Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Soldiers who deserted during WWII to join the British Army & Starvation order

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Fuinseog wrote: »
    Does The Times also publish letters that argues against a pardon?

This was the Tommy Graham letter yesterday

Sir, – While we should all be grateful for those who fought and defeated fascism during the second World War, including the circa 5,000 men who deserted the Irish Army to join the British army, the issue of a pardon is not as straightforward as your Editorial (January 26th) maintains.

Emergency Powers Order No 362 did not “strip these soldiers of pensions”; they lost their entitlements from the date they absconded. Not only were their entitlements paid in full up to that date but the Southern authorities made administrative provision to facilitate the payment of British pensions thereafter.

True, those deemed to have absconded (after a 180-day threshold, nearly six months), were barred from government-funded employment for a period of seven years. Apart from the stigma this was an irrelevance in practical terms since their desertion would have denied them a military discharge certificate, the necessary prerequisite for securing any employment. And in the context of the high unemployment and mass emigration of the post-war years it is a moot point as to what difference EPO 362 made in practical terms.

One of the grievances cited by campaigners (and your Editorial) is that these men were not dealt with through the normal channels of military justice. But would the rounding up, court martialing and imprisonment of nearly 5,000 men have been preferable, especially at a time when places like the Curragh were bursting at the seams with internees? Like neutrality itself, de Valera’s “one-size-fits-all” approach was a pragmatic (and fiscally neutral) response to a difficult and complex situation.

If there is to be a pardon we need to be clear what we are saying “sorry” for. Minister for Defence Alan Shatter’s speech on Monday at the opening of The Shoah in Europe exhibition provides a clue. “In the context of the Holocaust, Irish neutrality was a principle of moral bankruptcy”.

This is a nonsense and a classic case of reading history backwards. The war was fought by the Allies not to end the Holocaust but to defeat the Axis powers militarily. And, morally bankrupt or not, neutrality was the favoured policy of nearly every state at the time. Indeed, the two states that provided the vast bulk of Allied manpower, the USSR and US, were neutral – until they were attacked.

As a mark of respect for all those Irishmen who served at the time, whether on the beaches of Normandy or at home, this ill-conceived proposal should be dropped. – Yours, etc,

TOMMY GRAHAM,

Editor,

History Ireland,

Palmerston Place,

Dublin 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

There was a riposte from the opposite side of argument in todays paper:
    Sir, – Tommy Graham, editor of History Ireland(January 27th), challenges Minister for Defence Alan Shatter’s assertion that “in the context of the Holocaust , Irish neutrality was a principle of moral bankruptcy”, on the grounds that the Allies fought the war not to end the Holocaust but to defeat the Axis powers militarily.

The Allies also fought to liberate Europe from German occupation and to end the Nazi regime of terror. That the Nazis were engaged in large-scale atrocities against civilian populations, including murdering many Jews, was well-known during the war. That is why the Allies were publicly committed to the trial of Nazi war criminals – a goal achieved at Nuremburg in 1946 – trials that Éamon de Valera was opposed to.

Mr Graham is also incorrect to state that neutrality was the favoured policy of every state at the time. All the member states of the British Commonwealth, except Ireland, declared war on Germany voluntarily in 1939. Later in the war many other states chose to join the Allied coalition, but not de Valera’s Ireland. While the United States was neutral until it was attacked by Japan on December 7th, 1941, by that time it was supporting Britain with virtually all the means at its disposal short of war. That is why Hitler declared war on the United States on December 11th, 1941.

The 5,000 Irish Army deserters who joined the British forces during the war were part of a 70,000-strong contingent of Irish citizens who fought with the Allies to defend not just Britain but Ireland from Nazi conquest and occupation. A pardon for the deserters is the least the current Government can do in recognition of this magnificent Irish contribution to the Allied cause. – Yours, etc,

Prof GEOFFREY ROBERTS,
    School of History,
    University College Cork.

His profile on UCC website:
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/history/staff/faculty/groberts/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

CDfm wrote: »
    This was the Tommy Graham letter yesterday

Thanks. I got out of the habit of the reading the Times online when they started charging for viewing, a practice they have since stopped.

dubhthach wrote: »

has anyone read his

"Ireland and the Second World War" (Four Courts, 2000).

any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dr.Nightdub

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    What on earth is the Fist Sea Lord? - Actually, I don't want to know...

