Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ten Week Roster

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I wouldn't necessarily hold a grudge against the GRA for publishing this - such information would be easily obtainable from the Department of Justice to begin with.
    True but I would gather that the members would prefer it not to be and if the GRA represents them then that's what they should be doing.

But hey that's just my stance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

I would not say that I am a defender of AGS but this story in the Sindo infuriates me. More public sector bashing and blatantly untrue. Surely the GRA, AGSI, etc should be chasing this ridiculous sensationalist statement

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-will-have-almost-half-year-off-under-deal-2982586.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

dfbemt wrote: »
    I would not say that I am a defender of AGS but this story in the Sindo infuriates me. More public sector bashing and blatantly untrue. Surely the GRA, AGSI, etc should be chasing this ridiculous sensationalist statement

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/gardai-will-have-almost-half-year-off-under-deal-2982586.html

Yeah , even for the Sindo that is a pretty unbalanced article , I think the GRA are reluctant to get into debates with the media - they seem to keep a relatively low profile in that regard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Its inaccurate in other ways as well
    For one thing it is not more than 50 years since the current roster system was introduced because my father was involved in the negotiations on the current system on behalf of the GRA at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

dfbemt wrote: »

Its an absolute disgrace of an article, counting standard rest days that all are entitled as "annual leave" is very misleading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Well, in all fairness, it is The Indo/Sindo...

Remember Tania Corcoran?

Haven't bought either rag since & roundly abuse anyone in the job that does :cool: :p

Wouldn't wipe me arse with either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭pah

Bosh wrote: »
    Well, in all fairness, it is The Indo/Sindo...

Remember Tania Corcoran?

Another Jim Cusack special :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭0325422

MagicSean wrote: »
    NBar wrote: »
    This roster looks crap, if a person has a small family or wants family time its gone as when you are working you will hardly see them. Alot of young people who have no families etc might love it now but down the line you will hate it. As for 42 extra rest days a year you will have less annual leave and this will be taken in hours off and not as the present system. Think again before you jump, we have sold ourselves short before don't do it again.

The extra rest days are as a result of the longer shifts we will be working. The leave has not been agreed upon yet.

27 rest days has been agreed.. Despite workers in ireland being entitled to 20 rest days per year and their being 10 bank holidays per year which makes 30.. GRA selling us short again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Geansai

0325422 wrote: »
    27 rest days has been agreed.. Despite workers in ireland being entitled to 20 rest days per year and their being 10 bank holidays per year which makes 30.. GRA selling us short again ?

There are only 9 public holidays in Ireland in a year. Good Friday is a bank holiday, not a public holiday. It is not a legal entitlement to get it off (or payment or day in lieu)

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

Also, may be I'm confused, but are rest days different to annual leave, of which you would be entitled to a min 20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It works on hours doesn't it? So I'd expect 27 10-hour leave days to equal 34 8-hour leave days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Unfortunately, it is the policy of the indo to ignore such facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

27 x 8 Hours.....i very much doubt that, it's going to be converted to hours afaik 34 x 8 plus jim cusacks special 104 extra garda days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I'm glad that the GRA did something about that article though I have little doubt the ' Sindo ' will do something similar again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

Jeez, is it that hard to use a calculator? 34 days X 8 hours = 272 hours per annum.

27 x 10 hours = 270 hours.

Your getting screwed out of 2 hours which I had no doubt would happen, your annual leave was never going to increase.

Eru wrote: »
    Jeez, is it that hard to use a calculator? 34 days X 8 hours = 272 hours per annum.

27 x 10 hours = 270 hours.

Your getting screwed out of 2 hours which I had no doubt would happen, your annual leave was never going to increase.

You are not getting screwed out of any hours, all sunday tours are a maximum of 8 hours, so a half tour can be 4 or 5 hours and a full tour can be 8 or 10 hours, to a maximum of 272 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Rumor mill suggests that there will be an announcement this week, possibly Monday.
    And that the 10week/10hr roster will be in come April.

Possibilities that it my be trialled in the southern region first and that AL will remain at 34days.

This week will tell a lot.. Lets see how many rumors are correct

pa990 wrote: »
    Rumor mill suggests that there will be an announcement this week, possibly Monday.
    And that the 10week/10hr roster will be in come April.

Possibilities that it my be trialled in the southern region first and that AL will remain at 34days.

This week will tell a lot.. Lets see how many rumors are correct

Whatever happens I'm sure the GRA will be the last ones to tell us anything.

foreign wrote: »
    Whatever happens I'm sure the GRA will be the last ones to tell us anything.

Their twitter is pretty good

• Advertisement

Their twitter is pretty good

I only found out they had one the other day from another member. But how many people in the job actually use twitter or even know what it is? This is one of the biggest changes to the job in years. They should be telling us on paper whenever anything significant happens with this roster. Not letting stuff come out in dribs and drabs through rumours.

I only found out they had one the other day from another member. But how many people in the job actually use twitter or even know what it is? This is one of the biggest changes to the job in years. They should be telling us on paper whenever anything significant happens with this roster. Not letting stuff come out in dribs and drabs through rumours.

Paper is expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Paper is expensive

Try telling local management that... Every time I have a few days off I come back to about 80sheets of paper in my locker... And my email inbox more or less empty...

they'll have to spread the word before 1st march to give the prerequisite months notice, so no doubt the next couple weeks will be all of the rumours before the announcements... I personally prefer the 2,2,2,4 roster, even with a young family... 4 rest days isn't to be sniffed at and delighted to see the back of the changeover... I've no problem going in for longer hours to get more time off together to spend with my family and forget about the job...

The gra website is updated to 31/1 with the roster proposals that have been agreed so far, saying negotiations will continue up to fri 3rd. What more do you want ?

Paper is expensive

€4.12 per week from every member. I think they can afford some paper.
    The gra website is updated to 31/1 with the roster proposals that have been agreed so far, saying negotiations will continue up to fri 3rd. What more do you want ?

Well, it would have been nice to have been kept informed of the negotiations as they went on. It would have been nice if the GRA sought feedback from it's members about what roster they wanted. It would be nice if we could have voted on ALL of the proposals, personally I prefer the 2 early 2 late 2 night roster. I'm sure the GRA executive will find the new roster easy to get used to as they won't be working it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mbeire

€4.12 per week from every member. I think they can afford some paper.

Well, it would have been nice to have been kept informed of the negotiations as they went on. It would have been nice if the GRA sought feedback from it's members about what roster they wanted. It would be nice if we could have voted on ALL of the proposals, personally I prefer the 2 early 2 late 2 night roster. I'm sure the GRA executive will find the new roster easy to get used to as they won't be working it.

I'd prefer if the GRA didnt waste money on sending out leters to people, as
    1. It takes too long, and
    2. Emails or twitter is free and instant.

In my place, the Regional and Divisional GRA Rep has our emails and we get nearly daily updates on the rosters and in other areas. We can also reply and send our views and feedback to them and they will reply to you and explain their answer. It is a great service they have recently started, compared to previous years.

I also check the GRA twitter page. This is the only reason I use twitter. We have also had meetings with the GRA president about the rosters and I am confident that they have our genuine interest in making this roster work.

The GRA arent always the best but i'd rather have them there than not. They are all we have to look out for our interests wheather you argee or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

mbeire wrote: »
    In my place, the Regional and Divisional GRA Rep has our emails and we get nearly daily updates on the rosters and in other areas. We can also reply and send our views and feedback to them and they will reply to you and explain their answer. It is a great service they have recently started, compared to previous years.

The GRA arent always the best but i'd rather have them there than not. They are all we have to look out for our interests wheather you argee or not.

What a joke you are paying them every week, so they should keep you updated on what is happening and going on, its no different from any union, that is what they are there for, but dont think they always have your best interest at hand, no union have this, they always do what is easiest for them and what they can get away with or you tolarate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

bluetop wrote: »
    What a joke you are paying them every week, so they should keep you updated on what is happening and going on, its no different from any union, that is what they are there for, but dont think they always have your best interest at hand, no union have this, they always do what is easiest for them and what they can get away with or you tolarate.

Unions are a joke in any job to be honest, going by my experience. I was told, I should get time off, which I accepted. Only to find out from another union rep, this was not the case and I should have been paid.

Dunno, I suppose I am more happy with a week off with them paying for it :) ..

As for paper wastage, another one of life's mystery's. Why someone prints off 50 pages only to keep 1 sheet and throwing the rest in the bin. Or just throwing all 50 pages in the bin, absolute waste of paper.

msg11 wrote: »
    Unions are a joke in any job to be honest, going by my experience. I was told, I should get time off, which I accepted. Only to find out from another union rep, this was not the case and I should have been paid.

Dunno, I suppose I am more happy with a week off with them paying for it :) ..

As for paper wastage, another one of life's mystery's. Why someone prints off 50 pages only to keep 1 sheet and throwing the rest in the bin. Or just throwing all 50 pages in the bin, absolute waste of paper.

the way I figure it, there are about 16000 gardaí and civilians inthe job. Each one gets a payslip once a week in the post. 16000 x 52 weeks x 55c postage equals 457k a annually on pointless payslip posting alone. Throw in the cost of printing and envelopes and you probably hit a million. About 1.5% of the budget cut for this year. That's only the tip of the iceberg in terms of waste. Court lists are another big waste of paper. I'd love to see a court presenter with an ipad containing all relevant info. Think of the paper saved if you could submit a digital copy of a file for court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

I'd love to see a court presenter with an ipad containing all relevant info. Think of the paper saved if you could submit a digital copy of a file for court.

There's an ape for that.

Advertisement