Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

pconn062 wrote: »
    Had a bit of an incident on the road though, met a car coming the same direction as me who started to slow down as there was another car coming the other way as well but she then decided to put the boot down and fly by me, hitting my arm with her wing mirror as she went. I was in as close to the hedge as I could be and got a real shock. She then drove a bit up the road and turned round to see if I was still standing and then sped away. :mad:

:eek::eek::eek: Some people have no cop on at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

beeduybe wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: Some people have no cop on at all...

I know, if it was some skanger in a souped up punto you would expect it but it was some middle aged woman in a big flashy jeep. Think I'll run in the middle of the road from now on and give them no choice but to stop! :rolleyes:

5.5 miles, 41:57, 7.32 avg pace

Nice easy one this evening, again the pace was a little quicker than I intended but I felt very comfortable at this pace so stuck with it. Last few miles were 7.2X and I felt like I was jogging which was pretty cool. Going to do a long run tomorrow, 12-14 miles depending on what time I get out at.

MYTD: 1067

14 miles, 1:50:02, 7.52 avg pace

Bit of a longer one this morning, felt good for most of it. The only thing bothering me were my feet which were a bit sore towards the end, definitely need new runners as that's what was causing it, will get a new pair this week. I generally wear Nike Pegasus and my old pair have well over 1,000 miles in them and are well worn away. A good week overall with (slightly) higher mileage, hoping to keep that up between now and the 1/2 marathon in Dublin.

MYTD: 1081

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

See the Pegasus is 54.95 sterling for 2011 model or 69.95 sterling for new model on Start Fitness.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    See the Pegasus is 54.95 sterling for 2011 model or 69.95 sterling for new model on Start Fitness.

Cheers, yeah unfortunately the sizes on the old model are very limited on that website, unless you have feet like boats! :) Found a pair on wiggle for 75 with free delivery, think I'll be putting in an order tonight!

7.2 miles

Session: 1.2 mile WU, 5 mile in 32:44 (6.32 pace), 1 mile WD

Just copped on that I'm running the Frank Duffy 10 mile in 3 (?) weeks, so wanted to do a few tempo-ish sessions for it. Decided to try for 5 miles @ race pace, I'm aiming for 65/66 minutes so aimed for 6.35 pace which would get me under 66 (just). Headed into the track and it was fugly weather wise. After a mile and a bit warm up and a bit of stretching I launched into the miles. Settled in quick and felt good, held the pace fairly well and the pace felt tough but manageable, could have done more if necessary. Happy to get that done, averaged 6.32 pace for the 5 miles. Gonna take it easy between now and Friday to feel good and fresh for the race.

MYTD: 1088

7 miles easy

Nice easy run this evening with a few from the club, didn't bother with the Garmin but I think we were around 7.30 pace if I remember correctly what the lads said. Just going to do a very short easy run tomorrow to set me up for Friday although if the weather reports are anything to go by, it doesn't look like it's going to be a good day for racing. :( Stupid Irish weather.

MYTD: 1095

15 mins easy

Just a very short easy run this evening, was really just to test out the legs. I decided to foolishly do some squats last night for the first time in AGES and the legs were feeling it this morning. Also went for a massage tonight, and a pretty vigorous one at that :o, which may have killed my chances of racing tomorrow as I imagine I could be feeling quite tender. Will play it by ear though and see how I feel, not too bothered if I have to give it a miss though (although I might feel differently tomorrow evening!). Also had to visit my old nemesis "The Ice Bath" after the massage as his suggestion, holy sh*t it's torture, thought I was done with all that nonsense when I stopped running marathons! :eek: Hopefully will take some of the tenderness out of the legs tomorrow though.

MYTD: 1096.5

Chip time: 18:23 :D

When I woke up today I really had no intentions of doing this race as the legs were a bit tender, in fact my brother was supposed to take my number but when he pulled out I decided to go cause I had paid for the race online and I'm stingy like that! The groin was a bit tight but I did a long enough warm up and it loosened out a bit. The course is an out and back and on the warm up I figured out that the wind would be into your face for the first half and then on your back for the second half.
    Lined up and the numbers were fairly small, about 150 but a lot of good club runners. Went out handy enough and ran with a guy from my club, the wind was strong and we didn't push it to much at the start, first mile 5:58 and we were in a group of about 5. Hit half way and I felt good, legs were nice and loose and the breathing was good. As soon as we turned back with the wind behind me I pushed on a bit and went to the font of the group. Pushed on and caught the next group and over the next mile picked off most of this group. This mile felt quicker but was actually 5:59. Put a real shove on here for the third mile and was just me and another fellow fighting it out, third mile was 5:47, he was just a bit stronger in the end but still dragged me to a new PB by 17 seconds, 5.39 for the last little bit (didn't actually know any of these splits during the race as I had the HR screen on when I was racing which was blank).
    Very happy with that effort as I really wasn't expecting it, getting closer to that sub 18 and a new pair of runners! Definitely could have run quicker with less wind, reckon it cost me 10-15 seconds in the first half.
    This is a great race, only 15 and for that you get:

