Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

4 miles, 34.35, 8.39 avg. pace

Easy recovery run today, nothing really to report. Headed up to the Carlingford half marathon today to support my two friends, one of them came fourth in the 10k (in an admittedly pretty low quality field but he still ran really well!)

MYTD: 328.5

10 miles including 8 in 1:05:27 (8.11 avg. pace), 2 miles in 13:45 (6.53 avg. pace)

Longish run today, first 8 miles went fine, stomach was a wee bit funny, think I ate too soon before running. Then started my two miles at planned half marathon pace but just as I started the sky grew dark and ominous, the wind started howling and a massive hail shower started. It was like little pins sticking into your face with each step so I stopped the watch and ran for cover behind a wall. Ireland is such a mad country, in the hour and twenty minutes I was out it was sunny, cold and windy and it rained, hailed and sleeted! When I got going the two miles were fine. Rest day tomorrow.

MYTD: 338.5

Monday: Rest day

Today: 5 mile including 3x1 mile @ 5k pace off 3.00 recovery

Really wanted to get this session in as it's a good confidence booster for me if it goes well 10 or 12 days before a race (I'm racing a 5k the day after St. Patrick's Day). It is rotten out there, raining and windy as fluck but out I went anyway like an idiot. After a bit of a warm up and some stretching I launched into the first one into the wind which was tough, I was aiming for 6.15 pace. By the end of the first one I was breathing really hard but hit 6.15 on the nose. The second one was a bit better, with the wind slightly on my back, but too fast. The last repeat was going well until 3/4's of a mile in eh "stomach problems" (I'll spare you the detail! :o) meant I had to stop, but I was going well and confident I would have finished. I don't usually stop when doing these but really had no choice in this situation. Anyway happy overall with the session but if it's as windy as that on race day it could be a problem.

Splits: 6.15, 6.06 :eek:, 6.12 for the last 3/4's of a mile

MYTD: 343.5

6 miles, 46.05, 7.40 avg. pace

Just an easy run this evening, ran the middle three miles with a friend of mine who is only getting back into training and he wanted a quicker mile so I paced him through a 6.56 mile which accounts for the slightly lower overall pace. Good session tomorrow, 8 miles with 6 @ planned half marathon pace.

MYTD: 349

8 miles including 1 mile WU, 6 miles in 41:34 (6.55 avg. pace), 1 mile WD

Splits: 6.57, 6.57, 6.56, 6.59, 6.52, 6.54

So the plan today called for 8 miles with 6 @ planned half marathon pace, I was aiming for somewhere between 6.55 and 7.00. Headed into the track and after a mile warm up I was off. It went fairly well, pace felt "comfortably" hard, manageable but not sure if I can imagine holding it for another 7 miles yet.
    I also wore my heart rate monitor strap for the first time ever, I don't know much about heart rates and that so never bothered with it before. I averaged 165 BPM for the 6 miles, if anyone is reading this (that's if anyone reads my ramblings!:D) who knows about this stuff could you tell me if that is normal for half marathon pace or am I punching above my weight with this pace (or effort)? This pace would give me a 90 minute half, 7 minutes quicker that my PB set last September but I'm in much better shape now and McMillan is giving me 1.29 off my Raheny time. I'm also training specifically for this half marathon for 12 weeks off a really good base.
    I don't know what my max heart rate is and I can't see myself wearing the strap on every run, it's a bit too sciencey for me and I don't want to have to start analysing my runs based on HR, running is a simple sport to me and I want to keep it that way. Just wondering if that HR I had today is average for half marathon pace? Ramble over!!

MYTD: 357

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hey Pconn,

The HR question is akin to how long is a piece of string.
    For the HR values to make sense you first need to record your Resting HR (Take your HR when you wake first thing in the morning as this should be the lowest it will be all day) and your MaxHR (Try doing 4 runs of about 3-4 mins each uphill with a 2min recovery pace break or so in between each run). Once you have these confirmed we can then give you feedback on where your HR should be for different paces. Everyone is different and therefore 165bpm could be spot on for you or it could be out by 20-30bpm!

Also, many people do exactly as you mention about ignoring the HR monitor during the run and simply use it to analyse the run afterwards. Personally I like to keep an eye on the HR during the run just to use it as an extra control measure to prevent me going too fast or to speed up depending on circumstances. For example, I would find it useful for going up a steep, long hill to avoid going too hard and getting an elevated HR if I still had loads of miles left to do. I'd definitely recommend using it more often though, at least to review your runs.

