Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share your christmas hatred here

Options
  • 25-12-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭

So it' christmas. I hate it. Bah f*cking humbug. I'm not religious so don't care about that aspect. I'm not a fake socialite who pretends to care about my family for one specific day of the year. I see them everyday of the week. I don't see why family values and "cheer" are postponed for just one day every year, what's wrong with every other day. It's all so fake. I don't like the arguments, the stress, the rows when everyone gets into the same room. I HATE christmas. Just leave me alone.

Christmas is only important if you have kids, it's really only about them IMO.

Anyone else share my hatred of the festive season?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

You forgot to mention all the delicious food to be had!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

HazDanz wrote: »
    You forgot to mention all the delicious food to be had!

You can't have it any other day of the year??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I hate Christmas Pudding. That's about it. If I remember anything else I'll let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Dunny! wrote: »
    You can't have it any other day of the year??

You can't have it served up to you with as many roast spuds as you like any other day of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Elessar wrote: »
    So it' christmas. I hate it. Bah f*cking humbug. I'm not religious so don't care about that aspect. I'm not a fake socialite who pretends to care about my family for one specific day of the year. I see them everyday of the week. I don't see why family values and "cheer" are postponed for just one day every year, what's wrong with every other day. It's all so fake. I don't like the arguments, the stress, the rows when everyone gets into the same room. I HATE christmas. Just leave me alone.

Christmas is only important if you have kids, it's really only about them IMO.

Anyone else share my hatred of the festive season?

What a miserable bitter ol bag, people like you are bitter 364 days a year the reason you hate christmas so much is because people tend to be happier which compounds your bitterness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

That's not nice, Shadowcomplex. Leave the OP alone. I don't care about Christmas,but i see how much others enjoy it,so i just go with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

It's the only time you hear Cliff Richard songs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Waking up after night of drinking to:

"Come on, time for Mass! God is looking after you, God is looking after you!"

Me stubborness prevailed for yet another year, I came back home for the food not for feckin' cold Mass on a pissy wet day.

Oh......I guess I came home for the family, too :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

TheZohan wrote: »
    You can't have it served up to you with as many roast spuds as you like any other day of the year.

It's also the only day of the year where half a selection box and pringles equals a fine breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

What a miserable bitter ol bag, people like you are bitter 364 days a year the reason you hate christmas so much is because people tend to be happier which compounds your bitterness

Who's bitter now? Personal abuse reported.

Cliff Richard songs, that's another reason! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

shadowcomplex smash! From your post you seem very angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Oh christmas time...big feckin whoop.....all my good friends are living abroad now and I'm single(first time being single at xmas). I did however get a lully watch thanks to my daddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

OP I could give you a AH smart answer but given the day that's in it...

I understand what you mean. I don't look at it that way myself but I can see how one could. The truth nobody could have a good day (anyday) by simply resisting a bit of fun. It's not going to happen by itself, you have to create it. If you don't get on with the people around you, try & change it. Step up. You will defo feel better.

I haven't lived with my family for years and in many ways we're very different people, but that's cool. I'm just waiting for them to get ready and we'll be about our day. I could not bother and I know for a fact that if I didn't try I'd have a **** day. I don't want to have a **** day so I'm not going to let myself. Sometimes it's not plain sailing and others won't be waiting for you with open arms but you can turn it around.

Christmas isn't automatically great craic handed to you on a plate, it will be what you make it.

It's early in the day yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

the mate was supposed to drop off some pressies today, i tried to wake him but no go,

so i just shat on his head, killing 2 birds with the 1 load.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭Elessar

OP I could give you a AH smart answer but given the day that's in it...

I understand what you mean. I don't look at it that way myself but I can see how one could. The truth nobody could have a good day (anyday) by simply resisting a bit of fun. It's not going to happen by itself, you have to create it. If you don't get on with the people around you, try & change it. Step up. You will defo feel better.

I haven't lived with my family for years and in many ways we're very different people, but that's cool. I'm just waiting for them to get ready and we'll be about our day. I could not bother and I know for a fact that if I didn't try I'd have a **** day. I don't want to have a **** day so I'm not going to let myself. Sometimes it's not plain sailing and others won't be waiting for you with open arms but you can turn it around.

Christmas isn't automatically great craic handed to you on a plate, it will be what you make it.

True, but why should I have to like it? Another reason I don't like it is the intolerance of others when you do not share their views. It's fake smiles all round unless you want people moaning at you or calling you bitter (ref: shadowcomplex post above).

