Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i still get paid for the work i did( i think its only fair)

Options
  • 30-12-2011 7:58am

I quit my christmas job the 28th dec( wednesday) and i worked 30 hours last week. Will i still get paid today( payday) its nearly 7am and i haven't been paid yet?

i hope i get paid because its unfair, those 30 hours were a nightmare to work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,325 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Yes, you should be paid.

Unless there is something like you aren't telling us, like you quit before you were fired for fraud. :)

Victor wrote: »
    Yes, you should be paid.

Unless there is something like you aren't telling us, like you quit before you were fired for fraud. :)

I quit on wednesday, but never let them know personally ( i just have not gone in) because they were horrible people, and i haven't gotten paid! JOKE much? im so upset i don't know what to do:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

I quit on wednesday, but never let them know personally ( i just have not gone in) because they were horrible people, and i haven't gotten paid! JOKE much? im so upset i don't know what to do:(

now your going to feel silly when you have to go back in and enquire about your wages as quitting without telling them could be seen as brech of contract

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Always, always, ALWAYS inform your boss that you are quitting. By just not turning up, what you have done is cost them money [probably more than you are due] in
    • Taking up your slack
    • Bringing in another employee / temp to fill your position
    • Possible lost trade [not knowing your job title] due to your tardiness

If you have only worked 30 hours with this employer this year, then you have fook all rights. You SHOULD get paid but may have to fight your corner.

Suggest that you go in and talk to your ex employer, explain, apologise and request payment.

EDIT : Consider this a hard lesson in life. You can not just bury your head in the sand without consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Techno_Toaster

You didn't let them know, you didn't show up for work and you wonder why you haven't been paid?? Maybe because they don't know what's going on. Personally I think that's the worst thing you could have done at Christmas. I had a friend do that one year when we were both hired as Christmas staff in a retail shop and it left not only the staff picking up his slack but we had to stay behind. You should have rang them and told them or at least contacted them.

You have a responsibility as an employee to let your employer know what's going on. I highly doubt anyone here can advise you on why you weren't paid you need to contact your employer and you could have left things extremely awkward for yourself for future employment.

You should get paid what you were owed but you should have let your employer know what was going on.

• Advertisement

I rang the tuesday telling one of the full timers( who, im sorry but is a compete IDIOT, always forgetting the simplest of things) that i was sick( which was genuine)

they were absoulute horrible people to work for, i didn't get my right hours for lunch and most of the staff were very bullish:(

i just worked last week with utter dread and hated every min of it, and now to be told im not getting paid for it? JOKE

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

and now to be told im not getting paid for it? JOKE

Where you actually told that?
    Listen, the majority of people don't like their job, to some degree. But one has to earn a living.

I rang the tuesday telling one of the full timers( who, im sorry but is a compete IDIOT, always forgetting the simplest of things) that i was sick( which was genuine)

they were absoulute horrible people to work for, i didn't get my right hours for lunch and most of the staff were very bullish:(

i just worked last week with utter dread and hated every min of it, and now to be told im not getting paid for it? JOKE

my advice go to the doctors get a cert go back, AND then hand in your notice, at the best they will sit down with you find out why your not happy and offer to transfer you, at worst they will fire you

We all do jobs we hate but you had a Christmas contract meaning you signed a contract stating you were available to work until a specific date and you breached it by not contacting them. You should have asked to speak to a HR manager or manager as opposed to a full timer. The onus was on you to ensure your employer was aware why you weren't in.

Times are tough 50% of people hate their jobs but struggle through and for the sake of a few more days you should have either been mature enough to stick it out or mature enough to tell them you weren't coming back. You've left yourself wide open here by breaching your contract.

caspa307 wrote: »
    my advice go to the doctors get a cert go back, AND then hand in your notice, at the best they will sit down with you find out why your not happy and offer to transfer you, at worst they will fire you

yes lie so you can save your own ass top advice. Don't accept responsibility for your actions but rather lie. Also if your sick for a long period your required to ring in every day and tell them until you get a sick cert and have a date you'll be out until.

• Advertisement

ya but im sorry, they were absoulute C****. I stuck it out to the most that i could have, alot of people would have quitted ages ago.

Its also a part time position, not a full time position, and i have a doctors note already. I just dont know what to do, one day i worked from 10am to 10 pm with 1 half an hour break and 2 15mins break, then the very next day i worked 8-5 with 1 half hour break and 1 15min break

yes lie so you can save your own ass top advice. Don't accept responsibility for your actions but rather lie. Also if your sick for a long period your required to ring in every day and tell them until you get a sick cert and have a date you'll be out until.

where did i say lie? OP said she rang in sick, so therefore if she gtsa cert it will cover her last week that they missed thats all i said i didnt say lie i said get yourself covered for the week and talk to managment

ya but im sorry, they were absoulute C****. I stuck it out to the most that i could have, alot of people would have quitted ages ago.

