Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 money card mixup

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

so if you paid for something with a cheque, and after 2 weeks the cheque wasn't cashed, would you just spend the funds in your account that covered the cheque and say well you never cashed the cheque in time so i'm not paying for it after it bounces?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

scary wrote: »
    so if you paid for something with a cheque, and after 2 weeks the cheque wasn't cashed, would you just spend the funds in your account that covered the cheque and say well you never cashed the cheque in time so i'm not paying for it after it bounces?

The "cheque" never bounced though. The purchase is paid for and nothing I did delayed that. Your analogy isnt comparable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

MungBean wrote: »
    I dont see that as wrong though. If I'm left will a bill for services rendered then I am left with a bill. But to insinuate I'm somehow guilty of deception here isnt on. I have done nothing wrong regardless of what I owe at the end of all this.

I really don't see how you can continue to make those claims. You knowingly spent money that was not yours. You were fully aware of this fact, so it amounts to nothing short of deception on your part. You are completely and utterly at fault for this situation, and to even question if you still owe the money or not is ludicrous.
    They do not necessarily have to reflect my moral standing and to infer that I am morally corrupt because I have put myself in a position to owe an amount without breaking any laws or orchestrating the situation where the money could be re-spent isnt fair.

You haven't broken any law, but you have spent money as per the terms of a credit agreement between you and O2. You now owe this money to them, both legally and morally. Trying to get out of paying this by implying that it was your money to spend and it's though luck on O2/the retailer for not collecting on the credit in time is both legally and morally wrong. Having had this already explained to you many times, you're still trying to deny any responsibility, which is probably why people are now questioning you on a personal level.
    Can they legally force me to purchase a top up for a pay as you go card ?

They can, and most likely will, pursue you by any means available to them for the money you owe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

jor el wrote: »
    I really don't see how you can continue to make those claims. You knowingly spent money that was not yours. You were fully aware of this fact, so it amounts to nothing short of deception on your part. You are completely and utterly at fault for this situation, and to even question if you still owe the money or not is ludicrous.

Explain how money I put onto the card, which was allocated for a transaction and then given back to me by o2 who disassociated the money with the transaction was not my money. The rest of your argument implies I was aware it was not my money so forgive me if I cannot take that ridiculous assumption seriously and ignore the rest of that argument.
    You haven't broken any law, but you have spent money as per the terms of a credit agreement between you and O2. You now owe this money to them, both legally and morally. Trying to get out of paying this by implying that it was your money to spend and it's though luck on O2/the retailer for not collecting on the credit in time is both legally and morally wrong. Having had this already explained to you many times, you're still trying to deny any responsibility, which is probably why people are now questioning you on a personal level.

I have not denied responsibility. I have questioned it in several posts but never denied it. You agree I have broken no laws and your issue on the moral and legal obligation falls on the credit now owed to o2. Which I have not denied any responsibility in owing or stated that I will not repay it. Nor have I stated it would be morally right to do so. I am not arguing that I am not obliged to pay whats owed by implying it was my money to spend. I am implying I did not do anything wrong by spending it which is what others are jumping on. So please do not misrepresent my argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Explain how money I put onto the card, which was allocated for a transaction and then given back to me by o2 who disassociated the money with the transaction was not my money. The rest of your argument implies I was aware it was not my money so forgive me if I cannot take that ridiculous assumption seriously and ignore the rest of that argument.

Well, from your own opening post
    Payment seemed to go through, money went off the card and stuff arrived. Recently I had a look at the account and seen the money for that previous purchase was never taken and there was no record of it on the account.

There was no record of the payment ever going through, so you knew that the original payment had not been made, and you went and spent the money on something else. How you can claim this is anything other than you spending money that you knew was not yours is beyond me. Your claim that you didn't know that this wasn't yours to spend is laughable, and completely unbelievable.

If you were not aware that this was not your money, then who's did you think it was? Seriously, I've never heard someone trying to push such a flawed argument as far before. To put it in the simplest terms I can think of; you put €X on your card, you spend €X+Y, so where exactly did you think the €Y came out of, or who did you think was going to pay it?
    I have not denied responsibility. I have questioned it in several posts but never denied it. You agree I have broken no laws and your issue on the moral and legal obligation falls on the credit now owed to o2. Which I have not denied any responsibility in owing or stated that I will not repay it. Nor have I stated it would be morally right to do so. I am not arguing that I am not obliged to pay whats owed by implying it was my money to spend. I am implying I did not do anything wrong by spending it which is what others are jumping on. So please do not misrepresent my argument.

I'm sorry, but which part of your argument is being misrepresented, when this is what you have asked from the outset? You can't get much more denial than to say; I did nothing wrong.
    My question is, seeing as its a pay as you go card and I did nothing wrong am I obliged to cover that overdraft ? Can I just leave the card and get a new one ?

Your claim is that you did no wrong, and you also ask are you obliged to even pay the debt, or can you just walk away from it. You've also stated that "I didnt spend anything that o2 did not allow me to spend", but what you've failed to say is that you spent more money than what you put on the card in the first place. So yes, yes of course you must pay this, and no, no you cannot just walk away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You've got answers here, and just because you don't like them doesn't make them wrong. As you just appear to be content to trot out the same line over and over, there doesn't seem to be much point leaving this open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement