Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclist going over board with lighting

Options

Comments

Cyclists should be banned from cycling at night, if you dont have a car then use public transport, being on the road is a danger to themselves and others.

B7c2v.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Cyclists should be banned from cycling at night, if you dont have a car then use public transport, being on the road is a danger to themselves and others.

That's the most idiotic statement I've ever read here. Congratulations. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

RobAMerc wrote: »
    MugMugs wrote: »
    And they're off!

????? Am I being branded a cycling evangelist now ?

Probably not actually. I drive over 30k miles a year. I cycle the rest for exercise and for the adrenaline kick of which lamp will take me out. Reflectively, you're statement isn't far off the truth. Which is sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was blinded by a cyclist with handlebar mounted lights. They where brighter than the lights on my motorcycle.

I think what the problem is is that the lights have no dip ability, the cyclist needs to see on dark roads but should show consideration to other road users and switch the powerful lights off or aim them lower when meeting traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭gk5000

Yes was blinded (and shocked/surprised) by a cyclist on the Oldcourt/Killakee road yesterday evening.

Does anyone post in the cycling forums, to alert to the fact that this is dangerous, similar to not dipping car lights - or even those ejjits who shine led's at pilots.

And I guess they could/should be done for something like ..inconsideration to other road users.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Just like fog lights...

Oh no she didn't!!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

On the original topic some head torches can be very blinding and if worn at a "useful" angle by a cyclist it would be very hard to avoid pointing in an oncoming motorists eyes if you were looking around normally.

gbee wrote: »
    Over safety often has a negative effect. The blinding light could easily lead to disaster for both parties concerned.

A blinded motorist tends to panic and drive towards the light ~ it's a factor in head-on night-time collisions. One will remember how hard it was to steer to one's own side of the road when learning to drive at night.

Too much reflective gear is also not good in total darkness, full body light clothing is effective an reassuring to the driver, A few reflective strips alone can look like road signage and be ignored by drivers.

The same issue applies with cyclists. A blinded cyclist will instinctively move further out from the edge of the road.

THIS is one of the most powerful arguments against a focus on telling cyclists to use hi viz/retroreflective clothing rather than just getting them to use legal lights.

The problem with hi viz/retroreflective clothing is that it can make motorists reluctant to dip their headlights - the reflective object "disappears". People who wear hi viz/retroreflective clothing rather than use lights may make themselves more vulnerable to blinding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Right so the lads lights were angled wrong, like about 90% of cars on the road right now :mad:, what did you do after the incident? if it was me i would have stopped and let the cyclist know that his lights are blinding, how the hell else is he supposed to know?? this is coming from someone who loves cars but also spends alot of time on the roads on my bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

please tell me your a troll, with a stupid comment like that i hope you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

projectgtr wrote: »
    Right so the lads lights were angled wrong, like about 90% of cars on the road right now :mad:, what did you do after the incident? if it was me i would have stopped and let the cyclist know that his lights are blinding, how the hell else is he supposed to know?? this is coming from someone who loves cars but also spends alot of time on the roads on my bike

Happened so quick I didn't have time to think about stopping. Wasn't the best point in the road to be stopping either!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

There seems to be a lot of cyclists who are also motorists/motorists who are also cyclists.
    We need more legislation to force cyclists to behave with due consideration to other road users. Personally I would like a new regime where cyclists who have drivers licence would have penalty points applied to their motoring licence when being selfish inconsiderate road users. Younger cyclists would have their acculated points applied when they apply for their first licence. It would result in a complete change of behaviour by cyclists.
    Their rights on teh road would be matched with responsibilities!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

There seems to be a lot of cyclists who are also motorists/motorists who are also cyclists.
    We need more legislation to force cyclists to behave with due consideration to other road users. Personally I would like a new regime where cyclists who have drivers licence would have penalty points applied to their motoring licence when being selfish inconsiderate road users. Younger cyclists would have their acculated points applied when they apply for their first licence. It would result in a complete change of behaviour by cyclists.

Could say the same for horse + sulky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

It would never work though and is a bit unrealistic. I dont think penalty points would solve anything. Any cyclist heading out in the dark doesnt do it to endanger themselves and would like to be as careful as possible. A bit more awareness is whats needed I think, Blinding oncoming traffic is just as dangerous as having no light for the cyclist. If they knew they were doing it I am sure 99% of cyclists would adjust their lamps. I would be more in favour of a fine for pedestrians walking along unlit roads with no visibilty vest/jacket/armband at night because speaking from personal experience I have been left shaking more than once after coming along a country road to meet someone walking against me and not see them until the last second and then have to take evasive action. Realistically that will probably never happen either though. Havnt had any close calls with cyclists really but I can see where ye are coming from with it, Have a led flash light and you would be dazzled for a few seconds if you shone it on your eyes. Its of no benefit to the cyclist to dazzle oncoming motorists because in a collision the cyclist is always going to be the worse off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'm pretty sure that cyclist may not display a light further then 5 feet above the road, its in the road traffic act somewhere.

