Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stopped with no tax only bought the van

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

Things could of been worse and I could of got a fine but thank god I didn't. I just don't need the hassle of going to a station now (closest one to me is 15 mile away) to show all the forms when I've a million and one things to do already but thats life isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

kearney13 wrote: »
    I don't know where I heard now tbh but I thought ya were aloud 6 weeks then just back tax it.
    No you're not allowed 6 weeks grace. A lot of guards will let you off unless you're taking the mickey.
    A traffic warden will fine you 60 if you park it on the street with no tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

biko wrote: »

Are you serious :eek: didn't know that god bless half the people in my town if we ever get a traffic warden :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Yes
    or
    you get the car's details and go down to the tax office, complete form RF100a, pay the fee and walk out with a new tax disc.
    or
    ask the seller to tax it before you buy, even give him the cash if you have to.

You can't tax it until it's in your name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

You buy a car with no tax. What do you do? Trailer it home, park it in your driveway and wait 2-3weeks for the logbook to arrive?

The system is flawed, it's not our fault.

That's where "garda Discretion" comes in. If you are telling the truth and the garda belives you, you have no problem.

Log book arrives very quickly these days, so about 2 weeks - 3 weeks would be more than enough time and my guess is the gardai would know this too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I bought a van there 3 weeks ago with no tax but doe'd and the whole lot. Tonight I came across a checkpoint, I thought everything would be grand with no tax as I only bought the van and only have the look book since last friday so to be fair it would be impossible to get to the tax office with christmas and everything. I was gonna tax it this tuesday anyway but have to go in and show within the next 10 days no problem with that but I thought ya had 6 weeks to tax a vechile after change of ownership:confused:

Its not that I'm giving out but being stopped I was just wondering is the 6 week thing true or not?
    166man wrote: »
    Or you could just tax it now and not have to worry about meeting more Guards or back taxing it?
    See the bit in bold above?
    biko wrote: »
    Are you serious :eek: didn't know that god bless half the people in my town if we ever get a traffic warden :o
    Any Gardaí in your town? They can give you a ticket too......

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

gbee wrote: »
    I found I had to get the cert from the tax office, thus effectively ruling out online tax for commercials.

Eh you submit the rf111a to tax office, and need cert of roadworthiness, which means sending the pass cert from the DOE to tax office anyway, so why not just post in the tax at the same time. (both will be done at t he same time anyway)
    Seems a lot of running around to tax online

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

maxer68 wrote: »
    That's where "garda Discretion" comes in. If you are telling the truth and the garda belives you, you have no problem.

Log book arrives very quickly these days, so about 2 weeks - 3 weeks would be more than enough time and my guess is the gardai would know this too.

No, "Garda discretion" doesn't come into play here, why should one person get away with it and another person not?

If they've just bought the car, and there's no tax on it, according to other boardsies it cannot be driven on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

No, "Garda discretion" doesn't come into play here, why should one person get away with it and another person not?

If they've just bought the car, and there's no tax on it, according to other boardsies it cannot be driven on the road.

Its nothing to do with boardsies, a car, legally, must be taxed if its in a public place, thats if its driving or parked. But most garda are human, so if they feel you have a valid reason for not having tax on your car, then, at their discretion, they can let you away.

Its nothing to do with boardsies, a car, legally, must be taxed if its in a public place, thats if its driving or parked. But most garda are human, so if they feel you have a valid reason for not having tax on your car, then, at their discretion, they can let you away.

But does that not show how flawed our system is? The girl with the big tits and the new mini gets away but the fella in the dirty auld van gets stung?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Write to your TD/Minister etc about the "flawed system".

There is nothing wrong with it but people choose to break the law. There is no excuse for that. Ignorance is no defence.

Write to your TD/Minister etc about the "flawed system".

There is nothing wrong with it but people choose to break the law. There is no excuse for that. Ignorance is no defence.

Ok.

You buy a car privately 100 miles away from home and there's no tax on it. What do you do?

