Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else afraid of flying?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Clareboy wrote: »
    Just think about these facts; Ryanair, the world' biggest airline who carry 7 million passengers a year have never lost anyone, Aer Lingus has not lost anyone since 1968 and at any moment in time, there are 8 to 9 thousand planes in the air around the world!

So what you're saying is they're due one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Argh I can't seem to find it, it was great.
    I wouldn't recommend drinking too much though before flying, just enough to feel it a little.
    But anyway, I'm not sure if this will help you though but most crashes are pilot errors and usually happen during take off or landing, so it's more likely a fast bus crash than anything...again not sure if that helps:o

Thank you for looking :)

I'm not drinking, so no worries there. It will be OK. I've flown so many times. I just need to relax... and breathe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭BABYDOLL

Your doctor will prescribe valum... does the trick for me everytime ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

BABYDOLL wrote: »
    Your doctor will prescribe valum... does the trick for me everytime ;)
    Jesus I'd love some of that.
    I wish I could find a dearer who could regularly hook me up with Valium pills.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Look sunflower, no matter what happens it could be worse..... You could have the seat next to me:)

get a bit of sleep now (everything worse when you are sleep deprived so even a nap), dont drink. When you are waiting to board plan, press your feet into the ground and remember that feeling.... If you get scared on the plane, close your eyes, breath slowly and deeply and press your feet into the ground. And watch the airhostessess at all times!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

7 pages, and the obvious joke/quote HASN'T been made? Shame on you AH.

I ain't gettin' on no plane, fool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

TheZohan wrote: »
    So what you're saying is they're due one...

And that your post is 2nd hand :rolleyes:

Look sunflower, no matter what happens it could be worse..... You could have the seat next to me:)

get a bit of sleep now (everything worse when you are sleep deprived so even a nap), dont drink. When you are waiting to board plan, press your feet into the ground and remember that feeling.... If you get scared on the plane, close your eyes, breath slowly and deeply and press your feet into the ground. And watch the airhostessess at all times!

Cheers, I won't sleep now. I'd be paranoid I'd sleep through the alarm.:(

I tried earlier but to no avail so will just keep thinking positive thoughts. I've been looking forward to this trip for ages so I will focus on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Wow didn't expect so many people to have a fear of flying.

If you panic just imagine this guy telling you to man up

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I love flying, I even love bad turbulence. I think its because I firmly believe the plane is not about to fall. I am a way more nervous passenger in a car.

OP I wouldnt advice getting drunk first, take an antihistamine. Phenergan will knock you out.

For the experts here is it true that 1 pint on the ground equals 3 in the air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Altitude (or more specifically, air pressure) does have an effect alright but I don't think there are definite rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

For the experts here is it true that 1 pint on the ground equals 3 in the air?

That's the air, there's less pressure so it expands :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

A question for all those people who say flying is the safest mode of transport.

Which would you prefer - to be in a plane crash or to be in a car crash?

I'd happily take my chances in the car. I think the odds of surviving a car accident are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,761 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No i'm not afraid of flying. I'm afraid of crashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

I'd happily take my chances in the car. I think the odds of surviving a car accident are better.

Plane crash would be a much cooler way of dying, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Plane crash would be a much cooler way of dying, though.

Just after you joined the Mile High Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Just allow the calmness of the other 100's of flyers to affect you the same way your freaked out friend did. This will be the last light you will ever feel anticipation about.
    Good advice. I tend to be a nervous flyer, I worry if there's turbulence but look around at the other passengers - if they're calm, so am I!

OP, you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,968 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

The statistics are about how much risk you have of dying in each form of transport.

You may well survive a car crash but you'll be in more so you've more chances of death or serious injury.

Look at it this way, everyone knows someone who's been killed or seriously injured in a car crash. How manly people on Boards know someone who was killed or seriously injured in an air crash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭horseplay

Never really got that nervous before but recently started freaking out a little more, don't know why . Currently sitting in a plane in Copenhagen airport that just had to pull back to the gate with a technical difficulty , woohooo :(

Fixed ... So they say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I've a shocking fear of flying, was getting worse and worse each flight and at one stage i avoided it for 3 years as best i could.

Now its 5mg of diazepam, 4/5 pints, ipod in ears blaring (hide it from host(esses)) and a paper/magazine and just go to a different place. I still hate take off but the rest is okay now.

My 2nd last flight (to Frankfurt) was scary tho as a bad cross wind hit the plane and he had an aborted landing, was worried i wouldnt get on coming back but i just got more trashed and was fine.

I also wondered whether alcohol would make me worse but it did totally relax me but the diazepam is the key. Some people would say you're mad combining the 2 but honestly im still wired - adrenalin is powerful!

My main issue now though is being shattered/dehydrated/hungover at the end of the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

its my worst fear, has been for as long as I can remember
    landing LOVE it it's just the taking off, first flight in 14 years in janurary and im dreading it. :::(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:

My dad used to be a pilot and now he is absolutely terrified of flying now. He was an old school propeller pilot, DC 4's and what not. He just does not trust 'fly by wire' computers even though they are like a billion times less likely to fu­ck up.

I personally have no problem with flying, although there was that one time when I was flying into Linate in Milan, it was a blizzard and the pilot had 2 failed attempted landings, one where the plane literally drifted sideways until he gave it power to take it back up. That was hairy but one bad experience out of the hundreds of flights is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

daveirl wrote: »
    Yea but that was a ground test. TBH I should have put a :) in my post on the matter, but it was amazing how relatively few screwups there were with that programme, or when screwups occurred they got around them. One even got struck by lightning soon after launch(Apollo 12 IIRC). Doubly amazing considering the technology available at the time.
    Edz87 wrote: »
    My dad used to be a pilot and now he is absolutely terrified of flying now. He was an old school propeller pilot, DC 4's and what not. He just does not trust 'fly by wire' computers even though they are like a billion times less likely to fu­ck up.
    I had an uncle like that, but in his case I reckon he was just a really bad back seat driver. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I made it :D

Had been awake for almost 24 hours when I boarded so I think that helped. Took a seat right up the front (as in the first seat on left-hand side) and thought I could sleep.

I didn't, but I have to say, it was fine. At one point I looked out and the clouds looked like balls of cotton wool - so pretty.

Not actually worried about the flight back now, so maybe starting this thread has helped :D

Merry Christmas all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

Had been awake for almost 24 hours when I boarded so I think that helped. Took a seat right up the front (as in the first seat on left-hand side) and thought I could sleep.

I didn't, but I have to say, it was fine. At one point I looked out and the clouds looked like balls of cotton wool - so pretty.

Not actually worried about the flight back now, so maybe starting this thread has helped :D

you're alive, YOU'RE ALIVE!!!!!

THANK GOD!

happy christmas:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I knew you'd be ok. Did we bet 100euro on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Maedbhish

I'm more afraid of the airplane food.. Yuck!

Advertisement