Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

5.5 miles fartlek run:

2 min, 3 min, 4 min, 3, min 2 min @ 10k pace with the same recovery

Wanted to do a bit of a session today but don't want to overdue it this week with the race on Sunday so did a sort of fartlek run, fast sections with the same recovery. Averaged 6.15 pace for the fast sections which is my 10k pace there or there abouts. Took a while to get going and didn't feel great on the first two secctions but settled in after that and cruised through the last three. The very windy conditions probably didn't help matters either. I'm really psyched up for this race on Sunday, I'm really going to try and go for it and run a new PB, I want sub 39 after three 39:XX in my recent races and I won't accept anything else! :D

MYTD: 1011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Pconn, my mate Philip that you met at the Dundalk HM is doing Swords also. He went just under 39 I think in the Samsung race so will probably match that at least this time out. It might be a good idea to say hi before the race and pace each other to sub 39?

belcarra wrote: »
    Pconn, my mate Philip that you met at the Dundalk HM is doing Swords also. He went just under 39 I think in the Samsung race so will probably match that at least this time out. It might be a good idea to say hi before the race and pace each other to sub 39?

Cheers belcarra, that's sounds like a good idea alright, I think I would recognise him from Dundalk if I seen him. It could be more of a case of me struggling to hang to him than us pacing eachother! :D He seems like a very strong runner judging by your log.

6.5 mile run, 50:43, 8.08 avg pace

Just an easy run this afternoon with a friend of mine. He wanted to do a few fast sections so did something similar to yesterdays run: 2, 3, 3, 2 minutes hard with same recovery. The paces were a lot slower than yesterday but suited him fine, between 6.40 and 7.20 ish. Felt very comfortable for me and the faster sections felt very easy. Gonna head into the club tomorrow and do something easy.

MYTD: 1017.5

4 miles

Went into the club and did a short session tonight, 6x500, I know that distance is a bit strange but our track is a strange length as it is a gravel track around the football field. Splits were around 1.36 average which is about 5.25 pace so happy enough with that. Just enough to get the legs moving but easy enough not to tire me out too much. Just easy running now until the race.

MYTD: 1022

• Advertisement

4 miles, 35:19, 8.49 avg pace

Up in Monaghan last night and today so did four lovely slow miles in the gorgeous trails of Rossmore Forest. Living where I do near the sea I never get to run in forests so it was lovely running on narrow paths with trees, rivers, lakes and loads of rabbits and birds, a good morning. I'm itching to run faster though and on the downhills today really had to hold myself back from haring down them, bring on Sunday at this stage!

MYTD: 1026

3.5 miles

Just an easy leg loosner this evening, threw in a few strides at the end to get the legs ticking over, they felt a bit heavy but should be grand after a good nights sleep.

MYTD: 1029.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 VaderMLK

Hello pconn. good luck in the run tomorrow. belclarra sent me the link to your log. you are doing some great training. i had met u before the dundalk run. i got 39:29 previously so will try and improve on that so if i see u in the crowds will attempt to keep u in sight! best of luck again
    pconn062 wrote: »
    3.5 miles

Just an easy leg loosner this evening, threw in a few strides at the end to get the legs ticking over, they felt a bit heavy but should be grand after a good nights sleep.

MYTD: 1029.5

VaderMLK wrote: »
    Hello pconn. good luck in the run tomorrow. belclarra sent me the link to your log. you are doing some great training. i had met u before the dundalk run. i got 39:29 previously so will try and improve on that so if i see u in the crowds will attempt to keep u in sight! best of luck again

Ah cheers man, yeah we should be fairly close to each other judging by our times, I'll be wearing a white and blue singlet if you see me. Best of luck with your races as well.

