Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i still get paid for the work i did( i think its only fair)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭votecounts

Off Topic, but i hope you know you won't get any dole for 9 weeks because you quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

Well I wish you good luck on that call today.

But DO consider your employers position the next time you decide to quit a job. If you have the guts to take a job you should also be grown-up enough to quit it properly.

When I worked in in Supermarket still I had a few awful situations as well (4 weeks vacation, cracked my rib and had to hand in a doc cert for another 2 weeks off) but I sucked it up and went there.

People are much more cooperative if you play by the rules. If you had explained yourself to them you might not be in the situation you are now.

Anyway as mentioned, good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

votecounts wrote: »
    Off Topic, but i hope you know you won't get any dole for 9 weeks because you quit.

Yea not if you tell them you were let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Chessala

theg81der wrote: »
    Yea not if you tell them you were let go.

Won't he have to prove that then? I don't see them doing him that favour....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Chessala wrote: »
    Won't he have to prove that then? I don't see them doing him that favour....

No you don`t have to prove it, it was a part time seasonal job they will accept that. So how would they tell eactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

they send out a form asking if there was work available for the person looking for dole, if the company state that there was work available and they walked out, they dont get the dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

I'm with you OP. Walking out on a **** job is no big deal. I did it once and actually got paid an extra week!
    Also, as RangeR said, consider this a lesson and learn from it - this isn't school where you can mitch off for a few days without any real consequences - you may be asked for example to provide a reference from this job when you go looking for another. Or worse, your next manager may know your old one personally (it's a very small country)

Lets face it. The consequences will be minimal. They're working in a tempororary minimum wage job and I doubt the employers even care as much as some people here do.

I've walked out on 3 jobs in my youth with no regrets and no harm done. Bit awkward having to do my shopping in one of htem for a while after but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm with you OP. Walking out on a **** job is no big deal. I did it once and actually got paid an extra week!

Lets face it. The consequences will be minimal. They're working in a tempororary minimum wage job and I doubt the employers even care as much as some people here do.

I've walked out on 3 jobs in my youth with no regrets and no harm done. Bit awkward having to do my shopping in one of htem for a while after but that was it.

Which has already worked out brilliantly for her, as she hasn't been paid for what she did work and will have to hassle people for it- extremely awkward when they won't be disposed to help her in any way when she left them in the lurch.

It's also a valid point that she would be unwise to have this job as a reference or possibly on her CV at all. As for the dole, possibly she is in full-time education so she can't get it anyway but if she wasn't, yet another downside.

They owe her money and she will be paid without that much hassle. A phone call, a visit and then an email to NERA.

Life is too short to care about upsetting the bosses in mickey mouse jobs. I've served my years in these places and take it from me they care about you even less than you care about them.

Social welfare are not going to bar somebody from claiming for nine weeks because they left a seasonal job a few days early.

And finally, the reference she gets for a few weeks in this job is not going to be the difference between getting that great job and years of unemployment.

I've messed about loads of employers in my time whilst my partner has done the opposite. Worked every day she was told to work, did everything by the book. Lots of great references from part time jobs over the years. She earns half what i earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm a retail manager, I have worked in a good few sectors within 30 miles of where I live. I know most managers or HR managers of each shop where I live and outside it.

I always give a full and frank reference.

Decide for yourself.

• Advertisement

yeah, retail is for kids and no hopers. :)

[moderator's note: Mr Dread is taking a short holiday from this forum.]

getting paid next friday, thanks to all the replies, im in college so no dole for me- thank god haha

Thanks everyone again xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

getting paid next friday, thanks to all the replies, im in college so no dole for me- thank god haha

Thanks everyone again xxx

glad it all worked out

yeah, retail is for kids and no hopers. :)

[moderator's note: Mr Dread is taking a short holiday from this forum.]

Doesn't look like it. Mod fail. You can't suppress the truth.

Advertisement