Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

self vaccination

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I would have to say my vet is brilliant when people bring their dogs in for annual booster shots. She really does check them over thoroughly and asks a lot of questions before she will vaccinate. She doesn't push vaccinations on the client at all. That's the way it should be. And I agree with the previous poster who said that the cost of vaccinations reflects "the years of study/cost of practices/insurance and is in line with other medical practitioners in that respect."

Vaccination is no small thing. The immune system must be functioning well, and you have to be prepared for post-vaccine reactions. Plus did you know that different vaccinations should not be given together? Or how long it takes the dog to develop immunity from these vaccinations?

I really don't feel this is something a lay person should attempt. I do think it's wrong to trivialise vaccinations. I was thinking about it today and the thought occured to me, would you give your infant child an MMR vaccine without the guidance of a doctor? Or give yourself a shot against tetanus bought over the counter? I just don't think it's very safe for our pets to be vaccinating them ourselves.

My vet charges €30 for the vaccination visit, which includes a check up. For a puppy requiring its first set of vaccinations (three weeks apart) it's €55 for the two vaccinations and worming. I haven't heard of any practice charging €65 for a single vaccination - that's obscene!

The reason chemists are getting coy about selling the vaccines is because it is against the law without a prescription. It doesn't have anything to do with vets pressuring them. I mean, which vets are pressuring which chemists?

I know it's tempting to think that the vets rip us off on vaccinations and any idiot could do it, but I strongly believe that is not the case. These products are controlled with good reason and should only be administered by a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Listen to boomerang he/she is talking a lot of sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

Do you know how to administer the vaccines? Maybe it's different in animals. But in humans it's quite important to have the technique correct. If you do it wrong, you don't get the full effect. It's not as easy as it looks. Took me a few goes to get the hang of it properly. I'm quite experienced in jabbing people, but I wouldn't inject an animal. Maybe it's different in animals though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Thats what a vet is for, don't be trying to do something your not sure of. I know someone who attempted this and it ended bad! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Don't expect the chemist to be able to advise you. I was in the chemist last week and overheard the girl behind the counter telling a customer "now, you know what to do, right? Give this one first (shakes bag with DHPPi in it) and then this one (Lepto) three weeks later." :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

You could look up youtube. Some vids of vets going through it.

Advertisement