Edit: On a Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

As mentioned many time already, it's up to the individual Garda.

I was stopped with a new purchase at a routine check point. Away I go happy out only to get a summons to Dungarvan Court.

The judge looks over the documents, asks the Garda if I told him the vehicle was a recent purchase and he throws out the case without I even speaking.

gbee wrote: »
    As mentioned many time already, it's up to the individual Garda.

I was stopped with a new purchase at a routine check point. Away I go happy out only to get a summons to Dungarvan Court.

The judge looks over the documents, asks the Garda if I told him the vehicle was a recent purchase and he throws out the case without I even speaking.

But that's bollox, you have to go to court and waste your time.

All I'm saying is the system is flawed, and more than likely if this pox of a country tried to rectify it they'd make an absolute balls of it anyway.

Ok.

You buy a car privately 100 miles away from home and there's no tax on it. What do you do?

The car stays put until all documents are correct.

If you choose to take it away you deserve everything you get.

But that's bollox, you have to go to court and waste your time.

All I'm saying is the system is flawed, and more than likely if this pox of a country tried to rectify it they'd make an absolute balls of it anyway.

Yes the system is flawed, but you know its flawed so you have no excuse. However the garda know its flawed, hence why in most cases, if you have a reasonable reason why its not taxed then they won't take any action.

You could apply the same logic to speed limits, I think many speed limits are flawed, but if I get caught breaking them, its not the systems fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

i bought my car up the north...i got an appointment with the NCT people to import it about 2 weeks after I officially bought the car. then after i had imported it i drove to my tax office only to be told that my car didn't exist. you can imagine if i got stopped trying to explain that to a cop...turns out the revenue had updated their systems at HQ but not in the tax offices so louth tax office told me that my car didn't exist. took another 3 days to get sorted.
    i think any cop that stops you and you have documents with you to show date of purchase will allow you time to sort yourself out. 10 days being enough definitely to get your tax sorted. tis annoying though if you're starting a new job and have stuff to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

They should sort out the system so that when you buy a car and have no tax when the paperwork is being processed your not breaking the law, I got stopped with no tax after I had just bought the car. I had a photocopy of the logbook and tax form filled in and the Garda waved me on. Thankfully he had common sense. He could of taken the car and crushed it as it was 15 months out. Im just grateful he was a sound lad with a brain and not some gobsh*te on a power trip. Thankfully I haven't met any gobsh*tes in the gards yet. But it needs to be sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

which is why they should just tax the fuel and be done with road tax

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

A simple solution would be to allow anyone to tax a car , once they can turn up at the tax office with the car.

• Advertisement

The car stays put until all documents are correct.

If you choose to take it away you deserve everything you get.

Dear god that is such rubbish. That just does not work in any situation.

You drive you break the law. Take the fine like a man and stop making excuses for being a criminal.

You drive you break the law. Take the fine like a man and stop making excuses for being a criminal.

I think thats taking it way to far.

I'd say anyone who has ever bought a new or second hand car has driven without tax for a couple of days at least, I know I have. Motor tax offences do not give you a criminal record:rolleyes:

The point, I think, is not to drive without tax while being under the impression that you have any legal basis for doing so, because you don't....ever but as has been repeated several times, there is common sense used by both the garda(mostly) and drivers.

facepalm.jpg

Motor tax offences do not give you a criminal record.
    They are criminal offences. If you get convicted in the courts you have a record.

They are criminal offences. If you get convicted in the courts you have a record.

If if you get convicted for no road tax you can't ever travel to America or Australia etc? I don't think so.

Minor motoring offences don't come under the umbrella criminal justice act.

As far as I'm aware, only death by dangerous driving, drink driving etc incur a permanent criminal record which is accessible by foreign immigration, employers etc

Anyway, as you'd know, we're heading off topic as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Thats the biggest load of Bolix I ever heard..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

This thread has gone far enough.

The OPs question has been (thoroughly and repeatedly) answered, and all that's left is for some good ol' boards.ie pedantry and bickering.

No thanks. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement