Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else afraid of flying?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Sky King wrote: »
    Flight level in Chuck's instance surely?

Ah touché! I'm here on board while pre-drinking for later.....but I'l be sticking to my personal 24 hours between bottle and throttle;)
    Violent hangovers!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

I hate flying too. Like really really hate it. Bout ten years ago i had a panic attack and started getting out of my seat at take off cause i thought i was going to die....the air hostesses had to come and mind me. Then later on they took me into the cock pit (this was pre nine 11!) so the pilot could explain how it all works (i was about 23....)

now i am not so bad, i hold rosary beads, take rescue remedy and valuim if i have to take a flight(which i avoid mostly):)

i can never sleep on the plane as i am concentrating on gripping onto the armrests so hard in order to keep it in the air:p. Wouldnt ya hate to sit beside me???!

The best trick i can offer ya is to always sit where you can watch the air hostesses(their job is more important than the pilot in my opinion for the following reason) if they look ok then i feel ok. If they look confused/alarmed then i will start screaming 'we're all going to die in this metal coffin'

when i land i feel seriously like i have cheated death....i have kids now and i would hate to pass on my fears to them because it is a horrendous thing to be frightened of so when i fly with them i try to 'act normal' even though periodically the fear wells up inside me.

Take comfort in the fact you have actually very very slim chances of dying on a plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I am not afraid of it, I just don't like it, it has to be 1 of the most uncomfortable way of travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

One of the worst flights I ever went on was in Australia. I remember looking out at the plane and thinking 'ah, that's not that small'. It then moved out of the way to reveal a 12-seater plane that looked like it was powered by remote control.

The cockpit was partitioned off with a curtain.

At least this won't be that bad :D

I was doiing my skydive in OZ. We turned the corner to see this dinky little plane with the pilot under it trying to fix something :eek:

Still didnt put the fear in me :)

You'll be grand if you take something for your nerves and get stuck into a good book so you dont even notice you're flying. Hope you have a great trip away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I flew to New York a few years ago and the turbulence was really bad. My eyes were darting around the plane and everyone else seemed fine till I clocked eyes with another panicked flyer. That was a moment I'll never forget!!!

• Advertisement

Kiera wrote: »
    I was doiing my skydive in OZ. We turned the corner to see this dinky little plane with the pilot under it trying to fix something :eek:

You'll be grand if you take something for your nerves and get stuck into a good book so you dont even notice you're flying. Hope you have a great trip away :)

Fair play to you. i'd never skydive, or bunjee jump... I once went on one of those pirate ship rides that swing 360degrees. Never, ever again.

I know I sound like a big baby, but I really hate it.

Will keep in mind all everyone has said. It's only 50mins anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

I can say this hand on heart: When I die, i'd like to go by plane crash... would be like the most awesome rollercoaster ever, coupled with skydiving, a real adrenile pumping rush! and then you die instantly anyway!... could be worse!

What is the fear of flying all about? is it fear that the plane is going to fall out of the sky or am i missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Kiera wrote: »

:rolleyes: yeah right, why would you care about the plane, you had a parachute:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Only since 9/11 really.

I can say this hand on heart: When I die, i'd like to go by plane crash... would be like the most awesome rollercoaster ever, coupled with skydiving, a real adrenile pumping rush! and then you die instantly anyway!... could be worse!

What is the fear of flying all about? is it fear that the plane is going to fall out of the sky or am i missing something?

personaly i am scared of the following in this order.....
    1 the plane will nose dive into water and we will all drown slowly
    2 the engines fail when we are up high and the plane will be silent but we have to fall down out of the sky until we crash down
    3 the plane will spilt in two
    4 the wings will go on fire

hahah even when i am reading this i can see it is ridiculous but seriously the flight is a never ending circle of these thoughts only broken by the occaisional-what the **** is that sound

• Advertisement

I'm always the only one that ever takes notice of the emergency exits as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Reading through the fear stories I can Identify with them as I have a phobia of public speaking myself(seriously, I have nearly fainted)

As a counter story I've had a pilots licence since I was 20 and first took control of an aircraft when I was 12! I love flying and cant see myself doing anything else for a career. My uncle is rated on fixed-wing and helicopters, and my Gran-uncle retired flying 747's for United Airlines out of Washington Dulles.
    There is something incredibly fulfilling being able to take your friend's flying around the ring of Kerry during the summer or flying from Orlando to Keywest over the Everglades. Best feeling in the world! :)

Do you think the seatbelts/emergency exits etc really would help if required??? Not trying to be smart, actually curious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

personaly i am scared of the following in this order.....
    1 the plane will nose dive into water and we will all drown slowly
    2 the engines fail when we are up high and the plane will be silent but we have to fall down out of the sky until we crash down
    3 the plane will spilt in two
    4 the wings will go on fire

Clearly you missed that awesome movie where the roof of the plane peels back like a can of sardines mid-air and people (seats included!) are sucked out the top at an alarming rate. You can make that #5 if you like. Merry Christmas.

