Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

7 mile, 56:59, 8:09 avg pace

Did this with a friend of mine who wanted to do a bit of faster running so we threw in a 7:20 and a 6.58 mile in the middle of this, also half a mile @ 6.40. Felt very comfortable in the quicker sections and overall it was a very comfy run (apart from the rain :rolleyes:).

MYTD: 591

4 mile, 30:36 including 1 mile @ 10k pace

Just an easy 4 mile run this evening but I decided to throw in one mile at the minimum pace required to run sub 40 before the race on Saturday, 6.26. I was actually slightly ahead of that, 6.23, but to be honest I kinda wish I didn't, felt a bit tougher than it should. But I'm not too worried, I'm in good shape an all going well I should sneak in under 40 minutes, but training hasn't been ideal for a fast 10k. As Raycun pointed out my 5k times suggest I should even dip under 39 minutes but I would truly be delighted with sub 40, it would be a big monkey off my back and is one of my targets for the year. Anyway no point worrying, all I can do is show up and race!

MYTD: 595

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It always feels harder in training, but you know you've run much faster than that in races

Yeah cheers Ray, it's just the usual psyching myself out before the race, "this is hard, why is it so hard??!!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

pconn062 wrote: »
    No problemo, this is the one I use:

http://www.physioproducts.ie/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=5&idcategory=34

Have to say I find it very good. I wore it yesterday and today and had no problems so hopefully the twinge was just a twinge! Hope it's the same for you, I know how frustrating it can be!

Sorry I'm only getting back now, thanks for the info. Turns out I do have one the very same which I had for an IT problem a couple of years ago, and in that instance you wore it above your knee, so I'm going to try it in training for the patellar problem. Really hated wearing it the last time.
    I see you are doing K-Club tomorrow? I am too, best of luck :D

• Advertisement

Sorry I'm only getting back now, thanks for the info. Turns out I do have one the very same which I had for an IT problem a couple of years ago, and in that instance you wore it above your knee, so I'm going to try it in training for the patellar problem. Really hated wearing it the last time.
    I see you are doing K-Club tomorrow? I am too, best of luck :D

Best of luck to you too! :)

3.2 miles, 27:45, 8.43 avg pace

Just a short handy jog this evening, tried to keep it as slow as possible which is harder said than done. I just don't really feel comfortable running at close to 9 minute miles any more, just seems too slow which I suppose is a good thing. Looking forward to the race tomorrow, hope it doesn't rain!

MYTD: 598

39:17 by my watch.

What a race this is, the BHAA races really are the business. Got down about ten and I was registered in advance so just had to pick up my number. Got a warm up done and it was time to line up. Start was a bit of a mess, thought I was far enough up but was a bit of a crush and took a while to settle down. First two K were fast but manageable, about 3.50 each but I was starting to hurt a bit by the third k which had me worried, it was too early to start suffering. Ploughed on until 5k, feeling just OK but not sure if I could hold the pace to the end. 6 and 7 were the hardest of the day and the pace dropped a bit and I was still on course for sub 40, I was convincing myself just keep going and stop looking at the Garmin. I thought I recognised Raycun from the "Know your ARTist's" thread and introduced myself around 8k, even though I could barely talk at this stage! He was going very strongly and I just tried to hold on to that group. The pace picked up about 9k and I tried to put the boot down to get as close to 39 as possible, but the end of the course just isn't built for sprint finishes and I crossed the line a wheezing, out of breath mess!
    Overall I'm very happy with the result considering how bad I felt around 3k, it really was a case of holding on from that stage and I'm glad I could do it. But never mind all that, the food afterwards was simply immense! They really went all out for this and this surely must be one of the best 10'ks you can do, great course, good competition and amazing food all for 15 quid. And another target for the year achieved!

MYTD: 605

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Well done on the sub 40. At 8k I barely had energy to run never mind start conversations :)

beeduybe wrote: »
    Well done on the sub 40. At 8k I barely had energy to run never mind start conversations :)

Ha wasn't so much a conversation as a word gasped between heavy breaths! :) Well done on your result, massive improvements this year, sub 40 is achievable before the end of the year. I ran 41.10 on New Years Day and 39.17 today, very doable for you to do the same.

