Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be a Cat Licence ?

Options
  • 22-12-2011 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Should there be a Licence for owning Cats aswell as Dogs

Where I live all Cats seem to be roaming the streets and ****ting everywhere

Then certain times of the year there are loads of Kittens wondering the Streets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

YES

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I won't pay

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Absolutely, yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Absolutely, they foul and make more of a mess than some dogs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

mathepac wrote: »
    I won't pay

Why do you think people should licence their Dogs but not Cats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

yes definitely. They get away with murder! Do people who keep pedigree cats needs licences?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

WIZE wrote: »

No, but I do think that all pets should be spayed or neutered unless they're being kept for breeding purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭TskTsk

ziggy23 wrote: »
    yes definitely. They get away with murder! Do people who keep pedigree cats needs licences?

No. What 'murder' is this that you refer to?

TskTsk wrote: »

Birds maybe

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

ziggy23 wrote: »

Cat's have no legal classification, no welfare rights, no-one is accountable for them or the control of their population. Of course pet rabbits, guinea pigs etc. don't either but they generally aren't left to fend for themselves en-mass. Poor cats!

• Advertisement

Why do you think people should licence their Dogs but not Cats
    The reality is that most dog owners don't licence their dogs (see other thread). Fix that problem first and then we'll see if there's a need to licence cats

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The thing is cats are free to roam, that's how they are. It's cruel to keep a cat penned in all the time. A dog can be managed as they don't scale walls and trees that are up to 7 times their height. Besides cats are clean and burry their mess where are dogs leave it everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

TskTsk wrote: »

I mean they can wander into people's garden as they wish, dig holes, do their business etc. I meant that as a joke I've 2 myself so I know what sort of divilment they get up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Because the dog licence was the best thing ever to stop dogs from shìtting. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Cats bury their mess.... tell that to the cats in my estate...!! They are free to roam, free to breed, free to eat pet rabbits in your neighbours back gardens, sure they are only cats!!

Besides cats are clean and burry their mess where are dogs leave it everywhere.

Cool . Can you send the cats from your Area up to mine to teach the local cat how to Burry their crap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Cool . Can you send the cats from your Area up to mine to teach the local cat how to Burry their crap

Lol I spat me tea all over me pc, I'll send you the bill..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

In the UK neither cats nor dogs need to be licenced and there is less of a problem than here in animals being pts. What purpose would be served and how would it be regulated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Well maybe there should be a human license !! Maybe the cats and dogs are sick of humans everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Yes.

BUT, I feel that the licencing system needs to be changed.
    It should include microchipping as standard and should be implemented from when they are babies. Possibly making it illegal to give away / take / sell / adopt etc. a pet who is not microchipped.
    If your pet is not microchipped pay a hefty fine or lose your pet.

I realize it would be virtually impossible to implement, but so would forcing licencing for cats (unless the country will employ cat-wardens , catch random cats off the street etc. )

• Advertisement

On another site I have campaigned for licensing dog owners and microchipping dogs (or horses etc.).

Pet owners to be tested on the basic rules and responsibilities of ownership and pet first-aid, etc - a bit like the theory test for learner drivers with refresher education courses and tests every 3 to 5 years, paid for by the owner of course.

On another site I have campaigned for licensing dog owners and microchipping dogs (or horses etc.).

Pet owners to be tested on the basic rules and responsibilities of ownership and pet first-aid, etc - a bit like the theory test for learner drivers with refresher education courses and tests every 3 to 5 years, paid for by the owner of course.

I still dont get this

Are you a responsible owner for letting your Cats out to wonder the Streets for days on end to kill wildlife and to Piss and **** in everyones Gardens as its no concern to you

the way I see it to be honest is for every Dog I see dead at the side of the road I would see 20 or more Cats

Is this being responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I think all licencing laws should be reviewed, and cats should be included. I think the dogs and cats should have to be microchipped so if a stray animal is picked up by a warden and traced through microchip to an owner and the owner fined for having a loose animal. The pound system should be extended to cats too so feral cats can be dealt with, the massive number of feral cats needs to be controlled. ALL animals like to wander, but as their responsible owners it's our responsibity to control them and prevent wandering, it's time more cat owners started being responsible for their pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

first yes - i think all pet owners should be held responsible for their pets.

however i would more go with they need to be chipped then anything else ,

people have to remember cats are not native to Ireland - all and any strays are because of us.

however i will point out that cats are more independent then dogs - they stray further , go anywhere their curiousity dictates .

I still dont get this ...
    It's not my responsibility to teach you to "read before responding"
    ... Pet owners to be tested on the basic rules and responsibilities of ownership and pet first-aid, etc ...

See what I did there? I bolded the key words you neglected to read and absorb in your rush to post indignantly; or do you think that Pet = Dog and not cat, rabbit, parrot, goldfish, etc.? Personally I think Pet is a generic term applicable to most animals in a domestic situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,736 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No - because the status quo will continue to annoy dog lovers who are as inferior a species as their pets are.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

cnocbui wrote: »
    No - because the status quo will continue to annoy dog lovers who are as inferior a species as their pets are.

;)

Clever.

[/SARCASM]

It's not my responsibility to teach you to "read before responding"

See what I did there? I bolded the key words you neglected to read and absorb in your rush to post indignantly; or do you think that Pet = Dog and not cat, rabbit, parrot, goldfish, etc.? Personally I think Pet is a generic term applicable to most animals in a domestic situation.
    I won't pay

So you will be paying a cat licence if it is introduced ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

however i will point out that cats are more independent then dogs - they stray further , go anywhere their curiousity dictates .

I strongly disagree, dogs have the same strong wandering instinct and will wander miles if given the chance, they're just not generally given that chance. The idea that all dogs are home bodies simply isn't true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Maybe it would be better to have some kind of licensing system for humans who want to even think about having pets. Only people who can demonstrate their suitability to take proper care of an animal should be licensed to get one.:mad:

I write this in anger at the cruelty I have so often witnessed in Ireland, where too may people are just too thick, mean, irresponsible and stupid to take proper care of the pets they acquire on a whim.

For them a pet is a toy, not a creature with needs and feelings.:(

On the night of the All-Ireland football final last September, I went for a walk down a quiet country road near my house in Laois. Near a forest path, a kitten - about four months old - came mewing towards me and rubbed itself against my feet. It was getting dark and I took it back to my house, certain it had strayed from one of the neighbours' houses. I gave it a slice of ham, which it devoured, and then at least ten more. It was ravenous, purred all the time and followed me everywhere.

I cycled to every house in the area the following day, but no one was missing a kitten. Several people opined it had just been thrown out of a car by someone wanting to get rid of it; they said it was common. I asked about rescue places, but was told the prospects of re-homing were slight and that the animal would probably be put to sleep.

So I fed it and cared for as long as I could, seven weeks, before I had to leave Ireland, in the hope that it would grow stronger and able to survive on its own. I had a cat flap put into a shed door and arranged for someone to come and leave food a few times a week. Then, however, my daughter in Dublin decided to adopt it. Now he is seven months old, a beautiful friendly cat, completely house trained, has had his operation and can look forward to a good life. But he is a rare lucky one.

Advertisement