Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL DRAFT 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Which team do people think will take a punt on Brock Osweiler? I've been impressed whenever I've watched him but obviously there's a long way to go and he's nowhere near ready to start in the NFL but if he landed at the right team and was able to sit behind a starting QB for a few years I think he could be a very good prospect.

I was interested to see Cliff Harris at the combine aswell, touted as being one of the best cornerbacks of his draft class before being dumped from the Oregon programme he was disappointing but I'm sure a team will take a chance on him in the lower rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

OAOB wrote: »
    Thought the Jets were in cap trouble, if they trade up for RGIII and cut Sanchez do they make much of a saving?

Just out of interest, regarding contracts in the NFL, if Sanchez is cut would the Jets have to pay up all his remaining years or what way does it work?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Do NFL reporters even watch college ball? It's hard not to ask that question when so many people were shocked by Andrew Luck's athletic ability in the combine. It seemed from reading reports that most of the NFL experts had never actually bothered to watch him play for Stanford where he consistently displayed a terrific ability to move outside the pocket and anyone who saw him lay the wood on the USC DB after throwing an interception knows how strong Luck is.

I think all the talk about Luck replacing Manning at Indy and being the closest prospect to Peyton to come out in years made so many writers expect Luck to be unathletic. This isnt to disparage Manning who is one of the best ever at keeping plays alive and moving within the confines of his pocket to give himself time. But I think thats what everyone expected from Luck.

When you add in the likes of Peter King commenting about Stephen Hill, the Georgia Tech wideout who ran well but whose:
    "2011 season was odd. He didn't have a 100-yard receiving game in his last nine games; only twice did he catch more than three balls in a game. In three seasons, he caught only 49 passes"

Georgia Tech's triple option offence is hardly the best system for a reciever to show their skills. To give some perspective last year's GT starting QB throw 150 passes, completed less then half of those and threw for 1600 yards 11 TDs. Hill accounted for over 800 yards and five TDs. So even though his numbers dont pop off the stats sheet having watched Tech play it was always obvious how big a part of that offence he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Paully D wrote: »
    Just out of interest, regarding contracts in the NFL, if Sanchez is cut would the Jets have to pay up all his remaining years or what way does it work?

Cheers.

They wouldn't, however they would still see an impact on their salary cap based on whatever his signing bonus is.

For example, if you have a player on a 5 year contract worth 10 million (for simplicity, let's say it's 2 million per year). You can cut him after 2 years and not have to pay the remaining 6 million. But when he signed that contract, there would have been a signing bonus - let's say 2 million. While that 2 million would have went to him when he signed, it represents a 400k hit on your salary cap for each of those 5 years (think of the accounting concept of accrued expenses and your on the right track). If you cut him after 2 years, you've already accrued for 2 x 400k cap hits, but because you've cut him, the remaining 1.2 million (3 x 400k) will count against your salary cap straight away for season 3.

As far as if the Jets would have room for a #2 pick on their current cap - it would take some stellar contract renegotiations to create the space but under the new CBA, it's achieveable as a #2 pick is no longer a ridiculous 50 million dollar investment. (Re: contract restructuring - I posted a good article in the Banter thread on how the Steelers have done brilliant work in this area so far this offseason in an attempt to be able to afford keeping hold of Mike Wallace - would definitely recommend reading it.)

Rich's 40 is on now! Always the best part of the combine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Thoughts on Fitzmagic for the future?

He's a decent QB. He's good enough to lead the team to the playoffs, but his accuracy and arm strength are suspect. His stats regarding interceptions are poor, but quite an amount of them are as a result of having only one top receiver to pick out (Johnson). I'd really to see how Fitz would play if he didnt have to rack up 30+ points each game to win - this can be solved if the we draft a pass rusher in the 1st (Ingram or Perry) and keep the bulk of the D-line fit next season.

It's a tough situation with the Bills and this draft. They could go all out and trade up for RGIII and avail of the get out clause in Fitz's ridiculously overpriced contract. But you're talking a hefty sum - probably 5 picks for 1. If it were me? I'd go for it. A franchise QB like RGIII is exactly what's needed to re-energise the franchise. Quality FA receivers will want to come to Buffalo to play for him. But, Gailey and the Bills GM are of the "build through the draft" school of team building, and as such I really can't see them risking it.

