until you witness it. Reports print off that never get used, 5 Pages printing off for one label to be used, the list is endless. Don't get me started on the waste of electricity, computers left on endlessly same with certain lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

msg11 wrote: »
    In my place of work, we have the option of getting it online (not e-mailed). I get mine a day earlier than most staff so any issues that arise are quickly sorted before I get my pay. Plus, I don't have slips lying all over the place, they are all stored online. Saves me the hassle of collecting it and them the money of transporting and printing it.

The waste of paper in my job is really unbelievable until you witness it. Reports print off that never get used, 5 Pages printing off for one label to be used, the list is endless. Don't get me started on the waste of electricity, computers left on endlessly same with certain lights.
    No envelopes?
    What would we use to record DLIP's then?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

deadwood wrote: »

freudian slip ??

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

the way I figure it, there are about 16000 gardaí and civilians inthe job. Each one gets a payslip once a week in the post. 16000 x 52 weeks x 55c postage equals 457k a annually on pointless payslip posting alone. Throw in the cost of printing and envelopes and you probably hit a million. About 1.5% of the budget cut for this year. That's only the tip of the iceberg in terms of waste. Court lists are another big waste of paper. I'd love to see a court presenter with an ipad containing all relevant info. Think of the paper saved if you could submit a digital copy of a file for court.
    Postage cost's nothing payslips dont go to homes as its all done thru internal mail, so a saving of 457k a year. Unfortunately court stuff has to be done on hard copy and digital for some court cases, and usually done x 3/4

What would we use to record DLIP's then?:confused:
    you dont need paper to record dlip, the pc does that, after you input the details.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

bluetop wrote: »
    Postage cost's nothing payslips dont go to homes as its all done thru internal mail, so a saving of 457k a year. Unfortunately court stuff has to be done on hard copy and digital for some court cases, and usually done x 3/4

Payslips arive in the station by means of the postman. I doubt An Post do this or free I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

msg11 wrote: »
    Unions are a joke in any job to be honest, going by my experience. I was told, I should get time off, which I accepted. Only to find out from another union rep, this was not the case and I should have been paid.

Dunno, I suppose I am more happy with a week off with them paying for it :) ..

As for paper wastage, another one of life's mystery's. Why someone prints off 50 pages only to keep 1 sheet and throwing the rest in the bin. Or just throwing all 50 pages in the bin, absolute waste of paper.

And the title of this thread is.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

pa990 wrote: »
    And the title of this thread is.............

It's at the top of the page there

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    freudian slip ??
    No.

...and look up freudian slip.

I think i'm getting to old for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

I dont get the ape thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Forgive me if I'm wrong but payslips arrive in the An Post blue pouches, they aren't all 55c stamps, there is a set charge, dunno how much, for the pouch and all the days' post goes in it... Doubt they spend that much on the payslips tbh...

I do think 90% of what's done on paper now should be done electronically, instant and free!! And it can still be tracked and delivery/opening can be recorded...

Not great for those of us who like to keep the shredder beside our post locker tho ;)

I don't see iPads taking hold, court lists will stay as they are, but do agree digital copies of files should suffice for Garda and DPP use, with a single printed file for court...

We're drifting off topic again aren't we...

pah wrote: »
    Nothing to get. Just messing around.
    (I was going to say it's a quote from Planet of the Apps.)

Anyhoooo, back on topic.

I don't really agree that gardai should be discussing proposed changes to their own work practices. I know the roster proposals are not state secrets and are in the public domain, but concerned parties should be speaking to their reps (or getting involved - it's easy to get on a local committee). Sign on to the gra twitter account too. Your opinions might get some sort of hearing there.

The ESF site contains worthwhile discussion too.

Nothing to get. Just messing around.
    (I was going to say it's a quote from Planet of the Apps.)

Anyhoooo, back on topic.

I don't really agree that gardai should be discussing proposed changes to their own work practices. I know the roster proposals are not state secrets and are in the public domain, but concerned parties should be speaking to their reps (or getting involved - it's easy to get on a local committee). Sign on to the gra twitter account too. Your opinions might get some sort of hearing there.

The ESF site contains worthwhile discussion too.

ESF is a bit of a joke in fairness and no more "secure" than boards...
    I disagree that it's easy to engage and get involved with the GRA most reps have it cushty and keep it that way

d3exile wrote: »
    I disagree that it's easy to engage and get involved with the GRA most reps have it cushty and keep it that way
    Like I said. Get involved. Get yourself on the local rep body at the next AGM, or just speak up.
    We can all shout from the ditches.

As for esf, you'll find the discussion there is by people who are working in the system, not school kids or wannabe's. I never mentioned the security aspect. Nothing on the net is secure to those who have an interest and you'd be naiive to think it was. It's something I always caution other users about.

Like I said. Get involved. Get yourself on the local rep body at the next AGM, or just speak up.
    We can all shout from the ditches.

As for esf, you'll find the discussion there is by people who are working in the system, not school kids or wannabe's. I never mentioned the security aspect. Nothing on the net is secure to those who have an interest and you'd be naiive to think it was. It's something I always caution other users about.

Like I said its not easy to get involved, becoming a local GRA member is one thing but stirring the current ones into doing something proactive is another... Plus it's the CEC members that make decisions and most wouldn't get off their ass if a train was coming...

Plenty of members working the system here on boards too with a mix of public imput, so you're not living in a bubble of the same attitudes and opinions the whole time, I mentioned the security issue cos it's the only thing ESF tries to use to differ itself from boards.

I spend enough time in cars and stations talking between members, sometimes it's no harm to hear from the public opinion or for other people to see what we're dealing with and our attitudes to it, rather than reading articles in the sindo where guards get 6 months off a year and drive to work in gold plated cars, They can come on here and see what our attitudes and opinions really are, instead of us talking behind a blue wall

Like I said its not easy to get involved, becoming a local GRA member is one thing but stirring the current ones into doing something proactive is another... Plus it's the CEC members that make decisions and most wouldn't get off their ass if a train was coming...

Plenty of members working the system here on boards too with a mix of public imput, so you're not living in a bubble of the same attitudes and opinions the whole time, I mentioned the security issue cos it's the only thing ESF tries to use to differ itself from boards.

I spend enough time in cars and stations talking between members, sometimes it's no harm to hear from the public opinion or for other people to see what we're dealing with and our attitudes to it, rather than reading articles in the sindo where guards get 6 months off a year and drive to work in gold plated cars, They can come on here and see what our attitudes and opinions really are, instead of us talking behind a blue wall

All very admirable. I love the public, don't get me wrong. They pay my wages after all.

I include myself in this when I say we all bitch and moan about the GRA but in the same way we complain about politicians, we sit aside and let those in power stay in power. Change starts at the bottom.

Since this thread is about rosters, i'll leave it at that.

Maybe some members of the public have some suggestions.

mbeire wrote: »
    I'd prefer if the GRA didnt waste money on sending out leters to people, as
    1. It takes too long, and
    2. Emails or twitter is free and instant.

In my place, the Regional and Divisional GRA Rep has our emails and we get nearly daily updates on the rosters and in other areas. We can also reply and send our views and feedback to them and they will reply to you and explain their answer. It is a great service they have recently started, compared to previous years.

I might give you my email address then. I've had one email since the discussions started.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

Eru wrote: »
    Jeez, is it that hard to use a calculator? 34 days X 8 hours = 272 hours per annum.

27 x 10 hours = 270 hours.

Your getting screwed out of 2 hours which I had no doubt would happen, your annual leave was never going to increase.

does this mean that we cant complain about it for the sake of it?
    27 days wont be long slipping away

what is the expected final date of discussions ??

it seems to drag on and on and on

from gra website
    Discussions resume Fri. 10th Febr to finalise the Roster, Working Time Agreement & Start Date. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed on any Pilot Roster

and tonight i expect it to say
    :
    Discussions resume Tue. 14th Febr to finalise the Roster, Working Time Agreement & Start Date. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed on any Pilot Roster

and on Tuesday i expect it to say:

Discussions resume Thur. 16th Febr to finalise the Roster, Working Time Agreement & Start Date. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed on any Pilot Roster

etc

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

GRA have said its 34 days leave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭pah

Great...:rolleyes:

Tomorrows sindo -

Gardaí work less days and keep 7 weeks holidays, they now only work 5 months of the year...

Great...:rolleyes:

Tomorrows sindo -

Gardaí work less days and keep 7 weeks holidays, they now only work 5 months of the year...

sounds good to me :D

pa990 wrote: »
    what is the expected final date of discussions ??

it seems to drag on and on and on

from gra website
    Discussions resume Fri. 10th Febr to finalise the Roster, Working Time Agreement & Start Date. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed on any Pilot Roster

and tonight i expect it to say
    :
    Discussions resume Tue. 14th Febr to finalise the Roster, Working Time Agreement & Start Date. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed on any Pilot Roster

and on Tuesday i expect it to say:

Discussions resume Thur. 16th Febr to finalise the Roster, Working Time Agreement & Start Date. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed on any Pilot Roster

etc
    Sure that's the GRA for ya, they like to make their members think they are getting something or doing something for their money, so they go on and on, looks good i suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

rondeco wrote: »
    GRA have said its 34 days leave

Is there a source to confirm this? And even then; is it 34 x 8 hours or 34 x 10 hours ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ha 7 weeks leave poor you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

no more changeovers... #winning!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 esf2012

I mentioned the security issue cos it's the only thing ESF tries to use to differ itself from boards.

Well, at least we know your not working in the IT section if your even a serving mule.

I wont get into the whole were a joke thing or comparing esf to boards now but you need to read up on internet security my friend because comparing reading this thread to the ESF one is like comparing a shops cash register to a bank vault.

Anyone with an internet connection can read this but yet you, a supposed Garda cant read the secure thread on esf and thats just the forum softwares basic security settings at play. ESF also uses SSL / HTTPS security which is the same as most banks and financial institutes use for their online processing. I think that qualifies as just a tad more secure.

Heres some reading about that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Secure

(I do agree with Deadwood though, no serving mule should give too much away on any site)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Is there a source to confirm this? And even then; is it 34 x 8 hours or 34 x 10 hours ?

gra tweeted it on thursday

esf2012 wrote: »
    Anyone with an internet connection can read this but yet you, a supposed Garda cant read the secure thread on esf and thats just the forum softwares basic security settings at play. ESF also uses SSL / HTTPS security which is the same as most banks and financial institutes use for their online processing. I think that qualifies as just a tad more secure. away on any site)
    No matter what security is in place, if someone wants to really get in they will, there is always holes or exploits that can be used.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 esf2012

bluetop wrote: »
    No matter what security is in place, if someone wants to really get in they will

Naturally, but that doesn't change the fact that ESF has made it a hell of a lot harder for them. If someone wants to break into your house they will, doesn't mean you leave the door open. :)

As for exile, just a word to the wise, it took less than a minute for me to find out who you are so for your own sake, stop posting about work on open forums.

Advertisement