Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North West Electronics/BlueBox

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cushte

editorsean wrote: »
    From a quick check, they are two independent companies:

Beacon Broadband LTD:
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/NI638257

Bluebox Broadband LTD:
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/NI059582

Beacon Broadband's address matches up with Com Cubed Computers and unsurprisingly the Whois registrant is also Com Cubed.

http://www.comcubed.co.uk/contact

It'll be interesting to see how quickly they cover the county. Interesting what a little competition does for speed. ;)

thanks for that sean, thats a handy website. seems no connection between shareholders of both companies.

maybe my broadband is getting a bit better because people are moving away from nwe/bluebox. i cant really complain these days though, im getting fairly good speeds off peak. peak times its under 2 mbps but still fast enough for me.
    i agree a bit of competition will be good for nwe and if beacon are any way good they wont be long getting customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭thebo

Hi

Do nwe throttle connections if your downloading alot. Ive bought few ps4 games online which are 40gb+. I'm planning to download only after midnight and leaving them downloading overnight.

Have many of you downloaded games, nwe say unlimited downloads but we know this is a vague term used by many ISP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Penfailed

thebo wrote: »
    Have many of you downloaded games, nwe say unlimited downloads but we know this is a vague term used by many ISP's.

Santa brought the kids an XBox. It took forever to download FIFA 17 and Forza 6 with NWE.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Mine has been good these last few months so they have definitely done something different.

I kind of draw the line at downloading games.

I am happy if ping is low and I can perhaps stream Netflix which really only needs about a 2mb connection. Log into work and work remotely and have the quality of my Skype calls clear.

For literally 24 months the service struggled with the above.

But last number of months I am seeing 7 to 10mb.

I have downloaded games but with a game being 15 to 40Gigs I know that taking myself to "Game" is ultimately going to be faster than downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Mines has been between 2-4mb the last couple of weeks running off the barnesmore mast its a complete joke.

• Advertisement

schizo1014 wrote: »
    Mines has been between 2-4mb the last couple of weeks running off the barnesmore mast its a complete joke.

i have been getting 2-4 mb during the day and late at night but from 4 o clock to 10.30- 11p.m. is between 20 - 100 kbps. it takes nearly 20 mins to do a speedtest. Utterly useless between those hours.
    A neighbour made the switch to beacon broadband and they are extremely happy with it, lowest speed was 21 mbps but its usually around 28-30mbps. I think i might make the switch too,I think its slightly more expensive but this service is beyond a joke. Nwe has been talking about making investments in infrastructure and updating hardware for too long now and ive seen no improvements. Anyone here know if imagine are rolling out in inishowen area anytime soon?

cushte wrote: »
    lowest speed was 21 mbps but its usually around 28-30mbps.

It depends on which package you go for though, 10, 20, 30 or 40Mb.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,156 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But don't Beacon promise you that you'll get what.you pay for? So if you pay for 10meg, it will be 10meg, all the time.

Others advertising "up to 50meg" and giving you 10meg or less is just taking the mickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭fooker!

Well things running good didnt last long!, it's gone back to being crap after 5-6pm till late at night for me!

Is bluebox down for anyone at the moment?

• Advertisement

Is bluebox down for anyone at the moment?

mines is "up" at the minute.getting a lightning fast download speed of .41mbps
    :eek:ping was 243ms

neighbour getting 8.14mbps down, 1.84 up and 31ms ping with beacon 10meg package:o

cushte wrote: »
    mines is "up" at the minute.getting a lightning fast download speed of .41mbps
    :eek:ping was 243ms

Mine isn't even connecting atm so I dunno if its the mast or what is wrong

Bluebox always plays up in windy weather...

Mine was saying it was having a DNS Problem yesterday as well, Not able to access websites etc for a while

fooker! wrote: »
    Mine was saying it was having a DNS Problem yesterday as well, Not able to access websites etc for a while

Is yours working now? Mine is still down tis a joke

Yes it came back on a few hours later!
    Is it connected but just not loading sites?

Yes it came back on a few hours later!
    Is it connected but just not loading sites?

Yeah that's exactly what its like

You could try changing the dns settings to the google ones in your router if you know how to do it?

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

You could try changing the dns settings to the google ones in your router if you know how to do it?

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Yeah I tried that earlier and still no luck, I'll have to wait until monday to ring or just hope for the best. The sooner fibre gets rolled out here the better

• Advertisement

Yeah I tried that earlier and still no luck, I'll have to wait until monday to ring or just hope for the best. The sooner fibre gets rolled out here the better

Yeah cant wait!, its supposed to be coming to my area this year!

I woulnt wait for it to come back on, just get in contact with them! they wont do anything if its left up to them.
    Mine was slow all day yesterday and today so far, so I must get in contact with them to see whats going on.

just a bit of an update on my situation, was using my neighbours wifi there with beacon broadband getting 9.55 down 1.69 up 28ms ping. that was at 6 pm so fairly peak time. on a 10 mbps connection.:D
    tried my own bluebox connection which is "apparently"also a 10mbps connection at about 6.30 pm. so im getting 0.34 mb down and 0.25 up with 209 ms ping.:mad

oh nice, do they have a map of where they cover?
    my bluebox has been crap this last few weeks!

im in burnfoot area so they have that covered and i know of people in burt and inch that have it, the best way to know is if you contact them.
    ive checked out there fb page and i think you can contact them there to see if they have areas covered.
    i think bluebox will have to up its game now although they are a fiver cheaper per month.
    theres a community project in uk called B4RN, installing their own fibre network worth checking out on fb. think they are on youtube as well. maybe be an option here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harkers79

just thought id pitch in my 2 cents on this in the hope it might help someone. ive had bluebox for 8 years in st johnston and experienced the same problems as everyone else. pulled the plug on them 2 months ago, cancelled my bank payment and ordered the beacon broadband 20mb package after my cousin in buncrana recomended them. i have 3 kids with xbox1, dreambox, ipad and phones. i dont use netflix so not sure how that would work but im getting 19mb everytime i test speeds. also there's no contract or phoneline and i had the satalite dish fitted 2 days after ordering. quick, tidy and friendly.

harkers79 wrote: »
    just thought id pitch in my 2 cents on this in the hope it might help someone. ive had bluebox for 8 years in st johnston and experienced the same problems as everyone else. pulled the plug on them 2 months ago, cancelled my bank payment and ordered the beacon broadband 20mb package after my cousin in buncrana recomended them. i have 3 kids with xbox1, dreambox, ipad and phones. i dont use netflix so not sure how that would work but im getting 19mb everytime i test speeds. also there's no contract or phoneline and i had the satalite dish fitted 2 days after ordering. quick, tidy and friendly.

Yeah think I will join them too when they come to my area!
    Seems to be a lot of good reviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 harkers79

I was speaking to my cousin and she has free broadband from them for the next 10 months! apparently they are giving away a free months broadband for every new customer that she recomends and so far she got 10

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

I hope they can handle the contention of new members, thats what killed NWE in the end up after all!

In fairness to NWE i got 3mb download speed today, better than all of last month lol The sooner eir makes its way up the old main road here the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

harkers79 wrote: »

How long have you worked for them? Shill account alert!

Advertisement