Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North West Electronics/BlueBox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭chris_ie

Even now I get packet loss when pinging 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS)

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

chris_ie wrote: »
    Even now I get packet loss when pinging 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS)
    Yep my speeds not effected yet (1.1MB on a Steam download here) but the packet loss is up to about 4%.

Broadband down at home for last hour or so and this just after I was told by eamil that they were closing my ticket because they didnt have any issues and I had downloaded quite a bit in the last while which might affect my connection, even though the majority of downloading of any large files is done in the middle of the night therefore not affecting other users and not against fair usage. Like banging your head against a brick wall. (Larger downloads recently because of work and a few games released, didnt realise I wasnt allowed!) ISPs should know now that most people are streaming from Netflix, buying and downloading games via Steam, XBox, Playstation etc these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

Down here too and can't get through to them on the phone either.
    Frustrating but nothing can be done

Down here too and can't get through to them on the phone either.
    Frustrating but nothing can be done

• Advertisement

Same here, down for an hour, back up now though.

Same here, down for an hour, back up now though.

Yeah back up but got 0.22MB on a speed test there. Will check again after a while to see if it settles.

yep, back up now

3987062262.png

fast for me post 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭fooker!

You guys are lucky! I've been waiting a week for mine to come back online!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ITRules

They Fail so many times..........I have to find out how to get refund from them.They treat costumers at so poor level ! Disaster ! If someone could help how the protect us from treating like that.I'm sure there is many people who would like to get some moneys back for so poor services ! The contention of connection is not as they described 48 users for every 50mb/s.We gatered 12 local users of NWE and performed a speed test at the same time,result............0.22mb download 0.12 upload for EVERYONE ! They Upgarading their systems all year round !!!! Fine !!! But who pay the price for it ? Someone have to look closer to this buisness,people loosing moneys for services like ancient gsm network !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

fooker! wrote: »
    You guys are lucky! I've been waiting a week for mine to come back online!

Sorry, more fool you. If I was getting a service as bad as many on here are saying, I would have cancelled my DD and let them take me to court, cos they surely would lose.

Fooker.Ask for refund,they fail deliver services you have paid for !!! Don't let them go away just like that.Ring Irish customer care line and ask for advise how to proceed to it.It's the law !

3987134975.png
    Packet loss is around 2%. Much higher speed than usual for this time of the evening BUT I expect it will **** itself within the hour. I was actually on my Three stick for the past 4 hours and it was grand (¬3Mb, 50ms ping) lol.

Niman has right ! If we will gather together (so much as possible) take them to court and tell the story to every local paper in the country,they have to take action.At least,they will have some money to refund for so many unhappy customers.We have to do something.

ITRules wrote: »
    Niman has right ! If we will gather together (so much as possible) take them to court and tell the story to every local paper in the country,they have to take action.At least,they will have some money to refund for so many unhappy customers.We have to do something.

Something needs to be done about it alright. I'd imagine if 50+ customers showed up to their office threatening legal action they'd start listening. Maybe a Facebook group is in order to organize something?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sorry, more fool you. If I was getting a service as bad as many on here are saying, I would have cancelled my DD and let them take me to court, cos they surely would lose.
    Some of us have no alternative, realistically.

Something needs to be done about it alright. I'd imagine if 50+ customers showed up to their office threatening legal action they'd start listening. Maybe a Facebook group is in order to organize something?

Great Idea.I promise,I will spend 30min a day to warn every single person looking for broadband."Don't go that way" as a proof I will show every email I send to them with ignorant and absolutely unusefull help in reply.

If we will go to court,I'm first in line after all interruptions they owes me around 100 Euro easy ! 100.......some xmass prezent.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭fooker!

Yeah I know, but when I have no alternative what can I do? its not like I can just go to someone else cause there is no one else here unfortunately! There is 3 but I'm trying it out at the minute and its hit and miss connection wise so far!
    ITRules wrote: »
    Fooker.Ask for refund,they fail deliver services you have paid for !!! Don't let them go away just like that.Ring Irish customer care line and ask for advise how to proceed to it.It's the law !

ill have to look into that, I think there is a minimum time it has to be offline though ill give them a email to see!

excollier wrote: »
    Some of us have no alternative, realistically.

They have no choice ! If we all cancell our DD for treting like nobody they will lern or not.....but we cant forget,we are the 'customers' we pay for goods.If the goods are not delivered the refund is reguired !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you are being charged for a service, the least you can expect is to have a decent level of supply. Well that's what I think anyway. Maybe you are more understanding?

I know if you are not getting 20meg when paying for 50meg, they can get out of it with an argument that their advertising says "up to 50meg", but if you are getting no service for a week, or 1meg or whatever, then I think you will win any court case hands down.

I would advise you to start keeping records and examples of the service you are getting from NWE, email them and tell them that you need to start getting a better service or else you will be contacting OFCOM or whoever the relevant body is. Even mention the papers, Joe Duffy, Shaun Doherty etc. I would mention whoever is needed to get this sorted out. They are taking the mickey with this service and getting paid handsomely for it.

I am not a FB'er and have no time for it, but I think a group on it would do no harm. If any of you know anyone in the local papers, get them to call the company and ask for an interview about the service, as they are hearing reports of terrible service.

My own brother recently cancelled his contract with them, I didn't know he was a customer. He said they were awful.

• Advertisement

If you are being charged for a service, the least you can expect is to have a decent level of supply. Well that's what I think anyway. Maybe you are more understanding?

I know if you are not getting 20meg when paying for 50meg, they can get out of it with an argument that their advertising says "up to 50meg", but if you are getting no service for a week, or 1meg or whatever, then I think you will win any court case hands down.

I would advise you to start keeping records and examples of the service you are getting from NWE, email them and tell them that you need to start getting a better service or else you will be contacting OFCOM or whoever the relevant body is. Even mention the papers, Joe Duffy, Shaun Doherty etc. I would mention whoever is needed to get this sorted out. They are taking the mickey with this service and getting paid handsomely for it.

I am not a FB'er and have no time for it, but I think a group on it would do no harm. If any of you know anyone in the local papers, get them to call the company and ask for an interview about the service, as they are hearing reports of terrible service.

My own brother recently cancelled his contract with them, I didn't know he was a customer. He said they were awful.

Exactly,this is the way to do it.I wonder how does work ? They provide services in Republic but headquarter is in NI.Wonder if they pay taxes to revenue.....they are awfull such unpleasant to speak with,they listen you but answear is always the same-technical issue,upgrading,others.Your problem is not important at all,they wont you to pay for their problems.Ridiculous ! Connection never have a half of 50mb/s as described.Thats why we have so many problems with connection.There is any institution in Republic can take legal action against treating customers like that ?

It all seems to have gone down hill since their upgrades. I'm fed up dealing with them but won't let it go until it's sorted. Gave up on the speed issue before.

It all seems to have gone down hill since their upgrades. I'm fed up dealing with them but won't let it go until it's sorted. Gave up on the speed issue before.

Whenever my contract is run to the over,give them a kick to the ass and never look backward's again !
    I am waiting until fibre optic will appear near enough to get the group of neighbours and buy the best available package. Use the same tchnology (WiiMax) as NWE to set the connections and you have no more problems with them,and definitely cheaper.

Whenever my contract is run to the over,give them a kick to the ass and never look backward's again !
    I am waiting until fibre optic will appear near enough to get the group of neighbours and buy the best available package. Use the same tchnology (WiiMax) as NWE to set the connections and you have no more problems with them,and definitely cheaper.

P.S They upgrading all year round,but you pay for it by lack access to the web.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Well this does not really fix anything...

So you take them to court... To do what? Recoup the 20pounds (28 euro ) per month?

Probably would not pay you to take the day off work!

There are a lot of people in Donegal that have no other provider, rural areas where if they cancel their contract OK "They win" over NWE but are still left with no other alternative.

Rock (me) hard place!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jsn.mcclintock

I am in the exact same boat, stick with NWE or don't have broadband.

To be fair, my connection used to be very unreliable and was constantly dropping but I took a stab at buying a decent router to replace the one I bought on day one and for the most part it has been good since then.

I still find it near impossible to stream movies/Netflix in the evenings though, although downloads seem to be quick enough.

I am in the exact same boat, stick with NWE or don't have broadband.

To be fair, my connection used to be very unreliable and was constantly dropping but I took a stab at buying a decent router to replace the one I bought on day one and for the most part it has been good since then.

I still find it near impossible to stream movies/Netflix in the evenings though, although downloads seem to be quick enough.

Yeah alot of us are in the same situation. My connection was fine a few years back. I had issues with speed but gave up and accepted 10-14 being what I would get. That has dropped since to 4-10 in the evenings. I began having issues with gaming (unplayable at the mintue) and any time I need to log on to work from home in the evenings. So began investigating and found packet loss being the likely culprit. Gave them a load of traceroutes examples etc but nearly a year later no further and service getting worse.

The routers I have are good and I've tried multiple firmwares on them, but the issues isnt in the house so not much point.

Regarding your Netflix, have you tried a different DNS? Sometimes that can resolve quality issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jsn.mcclintock

Yeah alot of us are in the same situation. My connection was fine a few years back. I had issues with speed but gave up and accepted 10-14 being what I would get. That has dropped since to 4-10 in the evenings. I began having issues with gaming (unplayable at the mintue) and any time I need to log on to work from home in the evenings. So began investigating and found packet loss being the likely culprit. Gave them a load of traceroutes examples etc but nearly a year later no further and service getting worse.

The routers I have are good and I've tried multiple firmwares on them, but the issues isnt in the house so not much point.

Regarding your Netflix, have you tried a different DNS? Sometimes that can resolve quality issues?

I think I signed up for the 50mb but they told me I could only get the 10mb for whatever reason so that's all I'm paying for. I usually get around 2mb during peak times, highest I ever recorded was a little over the 10mb but that was a flash in the pan. I quickly ran UOTrace on Sunday evening. If I remember correctly, ping was very high just before it reached them and then it peaked after them also. I'll run it again this evening and I'll take note of the actual results.

As far as customer service goes, its terrible. IF you can get talking to someone then I find them to be quite abrupt and not very helpful, they just seem like a small time company of a couple of people working out of a small shed out the back of someone's house in Derry.

I've actually since cancelled my Netflix, I was running an American DNS on the PS3 and it was about the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

I think I signed up for the 50mb but they told me I could only get the 10mb for whatever reason so that's all I'm paying for. I usually get around 2mb during peak times, highest I ever recorded was a little over the 10mb but that was a flash in the pan. I quickly ran UOTrace on Sunday evening. If I remember correctly, ping was very high just before it reached them and then it peaked after them also. I'll run it again this evening and I'll take note of the actual results.

As far as customer service goes, its terrible. IF you can get talking to someone then I find them to be quite abrupt and not very helpful, they just seem like a small time company of a couple of people working out of a small shed out the back of someone's house in Derry.

I've actually since cancelled my Netflix, I was running an American DNS on the PS3 and it was about the same.

American DNS would be slower, but the reason you are not getting 50Meg is probably due to the fact they have over conflated the hub in your area as it is, so they would struggle to give you 10Meg nevermind 50Meg.

• Advertisement

Was down for 20 minutes again this evening. Back up now, this is what the 10Mbit package is capable of when nobody is on the network after it being down lol:
    3989348005.png

Was a matter of 30 minutes yesterday after it going down that it was back to 100% contention, lets see how long it is today.

Advertisement