Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclist going over board with lighting

Options
  • 30-12-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Fair enough, I understand the whole "Be safe be seen" concept but this was beyond the joke.

Driving from where I live to town I can go down a kinda bad road, but used ALOT by people. At two points the road narrows a small bit due to trees being there.

Anywho, along I drive and come up to one of the narrow bits and this incredibly bright light (As blinding as a full beam of a truck) appears, I genuinely could not see a thing and then I noticed a smaller light lower down, and then I spotted the high vis jacket. I nearly crashed into the bloody tree because of it.

As I say being seen on a badly lit road is essential (I met someone walkin on the same road without any hi vis on them last week and they were impossible to see) but the light of this cyclist was beyond a joke.

/Rant

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bleeding cyclists

The rear of the new saab 95 is really distracting at night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Well he proved a point you nearly crashed into the tree rather than him :D.... fair play to him a cyclist can never have enough lights:;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

As a car enthusiast and a cyclist, you can never be too lit up on a bike. Assuming that whatever lighting he had on his bike was powered by Duracell batteries, I find it hard to believe that it was more blinding than the full beam of a truck, no offence intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

As a car enthusiast and a cyclist, you can never be too lit up on a bike. Assuming that whatever lighting he had on his bike was powered by Duracell batteries, I find it hard to believe that it was more blinding that the full beam of a truck, no offence intended.

It was on his head , what ever it was. I'm not a man to lie just for a forum post, I genuinely could not see a thing, it was a very, very blinding light. Maybe he/she was looking at me as I drove close and it followed his head and beamed straight at me, but it was lethal. I wouldn't want to crash into a poxy tree :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I came across a neighbour out on a bike wearing one of them headband yokes, it was fairly blinding and he was a good 50 metres away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

It was on his head , what ever it was. I'm not a man to lie just for a forum post, I genuinely could not see a thing, it was a very, very blinding light. Maybe he/she was looking at me as I drove close and it followed his head and beamed straight at me, but it was lethal. I wouldn't want to crash into a poxy tree :mad:

Fair enough, I suppose it could be like a lad shining a maglite into your eyes then you wouldn't see a lot else. Was out for a spin on the bike today, was lit up and with a hi viz and I was still bricking it when it got dark, dangerous enough weather to be out on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭maddness

The cyclist was too visible.....heard it all now.;)

maddness wrote: »
    The cyclist was too visible.....heard it all now.;)

That's such a stupid post.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Also speaking as a cyclist/motorist, you would be surprised how bright is the light from a high intensity led.

These are 1200 lumen and you can get brighter.

Hey OP. Sounds lile the guy may have had something like this on his helmet. I have one as well. It has a very tightly focused beam and is blinding when pointed straight at you. For this reason I try to avoid aiming it straight into motorists eyes (unless I think they haven't seen me, e.g. when they're exiting a side road in front of me).

Anyhoo I guess all you can do in this situation is what you would do if blinded by an oncoming motorist who didn't dip their lights. Keep your gaze down and to the left, and flash your fulls briefly to let them know they are blinding you. Beyond that I don't think there's much you can do. I don't think there's much legislation re bike lights being too bright, normally the oppossite is the problem!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

As a car enthusiast and a cyclist, you can never be too lit up on a bike. Assuming that whatever lighting he had on his bike was powered by Duracell batteries, I find it hard to believe that it was more blinding than the full beam of a truck, no offence intended.

I suggest you do a bit of research into high intensity LED's then, you'll find it much easier to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You need to catch up.

I cycle, and a friend of mine does - his 800 lumen light is as bright as the headlight on my Harley.......and he's changing up to a 1200 one. Poorly aimed, they are, frankly, dangerous. Someone is going to get hit, yet, for want of a bit of care in using them

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Indeed, I sell Klarus XT10 tactical flashlights in my shop, see here: http://taclight.co.uk/klarus-torches/xt10-xml.html

470 lumens and they'd burn your eyes out of your head within 20 metres, genuinely impossibly bright flashlights.

But as mentioned above, there are completely unsuitable for use on a bicycle, even if you could clip one to your head or bike I would highly suggest against it, its like driving with full beams on the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭kirving

Since I got a 1 Watt Strobe LED back bike light, I notice cars give me about double the room on the road. I was flashed by a Garda motorbike before for aiming the my front light too high just after I got it.

I don't mean to blind people with the rear one, but if it forces a driver to notice me I'm all for it. Poorly aimed however, yes they can be dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,121 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think its silly saying that cyclists are too visible, but they should show some consideration themselves. Nothing worse if they turn into the equivalent of those idiots who drive with full beams on.