• Advertisement

Chip time: 40:15

To say that today was just not my day is an understatement. Headed up with the big group and got there in plenty of time to do a good warm up with a few of the lads. Met Meno, Belcarra and his friend Philip with Meno and Philip targeting sub 39 like myself. Left it a bit late to get into position but luckily some steward noticed us and said "Jaysus boys you look fit, come with me" and brought us right up to the front of the wave! :D We were only there and we were off, still a bit of congestion and took have a mile to settle down. I immediately did not feel good, felt a bit laboured and the heat was affecting me. First two miles were at a good clip though, both 6.07. The real trouble started at around 4k when I felt my hammy tighten up and then suddenly it gave me a dart and I immediately eased off. Passed a guy I knew at 4k and really felt like pulling out here but he gave me a good shout so I kept plugging away. Went through halfway in a respectable 19:25 so at this stage I was still on for sub 39.
    As soon as I hit the hills at 5-8k the hammy started screaming at me and I had to adopt a really short stride just to get up them. I was also feeling really fatigued at this stage for some reason and the wind was bad here. This stage of the race was really tough and I didn't think the course would be this hard. The hill at 7k or thereabouts nearly killed me, the leg was screaming at me and my 5th mile split was an embarrassing 7.26, :o I'll never live that down. I seemed to be able to run downhill OK so when I reached the top of the last hill at 8k I bombed it here to get home, I just wanted it over. Last mile, 6.08, .2 of a mile in 5.58 pace. Still not enough to get under the 40 which was a real kick in the teeth. Was talking to the lads after and it seems I wasn't the only one who struggled, Philip running around 39.30, missed Belcarras time. Meno came painfully close to sub 40, getting a 40.00 chip time which sucks but that course and conditions are worth at least a minute so sub 39 is only a matter of time and finding the right race.
    I was gutted after the race with the result but after talking to all the lads from my club, everyone seemed to suffer. Even my coach who thought he was in sub 33 shape came in at 34.0X. To be honest I really didn't enjoy the race, didn't like the course, even the flat bits at the dual carriage way weren't great. But very well organised as usual. Anyway move on, I have the Louth Championships on Tuesday so will run the 1500m I'd say the it's the Carlingford 5k in less than two weeks.

MYTD: 1036.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Nice to meet you today Pconn. You didn't get the result today that your training deserves.
    Hopefully we can have a few more battles over the next few months.

Cheers Meno, nice to meet you too. Well done again on the result but you can forget that now and target a faster 10k soon. I heard you mention Rathfarnham 5k today so we can have a re-race that day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sorry to hear about the tough time, the one thing I will say is you learn an awful lot more from a bad race than you do a good one. You asked the questions of yourself mentally, by choosing to go on when you had the choice to drop out when everything seemed to be going against you says alot.

That will definitely stand to you in future races. best of look in the louth championships

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Even my coach who thought he was in sub 33 shape came in at 34.0X.

Thats DJC right? I was surprised to see him running that time alright, he's usually a lot better. Hard luck on the race, if it was any consolation I dont think theres a single person I know who had a good day and got what they were after.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

yeah same, i couldnt run on the day cause of a slight niggle but i went to watch my friends, none of them were happy with their times, they found the heat & hills quite tough

tunguska wrote: »
    Thats DJC right? I was surprised to see him running that time alright, he's usually a lot better. Hard luck on the race, if it was any consolation I dont think theres a single person I know who had a good day and got what they were after.

Yeah the man himself tunguska, he said he hit the hills and just settled into the comfort zone as opposed to pushing himself like he usually would. Was a tough race alright but will just put this one down to experience and try to earn from it.

Edit: Just seen your result on the Fingal 10k event page, well done on your 6th place, savage running in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Unlucky yesterday pconn but everybody seemed to suffer so I wouldn't feel overly disappointed. Any other 10k's coming up to have another go at sub 39?

beeduybe wrote: »
    Unlucky yesterday pconn but everybody seemed to suffer so I wouldn't feel overly disappointed. Any other 10k's coming up to have another go at sub 39?

Cheers beeduybe, no plans for another 10k yet, running a 5k and 4 mile soon then it will be the race series 10 mile and 1/2 marathon. If I see a good one somewhere though I might tip along and give it another go.
    Well done on the 1,000 mile mark, the improvements you've made so far this year are very impressive and just show what you can do with consistent training.

Unlucky yesterday, when your coach found it tough going that says it all. You have sub 39 in those legs with the quality training your doing.

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Unlucky yesterday, when your coach found it tough going that says it all. You have sub 39 in those legs with the quality training your doing.

Yeah I hope so tang, will just have to find the right race and give it another crack. How is your own training going? Any plans to start a training log? :)

Yeah I hope so tang, will just have to find the right race and give it another crack. How is your own training going? Any plans to start a training log? :)

So far so good with training, heading out on 15 mile LSR in few hours. Dublin Marathon is my goal for rest of the year. As regards a log, i keep one alright but its old style pen & paper for me.

AM: 3.2 miles, 25:43, 8:04 avg. pace

Just an easy run to make sure everything felt OK after the race on Sunday.

PM: The annual Louth T+F champioships were on this evening and there was a good crew from the club heading up to Bush track (yes it's really called that! ;)). My main event was the 1500m as I had ran one before at the National league and really enjoyed it so was looking for a PB. Also signed up for the 3000m as a few of the lads were running it so thought it would be fun. Also put my name down for the 800m which was the last event, had no real intentions of running it as I presumed I would be fecked after the other races but stuck my name down anyway. One thing to say before I go on is about the weather which kinda put a dampner on the whole evening for the athletes and even more so the spectators. It absolutely LASHED for the entire duration of the event and made things pretty miserable. You just can't count on a good evening even in July in Ireland.