A really good accurately measured course

A high quality technical t-shirt

Water, banana, and all the tea/coffee, sandwiches and goodies you could eat after the race. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone for next year if you want a really good, competitive, fast 5k. Oh and the first women home was no other than Maria McCambridge, I was lined up right behind her at the start (it's the closest I will ever get to her in a race!;)) Great night, up next is my own club's race, the Dunleer 4 mile next Sunday, also only 15 euro and guaranteed to be as high in quality (little plug there! :))

MYTD: 1101.5

• Advertisement

Super racing, well done. Sub 18 beckons.

5.5 miles, 46:37, 8.23 avg. pace

Just a handy trot this evening to shake out the legs after yesterday. Nothing much to report, can't wait for my new runners to be delivered. Going to do a long run tomorrow, probably same as last week, 12-14 miles.

MYTD: 1107

14 miles, 1:49:10, 7.47 avg pace

Another Sunday, another long run. Same route as last week, the pace a bit quicker this time round. It started raining about 1.5 miles into this and persisted for the remainder of the run, got absolutely soaked! And I mean soaked, sweat mixing with rain running down your face and burning your eyes soaked! :( Felt good though up until the last mile or so when I was getting cold and a bit miserable and just wanted to get home. Going to stretch out these long runs over the next few weeks with the intention of putting in at least one or two 18 milers before the Dublin 1/2 in September.

MYTD: 1121

3.5 miles

Monday: Rest Day

Today: Very long day in work today (started at seven, home at half 8 :eek:) so was wrecked when I got home. Only for my new runners today I probably would have skipped it but glad I didn't, would have felt guilty. Only a short jog but was at a reasonable pace so better than nothing.

MYTD: 1124.5

6 miles

Another long day at work but managed to make it in to training tonight. Took it easy at coaches advice with the Dunleer 4 mile road race on Sunday. Ran the course (which is in great condition :)) in about 28 minutes so got some quality in. It's gonna be an easy enough week with the race but will head into the club tomorrow as well and do some sort of session. After Sunday the next two weeks will be fully focused on the FD 10 miler.

MYTD: 1130.5

6 miles

Another six miles this evening, again covering the four miles of the Dunleer 4 mile road race route, this time just checking (for the 100th time) that the course is accurate. Actually went in to do some sort of session but my coach was there and gave me a slap on the wrist so just headed out on the road instead. Probably do the same tomorrow and Saturday which should leave me feeling fresh for Sunday. Looking forward to it.

MYTD: 1136.5

4 miles, 30:33, 7:38 avg pace

Another feckin bitch of a day at work and I was shattered by the time I got home, I'm glad this week is a bit of a step back week because I'm not really getting anything serious done, but with the race on Sunday I'm not worried. Probably do the same tomorrow but a bit slower. The most amazing thing about this run was that I got sun-burned!! :eek::eek::eek: In Ireland, in summer! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

MYTD: 1140.5

4 miles

Nice handy 4 miles this evening with the brother just to shake the legs out, looking forward to the race tomorrow, should be a great day for Dunleer AC, here's hoping the sun shines!

MYTD: 1144.5

Chip time: 24:16

Very happy with that in my own clubs flagship race. After spending the morning manning a table handing out race numbers and generally being busy I got a bit of a warm up done and lined up. Fell in with a nice group from the start and felt good, first mile passed in 5.49, maybe a little fast. Pretty straightforward from here, from mile 2-3 there is a gradual hill and the pace suffered a little, 2nd mile 6.02, 3rd mile was 6.12, the slowest of the day. The rest of the group were obviously suffering more though and I got away from them all and caught the next group. The last mile was simply a case of pushing for home into the wind and I had a good kick left pushing past one or two guys, last mile 6.02. Finished in 27th overall.
    I may be biased but I really though this was a fantastic race, accurate course, good depth of field, something nice when you cross the line and then up to the Pavilion for all the tea, sandwiches and nice things you could possibly eat. A very enjoyable day all round. :)

MYTD: 1150

Nice running as always, should have done your race instead of disaster of half marathon in Portlaoise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Good work today Pconn.. Delighted I went down to the race in the end, wasn't sure it was the smartest thing in the world even when I was standing at the startline. Unlucky with the headwind on the last 2 today, I found it a real drag to be honest. You paced excellently to get a fast last mile, I was ready to turn in at the clubhouse on the way down the hill!

