Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joyeux Noel..

Options
  • 25-12-2011 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

..to all who would take Christ out of Xmas. In the hope that there will peace on earth for you all too at this time..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

You mean replace christ with an x?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Not quite. I think antiskeptic was being a little more subtle than you might realise.

Anyway, Happy Christmas to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Hey, I always wanted some condescending pity for Xmas! Yay!

There are too many awful carols in the background. Time for some Motorhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

..to all who would take Christ out of Xmas. In the hope that there will peace on earth for you all too at this time..

Is it part of your religious virtues to be smug and insincere? I'm having a great non-religious family gathering thanks very much. Also I didn't think Christians had a monopoly on "peace on earth"

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

christmas_troll_face_by_w4terboy-d4iega8.png

• Advertisement

Newaglish wrote: »
    Is it part of your religious virtues to be smug and insincere? I'm having a great non-religious family gathering thanks very much. Also I didn't think Christians had a monopoly on "peace on earth"

Who said anything about monopoly? Speaking of Monopoly my nephew got it for Christmas. I must say it's not the same as when I was a nipper. No cash, now you have credit cards.

Anyway, I read the post as expressing genuine well wishes to those who don't place the same significance on the celebration as perhaps a Christian might. I'm quite sure that you are having a marvellous non-religious holiday and more power to you for enjoying yourself, which was the point of the thread as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Who said anything about monopoly? Speaking of Monopoly my nephew got it for Christmas. I must say it's not the same as when I was a nipper. No cash, now you have credit cards.

Monopoly was always a horribly flawed game. Too long, too luck driven and too often it's clear who is going to win for ages. Though I won't begrudge those that just want a game where everyone already knows the rules (I think we're born with them ingrained)...
    This year I'm breaking out Cosmic Encounter, Lords of Vegas and Cash and Guns (a great party game) and then maybe some apples 2 apples. Will probably get a game of each in by the time we'd finish monopoly.
    Sorry I know this has nothin to do with religion but given the time of year I figured it would be better to share some new (and maybe useful) information from a gaming enthusiast. Merry Everyone!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Anyway, I read the post as expressing genuine well wishes to those who don't place the same significance on the celebration as perhaps a Christian might. I'm quite sure that you are having a marvellous non-religious holiday and more power to you for enjoying yourself, which was the point of the thread as far as I can see.

it reads as condescending pity to me

in any case, merry xmas to all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

bluewolf wrote: »
    in any case, merry xmas to all
    ... and a Happy Christmas to you and a happy New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Such a troll opening post. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

..to all who would take Christ out of Xmas.
    Just bringing back the real meaning of Saturnalia!

A merry midwinter festival to you and all!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

No cash, now you have credit cards.

but-why-thumb.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

wait, monopoly without cash?

6e94e05c6aa43b68e9b0631cc458df28.jpg

i love monopoly but nobody will ever play because it goes on too long
    i might persuade some people into scrabble

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

Jesus was born today so he could die for your right to not believe in him. :)

robindch wrote: »
    Just bringing back the real meaning of Saturnalia!

A merry midwinter festival to you and all!
    Christmas was the eclipsing of the winter solstice festivities by the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ.

... so you can celebrate short cold wintery days ... if that floats your boat ...
    ... or you could celebrate the awesome fact that God so loved each one of us that He humbled Himself to become Man to Save us.

... the choice is up to you.

PS Jesus loves you ... and 'Saturnalia' doesn't care about you!!!!:)

/\/ollog wrote: »
    He did that too!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Batman > Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

i love monopoly but nobody will ever play because it goes on too long
    i might persuade some people into scrabble
    Yeah, it's terrible with the electronic crap.
    It completely ruined it for me anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Jesus was born today so he could die for your right to not believe in him.
    Couldn't have expressed the central nuttiness of christianity better than that myself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

HUNK wrote: »
    Batman > Jesus.

...but no, like srsly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yeah, it's terrible with the electronic crap.
    It completely ruined it for me anyway.

Ugh it's terrible.

Picked it up years ago, thinking it would be the same.

Monopoly is just not worth it without the paper money!

Even the most zealous fundie fears the Batman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭yawha

And be tortured for eternity in hell as a result of exercising that right!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

robindch wrote: »
    Couldn't have expressed the central nuttiness of christianity better than that myself :)

No worse than a life spend believing in nothing....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

yawha wrote: »
    And be tortured for eternity in hell as a result of exercising that right!

Maybe some of us like to be slapped around a bit... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Things there are none of :

Christ in Xmas.

Things there are :

An i in Wii.

6e94e05c6aa43b68e9b0631cc458df28.jpg

It gets worse. Chance and Community Chest (I think they have different names) now only exist in digital form. A little electronic unit now sits in the centre of the board waiting for input. Not only does it replace all the cards and money, it also plays music for your entertainment. For example, every time you pass go the little speaker struggles to maintain integrity as it blasts out about 5 seconds of Celebrate! by Kool and the Gang or something like that. It begins to grate very quickly.

I dunno, I was always more of an Escape From Colditz type of guy. Actually, it was spectacularly lame.

I am amazed that people don't realise the arguments, frustration and yes, occasinally outright bloodshed that Monopoly causes at Christmas.

Next year try Arkham horror, nothing like a bit of squamous eldritch doom for Chrimbo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Well, whatever about the actual meaning of the OP (I wish I agreed with Fanny), have a great day and night everyone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Christians, they're always trying to take the life out of Wookie Life Day...

Advertisement