I wish some of the pedestrians would take a leaf out of the cyclists book. I nearly knocked a guy down a couple of weeks back along a country road. This road has no street lighting of course, but he was wearing very dark clothes, walking a black dog (I kid you not), and has no torch or high-vis vest on. There is no pavement, only a grass verge. I would say I was inches away from him. Got a fright.

Some people are thick as fcuk. Taking risks with their lives for the few quid it would take to buy a reflective vest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Anyone who wants a magnificent torch for cheap just put cree torch into ebay. 6 of my dads workmates have bought various ones upon seeing ours. Amazing light from an smd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I use to have ( broke :( ) a petzl head torch for hill walking and mountaineering, I've never seen a more powerful lamp. Could very well have been wearing something like that if it was head height. Be mad to wear on a bike though. My bike lamps are bright enough for me to be well spotted but you have to be careful with the aim.

As for ninja ped's, there are some mental people out there.
    If I'm walking anywhere at night I throw on my hi-vis cycling jacket (not vest) and it's amazing how much more attention I get.
    Why do you only have to be safe on a bike? Mad...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Anyone who wants a magnificent torch for cheap just put cree torch into ebay. 6 of my dads workmates have bought various ones upon seeing ours. Amazing light from an smd
    Lidl had them last week for 15 euro or so, 3 D cells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

If you seen him sure that's the point? Them people going around in cars and bikes with the hid(I think) lights should be put off the road. Ya do be blind

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

seanybiker wrote: »
    If you seen him sure that's the point? Them people going around in cars and bikes with the hid(I think) lights should be put off the road. Ya do be blind

An eye for an eye then? He can be seen safely. Dazzling the operator of a tonne and a half piece of metal while moving is a pretty bad idea in my opinion as I as the cyclist won't come out of it better than him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Just like fog lights, cycle light can be blinding if they're aimed wrong. They should be aimed at the road and slightly off to the left so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic, not straight ahead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Over safety often has a negative effect. The blinding light could easily lead to disaster for both parties concerned.

A blinded motorist tends to panic and drive towards the light ~ it's a factor in head-on night-time collisions. One will remember how hard it was to steer to one's own side of the road when learning to drive at night.

Too much reflective gear is also not good in total darkness, full body light clothing is effective an reassuring to the driver, A few reflective strips alone can look like road signage and be ignored by drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

as a car nut and a commuter cyclist I can honestly say that if you had a WW2 searchlight on you half of the toolbags out there would still not see you or see you and still pull out in front of you :mad:

sorry for the rant but it's sickening ( as are driving standards here generally )

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

RobAMerc wrote: »
    as a car nut and a commuter cyclist I can honestly say that if you had a WW2 searchlight on you half of the toolbags out there would still not see you or see you and still pull out in front of you :mad:

sorry for the rant but it's sickening ( as are driving standards here generally )

And they're off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I think the statistics speak for themselves in this regard http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Deaths-injuries-on-Irish-roads/- more pedestrians than cyclists getting killed on the roads, better to be seen and be safe than not at all IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

MugMugs wrote: »
    And they're off!

????? Am I being branded a cycling evangelist now ?

I think the statistics speak for themselves in this regard http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Road-Safety/Our-Research/Deaths-injuries-on-Irish-roads/- more pedestrians than cyclists getting killed on the roads, better to be seen and be safe than not at all IMO

It's not better safe be seen when you take into account what I have highlighted below. The bright light caused me to swerve and slam on the breaks, I think I'd have done alot more damaged if I lost control that what the cyclist would have done. His HI Vis jacket shone and that's the only way I knew it was a cyclist from a bloody truck!
    MugMugs wrote: »
    An eye for an eye then? He can be seen safely. Dazzling the operator of a tonne and a half piece of metal while moving is a pretty bad idea in my opinion as I as the cyclist won't come out of it better than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I think the statistics speak for themselves in this regard - more pedestrians than cyclists getting killed on the roads, better to be seen and be safe than not at all IMO

Better to take avoiding action and assume one cannot be seen. Better not walk between truck and trailer or behind a reversing truck with bleeper and lights flashing and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

I think cyclists should use a red light for the rear, it seems to be less intense.

My headstrapped light is definately too bright to shine into somebodies eyes, there's a warning on the packet against doing it, but even at a distance (especially in the dark) it's a very focussed light (they are magnified*).

*or whatever the opposite of magnified is...focused?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Cyclists should be banned from cycling at night, if you dont have a car then use public transport, being on the road is a danger to themselves and others.

Advertisement