I respect if you like christmas, but you also need to respect me if I don't. In the real world, that's not so easy. Family expect you to enjoy it. I don't because of the reasons I listed above. And I don't feel like I should be forced to enjoy it for the benefit of others either. Have a good christmas guys but leave me out of it! If only it was as easy in real life. :D

EDIT: I'm not a total scroodge, I will happily celebrate birthdays, homecomings and other occasions throughout the year but the fakeness of christmas is what really get's me. Then the stress of everyone around you. I get the feeling everyone does it because they feel they are "supposed" to.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

..and a merry freakin' christmas to you too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Share your christmas hatred here

I'm lost for words when I see people getting drunk. It is so ineffably sad, a waste. It's as if they're so unhappy in social environments that they try to block things out by drinking too much.

I'd respect them more if they had the courage to stop fulfilling social engagements that make them so uncomfortable that they drink so much. Their partners who pressurise them into these situations should step back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I hate noisy, demanding little brats.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Hey OP, it's not really a case of disrespecting your point of view, because I (like most others) would not mind either way. Again I understand why you feel the way you do. You can't change anyone else but yourself, and my post last post was offered on the basis that if you can bring yourself to enjoy yourself amongst family then do. If you can't then, you won't.

I have relatives I can't stand, I visited them & other nicer ones with the rest of my immediate family about 2 hours ago. It's not easy, but I did it for the sake of the people I like being around. However I know only too well that I can turn around and try & make amends with those I don't get on with, but they're just visitors too so I'm lucky if I see them twice a year. They don't care about me & the feeling's mutual. No big loss. Now if this was how I felt about everyone then for the sake of my sanity today would be a good day to do something about it.

This isn't supposed to be a day of pressured "fake" smiles. It's a day that you could enjoy, where "fake" doesn't need to be part of it. If you must be absolutely insincere with every smile then you've to ask yourself what you can do to turn it around.

It's like 2 people watching a film. One of them thinks it's **** and the other thinks it's great. Regardless of how good the film is, I think most people would prefer to be the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Mikel91

You know what I got for Christmas this year? It was a banner ****in' year at the old Bender family. I got a carton of cigarettes. The old man grabbed me and said "Hey! Smoke up Johnny!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I think people who dislike Christmas should try an imagine a Northern European winter without a mid-winter festival. In November there is nothing to look forward to - no midwinter break, and you are probably keeping your vacation days for Summer - but 3 solid months of winter, winter, winter.

That would kill of half the population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

I have a wild suggestion - if you like Christmas, knock yourself out. If you don't, then don't and we'll all be fine doing what we like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I have a wild suggestion - if you like Christmas, knock yourself out. If you don't, then don't and we'll all be fine doing what we like.

Exactly!

I grew up not celebrating Christmas, but as an adult, I realise some people in my life love it (or certain aspects of it). I only do as much as I'm happy with! Dinner and pressies, namely :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

A day to remember Jesus. A great day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

But the OP's point is that it is socially expected that people like Christmas. Its not an even competition between likers and dislikers.

She has a point. The late Christopher Hitchens said its a bit like a one party state in Late December - all the songs, all the literature, most of the TV celebrate the glory of Dear Leader ( Santa) and his festival. There is nothing else for a week, and little else for a month.

I love it ( mostly, some extended family aside) but I can see why people who don't might feel pressurised to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

bitter fks... go shout it into a bin..why you have to spread your anti social **** here?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

So it' christmas. I hate it. Bah f*cking humbug. I'm not religious so don't care about that aspect. I'm not a fake socialite who pretends to care about my family for one specific day of the year. I see them everyday of the week. I don't see why family values and "cheer" are postponed for just one day every year, what's wrong with every other day. It's all so fake. .

That's good for you. We aren't all lucky that we get to see out loved ones every day.
    I have 4 brothers, rarely with work/their own families are we all the in same room at the same time. Christmas being one of the very few occasions.
    I don't like the arguments, the stress, the rows when everyone gets into the same room

Thankfully that doesn't happen with my family, feel sorry that it happens with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I like Christmas Day.. just not the 4+ weeks leading up to it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I missed mass last night to go on the piss, mom told me to be back by midnight. Got back around half 2/3.

I literally don't think my mom has even been this annoyed. What a miserable day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Don't like Christmas either, it all seems to be about presents and spending money. But still, I let people celebrate it, as long as they don't drag me into mass (I'm an Atheist, btw) ;)

Advertisement