Good catchin up with ye all, I'll be missing in action again next week, but will see ye Wednesday week. See ya then.

tang1 wrote: »
    Nice running as always, should have done your race instead of disaster of half marathon in Portlaoise.

Cheers tang, yeah it was a great race all right, definitely one for next year. Just reading about that race now in the events section, nothing worse than a long course but as someone said you will smash your half time on a proper course. Well done on the run all the same, still a good half time even though you don't want to count it cause it was long.

Good work today Pconn.. Delighted I went down to the race in the end, wasn't sure it was the smartest thing in the world even when I was standing at the startline. Unlucky with the headwind on the last 2 today, I found it a real drag to be honest. You paced excellently to get a fast last mile, I was ready to turn in at the clubhouse on the way down the hill!

Good catchin up with ye all, I'll be missing in action again next week, but will see ye Wednesday week. See ya then.

Good to see you too RFR and glad that you decided to race, you had a very good run. Will catch up with you properly when you're back, enjoy the holidays.

Great running yet again Pconn. You're certainly been living up to your log title :)

Have you got a target time for the 10 mile in the Phoenix Park?

beeduybe wrote: »
    Great running yet again Pconn. You're certainly been living up to your log title :)

Have you got a target time for the 10 mile in the Phoenix Park?

Cheers Beedybye, target for the 10 miler is around 65 minutes or so all going well, looking forward to it. Your training is going great as well, seen you're down for the Slane 10 mile, what's the target for that? Watch that hamstring!

pconn062 wrote: »
    Cheers Beedybye, target for the 10 miler is around 65 minutes or so all going well, looking forward to it. Your training is going great as well, seen you're down for the Slane 10 mile, what's the target for that? Watch that hamstring!

Best of luck with it. 65 would put you in great shape to get under 1:30 in the half.

Haven't ran the Slane race before and it's supposed to be a tough course but hope to get in under 70 mins which would be a pretty big improvement on my last 10 miler of 81 mins last year. Hamstring feeling better today but have made an appointment with the physio on Thursday to have a look at it.

8.3 miles

Session: 1 mile WU, 3x2 mile @ LT pace (6.24) off 2 minutes recovery, 1 mile WD

So the Frank Duffy 10 mile is less than 2 weeks away so wanted to put in a good week this week mileage and session wise. Headed into the track with this session in mind and really wanted to nail it, was a bit warm and windy which I was kind of glad of as I wanted a real tester. I entered my 4 mile time into a calculator which gave my LT pace as 6.25 so that was the target. First 2 mile was fairly tough, felt I was working hard and the wind was testing but got through it. 2 mins recovery and then into the second one, again the pace felt tough and I was pushing to hold it and was fairly wrecked at the end, could definitely still feel Sundays race in my legs. Took an extra minutes recovery at the end of this because I felt it was better to do this than to bail out of the session. Last one was a bit better and felt a bit stronger overall. Good session and hopefully it should stand to me.

On another non running note I was standing outside tonight and happened to see the International Space Station as it passed overhead, maybe not that interesting but for a nerd like me it was pretty cool! :) (passing every hour if anyone is interested!)

2 mile splits: 12:46, 12:47, 12:51

MYTD: 1158

9.25 miles, 7.06 avg. pace

Bit of a longer run at the club this evening and a good few hardy souls decided to brave the elements. Myself and a friend of mine headed out with my coach and another top guy at the club and managed to hang with them for 3 miles before they threw in a 6.2X mile which made us back off as we had intended on taking it easy. :eek: The rest of the run was fine but the wind was truly spectacular in places, I'm not the heaviest and during one particular section I actually got blown from one side of the road to the other like a rag doll, crazy stuff! Good solid run though over a tough hilly course.

MYTD: 1167

5.5 miles

Absolutely miserable run this evening, I headed into the track to meet a few of the lads and I wanted to head home as soon as I got in, it was LASHING rain and I was really questioning my sanity. But when I saw the kids turn up for their training it put me to shame to out on the road we headed! Nothing to report, just a miserable wet run.

MYTD: 1172.5

• Advertisement

6.5 miles, 51:24, 7.49 avg pace

But of a struggle this for the first few miles, the legs felt heavy and I just wasn't feeling it, was working hard to hold a relatively slow pace. Probably just a bit heavy legged from the (slight) increase in mileage so far this week. Felt OK by the end though, just an easy run tomorrow before my long run on Sunday.

MYTD: 1179

Advertisement