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    Reading through the fear stories I can Identify with them as I have a phobia of public speaking myself(seriously, I have nearly fainted)

As a counter story I've had a pilots licence since I was 20 and first took control of an aircraft when I was 12! I love flying and cant see myself doing anything else for a career. My uncle is rated on fixed-wing and helicopters, and my Gran-uncle retired flying 747's for United Airlines out of Washington Dulles.
    There is something incredibly fulfilling being able to take your friend's flying around the ring of Kerry during the summer or flying from Orlando to Keywest over the Everglades. Best feeling in the world! :)

thats mad! I think it sounds like the most unnatural thing in the world! God it would be fantastic to really enjoy it as you do:jealous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Not afraid of it but not overly mad about it either. Also hate the ear popping and that "dropping" sensation that happens every now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

My father worked for years as an aircraft engine mechanic and a licensed inspection engineer ...he had to retire early when he was diagnosed with Alzhiemers ...I often look up at those high flying aircraft and think was that one his and are the many little nuts and bolts we keep finding around the house important...

pow wow wrote: »
    Clearly you missed that awesome movie where the roof of the plane peels back like a can of sardines mid-air and people (seats included!) are sucked out the top at an alarming rate. You can make that #5 if you like. Merry Christmas.

haha nice try! I am only scared of what i am scared of! Isnt that what phobias are all about???!
    Like someone else mentioned 911 and i never think of that! (probably because of the awesome security mesures of no liquids in your bag/off topic wtf is that about????!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Not a bit scared of flying.

Statistically, you're more likely to be killed on the way to the airport.
    33c9jsm.jpg

I remember being on a flight not long after 9/11. I was sitting down the back of the plane and a guy wearing a turbin got up to go to the toilet.

I think he had 100 pairs of paranoid eyes on him.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Not a bit scared of flying.

Statistically, you're more likely to be killed on the way to the airport.
    dumb+4.jpg

statistics and lies:p

44leto wrote: »
    :rolleyes: yeah right, why would you care about the plane, you had a parachute:D

I didnt have one. The guy on my back did (oh matron) :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Not terrifyingly so but I hate it. I can hold it together though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I just flew home from the UK on Monday night. It'll be over before you know it, seriously. You feel like you've just sat down and gotten yourself comfy when it's time to get off the plane again!

I don't mind flying, except landing. I hate waiting for the wheels to hit the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

pow wow wrote: »

Movie? no no, that already happened in real life. Aloha Airlines Flight 243. (google it and you'll see). The fasteners began to shear out and a zipper effect took place, the entire forward section of the roof and side walls tore clean off! sucked the air-hostess clean out! luckily the plane landed though!

but then again, that was all down to poor regulations and an absence of fatigue analysis on aircraft, which is mandatory these days.

so yeah... Merry Christmas :P

Novella wrote: »
    I just flew home from the UK on Monday night. It'll be over before you know it, seriously. You feel like you've just sat down and gotten yourself comfy when it's time to get off the plane again!

I don't mind flying, except landing. I hate waiting for the wheels to hit the ground.

Thanks, Novella. I know it is a short flight, but it just seems to drag when you are literally counting seconds. I have a book to read so will get stuck in to that before I board and try and lose myself in that for a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I remember being on a flight not long after 9/11. I was sitting down the back of the plane and a guy wearing a turbin got up to go to the toilet.

I think he had 100 pairs of paranoid eyes on him.
    Just have a large straight whiskey half an hour before you board and you'll be fine.

Report back here tomorrow and let us know how you got on.

Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There hasn't been a plane crash in a while, there's probably one due.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Just have a large straight whiskey half an hour before you board and you'll be fine.

Report back here tomorrow and let us know how you got on.

Good luck.

I'll get on fine, I just want to make sure I get off ;)

• Advertisement

There hasn't been a plane crash in a while, there's probably one due.

Seriously? What a dickish thing to say!

Advertisement