1500m: 4:54:XX (new PB)

First up was the 1500 and this was the one I was really here for, a good group lined up with some very good runners including a guy from my club who eventually won the race. The start was ferocious and it took half a lap to settle down. I settled in behind a group that included two of my cllubmates and covered the first lap in around 73 seconds and I felt good. I pushed to the front of the group at the end of the second lap, and got a gap of about 5 metres. The next group was about 5 metres in front me so I pushed on the try and close the gap. The breathing was getting heavy now and I was pushing with everything I had. Into the last lap and the group in front had pushed on so I was on my own, a little glance behind told me I was well clear so pushed for the line for a new PB by six seconds! :D

3000m: 10:57:XX

Put dry clothes on after the 1500 and tried to stay warm. The rain picked up a lot and I really did not feel like running the 3000m. We nearly missed the start as the rain fecked up the loudspeaker system and due to the bad weather they decided to run the women and men together. Just got to the start line and got the singlet on and bang went the gun and we were off. There was a big group running and settled in with a pack consisting of runners I recognised and who usually beat me on the roads. But during the second lap the pace felt really pedestrian so I pushed to the front and put a gap between us. I was unsure about this because I spent the rest of the race looking over my shoulder expecting them to chase me down, which they never did so I'm not entirely sure what their tactice were. :confused: The big difference between this race and the 1500m was the wind which was now very strong down the back straight. I closed in on another group so get some protection and cruised though the net few laps. The legs were heavy though and when the lads broke for the line on the last lap I couldn't go with them and finished a second outisde of a PB. Not overly bothered as it was a secondary race and happy with my position. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that if I hadn't sat in with the group for the first two laps at the slower pace I probably would have got a PB, but I was just happy to beat them.

800m: 2:29:62

Decided to run this with a few lads from the club just for the craic, knew the time would be bad due to the other races but I never ran this distance before so was just curious. About 13 of us lined up and I had no idea how to run it so just went out hard with everyone else. The pace was crazy and the legs felt like jelly. Went through the first lap in about 71 and I was struggling to hold on. Got in behind two other guys who dragged me around the final lap and staggered down the straight. Crossed the line in a rather unimpressive 2:29 but not too bad considering the two races beforehand!

Overall I was very happy with the evening, especially the 1500m, I really enjoy that distance and would like to attempt a few more if I can find them anywhere. Even though the 3k was a bit slow, it was good workout and will hopefully stand to me in my next 5k on Friday week. The rain did kind of kill the evening though because it was just so heavy and getting wet between the races was not very nice. Will hopefully have the positions in the next few days.

MYTD: 1043.5

tang1 wrote: »
    So far so good with training, heading out on 15 mile LSR in few hours. Dublin Marathon is my goal for rest of the year. As regards a log, i keep one alright but its old style pen & paper for me.

I find marathon training very gruelling so I give credit to anyone who takes it seriously. Hopefully you will give the shorter stuff a bit of a crack after the marathon as you seem to have natural speed.

AM: 3.2 miles, 25:43, 8:04 avg. pace

Just an easy run to make sure everything felt OK after the race on Sunday.

PM: The annual Louth T+F champioships were on this evening and there was a good crew from the club heading up to Bush track (yes it's really called that! ;)). My main event was the 1500m as I had ran one before at the National league and really enjoyed it so was looking for a PB. Also signed up for the 3000m as a few of the lads were running it so thought it would be fun. Also put my name down for the 800m which was the last event, had no real intentions of running it as I presumed I would be fecked after the other races but stuck my name down anyway. One thing to say before I go on is about the weather which kinda put a dampner on the whole evening for the athletes and even more so the spectators. It absolutely LASHED for the entire duration of the event and made things pretty miserable. You just can't count on a good evening even in July in Ireland.

1500m: 4:54:XX (new PB)

First up was the 1500 and this was the one I was really here for, a good group lined up with some very good runners including a guy from my club who eventually won the race. The start was ferocious and it took half a lap to settle down. I settled in behind a group that included two of my cllubmates and covered the first lap in around 73 seconds and I felt good. I pushed to the front of the group at the end of the second lap, and got a gap of about 5 metres. The next group was about 5 metres in front me so I pushed on the try and close the gap. The breathing was getting heavy now and I was pushing with everything I had. Into the last lap and the group in front had pushed on so I was on my own, a little glance behind told me I was well clear so pushed for the line for a new PB by six seconds! :D