I'd assume he's the person responsible for dispensing rum, sodomy and the lash

• Advertisement

dubhthach wrote: »

Geoffrey Roberts was born in Deptford, south London in 1952. His father worked as a labourer at the local power station and his mother as a cleaner and tea lady. A pupil of Addey & Stanhope Grammar School he left aged 16 and started his working life as a clerk with the Greater London Council. In the 1970s he was an International Relations undergraduate at North Staffordshire Polytechnic and postgraduate research student at the London School of Economics. In the 1980s he worked in the Education Department of NALGO, the public sector trade union.
    Geoffrey returned to academic life in the 1990s following the publication of his acclaimed first book, The Unholy Alliance: Stalin’s Pact with Hitler (1989). Many books and articles followed: The Soviet Union and the Origins of the Second World War (1995); The Soviet Union in World Politics, 1945-1991 (1998); and Victory at Stalingrad: The Battle That Changed History (2002). In 2006 Yale University Press published his Stalin’s Wars: From World War to Cold War, 1939-1953.

I haven't read any of his work but surely Ireland is not his field of expertise and he should know enough history that India & Pakistan made their support conditional on independence & that the Baltic states did not retain their independence after WWII.

I have no problem with a British historian having a pro-British view and I imagine that he is also pro restoring the statue of Queen Victoria to its rightful place and renaming UCC Queens University Cork too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I haven't read any of his work but surely Ireland is not his field of expertise and he should know enough history that India & Pakistan made their support conditional on independence & that the Baltic states did not retain their independence after WWII.

I have no problem with a British historian having a pro-British view and I imagine that he is also pro restoring the statue of Queen Victoria to its rightful place and renaming UCC Queens University Cork too.

A few points on Geoff - he is currently the head of the school of History in UCC (bit too early to judge how he is doing, but IMHO a vast improvement on the previous incumbent).
    His area of expertise is Stalin - he 'admits' to being a communist in his youth but apparently he got better :p- but his knowledge of internal Irish politics is limited and that of wider contexts of specifically Irish history nearly non-existent.

I doubt he wants Victoria's statue put anywhere but the bottom of the river Lee but having said that I suspect his background did provide some motivation for writing in response to Tommy's letter.

I doubt he wants Victoria's statue put anywhere but the bottom of the river Lee but having said that I suspect his background did provide some motivation for writing in response to Tommy's letter.

The Vicky bit was gratuitous but he is a bit more of an imperialist than he is letting on.

The Vicky bit was gratuitous but he is a bit more of an imperialist than he is letting on.

I have noticed a tendency among many educated in the UK, in particular in England, - even professional historians - to just not 'get' Ireland - it's not just a question of not understanding nuance, but an inability to comprehend things from our perspective. To be fair, I imagine the same charge could be made against Irish educated 'getting' the UK but I do think 'we' understand 'them' far better then 'they' understand 'us' - we are surrounded by 'their' culture where as they only 'see' us through TV programmes like Father Ted (remember Ballykissangel?), performing artists like U2, Colin Farrell etc and they see the likes of Terry Wogan - an assimilationist - and wonder why 'we' insist on being different to 'them'. As if we were wilful children seeking to rebel against the authority and lifestyle of our parents...

A very kindly UK academic once remarked to me, during the height of the Troubles in the 80s, that he couldn't understand the level of Anti-Irish sentiment in the UK, after all, he informed me - 'you are just like us really'. I spent the next hour explaining that we are not just like them - that we are a separate people, in exactly the same way as the French, Germans, Spanish etc are not just like 'them' - we have our own culture, history etc. It has many things in common with wider British culture - as a result of our status as a colony - but also much that is uniquely 'ours'.

The end result was that he seemed to feel that my assertion of Irish culture as a separate identity from British culture was, somehow, me insulting British culture - a refusal on my part to accept our commonality rather then, as I saw it, a failure on his part to comprehend our separation and inherent differences. When I pointed out that he would not take such a view of an American insisting that although British culture had a huge influence on American culture they were nonetheless different from each other he actually called me stubborn and unreasonable - going so far as to say 'typical Irish!' before going off in a huff :p.

Now, having said all of that - there is a slow change happening at least in historical circles - I recently gave a lecture on the Composition of Connacht and how it attempted to legislate Gaelic culture out of existence at a conference at the University of London and I was all prepared for controversy and a certain :eek: amount of argument. What I got was a fascinated and genuine interest from the professional historians who were amazed they had never heard any of this before - even the Early Modernists. The only one there who had prior knowledge was Spanish- he 'got' it.
    Apparently, there is a growing movement within Scotland and Wales to look at their indigenous cultures, not through the prism of nationalism or concepts of British identity but in a similar way to that pioneered here in Ireland by Ken Nicholls in the mid 70s and this is having an impact on the English universities by challenging their sub-conscious belief that all the diverse cultures found on the British Isles are really just local variations on English culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭A.Tomas

Does The Times also publish letters that argues against a pardon?

Sorry Fuinseog, that link brought you to the most recent IT letters.

A day ago, there were two letters against it I believe.

• Advertisement

I have noticed a tendency among many educated in the UK, in particular in England, - even professional historians - to just not 'get' Ireland - it's not just a question of not understanding nuance, but an inability to comprehend things from our perspective. To be fair, I imagine the same charge could be made against Irish educated 'getting' the UK but I do think 'we' understand 'them' far better then 'they' understand 'us' - we are surrounded by 'their' culture where as they only 'see' us through TV programmes like Father Ted (remember Ballykissangel?), performing artists like U2, Colin Farrell etc and they see the likes of Terry Wogan - an assimilationist - and wonder why 'we' insist on being different to 'them'. As if we were wilful children seeking to rebel against the authority and lifestyle of our parents...

A very kindly UK academic once remarked to me, during the height of the Troubles in the 80s, that he couldn't understand the level of Anti-Irish sentiment in the UK, after all, he informed me - 'you are just like us really'. I spent the next hour explaining that we are not just like them - that we are a separate people, in exactly the same way as the French, Germans, Spanish etc are not just like 'them' - we have our own culture, history etc. It has many things in common with wider British culture - as a result of our status as a colony - but also much that is uniquely 'ours'.

The end result was that he seemed to feel that my assertion of Irish culture as a separate identity from British culture was, somehow, me insulting British culture - a refusal on my part to accept our commonality rather then, as I saw it, a failure on his part to comprehend our separation and inherent differences. When I pointed out that he would not take such a view of an American insisting that although British culture had a huge influence on American culture they were nonetheless different from each other he actually called me stubborn and unreasonable - going so far as to say 'typical Irish!' before going off in a huff :p.

Now, having said all of that - there is a slow change happening at least in historical circles - I recently gave a lecture on the Composition of Connacht and how it attempted to legislate Gaelic culture out of existence at a conference at the University of London and I was all prepared for controversy and a certain :eek: amount of argument. What I got was a fascinated and genuine interest from the professional historians who were amazed they had never heard any of this before - even the Early Modernists. The only one there who had prior knowledge was Spanish- he 'got' it.
    Apparently, there is a growing movement within Scotland and Wales to look at their indigenous cultures, not through the prism of nationalism or concepts of British identity but in a similar way to that pioneered here in Ireland by Ken Nicholls in the mid 70s and this is having an impact on the English universities by challenging their sub-conscious belief that all the diverse cultures found on the British Isles are really just local variations on English culture.

Right on. Very well put!

"the likes of Terry Wogan - an assimilationist"

Bob Geldof's the worst though! Wealthy brat, wannabe punk, but actually a conformist. (but that's for another day).

Roberts is being misleading saying deValera was against the trials. He implies he had no problem with the Holocaust. It would seem it was out of advice from the German ambassador (who many believe wanted to keep Germany out of Ireland!).

This is from a website :http://www.historytoday.com/brian-girvin/de-valeras-diplomatic-neutrality

Hempel remained in Ireland after the war ended and de Valera resisted Allied demands for the return of arrested German agents. In a letter written to de Valera on October 5th, 1946, asking him to intervene on behalf of German officials sentenced to death at the Nuremberg trials, Hempel expressed concern at the impact the executions would have on German opinion and asked de Valera to ‘take any other appropriate measures in case you should see any possibility of a help to avert disaster’.

I have noticed a tendency among many educated in the UK, in particular in England, - even professional historians - to just not 'get' Ireland - it's not just a question of not understanding nuance, but an inability to comprehend things from our perspective. .

The fact that the academic believes that Ireland should surrender itself because it was in the British commonwealth is laughable. A more informed person might believe they never actually asked to be!

I have noticed a tendency among many educated in the UK, in particular in England, - even professional historians - to just not 'get' Ireland - it's not just a question of not understanding nuance, but an inability to comprehend things from our perspective.

Funnily enough Margaret Thatcher was one if the first British Prime Minister's to actually get to that question.

1960's & 70's UK Labour & the unions were useless and, when you think about it ,this was their liberal academic "gene pool" and there was a lot of working class racism too.

Probably where the Professor gets it from.

A.Tomas wrote: »

Bob Geldof's the worst though! Wealthy brat, wannabe punk, but actually a conformist. (but that's for another day).

The Geldof's weren't wealthy.

He was an emigrant son of a salesman who made good.

Irish people like the Wogan's and the Geldofs had to assimilate to get on.

When I see Alan Shatter talking down the Irish with the rhetoric of racism that I came across in the 80's & 90's I am in shock.

The Geldof's weren't wealthy.

He was an emigrant son of a salesman who made good.

Of course, he was. (Well Bob was)

He went to Blackrock College, a fee paying school.

His Dad was a salesman/commercial traveller around the country and that was very hard work.

All secondary school pre-1968 or so was fee paying.

To be fair to Bob - and I am by no means an admirer - I went to a fee paying school and my Dad was a baker. He had a side line as a pig farmer to fund the fees (this was post-1968 - I'm middle aged, not old :p)

Don't get me wrong. Robert Geldof was I understand a gentleman.

From Wikipedia:
    Geldof quickly became known as a colourful interview. The Boomtown Rats' first appearance on Ireland's The Late Late Show saw Geldof as deliberately brusque to host Gay Byrne and during his interview attacked Irish politicians and the Catholic Church which he blamed for many of the country's problems at the time, and responded to nuns in the audience that had tried to shout him down by saying they had "an easy life with no material worries in return for which they gave themselves body and soul to the church". He also criticised his old private school Blackrock College.

It's just that any time he was on British tv (like a documentary on him by BBC4 a few years ago), I believe he tried to paint a picture of himself as a barefooted altar boy wearing an onion sack growing up. (Along with conspiracies against his band).

Another good quote:
    At the NME awards in 2006, when accepting an award, Geldof referred to the host Russell Brand as a '****'. Brand responded by saying 'It's not surprising that Geldof is such an expert on famine: he has after all been dining out on "I Don't Like Mondays" for thirty years'.[20]

Don't get me wrong. Robert Geldof was I understand a gentleman.

Anyway, Sir Bob is a bit removed from this, but Terry Wogan assimilated and was very sensitive to the anti-irish vibe which could have affected his life and career.

We could agree to side step this part -maybe even have a thread on anti-irish racism in the UK.

has anyone read the book „Spitting on a Soldier’s Grave“ by the ex British soldier Robert Widders? I cannot recall seeing it for sale here and apparently created much of the hulabuloo we discuss on this thread.

• Advertisement

has anyone read the book „Spitting on a Soldier’s Grave“ by the ex British soldier Robert Widders? I cannot recall seeing it for sale here and apparently created much of the hulabuloo we discuss on this thread.

I missed that one and I can imagine it would be hugely controversial. Have you read it yourself ?

I missed that one and I can imagine it would be hugely controversial. Have you read it yourself ?

No, only heard about it today. I came across it in an article in the German Die Welt, which deals with the topic and Ireland's 'Dark Past'

No, only heard about it today. I came across it in an article in the German Die Welt, which deals with the topic and Ireland's 'Dark Past'

Really, how does the article portray us ?

Really, how does the article portray us ?

I addressed it on the Alan Shatter thread. It harps on about Dev offering condolences on the death of the German head of state in 1945. Its negative, but written by the newspaper's correspondent to London.

I addressed it on the Alan Shatter thread. It harps on about Dev offering condolences on the death of the German head of state in 1945. Its negative, but written by the newspaper's correspondent to London.

It didn't say that they had all skulked around to the Swiss Embassy for advice on what the appropriate protocol was but do they ever blame the Swiss. Noo.

Do they ever mention who we inherited our civil service from.Nooo.

This springs to mind

http://www.bofh.org.uk/2005/12/01/you-shag-one-lousy-sheep

:p

On a more serious note the campaign has harmed Ireland and is now one of those situations where they need to acknowledge that they went too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

His Dad was a salesman/commercial traveller around the country and that was very hard work.

All secondary school pre-1968 or so was fee paying.

His grandfather was the first to arrive here, he had a restaurant in Dublin - on the quays I think - called the 'Maison Belge'. It was highly reputed and was a sort of forerunner to Jammets and the Dolphin. Bob Geldof used to hang out in Dun Laoghaire at the Bamboo (the 'boo) & Murrays & Walters in the late sixties; he always seemed a strange guy(to me ), but never did me any harm.
    If you grew up Blackrock - Dalkey axis in those days you went to Rock, CBC, Michaels or Pres Glasthule. All were fee paying, but Oatlands and Eblana were free pre '68. Nobody gave a rats about that, everybody mixed and it was before Dort attitudes.
    Off topic, I know:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

With all due respect, I think you are falling into two traps there, the first one is proving your own point, just as in the UK we may not "get" the Irish, I think you've demonstrated that you don't "get" the English.

You are also bating an assumption on one conversation with an academic. Surely a few more in your sample would make your findings more accurate.

One thing the Irish don't get, is the cultural diversity in England. Despite what they may think on after hours, Ireland is still pretty much entirely full of white Irish Catholics, with the biggest immigrant group being white polish Catholics.

To someone in England who is used to living with a wide assortment of Irish, Scots, Pakistanis, Indians, Poles and Afro- Caribbeans, yes, the Irish are just like us.

With all due respect, I think you are falling into two traps there, the first one is proving your own point, just as in the UK we may not "get" the Irish, I think you've demonstrated that you don't "get" the English.

You are also bating an assumption on one conversation with an academic. Surely a few more in your sample would make your findings more accurate.

One thing the Irish don't get, is the cultural diversity in England. Despite what they may think on after hours, Ireland is still pretty much entirely full of white Irish Catholics, with the biggest immigrant group being white polish Catholics.

To someone in England who is used to living with a wide assortment of Irish, Scots, Pakistanis, Indians, Poles and Afro- Caribbeans, yes, the Irish are just like us.

Equally respectfully you are making some huge assumptions - not least that neither I or anyone else who is Irish has never lived in a multi-cultural society. Having lived for many many years in the east End of London where I worked as a housing estate based local authority community worker - I also lived on the estate- I have a great deal more experience of living with people of different ethnic origins, cultures and creeds then many English have. As do most of the other Irish who over the decades migrated to urban England - many of whom (in particular the 80s emigrants) returned here to raise their families.
    My neighbours and work colleagues were Guyanese, Nigerian, Jamaican, St Lucian, Turkish, Greek, Cypriot, Kurdish, Chinese, Sri Lankan, Vietnamese, Bengali, Pakistani, Indian, Somali and a lovely South African couple. Oh and we had a lot of Irish...the majority of whom returned home in the mid-90s to live in West Cork, Sligo, Dublin, Galway, Mayo, Cork, Kerry, Wicklow, Leitrim, Wexford...

If you want to experience an insular mono-culture I suggest you visit the Cotswolds or the Norfolk Broads, or Cumbria, or Durham, or Devon or Somerset...

Nor was that example I gave of the academic the only time I had such an encounter. I had many of those in the decade I lived in either London or South Yorkshire. I remember being approached by an English politics lecturer in Sheffield in the early 90s collecting money for 'a women's community centre' in Belfast. I asked her, while reaching for my wallet, was this centre aimed at one particular community or did it have a non-Sectarian ethos. She responded aggressively and loudly demanded to know how I dared ask such a thing, didn't I know what 'those' women were suffering and how the Irish are being demonised!!

I responded that as I am both Irish and have visited NI many, many times as my sister lived in Belfast that yes, I did indeed have some idea of what life was like there and how it felt to be Irish in the UK. I enquired if she had ever been to Ireland - she had not.

Her next question, after she accused me of not being Irish because 'You don't sound Irish' (I do - I just have very good diction but apparently we're not supposed to have elocution lessons over here :eek:) was what part of Ireland was I from (obviously since I said I had 'visited' NI I wasn't from there but....duh!).

I replied I was from the Republic. 'Which bit is that?' she asked. I sighed and said 'The South'. At this she perked up and announced 'Oh, in that case it's for Catholics'. I dryly replied 'how dare you assume I am a Catholic and I do not support sectarian organisations'.
    I actually knew this centre, had visited it and it was strictly non-Sectarian.
    I originally asked the question as I suspected the woman, who lectured in politics, had no awareness of the socio-political background of the beneficiary of the contents of that wee box she was rattling under people's nose but was nontheless willing to give people the benefit of her ignorance and grandstand about a topic she knew nothing about. For her, it was nothing but a trendy cause that didn't merit the effort of trying to understand it.

I was also sent on mandatory racism awareness course (the Irish had officially been declared an ethnic minority) by L.B. Hackney and I have never heard such rubbish in my whole life when it came to the 'Irish Awareness' section. I refused to attend a similar course run by the GLC...but know that other Irish community workers wrote letters of complaint after that one.

