Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tescomobile

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭JTMan

For clarity, Meteor's international calling add-on is free - you just need to text "international" to 50104 to opt-in. I don't really understand why they make it necessary to do this though - why not just make this rate standard for all?

Only a small percent of their users will realise that the opt-in exists. Hence, Eircom get to profit from the uninformed Meteor prepay users.

mathepac wrote: »
    Oh yes it is! :D I am a Tesco customer since May 2011 and when I top up in multiples of €10 they double my credit, always, every single time. Yes the free credit is in a different pot and it gets used first but it's always there. The reason it gets used first is because it has a use-by date, which Tesco are open about, but they take it first. I don't use the phone for UK calls so I'm indifferent to Tesco's charges for them.

Sorry mathepac but they don't double your credit. Kotek Besar is correct.

Doubling means giving you the same again in the same quantity. Tesco restrict your 'bonus credit' to domestic usage, you can't use it for international calls, international texts, roaming, premium numbers, buying data add-ons and many other things. Also, it has a 30 day expiry to it.

As Kotek Besar said, Tesco are misleading customers the way they advertise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

read the terms and conditions its all in there, not even meteor states free meteor to meteor calls are only for 30 days untill you read the terms, its only because were used of those network deals and the double credit idea is a new idea to us

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Doubling means giving you the same again in the same quantity. Tesco restrict your 'bonus credit' to domestic usage, you can't use it for international calls, international texts, roaming, premium numbers, buying data add-ons and many other things. Also, it has a 30 day expiry to it.

As Kotek Besar said, Tesco are misleading customers the way they advertise this.

Sorry, I get €10 extra credit to use on texts and calls within Ireland.

As I said, I dont use the phone much €10 per month is more than enough for me. I only use the €10 other credit to buy my data add on. I use this €4 for a few days and then top up by €10 again, so I spend even less than €10 a month.

I made a cock up by going with Three bill at €19 per month and when the 12 months was up, I really investigated the cheapest possible monthly cost for a pre-pay mobile plan, Tesco is what I choose, but I'd always keep an eye on a plan that would cost me less than €10 per month, when I find it I'll move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Fungus wrote: »

too true..... I never looked at it that way but you are dead right, misleading advertising!! fair play to you for taking a stand against this sort of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Sorry mathepac but they don't double your credit. Kotek Besar is correct. ...
    We're going around in circles here. Let me be clear - for my mobile usage Tesco give me what I want. I checked the various offerings from other operators and their product suits me. It does what it says on the tin and works seamlessly for me. I don't need fancy doo-dahs and doo-hickeys to add to my basic package so what they offer suits me and I knew about the "gaps" in their offering but they were not important to me, so I'm happy. I've had mobile phones for many many years and I've never run a mobile as cheaply as this one.

I guess we'll just have to agree to differ. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Let me be clear - for my mobile usage Tesco give me what I want.
    That's great, for you. but..
    It does what it says on the tin

^^ that simply isn't factual.

It is factual, there was no hidden agenda, no mis-selling, no false advertising and has worked for me consistently since May 2011. It may not suit others but it suits me perfectly and is described accurately in the advertising for the service I bought.

It is factual, there was no hidden agenda, no mis-selling, no false advertising and has worked for me consistently since May 2011. It may not suit others but it suits me perfectly and is described accurately in the advertising for the service I bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

The problem I have with moving to Tesco is that I send between 2000 and 2500 texts a month!:D At even 10c a text the free credit wouldn't even begin to cover it!

I'm with Three (yes the customer service is dreadful). But it works perfectly. No problem with coverage. And for E20 a month I get unlimited texts to all networks; free weekend calls to all networks.

I can't understand why the other networks (Tesco included) are so stingy with a mere 200 texts. FFS they're bursts of data!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

Freddie59 wrote: »
    The problem I have with moving to Tesco is that I send between 2000 and 2500 texts a month!:D At even 10c a text the free credit wouldn't even begin to cover it!

I'm with Three (yes the customer service is dreadful). But it works perfectly. No problem with coverage. And for E20 a month I get unlimited texts to all networks; free weekend calls to all networks.

I can't understand why the other networks (Tesco included) are so stingy with a mere 200 texts. FFS they're bursts of data!

I would go with three too, but their coverage is terrible where I live, even though i live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭knipper

Been looking at tescos capped plan. Does anyone know if it is 30 euro free with a ten euro top up( total 40euro credit) or is it 30euro including your ten euro top up ( total 30euro credit ).
    Can't tell from the way its stated on their website as below. Sounds like an excellent deal tho.

If you’d like to remain firmly in charge of you phone bill, but enjoy the value of Pay monthly, our capped plans are ideal. With our Capped Tariff Plans you can fix your monthly spend to €10, €20 or €30 so you only use your set bonus credit.
    Select the monthly subscription that suits you. We will credit your account as follows:
    • €10 subscription = €30 bonus credit
    • €20 subscription = €60 bonus credit
    • €30 subscription = €90 bonus credit
    If you use all your bonus credit during the month, just top-up your account with a Pay As You Go top-up.
    Please note: Bonus credit cannot be used for roaming, international calls, premium rate numbers and purchasing any add on bundles. You must top up to access these services.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 AndrewR

The 10 + 30 gives you a total of €40 euros "credit" for the month.
    Moved SWMBO off meteor bill-pay as she was running out talktime around the 20th of each month with the result that her €20 bill was increasing to €45 per month on average.
    Moved to Tesco €20 (+60) capped plan based on her usage (lots of talk, some texts) and so far so good. She hasn't had to topup once outside her contract in the 3 months she's been with Tesco.
    If I hadn't been able to avail of the Meteor €15 billpay deal I'd have switched to Tesco too but I generally don't come near my allocation of talk and texts + want data so easiest thing was to stay with Meteor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

For clarity, Meteor's international calling add-on is free - you just need to text "international" to 50104 to opt-in. I don't really understand why they make it necessary to do this though - why not just make this rate standard for all?

