Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a slab...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Wtf is a haberdasher?, I'd definitely do business with haberdasher...

Isn't a haberdasher a tailor, or at least a man who sells clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

A slab of beer you ponce. Bucks, well, I've lived all over the place so it's universally understood. Next.
    Ponce?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I always thought 24 cans was a "tray" no? Fúck it im half way into a slab of miller. I've been enjoying the deals on Guinness too. That €16 for 8 cans was taking the piss TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

SeanMcl12 wrote: »
    s

Post of the fúckin' day!

worked for me *wipes laughter tear away*

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

When buying cans I'd usually just knock up to the local grocers and purchase 6 cans of Beer for 10 bucks, I'm buying a slab of said beer in supermarket for 24 bucks at the moment. How much will said slab cost in said supermarket after Christmas or do they stop stocking slabs then or what?...

To be honest, I'm better off paying 10 for 6, if there's only 6, I can only drink 6. When there's 24...

"when there's 24..." what ?

If you buy 6 fish fingers, you can eat 6
    If you buy 24 do you eat all 24 ?

If you can't stop drinking after 6 and leave some there for next week then you have a drinking problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭noddyflavin

kfallon wrote: »
    I'm glad I don't put this much thought into getting pissed tbh!

I just have to remember to utter the following sentence correctly and I will arrive in 'Drunkville':

"Another pint of your finest ale please barkeep!"

I'm not rich anymore...

Liam Byrne wrote: »

If you can't stop drinking after 6 and leave some there for next week then you have a drinking problem

Guaranteed. I'm absolutely plastered now. I don't like fish fingers. Captain frikkin Birdseye freaked the crap outta me...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

You'll just say to yourself 'i'll have one for the road'. Then after a while this becomes twice of what you wanted to drink. Then walla you wake up the next morning in your jocks painted blue in a cell .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

beer out of can :(

20 bottles of franziskaner for €25 in my local lidl right now, a proper beer it is too

Guaranteed. I'm absolutely plastered now. I don't like fish fingers. Captain frikkin Birdseye freaked the crap outta me...

Good luck with that.

www.drinkaware.ie
    www.alcoholicsanonymous.ie

• Advertisement

7Sins wrote: »
    Slabs are usually €44.99, how much do you drink? once a week? :rolleyes:

6 x 52= 312 cans for €1.66 a can = €520 a year

so.... 312/24 = 13 slabs :) buy 13 slabs now for €312 :D

That's €208 you've saved for the year :eek:

I'm Eddie Hobbs :pac:

Cheers Ned...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

If you have a problem limiting your drinking to an amount you're happy with depending on how much is in your shed/kitchen whatever then go on spend more it's worth it.

Loads of cheap drink doesn't suit you, I have the mentality of "using something up" because I have it, if you're like me then just avoid keeping anything in the house that makes you think like that.

I usually buy 12.5 gram pouches of tobacco but when I went on holidays and got a few 40 gram pouches man did I get through them quickly, when there is more there I consume more. Doesn't mean he has a drinking disorder maybe disordered drinking not for me to decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Am I out of the loop as to whats "in" and whats "not"? :pac:

I've never heard anyone say 'slab' .... always a 'tray'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Johro wrote: »
    Ponce?

Ponce

noun.

1. An individual who attempts to fake having intelligence, class, or culture.
    2. A campily effeminate male.
    3. Johro.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I've never heard anyone say 'slab' .... always a 'tray'

In my cosmopolitan area we hear slab on the Northside and tray on the Southside, slab spoken in any dialect, but tray spoken in an upper English upper middle class accent, rather like Mrs Bucket calling herself Mrs Bouquet in a TV sitcom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I make my own beer out of potato peelings water and sugar.

Jail sucks.

The bloke in the next cell to me ten years ago had to go to court one day and I heard a popping sound, Well his bottle of hooch blew up, The cell was wrecked, You see you need to let the air out and he wasn't there so boom, The prison officers never reported it as cleaning the cell after a long day at court was enough punishment.

saa wrote: »
    If you have a problem limiting your drinking to an amount you're happy with depending on how much is in your shed/kitchen whatever then go on spend more it's worth it.

Loads of cheap drink doesn't suit you, I have the mentality of "using something up" because I have it, if you're like me then just avoid keeping anything in the house that makes you think like that.

I usually buy 12.5 gram pouches of tobacco but when I went on holidays and got a few 40 gram pouches man did I get through them quickly, when there is more there I consume more. Doesn't mean he has a drinking disorder maybe disordered drinking not for me to decide.

I got lost/drunk in Frankfurt. Drunk, not lost. Cost me €400...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

I got lost/drunk in Frankfurt. Drunk, not lost. Cost me €400...

how did it cost 400

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

O' Briens have had 24 cans of Tuborg for €20 for months at this stage. Great deal for a lager that's superior to most of the other mainstream ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

some of you lads have some serious drinking problems. would you not think about knocking it on the head? this thread is making me sick. alcohol is a poison on this earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

ah Carslberg you bland yoke.

horsemeat wrote: »
    some of you lads have some serious drinking problems. would you not think about knocking it on the head? this thread is making me sick. alcohol is a poison on this earth.

That's as extreme as the opposite extreme.

Alcohol in itself isn't "bad" or "poison"; the attitude that some people have towards it is, as is their bull**** macho abuse of it.

But neither of those is the alcohol's fault.

You don't blame sugar for the fact that some people abuse it and turn themselves diabetic, do you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That's as extreme as the opposite extreme.

Alcohol in itself isn't "bad" or "poison"; the attitude that some people have towards it is, as is their bull**** macho abuse of it.

But neither of those is the alcohol's fault.

You don't blame sugar for the fact that some people abuse it and turn themselves diabetic, do you ?
    Very valid point alcohol has been a part of human culture for centuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

When buying cans I'd usually just knock up to the local grocers and purchase 6 cans of Beer for 10 bucks, I'm buying a slab of said beer in supermarket for 24 bucks at the moment. How much will said slab cost in said supermarket after Christmas or do they stop stocking slabs then or what?...

To be honest, I'm better off paying 10 for 6, if there's only 6, I can only drink 6. When there's 24...

ten bucks for six beers, aye..barely covers the ammo or the petrol to transport them.

bucks... cop on to yourself. really annoyed hearing slab and buck in the same post...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭anto77

Change of heart then? :confused:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75730710
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75686819

this thread is making me sick. alcohol is a poison on this earth.

Tell that to Jesus, he turned water into the best wine of the day for his Mother during a wedding after the guests had quaffed ALL the wine which should have been sufficient for the ceremony.

It was considered an insult to one's guests to run out of alcohol and whilst Jesus questioned his Mother's request, he believing himself above this frivolity, nonetheless, made the best wine his Mother's friend's guests ever had and they spent the rest of the night filling the jugs with water and bringing them to the boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

rossie1977 wrote: »
    beer out of can :(

20 bottles of franziskaner for €25 in my local lidl right now, a proper beer it is too

I was in Lidl yesterday searching for said beer but, alas, the shelf was empty. So I asked the skinny, pretty Russian girl who was walking past if they had any of this fine beer in their stores.
    'Aye vill chyeck' she said and trotted off for a look. Then, somewhat suddenly I was surrounded by four other men, seemingly unknown to each other..
    'Here for the deal on the beer yeah?'
    'Is she getting you more of the beer on special yeah?'
    etc.
    These wierdos were strolling up and down the aisle hoping that the beer would just appear on the shelf.
    As soon as the girl came out the four of them almost cornered the girl
    'I'll have a box of that as well'
    'Yeah eh, I'll have two boxes.'

I suppose you had to be there really.

longshanks wrote: »
    I suppose you had to be there really.

Well the thing is one has to ask. On several 'special offers' in either Aldi or Lidl I went to several stores in the city only to be frustrated at not finding any, anywhere.

In the last store I asked and got what I was looking for, I enquired as to why the item was not on display and she said you have to ask for the specials!

OK.

So you described it well. Very well TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

gbee wrote: »
    In my cosmopolitan area we hear slab on the Northside and tray on the Southside, slab spoken in any dialect, but tray spoken in an upper English upper middle class accent, rather like Mrs Bucket calling herself Mrs Bouquet in a TV sitcom.

I honestly thought Slab was an exclusively American term.

I'd heard of Tray used once or twice...

Can't believe no-one here calls them what me and virtually everyone I know has called them since I can remember... Crate!!!

Tis strange!

• Advertisement

mossyc123 wrote: »
    ... Crate!!! Tis strange!

Crate for sure, but the real crate was 4 or 6 24 packs and then the pallet. But crate was / is still a common term.

Crate/Slab/Tray : no matter as long as the price is €20 [or less] we won't argue :)

Advertisement