This would rule out many of the stupidly bright helmet lights designed for trail use if it was actually enforced.

However, I believe its the lesser of two evils, I'd rather be lit up then go ninja on the roads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

He probably had his headlight misaligned. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'm not sure if it's funny or not that you don't know this, but a bike is classified as a vehicle and is subject to the road traffic act, so any offenses committed on a bike can be applied to a driving license. This would include driving without reasonable consideration for road users.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/injured-cyclist-gets-driving-ban-for-breaking-red-light-2228117.html

gk5000 wrote: »
    Does anyone post in the cycling forums, to alert to the fact that this is dangerous, similar to not dipping car lights - or even those ejjits who shine led's at pilots.

And I guess they could/should be done for something like ..inconsideration to other road users.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Del2005 wrote: »

I think what the problem is is that the lights have no dip ability

...actually, the ones I've seen, do have a dip facility.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

I only found this out in the Cycling fourm:o

galwaytt wrote: »

Rarely as easy to use as the dip facility in a car though. It would be nice to have a light that had one dedicated switch for changing between high and medium settings when meeting oncoming traffic, rather than having to cycle through high/blinding 1000 lumen tactical strobe/ surprise! now I'm off and you're in the ditch/low/medium/high.

I suppose you can just angle it down manually but that's a bit of a faff as well.

Anyhoo I digress. The best solution I've found is to ensure that the light is aimed slightly down and left, like the dipped beam in a car. Helmet mounted lights are great for "dipping" as all you've to do is point your head left a bit. Sounds like the cyclist in the OP wasn't aware how blinding his light was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I see your facepalm and raise you this:
    131585348413.Epic_Face_Palm.jpg
    -Chris- wrote: »
    Oh no she didn't!!! :D

:o (only remembered about that after (and I wasn't discussing them anyway :P;)))

I'm not sure if it's funny or not that you don't know this, but a bike is classified as a vehicle and is subject to the road traffic act, so any offenses committed on a bike can be applied to a driving license. This would include driving without reasonable consideration for road users.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/injured-cyclist-gets-driving-ban-for-breaking-red-light-2228117.html
    I was aware of this case. My point is that the penalty points system should be extended to offences committed while cycling.
    The case you linked was an extreme one. A crackdown on the regular every day offences of red light jumping, cycling on a footpath, lack of lighting, cycling without due consideration and dagerous cycling etc by allowing cops to dish out points without necessarily "having" to go to court to prosecute would radically improve cycling behaviour!

I was aware of this case. My point is that the penalty points system should be extended to offences committed while cycling.
    The case you linked was an extreme one. A crackdown on the regular every day offences of red light jumping, cycling on a footpath, lack of lighting, cycling without due consideration and dagerous cycling etc by allowing cops to dish out points without necessarily "having" to go to court to prosecute would radically improve cycling behaviour!

I don't think you understood what I said.

The penalty point system is ALREADY applicable to offenses committed while cycling, as a bicycle is a vehicle under the RTA. All that's required is enforcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I suggest you do a bit of research into high intensity LED's then, you'll find it much easier to believe.
    Agreed. A chap in work has this very small led lensor/snap on LED light and its nearly as a bright as a main beam of a car. Series thing altogether.

What happens if some doesn't have, and never intends to get, a driver's licence?

The punishment for someone, who has (or will have) a licence, breaking the lights will be greater than the punishment for someone who doesn't have (and will never have) a licence.

It wouldn't really be fair imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Bleeding cyclists

The rear of the new saab 95 is really distracting at night

I'd agree, thankfully they're as rare as tits on a boar so not really a problem!

What happens if some doesn't have, and never intends to get, a driver's licence?

The punishment for someone, who has (or will have) a licence, breaking the lights will be greater than the punishment for someone who doesn't have (and will never have) a licence.

Fines are still applicable for all offenses - and if brought to court, I'd imagine the judge would choose to set a higher fine for those without a license for fairness. And any points would be accumulated until such a time where they did get a license.

It's not really the penalty points that deter people (until you've high multiples that start altering insurance quotes or risk a chance of being banned) - it's having to fork out money.

The point is to improve behaviour on the roads. I would guess that only a small minority have no intention of ever having a drivers licence. My proposal would have a deterrent effect on the majority and would lead to a noticeable improvement in cyclist behaviour - it would become the norm to see them behaving themselves on the road

The point is to improve behaviour on the roads. I would guess that only a small minority have no intention of ever having a drivers licence. My proposal would have a deterrent effect on the majority and would lead to a noticeable improvement in cyclist behaviour - it would become the norm to see them behaving themselves on the road
    But still, the law can't be seen to be unfair or uneven in it's punishment based on whether you'll have a driving licence or not.
    I'm sure there'd be all sorts of challenges to the "convictions" if it was implemented.

• Advertisement

I don't think you understood what I said.

The penalty point system is ALREADY applicable to offenses committed while cycling, as a bicycle is a vehicle under the RTA. All that's required is enforcement.
    The penalty point system is specific to drivers of motorised vehicles - look them up here: http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Penalty-points/Types-of-offences/

Advertisement