Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joyeux Noel..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The secret of peace on earth is everyone drinking what I'm drinking. I couldn't be violent right now if I tried. Holy shee-it. Or is it shi'ite? Or Holy See-ite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

..to all who would take Christ out of Xmas. In the hope that there will be peace on earth for you all too at this time..

Ahh Skep, right back at you man. Happy Jesus' birthday. You know I have started categorising things. It's a huge amount of fun, to categorise things. Near as I can figure you can put Christians that post here in 6 categories.

These are the categories.

1. The Cunts. : These guys rock up and have no interest whatsoever in spreading the word of Jezuz or saving our souls. They just want to pick a fight, they know who they are and if pressed probably care more about the fact that people disagree with them than they care about those people 'forging a personal relationship with Jesus'. Their faith is shaky.

2. The Mentals. These lads and lasies really fucking believe there is a wizardesk monster that loves you and is just waiting for you to slip up so he can burn you with matches.

3. The Friendlies. These individuals believe with all their heart and soul that unless you are rocking out for Jesus then you must not be happy. (I kind of feel bad for these guys. They always seem like they had extremely unhappy teenagehoods. I hope that is not the case.)

4. The Ideologues. Even if these poor unfortunate people were to discover absolutely that Christianity was not true they would continue to argue that it was true. Their motivation? At one time I would have said it was the whole 'noble lie' thing. Now? I think it's more along the lines of "I chose to be on the red team. **** the blue team!".

5 and 6 also have dealies but I have actually somehow managed to bore myself mid-post, so I'll stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Drunk Strobe is drunk....

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

HUNK wrote: »
    Batman > Jesus.
    Santa > Jesus

Well that's all fine and dandy Gordon, but is Santa > Batman?

I think not, despite what Google says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

strobe wrote: »
    5 and 6 also have dealies but I have actually somehow managed to bore myself mid-post, so I'll stop.

Probably for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

..to all who would take Christ out of Xmas. In the hope that there will peace on earth for you all too at this time..

Well, to return the sentiment...

Jesus was born yesterday? Ha, ha, do you think we were?
    Poor pitiful little christians with your quaint little belief in magic and false promises...I wouln't normally wish ill on someone during my holiday time but for you lot I'll make an exception.....I hope your faith never wavers. :)

smokingman wrote: »
    Well, to return the sentiment...

Jesus was born yesterday? Ha, ha, do you think we were?
    Poor pitiful little christians with your quaint little belief in magic and false promises...I wouln't normally wish ill on someone during my holiday time but for you lot I'll make an exception.....I hope your faith never wavers. :)

We celebrate the birth of Jesus on the 25th. That is different than stating he was born on the 25th of December.

I can't imagine what sentiment is behind the rest of your post but it seems cruel. Peace on earth and good will to all men it is not.

Peace on earth and good will to all men it is not.

If the op was sincere in that wish then maybe I would have held back on my pity.....but I seriously don't think there was an ounce of it so my pity has been amplified by contempt.

Hope the rest of you enjoy your Harry Potter like superstitions though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I like to keep using use the word "Christmas" for the midwinter Santa festival.
    Eventually when it has lost all of its religious meaning, the few cranks left who try claim it as a religious holy day (holiday) will say ruefully "that used to be our word"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

recedite wrote: »
    I like to keep using use the word "Christmas" for the midwinter Santa festival.
    Eventually when it has lost all of its religious meaning, the few cranks left who try claim it as a religious holy day (holiday) will say ruefully "that used to be our word"

I imagine we will be all long gone before that happens so don't get your hopes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Doesn't matter. Some dead guy probably said the same about Thor's day, but he was right in the end.

If the op was sincere in that wish then maybe I would have held back on my pity.....but I seriously don't think there was an ounce of it so my pity has been amplified by contempt.

Hope the rest of you enjoy your Harry Potter like superstitions though :)

Well, thanks for your pity. But I suggest you keep it for those who need it more.

On a side note, I would have thought that pity is related to love in the same way that contempt is related to hate.

Aren't Christians always asking God to have pity on them?

Sarky wrote: »
    Aren't Christians always asking God to have pity on them?

The hivemind network is down for essential maintenance at the moment so I don't know what they are asking. But it is certainly possible that Christians are asking for pity right now.

On a side note, I would have thought that pity is related to love in the same way that contempt is related to hate.

I have nothing but love for my fellow homo sapiens, this is why my pity exists....you could be so much more and not waste your lives chasing ghosts.
    The contempt, you could say, is a result of the fine line between love and hate.

I have nothing but love for my fellow homo sapiens, this is why my pity exists....you could be so much more and not waste your lives chasing ghosts.
    The contempt, you could say, is a result of the fine line between love and hate.

Tough love, eh?

Well, quite aside from the fact that I don't chase ghosts, I beg to differ that I am wasting my life. You would have to know me first to make such an assertion. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio smokingman, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

But thanks for your concern.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ A bit of chill there, folks, on all sides, please.

Having read antiskeptic's OP with an open heart, I find that he was referring to this film:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyeux_No%C3%ABl

Peace, dudes + dudesses :)

Advertisement