Can't find that on their website. Free to opt in, but you get charged 10c per minute to call a UK No.

Can't find that on their website. Free to opt in, but you get charged 10c per minute to call a UK No.

Yes. Free to opt in and 10 cent per minute to UK mobiles.

The opt-in details are here: http://www.meteor.ie/plans/international_call_rates/

There are other options for international calls on prepay plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yes. Free to opt in and 10 cent per minute to UK mobiles.

The opt-in details are here: http://www.meteor.ie/plans/international_call_rates/

There are other options for international calls on prepay plans.

Yea, I know all that because I was with Meteor up to November. But Kotek's claim is incorrect "For clarity, Meteor's international calling add-on is free - you just need to text "international" to 50104 to opt-in." is incorrect

As you rightly linked, there is no change since I was with them:)

Yea, I know all that because I was with Meteor up to November. But Kotek's claim is incorrect "For clarity, Meteor's international calling add-on is free - you just need to text "international" to 50104 to opt-in." is incorrect

As you rightly linked, there is no change since I was with them:)

Nope, the add-on is free. Opting in costs nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

One disadvantage AFAIK with Tesco Prepay and maybe Billpay is that there is a minimum charge per call i.e. a call lasting 1 second costs the same as a call lasting 59 seconds so everytime you call someone and the call goes to voice mail and you hang up immediately it costs 20c as opposed to <1c or whatever with the other networks. It can quickly add up

The throttled data speed is pretty low as well compared to other networks.

Apart form these they are a pretty decent operator and Meteor prices wouldn't be so low if Tesco weren't in the market

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

groom wrote: »
    One disadvantage AFAIK with Tesco Prepay and maybe Billpay is that there is a minimum charge per call i.e. a call lasting 1 second costs the same as a call lasting 59 seconds so everytime you call someone and the call goes to voice mail and you hang up immediately it costs 20c as opposed to <1c or whatever with the other networks. It can quickly add up ....

Yeah it's one to watch, although all the other operators have similar charges; Meteor, O2 and Vodafone have a 9c call set-up charge on Prepay.

In practice Tescos' charge can work out fairer, because they charge a one minute minimum call charge, but the other networks charge a 9c call set-up charge, there's a difference. The 9c is an extra charge for the first minute. Whereas Tesco charge you for the first full minute, regardless of the time you're actually on the call, there's no extra charge.

Although Tesco charge 20c for a one second call to voicemail, you'll be charged 9c with some networks, plus an additional charge for each second. Some Prepay plans on the other networks offer free voicemail, but not all.

What's much more interesting, and relevant for most people, is the price of a one minute call. A one minute call using Prepay with Meteor, O2 or Vodafone, costs their 9c call set up charge, plus their per minute charge, usually 29c. So that's 38c for a one minute call, instead of 20c for a one minute call with Tesco, that's almost half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭gipi

As a result of reading this thread, Tesco Mobile got another PAYG customer this week (thanks Mathepac!)

As well as the minimum charge call, I noticed the following with the webtext service.

Customers are offered 200 webtexts and 50 international webtexts per month by meeting certain T&Cs.

When sending my first webtext yesterday, I noticed that the max number of characters allowed in a text is 254 - which is just over 1.5 text messages (a standard text msg has 160 characters). But it's counted as 2 webtexts! So if you want to maximise the free offering, don't send text messages longer than 160 characters....if you've more to say, send it by separate texts!

• Advertisement

gipi wrote: »
    As a result of reading this thread, Tesco Mobile got another PAYG customer this week (thanks Mathepac!) ...
    Customers are offered 200 webtexts and 50 international webtexts per month by meeting certain T&Cs. ...
    You're welcome :) Just on the webtexts, they're up to 10c each from 20/02/2012 but you now get 250 free since 20/01/2012.

... Just on the webtexts ... you now get 250 free since 20/01/2012.
    Who posted that nonsense, the big eejit?

Tescomobile give 200 national free web-texts and 50 free international web-texts subject to their usual T&Cs.

Sorry if my misinformation caused any hassle or persuaded anyone to join who might otherwise have gone elsewhere.

One of my most senior moments yet. :(

Yeah 250 free webtexts is great but ..... with Tesco you only get them free for 30 days after you top-up by €10. The other networks (Meteor and O2) give them free all the time whether you top-up or not. You just need an active SIM on the network.

So -1 from me for Tesco Mobile on the web texts I'm afraid ..... :(

Meteor don't offer international webtexts though, do they? It was one of the reasons I didn't go with them.

gipi wrote: »
    Meteor don't offer international webtexts though, do they? It was one of the reasons I didn't go with them.

They don't. Meteor offer domestic webtexts only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Use the Cabbage App from Android to send the free webtexts on your phone through the app..... same for all networks too

They never work for me, I know a lot of people use them though, Cabbage and JSMS. But then I only have a stupidphone not a smartphone .... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mcnutt

what is wrong with tesco webtext, it won't send any texts. is anybody having the same problem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

mcnutt wrote: »
    what is wrong with tesco webtext, it won't send any texts. is anybody having the same problem?

Use this thread on Tesco webtexts which Paul from Tesco posts in>>>>http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056151979

• Advertisement

mcnutt wrote: »

I had this problem when I switched to TescoMobile in January - reported it via the online help/contact us facility and it was sorted within a day or so. Haven't had any problems since then (and I used it today).

Advertisement