Its also a part time position, not a full time position, and i have a doctors note already. I just dont know what to do, one day i worked from 10am to 10 pm with 1 half an hour break and 2 15mins break, then the very next day i worked 8-5 with 1 half hour break and 1 15min break

And did you contact the HR manager to tell them your hours weren't right? Did you do the best you could to ensure your breaks were correct? Did you talk to managers?

It doesn't matter if it was part time or full time you still didn't turn up for your shift. Bring in your sick cert and arrange to see the HR manager.Your contract was up anyway soon so it'll probably just finish up anyway.

Also if you wanted to quit...quit don't just decided not to turn up that's never the answer

is the HR manager and manager the same person?lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

Hope you get it sorted corklassy. Not much help to give you except to say email is your friend so at least you can document things. Send them the sick cert as an attachement and ask about your pay. Say you can`t afford to ring or say you did and they mustn`t have got the message.

If you were treated fairly I`m sure you wouldn`t be here complaining. People don`t really leave nice jobs where they feel valued do they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

one day i worked from 10am to 10 pm with 1 half an hour break and 2 15mins break, then the very next day i worked 8-5 with 1 half hour break and 1 15min break

Unless you are under 18, those break are fine.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/media/Workingtimeact.pdf

Is it weekly pay? or monthly pay?

If its monthly pay, they couldhave held it until they work out you holiday pay etc.

weekly pay!:(

is it possible the money could be in my account tomorrow?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Probably not, if you want the money then you'll probably have to contact them about it. Be prepared to be told to **** off though.

not usually depending on the scale of the business. If it was Dunnes/Tesco they have a separate HR Manager and then store managers. If it was a small scale local shop they will probably only have 1 manager.

If it was a large scale shop your better off speaking to the HR Manager/Personnel as they would have been the one to hire you and write up your contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Unless you are under 18, those break are fine.

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/media/Workingtimeact.pdf

Is it weekly pay? or monthly pay?

If its monthly pay, they couldhave held it until they work out you holiday pay etc.

If it's a shop which it sounds like it might be those breaks are not fine. Read your link.

i don't care about the breaks at this stage i just want the money thats owed to me:( ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

I can fully sympathise with you about working for an awful company but if you failed to tell your boss that you are quitting then it's a very daft thing to do.

You've made things a lot more difficult for yourself.

fat__tony wrote: »
    I can fully sympathise with you about working for an awful company but if you failed to tell your boss that you are quitting then it's a very daft thing to do.

You've made things a lot more difficult for yourself.

oh but fat tony what should i do now?? I NEED THAT MONEY:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

They may hold onto it until they get a proper resignation letter off you.

Or, considering you only worked a week, maybe it is delayed cos of tax/ back week etc.

Your only option is to phone the place and ask.

And learn your lesson that just leaving a job with no explanation is immature and unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

ElleEm wrote: »
    They may hold onto it until they get a proper resignation letter off you.

Or, considering you only worked a week, maybe it is delayed cos of tax/ back week etc.

Your only option is to phone the place and ask.

And learn your lesson that just leaving a job with no explanation is immature and unprofessional.

Took the words right out of mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

oh but fat tony what should i do now?? I NEED THAT MONEY:(

Sweet jesus, just ring them!

You're being extremely immature in this whole thing. We get it, they were horrible to work for. Such is life. If you want your money you need to go and speak to a manager.

You put yourself into this situation by acting the way you did. Stop being ridiculous and go and speak to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,752 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Sweet jesus, just ring them!

You're being extremely immature in this whole thing. We get it, they were horrible to work for. Such is life. If you want your money you need to go and speak to a manager.

You put yourself into this situation by acting the way you did. Stop being ridiculous and go and speak to someone.

+1

OP, I'm assuming you're quite young as you're coming off as very immature on this.

Call them, explain that you've been sick and have a doctor's cert (of course you SHOULD have called in sick too in that case) and take it from there.

Also, as RangeR said, consider this a lesson and learn from it - this isn't school where you can mitch off for a few days without any real consequences - you may be asked for example to provide a reference from this job when you go looking for another. Or worse, your next manager may know your old one personally (it's a very small country)

No matter what the job is or how much you hate it or the people, ALWAYS try to leave on good terms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Seems to me we're not being told the whole story hear....

• Advertisement

god i wish now i had said i was quitting, hope tomorrow goes okay when i ring them, will leave ye know!

Advertisement