Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shifting....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

we used to call it meeting as well :) i had friends ask on my behalf :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Yeah it was "meeting" for me too.
    I thought "shifting" was just a country term?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Usually you walk around the Square in Tallaght, going past UCI some girls would roar at you, "Here, young fella! Will you meet her?"
    You'd be backed up by your buddies and approach. After you're mates sorted it out with the group of girls you'd be brought to a secluded spot, and you would get the first decent look at the girl in question and almost immediately start kissing. If you were lucky enough to be with a girl who wasn't licking your chin it would go on for several minutes and if you were felling brave you'd grab her arse and maybe a boob.
    Good times.

Also who ever came up with the terms "meet", "shift" and now "score" needs to be shot loike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

The worst thing was to be a fridget

''Are you a fridget?''
    ''No I shifted some on holidays last year''
    ''Sureee.....''

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

cazzzzz wrote: »
    The worst thing was to be a fridget

''Are you a fridget?''
    ''No I shifted some on holidays last year''
    ''Sureee.....''
    If you can't lift her, don't shift her..
    It's sort of disappoint when you get older that peer pressure just diminishes :(
    I'd say a little bit is go for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

BLynch wrote: »
    And what age did you find random shifting ended at?

Haven't found it started...
    phasers wrote: »
    I have honestly never experienced this. I had a few fellas asking 'will ya meet (clondalkin equivilant of shift) me' when I was out an about, but never had someone's friend ask me, nor was I ever asked if I 'got the shift'.

I feel like I missed out now, anyone want to shift?

I'll be in Quinlans on Saturday

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

There was a while in college when I couldn't get the shift for the life of me. Turns out it is actually a confidence thing. Walk around like you own the place, and women throw themselves at you. Worked for me last Monday (10 different girls in 6 hours in the SU on College's Christmas Day).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BLynch

DB21 wrote: »
    There was a while in college when I couldn't get the shift for the life of me. Turns out it is actually a confidence thing. Walk around like you own the place, and women throw themselves at you. Worked for me last Monday (10 different girls in 6 hours in the SU on College's Christmas Day).

Standing looking like a fool while your friend asks someone to shift you must be one of the more awkward expeirences in life, especially if she says no :/ the only thing that I found even slightly helps that is drink, and even then it's still fairly awful :(

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

This post reminded me why I would never like to be a teen again. I can remember when I went to teenage discos as soon as the slow set came on every girl in the place bolted for the girls bathrooms (except the sluts hehe) and we would stay crammed in there until the slow set ended.
    I never asked a friend to ask someone but had guys friends ask me.
    I was a late starter too, never kissed a guy until I was 17 and got pissed on vodka and lemon at a new years eve disco. I think I might have shifted every guy on the floor that night. Happy new year:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Standing looking like a fool while your friend asks someone to shift you must be one of the more awkward expeirences in life, especially if she says no :/ the only thing that I found even slightly helps that is drink, and even then it's still fairly awful :(

Oh Jesus yeah.

I'm more proactive about it though. After a couple of ciders, I'm king of the f**king castle in my mind, and in drunken arrogance, I think the women should be lining up for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

phasers wrote: »
    I have honestly never experienced this. I had a few fellas asking 'will ya meet (clondalkin equivilant of shift) me' when I was out an about, but never had someone's friend ask me, nor was I ever asked if I 'got the shift'.

I feel like I missed out now, anyone want to shift?

Yeah back in my days the popular jargon was to 'meet' which came not long after the term 'get off with'

So at the local teenage dishco a very awkwardly standing me to the sounds of whatever horrible tunes were big in 1994 would have a devishly handsome chap approach to ask 'will ya meeh me mahe'
    I look over to see some pizza faced skanger in with the look of murder in his eyes, staring straight back at me, politely decline and have my heart sink as handsome skang #1 tuts 'sluh' and walks over to my friend to do the boner dancey move as described by Boomkatalog.
    The rest of the evening has them two waring the faces off each other while me and the murderous ben sherman are left standing awkwardly together.
    God I don't miss dem days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya, shifting was the big thing in my day when in my teens. All my classmates were talking about it and going to youth discos. I was a bit of a late developer and never went to youth discos. Wanted to wait till I were older and enjoy it and of course be of the legal age to drink. Never liked weddings when I was underage! Since being at the legal age, I enjoy weddings more cause of the buzz and being older too is good. I felt like an outsider when I were a teenager at weddings cause everyone else was drinking like.

Shifting is for the younger kiddies I think, teenagers. I like sweet subtle kisses now maybe that's me getting old lol.