A Jamaican friend, having recently been on a specifically 'Irish Awareness' 3 day course run by Camden, rushed up to my flat and spent hours urging me to get a British passport before new legislation was enacted which made it difficult for immigrants to claim. Through increasingly clenched teeth I replied over and over 'I have a passport'. She kept it up, dismissing my possession of an Irish passport with a wave of her hands, as if it was somehow inferior, and emphasising the importance and value of a British passport. In the end a French Jew interceded and explained it to her - to give her credit, my Jamaican friend was mortified when she understood the implications of what she was saying re: 'proper' passports. She had passed her 'Irish Awareness' course with flying colours....

Or perhaps you like to hear about the week long study session I attended in Manchester where out of 25 of us in my group, 23 -all white English- were stressing out trying to keep me and a woman from an Eniskillen Unionist background apart. They were genuinely afraid we would just go for each other. What actually happened when this woman and I finally met at the last night dinner was we have a great night discussing the rubbish each of us and been told about the other - and noting how similar the BS we were both told was -and insulting each others backgrounds, we laughed until we cried and were eventually asked to leave the restaurant at 2 a.m. so the staff could go home.
    We had both been living in England for many years by that stage and agreed it was great to talk to someone who knew where we were coming from. The Southern 'Nationalist' and the Northern 'Unionist' found, once we got chatting, that we spoke the same language - and it was a language our English colleagues just couldn't comprehend.

I have a thousand more examples but I believe I have made my point.

Here in Ireland we constantly watch British TV shows, we vote in the X Factor, we shop in Debenhams and Marks, we read your newspapers, we watch your news programmes, we support your soccer teams, many of us have either lived or have close relatives/friends who live in GB.

How many in GB sit at home and watch Irish TV shows (and no - Father Ted doesn't count) and vote in whatever crap 'talent' contest is on RTE/TV3/TG4. How many shop in Dunnes or Brown Thomas?, Know The Examiner exists? Have ever seen Áine Lawlor read the news? Could even name an Irish soccer team? Have lived here or have friends/close relatives who have/do live here?
    How many know who is taking the horse to France? Sucked a Silvermint? Drank Tanora, Cidona or TK? Believe that lemonade comes in 2 colours? Ate Tayto pub crisps? Understand that it started on the Late late Show? Ever had the urge to ring Joe? Know that a 'mad yoke' is not a dodgy egg? Or that 'I will. Yeah.' means 'I won't'? Indulge in 'hurling on the ditch'? Have ever been 'on the pig's back'? Called someone a langer?

We know what the Women's Institute is - how many English people know about the ICA?

We know a lot more about you then you do about us - we had to, you conquered us and made us learn your ways. You never bothered to learn ours because you didn't have to.

What you failed utterly to do was turn 'us' into 'you' - not for want of trying mind - and no matter what you think, we are as different from you as West Indians are- we just happen to have the same skin colour as you.

And in this context of friendly "neutrality" , would the British understand the burning of Cork or indeed Miltown Malbay, Lahinch & Ennistymon. That 1916 deaths meted out on the population of Dublin exceeded the combined deaths of the Crown Forces and the Rebels.

Do they teach it in their schools. (Do we teach it in our schools) ?

They do understand the boycott of the Sun newspaper in Liverpool since 1989. Similar time frame.

http://www.anfieldroad.com/dont-buy-the-sun/

An English person in the 1930's will have been aware of this as the aftermath of 1916 was accompanied by an enquiry into the innocent civilian deaths and the 1920's had compensation claims pursued.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

And in this context of friendly "neutrality" , would the British understand the burning of Cork or indeed Miltown Malbay, Lahinch & Ennistymon. That 1916 deaths meted out on the population of Dublin exceeded the combined deaths of the Crown Forces and the Rebels.

Do they teach it in their schools. (Do we teach it in our schools) ?

They do understand the boycott of the Sun newspaper in Liverpool since 1989. Similar time frame.

http://www.anfieldroad.com/dont-buy-the-sun/

An English person in the 1930's will have been aware of this as the aftermath of 1916 was accompanied by an enquiry into the innocent civilian deaths and the 1920's had compensation claims pursued.

How many Irish people know about the Tolpuddle martyrs, the Peterloo massacre or the Harrowing of the North?

More importantly, how many Irish people know of the civil war. All country's are good at sweeping grubby history under the carpet.

There is no more reason why English schools should teach about the burning of Cork than they should about the history of Trinidad, or Martinique.

Advertisement