Really it's just a case of seeing where Manning & Flynn go before we get a picture of who's likely to trade up for RG.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

frostie500 wrote: »
    Rich's 40 is on now! Always the best part of the combine!
    You know that was hours ago yeah?!

kmart6 wrote: »
    You know that was hours ago yeah?!

Sh!t im watching it on the NFL Network they must be just showing repeats all night! Ha! Still, a great effort by Rich this year!

Was thinking that's what you were doing alright! There's a gif and link to the comparisons on the last page....but you'll have seen them if your watching NFL Network!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Paully D wrote: »
    Anyone reckon there's even a slight chance that RGIII will go ahead of Luck, or is Luck being the number #1 pick all done and dusted now?

Also, give me your top 10 predictions for the first round :)

if the Colts pick Luck and it goes wrong, they can say "well everyone expected him to be amazing, we had to take him no 1". If they pick RGIII and Luck is who everyone says he is, the decision would be lambasted for years.

The only sensible thing to do is take Luck really...

• Advertisement

if the Colts pick Luck and it goes wrong, they can say "well everyone expected him to be amazing, we had to take him no 1". If they pick RGIII and Luck is who everyone says he is, the decision would be lambasted for years.

Exactly. It's pretty much the same thing Peyton Manning said when he was entering the draft - he warned the Colts that if they didn't select him with their #1 pick, he would make them regret it by beating them for the next 15 years anytime he would face them. Luck hasn't said as much, but he doesn't have to. The Colts just know it's implied!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

TBF no decent organization would forgoe their hours of analysis and gut feeling to pick a player based on what the media might say about it...

Otherwise Reggie Bush, the last sure thing, would have been a Texan.

Hazys wrote: »
    TBF no decent organization would forgoe their hours of analysis and gut feeling to pick a player based on what the media might say about it...

Or Houston's own Vince Young! Its amazing now to look back and remember the outcry when Williams was selected number one

• Registered Users Posts: 37,512 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm a huge fan of RGIII but my memories of past drafts are keeping me from going overboard about him.

Just think about every year you have been following the game and remember how many times a QB who can fun fast get gets overhyped by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Some fantastic RB performances. I would love the Packers to take a gamble on David Wilson but I expect McCarthy to give Starks another shot. I'm undecided about Grant but considering our running game isn't a classic part of our offense we should just trade him and take the gamble on a rookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm a huge fan of RGIII but my memories of past drafts are keeping me from going overboard about him.

Just think about every year you have been following the game and remember how many times a QB who can fun fast get gets overhyped by the media.

he seems to have a better arm and mind than the rest though as he said hes a qb who's an athlete as opposed to an athlete whos a qb also i think steve mariucci said he gave the best interview he had ever seen and seems like the most intelligent qb hes seen in years so i think the time he ran was just the cherry on top

also i knew luck was quick but i did not realise he was that quick

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The reason RG3 has gone supernova is because he's shown himself to be a smart player on top of being a great athlete. The fact he really is over 6''2 (whereas scouts were thinking he'd barely clock over 6''0) and a solid weight just means he's got every single thing a team could want in a QB.

The way the league's going and with how a similar type of player, Newton, transformed the entire verve of a franchise his first season will mean people will rightly be betting the farm on Griffin. Get your QB right and the path to the play-offs becomes a whole lot more direct.

Hazys wrote: »

The draft is a crap shoot in the first round no matter the research. Did someone post that article up here regarding draft pick success rates? It's only a little better than blind luck anyway.

eagle eye wrote: »

it's the hype about his smarts that's got me, I knew he was a sharp guy (took law in college and is currently studying for his masters afaik) but in my limited following of the draft in previous years I haven't heard a guys intelligence being talked about so much considering his physical abilities.

Ah there's some years where blind luck can't be said, this year is a case for that with Luck,RG3,Blackmon and others!

I'd agree that say outside the top 5 can be pure pot luck, because there is never going to be a huge amount of elite guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

kmart6 wrote: »
    Ah there's some years where blind luck can't be said, this year is a case for that with Luck,RG3,Blackmon and others!

I'd agree that say outside the top 5 can be pure pot luck, because there is never going to be a huge amount of elite guys!

top 5 players can bust to look at jamarcus russel, alkili smith, tim couch, tyan leaf, brian bosworth, tony mandarich

while top 5 players have a higher success rate when they bust boy do they bust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

What would you offer the Rams for the 2nd pick/Robert Griffin?

There are rumours that the Redskins will offer a 1st, 3rd & 5th this year and next year's 1st or at least that will be the offer to beat.

Considering the draft is a lot of luck surely having 4 picks regardless of round gives you 4x the chance (within reason) of finding a starter than 1 pick.

I think the Falcons trade to the Browns was ridiculous for a player who was good in his first season but he may not become elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

The Rams just lots of picks and lots of picks right now. They have needs across the board and I feel that taking Blackmon will be very underwhelming for them unless they go WR in the first two rounds. Problem there is that they have a horrible secondary and very little depth at LB. They need to sit down and decide what they want to accomplish this draft because they can't plug up all these wholes, imo they should go offence first, take Blackmon, take Stephen Hill in the second. Pick up OL,TE and a good bruising RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

It all depends on how far the rams are willing to move down.

It was suggested that the Browns 4 and 22 pick would be enough but the way RGIII performed at the combine his price might have went up. If he throws well at he pro day i could see the Rams getting a kings ransom for him

Browns to give up both 1st round picks this year with maybe a 3rd rd pick and 1st/2nd round pick next year

Redskins would have to give up 1st, 2nd, 3rd this year plus maybe 1st and 3rd next year.

I cant see the Rams moving down much further than that and I cant see the Phins/Seahawks being able to compete with whats on offer from Browns/Skins.

If i were the browns i would be praying and hoping that Manning goes to Skins and flynn to Dolphins so they have a free shot at trading up for RGIII and keeping the price down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

HigginsJ wrote: »
    It all depends on how far the rams are willing to move down.

It was suggested that the Browns 4 and 22 pick would be enough but the way RGIII performed at the combine his price might have went up. If he throws well at he pro day i could see the Rams getting a kings ransom for him

Browns to give up both 1st round picks this year with maybe a 3rd rd pick and 1st/2nd round pick next year

Redskins would have to give up 1st, 2nd, 3rd this year plus maybe 1st and 3rd next year.

I cant see the Rams moving down much further than that and I cant see the Phins/Seahawks being able to compete with whats on offer from Browns/Skins.

If i were the browns i would be praying and hoping that Manning goes to Skins and flynn to Dolphins so they have a free shot at trading up for RGIII and keeping the price down.

I really hope the Rams don't get 3 fist round picks in exchange for their number 2 overall pick.

They also have the first pick of the second round which they could trade out of.

Hopefully the best they can get will be Cleveland's 2 first round picks. In other words they get the 22nd pick for moving down 2 places.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

adrian522 wrote: »
    I really hope the Rams don't get 3 fist round picks in exchange for their number 2 overall pick.

They also have the first pick of the second round which they could trade out of.

Hopefully the best they can get will be Cleveland's 2 first round picks. In other words they get the 22nd pick for moving down 2 places.

It's supply and demand, there's no point being annoyed by it. RG3 isn't going to be sold for just a 22nd overall pick, the market is there for alot more and someone will pay far more than that if that were to be all the Browns were willing to offer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Syferus wrote: »
    It's supply and demand, there's no point being annoyed by it. RG3 isn't going to be sold for just a 22nd overall pick, the market is there for alot more and someone will pay far more than that if that were to be all the Browns were willing to offer.

Well I was speaking more as a 49er fan than anything. It's just that I don't want the Rams to have a whole load of picks for this year and the next few years, as they could [shudder] dominate "our" division. Or at least be competitive, and I don't want that either.:D

Syferus wrote: »
    The way the league's going and with how a similar type of player, Newton, transformed the entire verve of a franchise his first season will mean people will rightly be betting the farm on Griffin. Get your QB right and the path to the play-offs becomes a whole lot more direct.

Griffin and Newton are not very similar at all :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Griffin and Newton are not very similar at all :confused:

they're both black and play QB, that's close enough...

• Advertisement

And don't forget the Superman stuff with the cape and socks!

Advertisement