• Advertisement

4 mile, 30:39, 7:40 avg pace

As this run goes to prove, I am a rather large idiot. It was meant to be a recovery run after yesterdays race but when I went out I just didn't feel like running slow and ended up going about a minute a mile quicker than I should have. I felt great though, no soreness at all and I'm taking tomorrow off anyway. This is the last big week of training before the 1/2 so gonna try to put in a good week and then wind down.

MYTD: 609

9.4 miles including 8 @ 1/2 marathon pace

Splits: 6.59, 6.55, 6.53, 6.56, 6.52, 6.54, 6.50, 6.53 (6.54 avg)

So because of the race on Saturday I had to shuffle a few sessions around so this was meant to be done on Sunday but moved it to tonight. It's also the longest 1/2 pace run before the race. In fact the training kind of winds down from here, although there are still a few sessions left. Took it easy on the first mile as I intend to do in the race but it felt hard, harder than it should. First three miles in fact were hard but eventually settled into a comfortably hard effort. Rest of the miles went very smoothly.
    Very happy with this run, it was hard but I was able to dig in a push on. Thoughts of 1.29 instead of 1.30/31 are coming into my mind but I will wait and see and just keep going the way I am. Easy run tomorrow if the weather allows.

MYTD: 618

5.5 miles, 45:47

Looking out the door before I went for this run, I thought this could be the last run I would ever do, I was definitely going to get hit by a falling tree! As I've mentioned before I live right beside the sea and the wind coming in of it was vicious, accompanied by lashing rain. But out I went anyway with a friend of mine and do you know what, it was awesome. There is something about running in that weather that just gives you a buzz, maybe I'm a bit of a spa but it was really fun and I enjoyed every step of it. A highlight must have been when we rounded a corner and were physically stopped in our tracks by the wind and we had to bow down and plough through, awesome!

MYTD: 623.5

5 and a bit miles including 4 mile tempo plus 6x80m sprints

Tempo splits: 7:34, 6:39, 6:38, 6:25- 27:24

Headed into the club tonight to meet up with a few of the lads and after a bit of a warm up about 8 of us headed out on the road to do this tempo. First mile was handy enough and we picked it up then and the group split, two lads out front running 5:50-6:00 minute miles, then me and another fellow with the rest behind. Good tough run on a tough enough course following most of the Dunleer 4 mile route (on in August, bit of a plug there ;)), and followed it up with 6 flat out 80m sprints back at the track. About 6 of us doing these, I haven't done sprints in years. When I was a kid I really only focused on sprints and won a few All Ireland medals over 60, 80 and 100 metres and even after all this time (OK I'm only 24 but it seems like a lifetime ago!) I think there is still a bit of speed in the legs. :) Might try my hand at a few shorter sprints over the summer to see how I fair.

MYTD: 628.5

4 miles, 33:03, 8.15 avg pace

Easy run this evening, taking it handy after last nights session. The legs are a bit sore since the half marathon pace miles on Tuesday, unusually sore and I haven't been able to shake it off. It's a bit weird, hope fully another easy run tomorrow will help, then I have ten with six at race pace planned for Sunday.

MYTD: 632.5

4 miles, 30:46, 7:41 avg pace

Another day, another easy run. Even though the pace was over 30 seconds a mile quicker than yesterday, the overall effort felt same which I take as a good sign. It was a lovely run actually, just cruising along at a nice pace, nice weather and beautiful scenery, must post up a few pictures sometime. 10 mile planned for tomorrow so hoping the wind isn't too bad, was quite strong this evening.

MYTD: 636.5

Actually just messing on flickr there and I have these two photos on it so thought I'd throw them up here, this is Port Beach beside my house, I run by this beach on nearly all of my runs.

5845836729_f34c625062_z.jpg

5845789743_bce705c170_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭digdeep

Looks beautiful PC. Enjoying following your log. Best of luck in Dundalk half marathlon. Was planning to head to it but football match on that i have to head to.

I'm just back in from doing a hour and half on the bike. Wind is nasty in Monaghan so its probably a killer by the sea.

digdeep wrote: »
    Looks beautiful PC. Enjoying following your log. Best of luck in Dundalk half marathlon. Was planning to head to it but football match on that i have to head to.

I'm just back in from doing a hour and half on the bike. Wind is nasty in Monaghan so its probably a killer by the sea.

Cheers DD, yeah the wind was an issue but it's all part of the fun! Good luck with the match, hopefully you'll get up to the Dundalk half next year, it's a great race.

10 including 4 easy in 31:28 (7.52 pace) and 6 in 41:30 (6.55 pace)

1/2 pace splits: 7.03, 6.53, 6.51, 6.56, 7.00, 6.48

So headed out on the roads for this one, the last long run before the race. So far I've done most (but not all) of my race pace runs at the track so was looking forward to doing this one on the road to see where I was. Very windy out there, so the splits are a bit erratic but it was totally controlled by the wind, I just tried to keep the effort steady and consistent. Overall it went very well, felt slightly harder than on the track but that's to be expected, I felt I was pushing at times but just about remaining under control. I also wore the racers to try them over a longer distance, the longest I had done in them was 10k. They felt fine apart from a little blister developed on one of my toes which was a touch annoying but will just wrap it up on race day just in case. Happy overall though and glad it's done, one more race pace session during the week and then easy running from midweek on. Also broke my (albeit soft) 10 mile PB on this run, not bad for a training run! :)

MYTD: 646.5

• Advertisement

Rest day today, just updating this table. Mileage up a little bit this month, just a little over 40 miles a week. Going to head to the track for a session tomorrow.

Month|No. of Runs|Miles Run
    January|25|159.5
    February|25|158.5
    March|26|161.5
    April|26|167
    Total|102|646.5

7 miles including 6 @ 1/2 marathon pace

So into the track this evening to do this and it truly was a disgusting evening. The track at out club kind of sits up on a bit of a hill so is very exposed to the wind (yes, getting excuses in early!). To be honest before I started I should have adjusted my pace to suit the conditions but I didn't and just launched in trying for around 6.55 pace. I got the first one done OK but after that it became a real slog, and after four miles I was bolloxed, dying a death every time I hit the wind. I stopped after four miles but instead of calling it a day I decided to change the strategy and did something that I saw Larry Brent suggest on some ones log, decided to try the last two at race effort, not pace. Only stopped for about two minutes to get the HR down, and did the last two. The pace was slower but very glad to get it done and still averaged 7.02 pace overall.
    So not the last perfect session I wanted before the race but still happy enough to get it done. I really hope we get good weather next week, if it was like tonight it would be a disaster and would be a shame to train well for 12 weeks to have the weather feck it up.

Splits: 6:59, 6:52, 6:59, 7:02, 7:14, 7:11

MYTD: 653

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

7 miles including 6 @ 1/2 marathon pace

So into the track this evening to do this and it truly was a disgusting evening. The track at out club kind of sits up on a bit of a hill so is very exposed to the wind (yes, getting excuses in early!). To be honest before I started I should have adjusted my pace to suit the conditions but I didn't and just launched in trying for around 6.55 pace. I got the first one done OK but after that it became a real slog, and after four miles I was bolloxed, dying a death every time I hit the wind. I stopped after four miles but instead of calling it a day I decided to change the strategy and did something that I saw Larry Brent suggest on some ones log, decided to try the last two at race effort, not pace. Only stopped for about two minutes to get the HR down, and did the last two. The pace was slower but very glad to get it done and still averaged 7.02 pace overall.
    So not the last perfect session I wanted before the race but still happy enough to get it done. I really hope we get good weather next week, if it was like tonight it would be a disaster and would be a shame to train well for 12 weeks to have the weather feck it up.

Splits: 6:59, 6:52, 6:59, 7:02, 7:14, 7:11

MYTD: 653

Well done on sticking it out. I did the same session (6 @ HMP) about 10 days before the waterford half in similar conditions. I got out from the canal after 1 mile at race pace and hit the wind and chucked the session in after half a mile of running into the wind. I had previously tried the session the week before over a very hilly 1 mile loop and had to chuck it in and do as you did, run them at HM effort instead of pace (about 7:15 pace).

Anyways I got out a few days after the windy 2nd attempt and did manage to nial the session of 6 @ 6:50 pace in flat and calm conditions. It was a real confidence booster. It's probably too close to race day for you to try again?

Either way, I think you can be pretty confident of sub 1:30. You have proved in the past that you pull out big performances in races and I am sure you will again.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Well done on sticking it out. I did the same session (6 @ HMP) about 10 days before the waterford half in similar conditions. I got out from the canal after 1 mile at race pace and hit the wind and chucked the session in after half a mile of running into the wind. I had previously tried the session the week before over a very hilly 1 mile loop and had to chuck it in and do as you did, run them at HM effort instead of pace (about 7:15 pace).

Anyways I got out a few days after the windy 2nd attempt and did manage to nial the session of 6 @ 6:50 pace in flat and calm conditions. It was a real confidence booster. It's probably too close to race day for you to try again?

Either way, I think you can be pretty confident of sub 1:30. You have proved in the past that you pull out big performances in races and I am sure you will again.

Cheers Meno, yeah the wind really flattened me today, sounds exactly like your session. It's one week to the race tomorrow, could it be a bit close? I got some good 1/2 race pace sessions done over the weeks including 8 @ 6.54 last week, 10 on Sunday with last 6 at 6.54 and tonights sessions. Also 6 (twice) and 7 @ race pace over the last few weeks and 14 with last four at race pace about three weeks ago. I would have loved for tonight to go really well but happy enough with it.
    Is it enough, not sure but I hope so and I'm not sure if doing the session again on Thursday maybe would do more harm than good. Would be a great confidence booster if it went well though, it's just hard to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Cheers Meno, yeah the wind really flattened me today, sounds exactly like your session. It's one week to the race tomorrow, could it be a bit close? I got some good 1/2 race pace sessions done over the weeks including 8 @ 6.54 last week, 10 on Sunday with last 6 at 6.54 and tonights sessions. Also 6 (twice) and 7 @ race pace over the last few weeks and 14 with last four at race pace about three weeks ago. I would have loved for tonight to go really well but happy enough with it.
    Is it enough, not sure but I hope so and I'm not sure if doing the session again on Thursday maybe would do more harm than good. Would be a great confidence booster if it went well though, it's just hard to know.

I Hadn't realised you had so many race pace efforts done!! I only did 4, 5 and 6 miles (at the third attempt) so I'd say you'll be grand. You know yourself in a race the adrenaline kicks in and you'll have 6-7 miles done at pace before the pain kicks in, then you just grit it out :pac:

I wouldn't risk another go if the race is that close (don't know why I thought it was next weekend :confused:) You'd need two days to recover from todays session and then it's be too close to the race.

Best of luck!!

6 miles, 47:13, 7.52 avg. pace

Few easy miles with a friend of mine this evening. We wanted to check out the new route of a 10k that is on in our local village in a few weeks as last years route was a killer, thankfully this years is much easier. We kinda did a fartlek run, mixing up the paces between 6.30 for short bursts to 8.30. Just gonna be a case of ticking over for a few days now, throwing in the odd mile @ half pace to keep a bit of sharpness. Might head in to the club tomorrow to do something easy.

MYTD: 659

7.2 miles, 53:04, 7:19 avg. pace

Headed into the club tonight to meet a few of the lads for a run. Got two miles done myself on the track waiting for them to arrive, struggled to keep the pace down. Then headed out on the roads for a 5 mile loop. We wanted to push it a bit but not too much, just keep it steady as we're all racing in the next week. Didn't look at the watch while running but just checking the splits there and three of the miles were around my half pace, 6.55 or so. I was surprised by this because the pace felt fairly easy and it was over a hilly enough route so happy with that. One or two of the lads are targeting 1.30 as well next week so might have a bit of company!

MYTD: 666 (oooh spooky!)

4.5 miles, 38:00, 8.19 avg pace

This was meant to be a bit slower for a recovery run but I realised I was starving when I was out so put the boot down a bit to get home and get some lunch! Heading up to Monaghan to the OH's parents for a few days but will bring the runners and get a run or two around the trails in Rossmore forest. All easy running now with maybe the occasional mile or two at race pace to get the legs turning over and maintain a bit of sharpness.

MYTD: 670.5

Didn't get a run in today unfortunately with all the family stuff going on but I did do a very long, very hilly walk around the fields and hills of Monaghan, some great scenery by my God it's a hilly bastard of a county! Meeting with a friend of mine for a few miles in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Didn't get a run in today unfortunately with all the family stuff going on but I did do a very long, very hilly walk around the fields and hills of Monaghan, some great scenery by my God it's a hilly bastard of a county! Meeting with a friend of mine for a few miles in the morning.

Watch who you're calling a hilly bastard of a county!! Cheeky fecker!

You all set for the half now yeah? What day is it on this year?

You're training has been absolutely brilliant. I'd say you're near certain to hit your target. Take it easy over the next couple of days anyway. Nothing much to be gained by race week running in my opinion.

chat to you soon.

Advertisement