3000m: 10:57:XX

Put dry clothes on after the 1500 and tried to stay warm. The rain picked up a lot and I really did not feel like running the 3000m. We nearly missed the start as the rain fecked up the loudspeaker system and due to the bad weather they decided to run the women and men together. Just got to the start line and got the singlet on and bang went the gun and we were off. There was a big group running and settled in with a pack consisting of runners I recognised and who usually beat me on the roads. But during the second lap the pace felt really pedestrian so I pushed to the front and put a gap between us. I was unsure about this because I spent the rest of the race looking over my shoulder expecting them to chase me down, which they never did so I'm not entirely sure what their tactice were. :confused: The big difference between this race and the 1500m was the wind which was now very strong down the back straight. I closed in on another group so get some protection and cruised though the net few laps. The legs were heavy though and when the lads broke for the line on the last lap I couldn't go with them and finished a second outisde of a PB. Not overly bothered as it was a secondary race and happy with my position. The only thing that bothered me was the fact that if I hadn't sat in with the group for the first two laps at the slower pace I probably would have got a PB, but I was just happy to beat them.

800m: 2:29:62

Decided to run this with a few lads from the club just for the craic, knew the time would be bad due to the other races but I never ran this distance before so was just curious. About 13 of us lined up and I had no idea how to run it so just went out hard with everyone else. The pace was crazy and the legs felt like jelly. Went through the first lap in about 71 and I was struggling to hold on. Got in behind two other guys who dragged me around the final lap and staggered down the straight. Crossed the line in a rather unimpressive 2:29 but not too bad considering the two races beforehand!

Overall I was very happy with the evening, especially the 1500m, I really enjoy that distance and would like to attempt a few more if I can find them anywhere. Even though the 3k was a bit slow, it was good workout and will hopefully stand to me in my next 5k on Friday week. The rain did kind of kill the evening though because it was just so heavy and getting wet between the races was not very nice. Will hopefully have the positions in the next few days.

MYTD: 1043.5

Great running, you like punishing yourself anyway, 3 races in one evening:eek: It'll stand to you in the long run, looking at few 5ks after marathon alright. I'd love to break 19.30 by years end.

6.5 miles easy

Into group training tonight with the intention of taking it easy as the legs felt quite tired all day. I did just that and had a nice run around the roads with my brother and the weather was glorious. Shame the weather couldn't have been like this for the championships last night. :rolleyes: Gonna head into the club and do some sort of session tomorrow, will wait and see how the legs feel before I decide what I will do.

MYTD: 1050

• Registered Users Posts: 16 VaderMLK

Hey pconn. I see u made the photo from the swords 10k in the indo FIT magazine. Well done in the louth champs

VaderMLK wrote: »
    Hey pconn. I see u made the photo from the swords 10k in the indo FIT magazine. Well done in the louth champs

Ah Jesus, giving the way I felt the whole way through that race, that can't be a pretty photo! Hope you're recovering well from the race Philip, that was a very good run on that course in those conditions.

6 miles

Session: 1.5 mile WU, 5x1k @ 5k pace off 90 sec recovery, 1 mile WD
    Splits: 3.39, 3.39, 3.37, 3.37, 3.32

The legs felt good today when I woke up so decided to head into the club this evening to meet the lads for a session. A few of the lads were doing 400s and 800s but me and another fellow are both doing the Carlingford 5k next Friday so we wanted to do 5x1k. Planned time was around 3.40 for the k's, which is about 5.50 mile pace in old money, and would give 18:20 for 5k. Settled into the first one and the pace felt fairly easy, probably helped by the faster running at the championships the other night. The recovery was active, either jogging or walking. Same story on the second one, felt good and we were working well together. Third one was a touch quicker @ 3.37 and felt a bit harder so we said we would pull back a bit for the fourth one and give the last one a good lash. The fourth rep felt easier but still finished in the same time as the third, 3.37 :confused:. Gave the last one a bit of a lash and while it didn't feel easy, the extra pace came fairly easily to give us 3.32.
    Very happy with the session overall, felt very strong throughout and the splits are much better than the last time I did this session before the Bohermeen 5k where I struggled to keep the pace under 3.40. Looking forward to the race now, going to do a bit of a proper taper for it next week as well as I think that could have been one of the problems with the 10k at the weekend, the legs were a bit tired going into it.

MYTD: 1056

• Advertisement

5.5 miles, 46:23, 8.17 avg pace

Nice handy run this evening, meant to be a bit slower but felt very comfy at this pace so stuck with it. Had a bit of an incident on the road though, met a car coming the same direction as me who started to slow down as there was another car coming the other way as well but she then decided to put the boot down and fly by me, hitting my arm with her wing mirror as she went. I was in as close to the hedge as I could be and got a real shock. She then drove a bit up the road and turned round to see if I was still standing and then sped away. :mad: Really shook me, she wasn't some young one either, about 50 in a big fancy car with her mother or someone in the passenger seat. That's a little too much excitement for me on a recovery run! :eek:

MYTD: 1061.5

Advertisement