Thanks for that Belcarra, the whole HR thing baffles me a bit, I will try and record the resting HR and max HR in the next few days and see then. From what I gather from reading is that each pace (5k, 10k, 1/2) should be at a certain percentage of your max HR, so I'll try and get that sorted and take it from there. And I suppose when I understand it a bit more I can start wearing it more often, maybe on race pace runs and interval workouts. Cheers for your help.

4 miles, 34:34, 8.39 avg. pace

Just a recovery run today, legs felt a bit heavy but that's probably expected after yesterdays effort. I'm 99% certain that I'm racing the BHAA race in ALSAA tomorrow, a member of my club is organising it so have to show a bit of support. Will see what the conditions are like and see whether I race it or just use it as training. Probably my last X-country race this season till October or November.

MYTD: 361

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

pconn062 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Belcarra, the whole HR thing baffles me a bit, I will try and record the resting HR and max HR in the next few days and see then. From what I gather from reading is that each pace (5k, 10k, 1/2) should be at a certain percentage of your max HR, so I'll try and get that sorted and take it from there. And I suppose when I understand it a bit more I can start wearing it more often, maybe on race pace runs and interval workouts. Cheers for your help.

Do you find the HRM strap uncomfortable?
    I wear my strap on pretty much every run unless i forget it. It doesn't annoy me, in fact on longer runs I find it helps stop nipple chafing (I only notice this when i don't wear it). I never have the HR field showing during a run as too much info can distract/ annoy you, especially when the HRM gives dodgy readings as mine does more often than not. It is however very useful to mnitor the data after a run and check your progress accordingly.

As for your HR zones, as belcarra says it depends on your max. Effort for each distance of race should be proportional to the %max. Like for a 5k you might run up at 95%max on average, for a marathon it might be closer to 80%. I think it depends a lot on the person though and not one rule fits all. Some people might be able to hold 90%+ of max for a Half Marathon while someone else would struggle to hold 85%. The only way to find these things out is to wear your HRM more often (especially in races) and analyse the data afterwards.

FWIW my max is around 185 and My HM HR is about 165-170. I think more importantly if you can hold a pace for 6 miles comfortably in training then you should have no trouble in a Half Marathon race. Anytime I train for a half I do a key session a few weeks before of 6-7 miles at planned race pace. When i hit this I will always make it the full distance in a race. So it looks like you are in solid shape for 1'30 IMO.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Do you find the HRM strap uncomfortable?
    I wear my strap on pretty much every run unless i forget it. It doesn't annoy me, in fact on longer runs I find it helps stop nipple chafing (I only notice this when i don't wear it). I never have the HR field showing during a run as too much info can distract/ annoy you, especially when the HRM gives dodgy readings as mine does more often than not. It is however very useful to mnitor the data after a run and check your progress accordingly.

As for your HR zones, as belcarra says it depends on your max. Effort for each distance of race should be proportional to the %max. Like for a 5k you might run up at 95%max on average, for a marathon it might be closer to 80%. I think it depends a lot on the person though and not one rule fits all. Some people might be able to hold 90%+ of max for a Half Marathon while someone else would struggle to hold 85%. The only way to find these things out is to wear your HRM more often (especially in races) and analyse the data afterwards.

FWIW my max is around 185 and My HM HR is about 165-170. I think more importantly if you can hold a pace for 6 miles comfortably in training then you should have no trouble in a Half Marathon race. Anytime I train for a half I do a key session a few weeks before of 6-7 miles at planned race pace. When i hit this I will always make it the full distance in a race. So it looks like you are in solid shape for 1'30 IMO.

Cheers for that Meno, no I don't find the strap uncomfortable, I just never thought of wearing it because I never really understood the whole HR thing and I only ever ran by feel. But I'm putting in a lot of work this year to get the times down so thought it might not be a bad idea to start using it. I'm racing a 5k next weekend so that should give me close to my max HR and I can work our my percentage HR's from that. I'll also start wearing the strap more often, cheers again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Cheers for that Meno, no I don't find the strap uncomfortable, I just never thought of wearing it because I never really understood the whole HR thing and I only ever ran by feel. But I'm putting in a lot of work this year to get the times down so thought it might not be a bad idea to start using it. I'm racing a 5k next weekend so that should give me close to my max HR and I can work our my percentage HR's from that. I'll also start wearing the strap more often, cheers again.

I guess That's the MSB 5k? hopefully I'll be doing that too. I still reckon that a 5k raced flat out is the best way to get a max HR. The max I have ever reached was in the last 100m sprint at the end of a 5k and that's what I base my zones off. ( I have had higher readings but they are 'spikes' caused by static- the garmin HRMs are notoriousl unreliable- you have to learn to ignore the 'spikes').

menoscemo wrote: »
    I guess That's the MSB 5k? hopefully I'll be doing that too. I still reckon that a 5k raced flat out is the best way to get a max HR. The max I have ever reached was in the last 100m sprint at the end of a 5k and that's what I base my zones off. ( I have had higher readings but they are 'spikes' caused by static- the garmin HRMs are notoriousl unreliable- you have to learn to ignore the 'spikes').

It's actually a different 5k in Drogheda the day after Paddy's Day but I'll be racing it flat out anyway so I'll record it then and pop it up here and have a look at it. Cheers again and good luck with your 5k.

7 mile including 5.15 miles in 33.24, 6.29 avg. pace

Good race today, the course at ALSAA was flat and dry but it was windy as hell at some parts. Went out hard for the first mile which was the fastest of the day (6.22) but I didn't mind and it helped settle the field position wise. Fell in with another runner and we ran side by side for the last 4 miles basically, nice to have someone to share pacing duties with even if it's not intentional. 4 laps for the men which was tough but kept it under control and only really felt under pressure in the last half a mile, but had enough left for a sprint finish to get ahead of my pacer! 47th overall which I was happy with, my highest result in any of these BHAA races. Great spread afterwards as usual. The plan tomorrow called for a session @ 10k pace but after the race today I might just do a LSR.

MYTD: 368

10 mile, 1:19:37

Out for my usual 10 mile route today, felt great and just cruised around with no tiredness from yesterdays race in the legs. No Garmin so ran purely by feel, was a bit quicker than intended but felt extremely comfortable. 40 miles for the week, my highest since before DCM last year by a mile or two, not bad for a fellow training for a 5k! :)

MYTD: 378

5.5 miles, 43.36, 7.50 avg. pace

Was going to take today off but I have to work all day (and night) Wednesday so will take it off instead. Nice handy run round the block, have to move a few sessions around this week to fit in a race on Sunday so will have to do my long run on Friday.

MYTD: 383.5

4.2 miles including 10 hill repeats

So the plan today called for: Standard warm up. Run 10 x hill repeats. Find a hill that is fairly steep and at least 100 meters in length. Run up the hill at a pace that feels like 5K pace. Run 20 meters past the top of the hill. Jog back down to recover. Repeat this 10 times.
    And it went well, too well maybe. There was no heaving or dry retching that you normally hear about when people do hill repeats so I wonder did I do it wrong?! :)The hill I used was longer than 100 meters, 200 maybe, and the pace was always below 5.50 on the hard bits so I'm happy. Probably a rest day tomorrow but if I have time for an easy run I will do it and take a day off closer to the race at the weekend, will have to see how it plays out.

MYTD: 387.5

Wednesday: rest day

Today: 9 miles including 6x1 mile @ 10k pace (6.38)

Tough enough session tonight, headed into the track and overall it went well. The breathing wasn't too laboured but the stomach started acting up again on the 5th repeat but just HTFU and pushed onto the end. This has happened a few times lately, will have to see if something in particular is causing it. Was intending on doing Sundays long run tomorrow as I'm racing Sunday, but the legs felt a bit heavy tonight so might just take it easy between now and the race.

Splits: 6.39, 6.39, 6.39, 6.37, 6.37, 6.37

MYTD: 396.5

6.5 miles, 50:47, 7:49 avg. pace

(Not so) easy run this evening, legs were a bit heavy at the start but loosened up towards the end, was a bit more of a struggle than it should have been though. Going to try and do a proper recovery run tomorrow before the race on Sunday, keep it as close to 9 minute miles as possible, the legs deserve it!

MYTD: 403

4 miles, 35:45, 8.56 avg. pace

A proper recovery run today to give the legs a proper rest, felt good and a nice evening for running. So the race tomorrow, I don't think it's going to be a huge, quality field. It's more of a local charity race but it's very local so would be shame not to do it. Not the easiest course, the first half is mostly uphill and levels out for the second half. Will see what happens but hopefully a new PB (anything under 19:40) is the least of the outcomes.

MYTD: 407

So headed out for this what I thought would be small local race, but almost 400 people turned up to run! :eek: A quick glance around told me there was not a huge quality field so I stood in the front row for the start. I was aiming for 6.15 pace but the start was faster and I was in the leading group. Over the first mile the group split a bit and I ended up in about 9th place, the first half was mostly uphill and was bang on target at 6.15.
    We turned a corner just after the first mile and I could see a few lads in front of me suffering. I was feeling great and over the next mile picked off a few and ended up in fourth place. I was flying at this stage and mile 2 was 5:53 and mile three 5:48. I put some distance between me and fifth place and hammered it up to the finish which was rather cruelly uphill, 5.19 pace for the last little bit and crossed the line in 17:59. The course was slightly short (about 3.03) so equates to about a 18:20 5k, way above my expectations and over a minute and 20 secs off my PB from before Xmas. Also 4th place, my highest finish ever in a long distance race. :)Great, fun event with the winner finishing in about 16:20, so not too shabby.

3.03 miles, 17:59, 5.58 avg. pace, 4th overall.

MYTD: 411

• Advertisement

5.75 miles including 3x1200 @ 5k pace (6.00 avg. pace)

This was meant to be 4x1200 but it wasn't happening. The legs were dead, felt sluggish and a bit tired. Happy enough to get 3 done at 6.00 min pace though. I'm working tomorrow at half 8 until 9 tomorrow night so don't think I'll squeeze a run in unfortunately. Looking forward to doing a bit of a longer run at the weekend (I am training for a 1/2 marathon after all!)

MYTD: 416.5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

well pconn. Excellent result in the race in Drogheda. You're really flying this year. Delighted to see all your hard work and determination is paying off for you.

well pconn. Excellent result in the race in Drogheda. You're really flying this year. Delighted to see all your hard work and determination is paying off for you.

Cheers RFR, yeah it's going OK, think I'll stick to these 5k's they seem to suit me better than those damn marathons! How's training for London going? You've been pretty unlucky with sickness and all that, it is a case of just enjoying it at this stage?

6.5 miles including 10 hill repeats

Good session today, same hill session as last week but got a better warm up and cool down that last week so the legs were good and loose starting it. Happy with that, nothing much more to report!

MYTD: 423

How's training for London going? You've been pretty unlucky with sickness and all that, it is a case of just enjoying it at this stage?

Training's been very low volume for London, 5 activities in the last 30 days according to the Garmin!!! Too much other things going on with college, etc to prioritise training. Saying that though, I did a good 18 miler last Sunday that felt pretty comfortable so I probably am in ok shape. But yeah, it'll just be a case of enjoying the experience, if I manage to keep the time under 3.15, I'd be delighted. Planning my Autumn marathon so the goal race for the year will be the end of September.

Training's been very low volume for London, 5 activities in the last 30 days according to the Garmin!!! Too much other things going on with college, etc to prioritise training. Saying that though, I did a good 18 miler last Sunday that felt pretty comfortable so I probably am in ok shape. But yeah, it'll just be a case of enjoying the experience, if I manage to keep the time under 3.15, I'd be delighted. Planning my Autumn marathon so the goal race for the year will be the end of September.

You should do sub 3.15 in your sleep Aonghus. You're not even done with this marathon and you're already planning your next one, lunatic! Will have to get you in for the x country season next year! :)

6.5 miles, 51:29, 7.55 avg. pace

Just an easy recovery run this morning before work, gorgeous morning out there, especially down at the beach and the miles just flew by. Days like this are good.

4 miles, 33:47, 8:27 avg. pace

Easy recovery run today, not sure what is happening tomorrow, might be a slight chance that I'm racing Dunboyne, I'm not at the minute but it's a maybe, supporting other clubs and all that. If not I'll be doing 12 mile, if I am racing I'll move the 12 mile to Monday as I want to get it done either way.

MYTD: 433.5

12 miles including 9 in 1:15:31 (8.23 pace) and 3 in 20:54 (6.58 pace)

So headed out this morning for what was to be my longest run of the year so far (all the marathon runners are sniggering!), 12 miles with the last 3 at goal half marathon pace. Did this with a friend of mine, the first 9 miles were nice and easy, just enjoying the company and the gorgeous day, then we picked it up for the last three. I thought this felt a bit tougher than it should have been, the legs were a bit heavy. The pace came easily enough but was a bit harder work than I would have liked to hold it. Not bad all the same though and glad to get it done. Rest day tomorrow.

MYTD: 445.5

• Advertisement

pconn, I always find that the first longish run when the temperature rises in Spring is always tough. You've been training all year in temps probably under 10 degrees. Add 5 to that, and a longer run and that'll always make it seem hard. I read an article somewhere that the ideal temperature for running a marathon is 8 degrees and that every degree over that adds a few seconds a mile. I can't remember the exact figures but I've certainly always found the first long run in March/April sunshine a toughie. Don't stress it..

I take it you didn't do Dunboyne?

Advertisement