Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stopped with no tax only bought the van

Options
  • 31-12-2011 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I bought a van there 3 weeks ago with no tax but doe'd and the whole lot. Tonight I came across a checkpoint, I thought everything would be grand with no tax as I only bought the van and only have the look book since last friday so to be fair it would be impossible to get to the tax office with christmas and everything. I was gonna tax it this tuesday anyway but have to go in and show within the next 10 days no problem with that but I thought ya had 6 weeks to tax a vechile after change of ownership:confused:

Its not that I'm giving out but being stopped I was just wondering is the 6 week thing true or not?

Comments

Never heard of this 6 week thing you speak of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

all that you have to do is tax it....and bring in proof of tax to a garda station.

problem solved (remember to tax it for december or the gardai will not be happy)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

I don't know where I heard now tbh but I thought ya were aloud 6 weeks then just back tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

kearney13 wrote: »
    I don't know where I heard now tbh but I thought ya were aloud 6 weeks then just back tax it.

Nope.

Go to the tax office when it opens again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Or you could just tax it now and not have to worry about meeting more Guards or back taxing it?

• Advertisement

PCPhoto wrote: »
    all that you have to do is tax it....and bring in proof of tax to a garda station.

problem solved (remember to tax it for december or the gardai will not be happy)

Tax if for the year and no worries then ;) I will bring it to them but its a bit of a pain to do all this running around because I'm starting a new job wedensday and have a million and one things to do till then but sure look it, it's the law I'm just happy I didn't get fined :)

166man wrote: »
    Or you could just tax it now and not have to worry about meeting more Guards or back taxing it?

Local tax office is opened tuesday so in first thing in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Local tax office is opened tuesday so in first thing in the morning

Yeah I didn't literally mean now(!) I just meant over the next few days is easier than back taxing it..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 scotty1

I have in the last few weeks come across checkpoints where there's a guy with a transport truck lifting a car which I presume don't have tax. This time of the year the garda get a bit excited on tax they must be one group who have to listen to every lame excuse for not having a car tax and the rest.

I'm starting a job in new year so ya know want everything in order before I start can't have the gf or mammy running around doing these things no more haha!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's illegal to have a vehicle on a public road without tax - there's no grace period when you buy a vehicle to tax it. It's up to garda discretion.

maybe if I repeat this enough times it might catch on....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Is the Van DOE'd because you also need the annual Certificate of Roadworthyness from the DOE test also plus a goods declaration form (this varies by county) if you are going to tax it commercially. Once you do the right thing, tax it and can prove you just bought the van it would take a right mean spirited guard to then fine you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Stop being so bloody SENSIBLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

you can tax it online as soon as you recieve the log book in the post, just go to pin retrieval instead of enter renewal pin.. you will get a pin in a email and you can tax it there and then.. print page and keep in car till disc arrives..

done it twice this month already

barone wrote: »
    you can tax it online as soon as you recieve the log book in the post, just go to pin retrieval instead of enter renewal pin.. you will get a pin in a email and you can tax it there and then.. print page and keep in car till disc arrives..

done it twice this month already

... on a commercial?

not sure bout commercial actualy, i did it with cars

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

You cannot tax a commercial vehicle online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

For the record, you can not tax a commercial vehicle on line. It may change in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mancduff

It's illegal to have a vehicle on a public road without tax - there's no grace period when you buy a vehicle to tax it. It's up to garda discretion.

Repeat it all you want but in my situation with bringing a van in from the UK you couldn't tax the vehicle without DOE so here's the rigmarole I had to go through.

Get insured, easy enough then DOE so I have to drive it to test centre - fails. Get fixed, sorted. Go tax office "Needs to be weighed" big argument between me, poor girl in tax office and the DOE centre, DOE centre after 20 minutes of playing badminton with my mobile phone between this and that finally concedes that they are wrong and it needs to be weighed me not knowing wtf going on. Get it weighed in a f'ing quarry then go back, get it taxed and I'm finally legal.
    This all took a month and a bit from paying the VRT to DOE to fixing fault to passing DOE to going to the tax office then having to weigh the f***ing thing then back to the tax office,

I wanted to kill people at the end of it.

Now unless i had a bloody Chinook helicopter airlifting me everywhere, there is no possible way you can't be on the road untaxed to get it taxed, and I think any gard with a brain in his head (not likely ;)) would take that into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Stinicker wrote: »
    You cannot tax a commercial vehicle online.
    Fishtits wrote: »
    For the record, you can not tax a commercial vehicle on line. It may change in the future...
    Ahem.. Have a read of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Ahem.. Have a read of this.
    Owners of commercial vehicles may now renew their tax online, provided they have a current certificate of roadworthiness (valid from the beginning of the new licensing (taxing) period), and in the case of light goods vehicles (vehicles whose design gross vehicle weight is under 3,500 kg) the owner must have submitted form RF111A (declaration that the vehicle will only be used as a goods carrying vehicle in the course of the owners business) to the local motor tax office. Form RF111A is available on our homepage under the link, Motor Tax Forms. Where the requirements set out above are not met, vehicle owners will not receive a pin to renew their tax online, and must renew at the local motor tax office.

That says you can renew some online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

OP there is a grace time but it's discretionary.

If the officer does not believe you he can seize the vehicle on the spot and you walk home. You don't mention how you proceeded so I must assume the officer has applied discretion in your case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Jimdagym wrote: »
    That says you can renew some online.

I found I had to get the cert from the tax office, thus effectively ruling out online tax for commercials.

anyone with a van that has doe and no tax can find out right here, click the link and select pin retrieval in blue.. enter details (you dont havta go thru with it :) )

see will it send you a pin

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/welcome.do;jsessionid=0aa0114730d744a53a37bfb94db09f60ead622f2ee92.e38PaNaSbh0RaO0Pax50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

gbee wrote: »
    OP there is a grace time but it's discretionary.

If the officer does not believe you he can seize the vehicle on the spot and you walk home. You don't mention how you proceeded so I must assume the officer has applied discretion in your case.

What has been said is that there is no official grace period, it doesn't exist.

If the garda on the checkpoint or whatever believes you have a valid enough explaination for not being taxed then he'll likely let you away but he doesn't have to.

The law does stipulate that the garda cannot seize the vehicle for non payment of tax alone until the tax is overdue by 2 months. You can still be fined for not having tax though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You buy a car with no tax. What do you do? Trailer it home, park it in your driveway and wait 2-3weeks for the logbook to arrive?

The system is flawed, it's not our fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

You buy a car with no tax. What do you do? Trailer it home, park it in your driveway and wait 2-3weeks for the logbook to arrive?

I don't think anyone said that wasn't the case, the point being made is that some people seem to think that there is some official grace period and quote 4 weeks or 6 weeks or whatever when it doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Yes
    or
    you get the car's details and go down to the tax office, complete form RF100a, pay the fee and walk out with a new tax disc.
    or
    ask the seller to tax it before you buy, even give him the cash if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 scotty1

My son purchased a second hand car last year parked it in the drive for three months until his eighteenth birthday first thing he went to his local Garda station signed a form to say it was off the road went to the motor tax office and taxed it no mess the Garda were very helpful I don't think you can tax a second hand car on line for the first year it may be changed now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Yes
    or
    you get the car's details and go down to the tax office, complete form RF100a, pay the fee and walk out with a new tax disc.
    or
    ask the seller to tax it before you buy, even give him the cash if you have to.

90% of sellers wouldn't tax it for you, I'd imagine. Also, how do you get to the tax office/garda station if there's no tax on it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement