Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North West Electronics/BlueBox

Options
1192021222325»

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Maybe its hype, maybe it isnt.
    It's hype.
    From what I have read 3g/4g was not designed as an alternative to landline broadband, whereas 5G is, and in many cases surpasses it.
    5G was designed as an incremental improvement to 4G/LTE. It is being sold as an alternative to fibre broadband. Those are different things.
    Why would they need to send fibre to the mast? They would surely just send everything over the air.
    Using the totally unlimited and not at all congested microwave spectrum? I wonder why nobody has ever thought of that?
    It will be awesome for a good while as hardly anyone will have 5g enabled devices.
    Yeah, 3G was amazing for a couple of months too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

So much negativity young man. Youve become cynical.

As I said, I have 4G, the main issue is the speed isnt as fast as Id like, but much more importantly Id like a better quality of connection with less packet loss and lower latency. 5G does provide that the same way that 4G provides an improvement over the same using 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭fooker!

thebo wrote: »
    Have speeds improved much with this company since?

I got upgraded to the newest rooftop antenna they supply back in September for free, other than a bit of bother with the internet disconnecting every 5-10 minutes for the first few weeks due to a badly fitted rj45 connector that they did fix in the end, speeds have been ok the last 2 or so months! usually always around the 8-10mb range, though ping can be a bit higher than usual at peak times and a tiny bit of packet loss if that matters to you

customer service is still pretty crap. I had an outage on monday the first in a long time, it did come back online that evening but as is the usual for them they had their phone off the hook and dont reply to emails when things go wrong!

FTTH just went live here and I will be moving to that in the new year as even though things are going ok at the minute with bluebox that could change in an instant going by past experiences!

So much negativity young man. Youve become cynical.
    That's one way of looking at it. I'm not sure what you're basing your optimism on other than hype - your remark about being able to achieve better-than-fibre service without fibre to the mast indicates that it's not based on an informed understanding of the technical issues - but I'll stop being cynical when people stop claiming that the laws of physics have been repealed.
    As I said, I have 4G, the main issue is the speed isnt as fast as Id like, but much more importantly Id like a better quality of connection with less packet loss and lower latency. 5G does provide that the same way that 4G provides an improvement over the same using 3G.
    Most of 5G's improvements will be apparent in urban environments, by the nature of how those improvements work. But you keep hanging in there for your better-than-fibre service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That's one way of looking at it. I'm not sure what you're basing your optimism on other than hype - your remark about being able to achieve better-than-fibre service without fibre to the mast indicates that it's not based on an informed understanding of the technical issues - but I'll stop being cynical when people stop claiming that the laws of physics have been repealed. Most of 5G's improvements will be apparent in urban environments, by the nature of how those improvements work. But you keep hanging in there for your better-than-fibre service.

I'm looking outside my window right now, I am staring at the mast only a few hundred metres away. I will be fine.

• Advertisement

I'm looking outside my window right now, I am staring at the mast only a few hundred metres away. I will be fine.

OK, but you personally being fine isn't the same thing as not needing the NBP anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

See .. here is your problem: 4G technology is not even max'd in Ireland ...

The problem is NOT 4G .. The problem is the bandwidth to the mast. If there was more bandwidth 4G would perform better.

And that issue isn't going away with 5G. It's staying the exact same. 5G supposedly performs better on the last mile. But that doesn't matter when everything else is maxed out.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hamill92 wrote: »
    No.

I’m a ex customer of Bluebox and their customer service is shocking.

Contact the company call Beacon.
    Currently paying £25 for 10MB and that’s enough for us. Speed is never under 5Mb

Beacon customer here, and I have to admit that recently I have been disappointed with the speeds I get.

I have emailed them on a few occasions and got quick replies and usually the slow speeds were short lived, but over the last few weeks my speed tests are showing an increasing amount of poor download speeds.

Emailed them again last night as only getting 2mb. Paying for 20mb.

This morning it's 2.5mb.

Worrying too, sometimes Speedtest app shows Bluebox as the service provider!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I just did a speed check (Beacon here too) - Ping 31, Download 9.15, Upload 1.83. I'm paying for the 10mb so I can't complain :)

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Just ran another, getting 12.5/4.

Better but not what I'm paying for.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just ran another, getting 12.5/4.

Better but not what I'm paying for.

What's the contention ratio for your service? No residential is uncontended. Can't be.

Because unconteded service would be 10s of times the price.

Even your provider pays more per Mbit at the point where they buy their upstream. Also .. how did you test your speed?

A lot of speed test servers are unreliable. And it's important to test with a computer connected by cable to your router. Wi-Fi results in an unreliable result.

If you tested for example using Wi-Fi to any odd server at peak time and got 12 Mbit then that sounds pretty good for a connection spec'd at 20 Mbit residential .

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7,487 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Penfailed wrote: »
    I just did a speed check (Beacon here too) - Ping 31, Download 9.15, Upload 1.83. I'm paying for the 10mb so I can't complain :)

Our internet was sh1te last night. Just tried another speed test - Ping 37, Download 6.46, Upload 1.77.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Marlow wrote: »
    What's the contention ratio for your service? No residential is uncontended. Can't be.

Because unconteded service would be 10s of times the price.

Even your provider pays more per Mbit at the point where they buy their upstream. Also .. how did you test your speed?

A lot of speed test servers are unreliable. And it's important to test with a computer connected by cable to your router. Wi-Fi results in an unreliable result.

If you tested for example using Wi-Fi to any odd server at peak time and got 12 Mbit then that sounds pretty good for a connection spec'd at 20 Mbit residential .

/M

Not sure what the contention ratio is, must try to find out.

I use Speedtest.net for all my tests. I also got feedback from Beacon asking me to connect a laptop wired and see what I was getting. This was a few days ago and not 100% sure, but think it was around 14mb.

I appreciate with wifi you won't get the 20mb they are selling (in fact I did get 20mb all the time for the 1st few months on their service, I guess they added more customers since and hence the drop off), but at the same time they can't expect people to use a wired service in this day and age.

That has nothing to do with this day in age at all.

When you have a problem and want a reliable result, then you have to follow a strict procedure. If you don't do that, then you are the only one to blame for the results.

Wi-Fi adds uncertain elements to the test. It operates in unlicensed frequencies and other devices can interfere with it causing bad speeds. Even your baby monitor or microwave oven. With a cabled connection you at least know nothing interferes with that.

Also. Speedtest.net all well and good. But always test to more than one server. Not all servers are equally good.

And then remember, that when you do a speedtest nothing else in your house can be using the internet connection at the same time. The Speedtest works by filling up your internet connection and measuring that. If your daughter or son is on youtube at the same time as you testing, then the result will be 3-6 Mbit lower. And that's not the fault of your provider, but your own fault for not testing right.

/M

Advertisement