Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody dealt with these bullies? Arvato

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Morning Wood

Dudess wrote: »
    Nothing incorrect in what I say, darl

How patronising & condescending. I bet you click your fingers & "sshhh" people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Morning Wood If you have a problem with a post, then please use the Report Post button. Please do not add noise to the thread.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

I gave up on Direct Debits a long time ago. I know it’s not always possible but not all companies use the system correctly. We all need to take responsibility for what we owe but when you sign up with a Direct Debit it’s supposed to be taken care of. It’s easy to see how you could end up owing money.

It’s better to pay items with online banking or down at the post office.

Also it’s very hard to defend these debt collection companies when they lie. They say someone is coming to call but then they don’t turn up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

And to those people who always seem to side with companies they need to take a look at them selves in the mirror
    If the company are being arseholes, I wouldn't side with them - but what's wrong with seeing nothing wrong with them looking for the money they're owed? People who act as if they're being violated when money they owe is requested are the ones who need to look in the mirror - what utter self entitlement. If it's difficult to pay bills, ring them and set up a payment plan. You're incorrect - companies actually do take individual circumstances into account, but it's not their fault either. Damn right I'd side with the company when responsibility is shifted to them.
    self righteous folk here talking about availing of services as if you have a choice to not use electricty
    LOL gimme a break !
    Er... it still has to be paid. People who are arrogant enough to think they can leave their bills pile up and not even pay a fiver off a week, and say they'll pay "eventually" are the self righteous ones who clearly feel they deserve special treatment.
    Food is even more of a human requirement but you pay for that, why the attitude towards electricity and gas?

Nothing incorrect in what I say, darl

How patronising & condescending. I bet you click your fingers & "sshhh" people too.
    It was in response to something I said being referred to as codswallop even though I said nothing incorrect, the person just didn't like reality.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Hi, guys.
    I recently had an outstanding balance with Board Gais that I was not aware of (€115).
    About 2 weeks ago I started receiving letters in the post from Arvato Finance, looking to aquire my balances.

I get paid by the month and was due to be paid today, however there was a problem and I was not paid today.

I got another letter from Arvato informing me they will be calling to my house to claim my owed money.
    It's bad enough they have been calling me twice a day, every day for the past two weeks, but to call to my door is just making me feel really under pressure and very anxious.

It's approaching Christmas, I pay 650euro a month in rent and work in retail, my GF is not currently working as she's heavily pregnant. I just cannot afford this.

Has anybody dealt with these before?

How are theybullies? You owe them money even if you didn't relise it you still have to pay them! Same old sod story different person

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

lala88 wrote: »
    How are theybullies?
    Avarto have been calling him twice a day for a fortnight and stated they will call to his house to claim money he doesn't owe to them. Quite a few people would consider that bullying or harrassment.
    You owe them money even if you didn't relise it you still have to pay them!
    He doesn't owe a cent to Arvato. He has no contract with Arvato, his contract is with BG and his debt is to BG.
    Same old sod story different person
    You're making an unjustified assumption, there is nothing in his OP to suggest he's trying to dodge his debts. He was just asking for advice on how to deal with a harrassing (allegedly) debt collection agency. He can't afford a lump sum payment but that doesn't mean he can't or won't settle his debt in instalments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I really don't get people who say they are being "harassed" over a debt. Each consumer must take responsibility for the debts they accumulate and stop trying to blame the provider/vendor when they look for payment.

How many posters have posted the same story as the OP?. If you avail of a service or obtain goods, you are obliged to pay for them in a timely fashion as per T&C's, if you can't then you should not have obtained them in the first place.

Debt collectors act on behalf of the vendor and they are not harassing you, they are only looking for you to pay what YOU OWE, if you pay it they will leave you alone, if you do not, then they keep calling. Debtors must accept that they are responsible for the amount owed for the goods/services they have ALREADY RECIEVED, and stop blaming the vendors or their agents for wanting the debt settled.

davo10 wrote: »
    I really don't get people who say they are being "harassed" over a debt. Each consumer must take responsibility for the debts they accumulate and stop trying to blame the provider/vendor when they look for payment.

How many posters have posted the same story as the OP?. If you avail of a service or obtain goods, you are obliged to pay for them in a timely fashion as per T&C's, if you can't then you should not have obtained them in the first place.

Debt collectors act on behalf of the vendor and they are not harassing you, they are only looking for you to pay what YOU OWE, if you pay it they will leave you alone, if you do not, then they keep calling. Debtors must accept that they are responsible for the amount owed for the goods/services they have ALREADY RECIEVED, and stop blaming the vendors or their agents for wanting the debt settled.

Thank you! Im glad to see someone ealse thinks the same. People dont seem to realise that the ESB, Airtricity or who ever it might be are business the same as any other. People habe the same view with banks i think, they think there just there to give money and when they come looking for whats owed the people clame there being "harassed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I gave up on Direct Debits a long time ago. I know it’s not always possible but not all companies use the system correctly. We all need to take responsibility for what we owe but when you sign up with a Direct Debit it’s supposed to be taken care of. It’s easy to see how you could end up owing money.

It’s better to pay items with online banking or down at the post office.

gospel.

Direct debits mean you don't have control. Fight the power and take control yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

calling twice a day and threatening to come to the house IS harassment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

bluewolf wrote: »
    calling twice a day and threatening to come to the house IS harassment

If you arrange to pay on the first call, there would be no second nor a call to the house. I do not blame them if the debtor is not responding to their requests for the BG debt to be settled. The consumer knows they are availing of a fee accumulating service. A couple of months ago a poster complained about a creditor contacting him by phone 20 times a day, when he was asked if he actually answered the phone any time, he did not post a reply.

If you accumulate a debt by availing of a service, knowing you are liable for the costs of the service and then abdicate responsibility for payment, I do not believe you are in a position to complain when the service provider or their agents phone/call looking for the money THEY ARE OWED..

OP, do you answer the phone each time or are they leaving messages on your phone?

davo10 wrote: »
    If you arrange to pay on the first call, there would be no second nor a call to the house. I do not blame them if the debtor is not responding to their requests for the BG debt to be settled. The consumer knows they are availing of a fee accumulating service. A couple of months ago a poster complained about a creditor contacting him by phone 20 times a day, when he was asked if he actually answered the phone any time, he did not post a reply.

If you accumulate a debt by availing of a service, knowing you are liable for the costs of the service and then abdicate responsibility for payment, I do not believe you are in a position to complain when the service provider or their agents phone/call looking for the money THEY ARE OWED..

OP, do you answer the phone each time or are they leaving messages on your phone?

Yes people are very fast to come on hear to see if they can find a way to getting out of paying for something. People are also very fast to back them up aswell! People use the recession as an excuse aswell they try and get people to feel sorry from them aswell

And it is incorrect to say the debt is never passed to the debt collector. It may not be, but it sometimes can be - so better to check instead of taking it as gospel that the debt collectors don't have to be dealt with.
    I feel sympathy for people having difficulty making ends meet, but talk to someone about it rather than leaving things build up.

And it is incorrect to say the debt is never passed to the debt collector. It may not be, but it sometimes can be - so better to check instead of taking it as gospel that the debt collectors don't have to be dealt with.
    I feel sympathy for people having difficulty making ends meet, but talk to someone about it rather than leaving things build up.

You cant really have sympathy for someone who puts themself into debt by turning a blind eye to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AFAIK the only way for a company to pass/sell your debt over to another person or company is through the courts if a receiver is appointed or if a judgement is made against you.

The usual is that the company pays a collection agency a certain small amount per thousand or hundred debtors for phone calls, letters etc These companies are nothing more than call centres that try to find as much information about you so they can embarrass you into paying by ringing your work number or parents phone number etc or writing to your work or parents address

People with debts under say €100 might get 2 calls a day until they agree to pay up and those with larger amounts may get all the calls plus a series of threatening letters starting with nice ones leading to those threatening court and expenses and agents calling to your house etc.

But you have no dealings with these collection companies so should ignore all contact from them and instead arrange a payment plan directly with the company you owe money to!

If you can afford to pay €10/week to ESB BG or whoever and propose that amount in a payment plan then you MUST pay that even if the company have said they reject the payment plan because €10/week is better than you paying nothing at all! While you are negotiating with the company you should be paying all that you can afford off the debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭infocal

pay to the collector or u may get a record in Irish Credit Bureau.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

infocal wrote: »
    pay to the collector or u may get a record in Irish Credit Bureau.
    Nonsense, as this can only be done by financial institutions! If you owe money to a bank or credit union etc they can take you to court and seek a judgement against you and have the details recorded with the Irish credit bureau but normal companies can only take you to court which costs a lot, they must then seek and obtain a judgement against you which is not easy to do as the judge will most likely give you all opportunities to pay by instalments etc, even if the judgement is obtained the company must then go through the county sheriff and get the bailiffs out but the sheriff will usually only act where there is an excellent chance of recovering goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

I'm gettIng tired of reading "times are hard" in relation to bills for services that people elect to use and agree to pay.

After complaining about getting tired of these posts you continue to lecture the op in numerous further posts.

When I get tired of certain posts I just stop reading them.

rock22 Please stick to the original topic. Don't post off-topic.

dudara

• Advertisement

If the company are being arseholes, I wouldn't side with them - but what's wrong with seeing nothing wrong with them looking for the money they're owed? People who act as if they're being violated when money they owe is requested are the ones who need to look in the mirror - what utter self entitlement. If it's difficult to pay bills, ring them and set up a payment plan. You're incorrect - companies actually do take individual circumstances into account, but it's not their fault either. Damn right I'd side with the company when responsibility is shifted to them.

Er... it still has to be paid. People who are arrogant enough to think they can leave their bills pile up and not even pay a fiver off a week, and say they'll pay "eventually" are the self righteous ones who clearly feel they deserve special treatment.
    Food is even more of a human requirement but you pay for that, why the attitude towards electricity and gas?

Because people have an idea that because the ESB or who ever it might be are a big compnay and make enough money they dont have to pay them and then put the blame on the compnay. People have the same attitude to banks

rock22 wrote: »
    I'm gettIng tired of reading "times are hard" in relation to bills for services that people elect to use and agree to pay.

After complaining about getting tired of these posts you continue to lecture the op in numerous further posts.

When I get tired of certain posts I just stop reading them.
    If the OP just said they had fallen behind in payments and were looking for advice, I wouldn't say a word against them, but when the company gets blamed and the customer won't accept responsibility, it's a different story - I can't see how it's so difficult to grasp the difference.

":)"

You cant really have sympathy for someone who puts themself into debt by turning a blind eye to it
    Well people can get into debt for reasons they can't control - and I do feel sympathy for them.

Well people can get into debt for reasons they can't control - and I do feel sympathy for them.

Of course but there are alot who get themselfs into debt but turn a blind eye to it and try and pass on the blame

That's enough of the back and forth - it's time to return to the OT

dudara

You are wrong on the count you deal with the agency they passed the debt on to as they use these companies only to threaten people into paying.

When I ran into trouble with my AIB Visa, my own fault of course they passed it on to some aganecy who have no legal standing here to begin with. I told that agency to practically go and fook themselves and told them I will only deal with the AIB Credit card dept. I called up the AIB and sorted out my mess avoiding the debt collectors. You are better off dealing with the source as they still carry your debt. Debt collection agencies are used as an extra avenue to get their funds back and to scare folk into paying up.

If people didn't turn a blind eye to it there would be no need to scare people would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭wildflower

just wondering about this arvato people, they recently contacted me about an outstanging bord gais bill- i think she said it was for around €200. i nearly died but then realised i dont have bg anymore since i moved house last year. i asked her the dates and they were for after i had moved house.
    i told her this- she said the bill is in my name. i explained that i rang bg to change my name off the bill and they wouldnt let me- they said the new tenant had to do it so i told land lady who told me she did this. obviously not!!!
    so i contacted bg and they said it was up to me to make sure acc had been changed but how was i supposed to do that? i dont live there anymore and have no contact details for land lady at this stage.
    can i just ignore it? iv recently got married, moved away and changed my name so im thinking they wont find me?
    or is there a way to sort it- bg dont want to know- they say bill is in my name so pay. id nearly rather just pay as i dont need the hassle but i honestly dont have the money- its hard enough to pay my own bills.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Quite basic really. BGE are correct that as the registered customer you are responsible. All you had to do was contact them at the time. As for changed name/married etc - you just said they contacted you!

Strictly speaking you were liable for the debt but the collection agency may cut a deal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Quite basic really. BGE are correct that as the registered customer you are responsible. All you had to do was contact them at the time. As for changed name/married etc - you just said they contacted you!

Strictly speaking you were liable for the debt but the collection agency may cut a deal.

She said that she didnt and they wouldnt let her change then name
    i explained that i rang bg to change my name off the bill and they wouldnt let me- they said the new tenant had to do it so i told land lady who told me she did this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 red12

i recieved letters and phone calls from arvato last year about my littlewoods account i was in debt for around 500euro to which i paid but now 12months on im getting calls from them again stating i owe the same amount i did last year has anyone had the same problem with them

Advertisement