My classmates were very much into underage drinking and I never took part of it, never went out at all until my debs! I am a bit traditional like that. I wanted to enjoy it didn't drink at all despite being 18. Didn't enjoy it. I had no interest in discos and going out like then, I was in college before I started going out and enjoying it. Wasn't really ready for all that malarky of going out like. Was too focused on the leaving so waited till I were in college to start going out properly. Still go out now and again.

I probably kissed a fella when very young in school but I was a bit old when I got a proper shift. It was a randomer in a nightclub and not the case of 'will you shift my friend'. Was a good kiss buts sloppy.

Oh stopped kissing randomers since I were 22. From 22 to now, I nearly know the guys name most of the time or know the fella a bit. Would have at least chatted to him, spent a bit of time with him as well as danced with him and so on. Though only one lad I suppose when 25 he was a randomer alright. I suppose I were 25 I'm 26 now. Though most lads I do kiss lately I know their name and have danced as well as chatted with them. After that well depends. Last guy well I knew him for a short while before hand things did progress but not much after meeting each other. Haven't kissed anyone since!

Might need to pucker up for New Years! Where's my mistletoe!? ;)

To be honest any time I got the shift well, the guys just turn their head in such a way like to ask if we can kiss. Sweet though, with their puppy doe eyes! Pleading and begging like a little puppy to want to kiss me, its an honour if they ask and are polite like that than just going in for the kill and diving their mouth onto mine. Though there be the few that will do that alright to me sometimes! Met good kissers and bad ones, and a few frogs but a few nice ones along the way!

The whole french kissing thing took me a bit of time to get used to was a bit of a shock to the system at first. Drunken first kiss though...which was in fact my first shift!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

We never got the shift or asked to meet anyone, we definitely got off with people. I just had vague heart attack when realised given my first snogfest was at 12, that's over 20 years ago and although the random encounters should have stopped by now, I still occasionally find myself lips locked with some handsome stranger on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I've often wondered what age is too old to be after the shift of a night out.

DB21 wrote: »

The most guys I ever kissed in one night was two guys. Generally just snog the one lad or randomer on a night out. Tend to know him or know his name now a days! So don't just kiss random strangers any more at least. Hopefully grown out of that sort of thing.

This post reminded me why I would never like to be a teen again. I can remember when I went to teenage discos as soon as the slow set came on every girl in the place bolted for the girls bathrooms (except the sluts hehe) and we would stay crammed in there until the slow set ended.
    I never asked a friend to ask someone but had guys friends ask me.
    I was a late starter too, never kissed a guy until I was 17 and got pissed on vodka and lemon at a new years eve disco. I think I might have shifted every guy on the floor that night. Happy new year:o

Was a late developer myself too, 19. But was drunk for that first shift! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Some of ye were late indeed! I wasn't exactly too busy meeting women but I did have my first at 13:D
    Now nightclubs is a different experience for me, only gone a couple times now but am yet to get anything. What should I be expecting to achieve at the club?

Cian A wrote: »
    What should I be expecting to achieve at the club?

N'awh,look at da little baby! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 DeadbeatDancer

My first shift turned out to be gay... :/

• Advertisement

N'awh,look at da little baby! :D
    Little hah! I'm bigger than you, I don't even need to check.
    Yes I know you weren't talking about physical size, I just suck at clubbing:p

Besides, I'm not this guy...
    My first shift turned out to be gay... :/

:D

Cian A wrote: »
    Little hah! I'm bigger than you, I don't even need to check.
    Yes I know you weren't talking about physical size, I just suck at clubbing:p

How can one suck at clubbing?

How can one suck at clubbing?

This picture explains a lot of the thoughts that go through my head on a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Did anyone ever have the balls to go up to random girls at a disco and chat them up for a while, then ask for the shift himself? I can't ever remember anyone doing that... :/

yes but it only worked once :(

;)

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Rich11

NO!:confused:

I talked to girls myself:cool: then you shift/meet/snog/kiss, then you drop the fingers:cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

cazzzzz wrote: »
    'Did you get the shift?'

Yeah, and i got the finger....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

This is me going in for the shift. 318673_2526403081858_1306854361_33022161_1915156850_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭bebostunnah

Arent lads more cheeky in asking for handjobs as well these days?

Unfortunately they ask for a lot more than that to be honest and it ain't just with the hands but more than just liplocking....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I'min my late teens and the way it always worked for me was go to a youth disco

how old were you at this stage
    16+ at an underage thing and you should feel shame

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement